Poll on Moderation

Author: Tyrone

Total: 188
Tyrone
Debates: 1
Tyrone
-->
@Smithereens
It's ridiculous that this sort of behaviour that's been going on in this thread is allowed to stand, but using symbolically offensive words goes too far.
Both should be allowed to stand. I commend Bsh1 for allowing me and RM to duke it out without any significant moderator intervention. None was needed.
Smithereens
Debates: 2
Smithereens
-->
@Tyrone
It's ridiculous that this sort of behaviour that's been going on in this thread is allowed to stand, but using symbolically offensive words goes too far.
Both should be allowed to stand. I commend Bsh1 for allowing me and RM to duke it out without any significant moderator intervention. None was needed.
It's not the behaviours that are allowed that concerns me, it's the behaviours that are banned despite what is allowed. This has all been mod sanctioned so far, which is fair enough imo. But words like tranny and nigger are banned, despite all the other shit that goes down. It's an example of symbolic offence. The mod policy is less interested in avenues of real abuse, and more interested in avenues of symbolic abuse. 

Some of the things in this thread are really cutting close to the line of what I could call real abuse. I find it hard to cognate that word policing has a logical basis when this behaviour is defined as acceptable.  

Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@Tyrone
Go fuck yourself.
This for example, has far greater capacity for harm than flippant use of the word tranny in a conversation. 

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Tyrone
Go fuck yourself.

And this eloquent and well thought out response is why a debate website is probably not the right place for you.
Tyrone
Tyrone
-->
@Smithereens
Some of the things in this thread are really cutting close to the line of what I could call real abuse.
I disagree. It's just some insults being thrown around between a couple guys. We can handle it ourselves.

I find it hard to cognate that word policing has a logical basis when this behaviour is defined as acceptable.  
Fair enough. There's definitely some incoherence there.
Tyrone
Tyrone
-->
@Smithereens
He insulted me, I insulted him back. I don't see what the big deal is.
Tyrone
Tyrone
-->
@Ramshutu
And this eloquent and well thought out response is why a debate website is probably not the right place for you.
Your initial post was unsubstantive garbage, which didn't deserve to be dignified with an "eloquent and well thought out response."

Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@Tyrone
He insulted me, I insulted him back. I don't see what the big deal is.
None really. Tbh if you're gonna have a flame war that's between you. My issue lies elsewhere, as you noted. That's really all my participation in this discussion comes down to.

Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@Smithereens
Priorities are clearly out of whack, and that's enshrined in the letter of the law, which does in fact prohibit saying mean words, but not doing mean things. 

I disagree on the "not doing mean things." Harassment and doxxing are disallowed per the letter of the CoC. The issue I've had from the beginning is the sections on "hate speech" are only ever going to be subjective and lead to inconsistent applications. That inconsistency will cause disfavor and anger at the percieved injustice of it. 

Not to mention, people overwhelmingly dislike PC/SJW nonsense like "hate speech." This is why leftbook groups are lucky to hit 100+ members, and groups like AnCapistan, which legitimately leaves the rules at "don't doxx people like a fuckstick" are filled with members that numbers well into the thousands. Cause at the end of the day, people generally don't care if a group or site they're a part of has bigots. They'd rather be a part of the site where the soup du jour is memes about school shootings, blackface, or whatever troll topic is the flavor that day, then a place where language is policed. 

Cause at the end of the day, the best argument against distasteful and/or hateful ideologies, is to just let them speak. As a bonus it tends to be humurous to boot.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Doesnt matter he will delete the votes against him
ResurgetExFavilla
Debates: 0
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Smithereens
Go fuck yourself.
This for example, has far greater capacity for harm than flippant use of the word tranny in a conversation.
I think that this discrepancy really gets down to the real problem with the CoC and its enforcement: it isn't about preventing harm at all, it's about control. This is a debate site which is supposed to welcome all views, but bsh's enforcement when it comes to things like blackface, words like 'tranny' and 'nigger', and other leftist shibboleths takes for granted that the leftist consensus on these issues is the truth and then enforces the CoC based on that presumption. That means that political bias is baked into the system from the getgo, and that's the problem with a CoC which tries to make conversation 'nice': nice for whom? Many people on the left can't see it, but they would see it real quick if I was mod and decided that using female pronouns for a MtF transgender person was abusive because I, personally, see transgenderism as a mental disorder.

Tyrone
Tyrone
So, I was obviously wrong. There isn't enough public support for replacing Bsh1 as moderator. However, this thread has clearly revealed public support for making moderation policy less strict overall. Perhaps I should have made the poll about that instead of making it about Bsh1.

