FYI: Reporting is no longer anonymous.

Author: drafterman

Total: 96
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@DebateArt.com
I don't understand why the solution to the mods being unable to keep up with the work isn't too get more mods.
Tyrone
Debates: 1
Tyrone
-->
@DebateArt.com
 I try not to go against the users if there is a way to avoid that. 
If this is true, then you should take my suggestion seriously. I don't expect you to make me a mod after the ruckus I've caused on this site. But you should definitely make Drafterman a mod (if not outright replace Bsh1 with him).

Regardless of my history, though, there's no excuse for blatantly ignoring me like you're doing right now. Don't be an asshole.
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@drafterman
I think you're confused as to what I'm talking about. Reddit moderators are simply people like the moderation team here: unpaid volunteers who have agreed to moderate a subreddit. Yes, they do have access to some tools to help with moderation such as an auto mod, but that has nothing to do with anonymity. They have to deal with the same issue of potentially frivolous reports as any other site does, yet they seem to deal with it just fine.
I have never used reddit so can't be sure but it sounds like they have mod teams per subreddit, whatever that is, which they may have what, thousands? So they have thousands of free volunteer mod teams, we have 2 GLOBAL mods, they moderate everything.

Now, it raises the question why we wouldn't do something like this as well, as in, change the moderation scopes and create a bunch of mod teams managing only some specific things, and well, we might, it may be a good way to go, I don't know but possibly, who knows, but again, implementing something like that would take me a long time, I am no reddit, I can't delegate shit to 50 other devs, that's just me and a friend of mine helping me sometimes and this website is only 3 months old anyway, and reddit is probably a decade old, if not more.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
@Tyrone
If this is true, then you should take my suggestion seriously. I don't expect you to make me a mod after the ruckus I've caused on this site. But you should definitely make Drafterman a mod (if not outright replace Bsh1 with him).

Regardless of my history, though, there's no excuse for blatantly ignoring me like you're doing right now. Don't be an asshole.
I don't ignore you, I just can't handle all of the comments here at the same time without loosing context.

Okay, let's imagine I just say fuck it and make you or drafterman a mod, can you imagine what shit storm RM would start? He would make it his life mission to remove you and drafterman from the mods position. And nothing would change, people will always complain.

But if to be serious, I do think that the current mods do rather a good work, they are not perfect but nobody is or could ever be anyway. 

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@drafterman
I don't understand why the solution to the mods being unable to keep up with the work isn't too get more mods.
The problem is not that they can't keep up with the work, but the fact that they may have to handle a lot of unneeded work, it's just inefficient.

We have 2 mods for like 50 people here and they are already flooded with reports, that's just ridiculous. 

We could and we should get more mods at some point, but we need to build and improve the moderation system first. We'd need to implement layers of mods responsibilities, create different contexts and scopes, like those subreddits things, build a proper admin panel, which now loos like it's 1995 outside the window. But it's going to take time. If we simply add more mods now, they will create lots of confusion, since they'd have different moderation styles, different interpretation of the rules and lots of unnecessary communication to coordinate their efforts. 

Tyrone
Tyrone
I don't ignore you, I just can't handle all of the comments here at the same time without loosing context.
Fine. I apologize for misjudging your motives.

Okay, let's imagine I just say fuck it and make you or drafterman a mod, can you imagine what shit storm RM would start? He would make it his life mission to remove you and drafterman from the mods position. And nothing would change, people will always complain.
Drafterman is a reasonable choice as a mod. He's clearly demonstrated the seriousness, attentiveness, and willingness needed to do the job.

I already conceded that no mod can please everyone. But some mods clearly please more people than others. I think RM throwing a shit storm is better than more than half the site throwing a shit storm (as is currently the case).

But if to be serious, I do think that the current mods do rather a good work, they are not perfect but nobody is or could ever be anyway. 
You don't think the tendency to overreach is a problem?
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
@Castin
@Imabench
@1harderthanyouthink
Also, it's important to note that those that like mods rarely say OMG this mod is amazing while the opposite regularly make threads like this.
So the percentage of users who dislike bsh1 is lower than it appears.

Bsh1 seems to have the following fans:
  • Castin
  • Imabench
  • 1harderthanyouthink
  • You
This is both based on speculation from hints as well as direct posts indicating it.
Aside from those fans, there's "he's alright enough" users like:

• Virtuoso
  • Me
  • Tejretics
  • Disgusted
  • Zeichen
  • Many others

Tyrone
Tyrone
worth noting that most of those users almost never post, whereas the people who have a problem with the mods are actually active on a regular basis
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@DebateArt.com
In fairness when it comes to volume of reported posts, i consistently hit the report button accidentally on my own posts trying to edit them. I mainly use a phone and have bigger hands... wanna fight about it? 😂

Tyrone
Tyrone
^ couldn't tag RM because he blocked me after PMing me an insult... I guess he was scared of the response?
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Tyrone
typical white boy, can’t stand up to the black man
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Tyrone
The users I stated are active and supporting.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@thett3
That's racist to white males.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@DebateArt.com
different interpretation of the rules and lots of unnecessary communication to coordinate their efforts. 

Once you are in a position to I'm a greater amount of moderators, a system of 3 mods selected based upon criteria to be determined, wherein the decision is adjudicated based upon majority decision, similar to circuit courts of appeal, wouldn't be a bad idea fmpov. Then the "lead" moderators could operate as an appeals team? 

Just spitballing ideas here 😏
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Buddamoose
And what if most are idiots or biased out of the judge panel?
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
And what ifost are idiots or biased out of the judge panel?

I noticed that issue right after posting. Having an appeals system adjudicated by a separate set of lead moderators would counter that issue for the most part fmpov. 
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Tyrone
Fine. I apologize for misjudging your motives.

Drafterman is a reasonable choice as a mod. He's clearly demonstrated the seriousness, attentiveness, and willingness needed to do the job.

I already conceded that no mod can please everyone. But some mods clearly please more people than others. I think RM throwing a shit storm is better than more than half the site throwing a shit storm (as is currently the case).

You don't think the tendency to overreach is a problem?

It's okay, I should have replied quicker, that's my fault.

Well, we do have some decent people that could do moderation as well and as I pointed out above, once we have a good tech foundation for that, we'll try to ask more people for help. It's not about me not liking drafterman or any other person, I just don't see a reason to change the mods at the moment.

I don't think it's overreaching. For example, let's take that video that you uploaded recently, truth be told, it made laugh for quite some time but nevertheless, it can easily be extremely offending to certain group of people, which is obvious I hope. So even though some people did enjoy the video, it doesn't change the fact that it was rude in its nature and therefore I think bsh1 (or Virt) made a good decision to remove it***.

*** There is no way to remove only the first post from the topic at the moment, so that's probably why the whole topic was deleted. So this one is also on me.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Buddamoose
I noticed that issue right after posting. Having an appeals system adjudicated by a separate set of lead moderators would counter that issue for the most part fmpov.
Appeals system lol Just as I mentioned in the previous post, we can't even remove first posts from the topics yet, so the appeal system would have to wait a while ... haha

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@DebateArt.com
so the appeal system would have to wait a whi

I realized that from the get go, hence the "once ur in a position to implement a greater amount of moderators." 

It autocorrected it to "I'm" though for some reason. 

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
BSH1 has 1 more day to step down or be replaced before I start pouring money into building a clone site that will actually pay people cash for winning debates.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Wylted
This violates threat CoC and potentially advertising CoC
Logical-Master
Logical-Master
-->
@drafterman
I think the user base should be aware that one of the changes made to the moderation tools is now that reporting is no longer anonymous.

The ability to report behavior anonymously is a crucial element to being able to report in a secure and safe manner. I find it troubling now that moderation can now evaluate reports based upon who is making them.

Massively disagree. Not sure what your intentions were in reporting every vote, but having mods assess every vote on every debate consumes a lot of time and resources and IMO leads them to them making absurd modding decisions like the ones I've pointed out to them in the past. Being able to see who is reporting is a fine means of weeding out frivolous reports and allowing them to narrow down on the stuff that actually needs to get addressed.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Logical-Master
Here is another bsh supporter, proving the population is not majority bsh hating.
Logical-Master
Logical-Master
-->
@drafterman
Or less rule enforcement. For the most part, I think users here can police themselves in the current forum climate. They shouldn't even waste time moderating a fully forfeited debate. And unless a user is flooding/spamming the forums, posting pictures/links to obscene images or doing anything else that seriously and reasonable interferes with most of the other members' ability to enjoy the site, they shouldn't get involved.

1harderthanyouthink
1harderthanyouthink
-->
@RationalMadman
Scheisse, I've barely been around since he's become mod,
Tyrone
Tyrone
-->
@Logical-Master
Or less rule enforcement. For the most part, I think users here can police themselves in the current forum climate. They shouldn't even waste time moderating a fully forfeited debate. And unless a user is flooding/spamming the forums, posting pictures/links to obscene images or doing anything else that seriously and reasonable interferes with most of the other members' ability to enjoy the site, they shouldn't get involved.
I endorse this.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@1harderthanyouthink
Your opinion on bsh1 is?

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Logical-Master
Then tell to me why they can and apparently 'should' allow goldtop and zeichen who are sole-bullies to run rampage but clamp down hard on other users?

Did you even see what Tyrone posted? The guy who agrees with you posted vile, racist vitriol yesterday intentionally trying to aggravate some users so his buddy Thett and a couple others could ROFL at their sake.
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@Logical-Master
for the record the vast majority of forum posts that are reported have been simply ignored since they were deemed not moderatable. That being said, I have discussed with bsh areas where I feel like we are overmoderating. An announcement will be made soon. 

1harderthanyouthink
1harderthanyouthink
-->
@RationalMadman
Meh. I'm not raising pitchforks.