LESS STRICT
  • Tyrone
  • Wylted
  • Drafterman
  • Imabench
  • TheHammer
  • 1Harderthanyouthink
  • Thett3
  • ResurgetExFavilla
  • Smithereens
  • Buddamoose

SAME / MORE STRICT 
  • RationalMadman
  • YeshuaBought
  • Argent Tongue
  • Mopac
  • Swagnarok
  • Castin
  • Ramshutu
  • Vaarka

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Words bad.

Orange man bad.

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
the leftist consensus

It's not even a leftist consensus, it's a "progressive" consensus thats being browbeat onto everyone else. 80% of americans think political correctness is a problem, a problem thats originating from a group that is roughly 8%. 

ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Buddamoose
Yeah. The sad thing is that this was literally what a bunch of us warned about when the CoC was published (that a few progressive pet causes would become enforced on the whole site) and it's come true in ways that are pretty absurd even by my dim, pessimistic expectations.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
I, personally, see transgenderism as a mental disorder.
And thhat's fine, especially if you can back it up with supporting evidence, but you will not be allowed to do any such thing as that would be considered an attack on transgenders and it won't matter in the least if there are transgenders here or not. So, no matter what evidence you present or what idea, concept you wish to discuss, it will not be allowed if it happens to upset someone here. Essentially, anyone can complain about anything and it will get shut down by the mods.

In other words, it's perfectly acceptable that others insult your intelligence to the 'nth degree, but you will not be allowed to respond to any kind of reasoning of that insult. Essentially, the loons will decide how this forum will be run.

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Greyparrot
If{Human.exe = Republican} Run{racist.exe}
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Buddamoose
I am a human.

Programming bad.

Orange man bad.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Tyrone
Yeah. Unfortunately, this entire thread, and what is going on is exactly the same pattern that has repeated over a million different discussion forums and website since the beginning of the internet, and IRC platforms.

A moderator takes some action for which a small subset disagree. Instead of acting like adults and starting a genuine discussion, they spend the next few weeks throwing their toys out of their pram, making ridiculous posts like this, and others, trolling, rolling around in histrionic faux rage because you don’t have the capacity to realize that collaborative websites aren’t just about your feelings.

its almost some free speech nonsense, where people basically decide to bash a moderator as some sort of authoritarianism out of control Nazi for daring to take a stand against something you dont agree with.

its ridiculous sh*t like this, that makes moderators reluctant to do anything at all, which leads to deterioration of websites as “anything goes” invariably means a race to the bottom. It’s why it took years to get Bronto banned on DDO, and why a bunch of Russian bot accounts are still there.

So pull those training pants up, and act like a grown up. 

As as I said: people like you are literally the reason we can’t gave nice things.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Ramshutu
its ridiculous sh*t like this, that makes moderators reluctant to do anything at all, which leads to deterioration of websites as “anything goes” invariably means a race to the bottom. It’s why it took years to get Bronto banned on DDO, and why a bunch of Russian bot accounts are still there.

So pull those training pants up, and act like a grown up. 

As as I said: people like you are literally the reason we can’t gave nice things.

Actually, there are still bot accounts all over DDO because Juggle never gave Airmax the tools to enforce things like wide-range IP bans and served as absentee landlords. Without the physical tools to manage mass spam attacks, where literally millions of posts can be put up quickly, he would have had to delete each post individually or do regular mass, time-gated deletions.The bots are there because their spamming screws with things like search engine algorithms and Alexa rankings, not to actually advertise products, and Juggle doesn't care because they still make ad money on the clicks. Typical overconfident buffoonery, lol, especially your inability to realize that you and many other religion forum posters offer the same one-dimensional contributions that Bronto did, you just run the other side of the script.
Tyrone
Tyrone
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Typical overconfident buffoonery, lol, especially your inability to realize that you and many other religion forum posters offer the same one-dimensional contributions that Bronto does, you just run the other side of the script.
owned
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Not a single other person had a contribution even close to as brazenly disruptive as bronto - and bronto went on for over a year of dozens of posts per day, with almost no actual content. He should have been banned after a week, but he wasn’t because of histrionic nobbers, and fear about “free speech” nonsense like this.

There are also at least 4 active Russian account posting occasional propaganda, that were never banned even though they were obvious propaganda accounts, I believe you’re confused with the spampocalypse - which was something else.

While you deviated off onto a wild tanget, let’s go back to the main crux of my argument, which you seem to have ignored. 

When confronted with a moderator action you don’t like, you can either deal with it like an adult, or you can launch into this sort of panty twisted histrionic nonsense, where a bunch of drama queens start multiple threads and arguments, and work themselves up into a mastabatory rage about how gosh-darn unfair and anti-free-speech those one or two decision was.

If you’re not capable of dealing with opposing view points like actual adults with reasoned discussion and dialog - I would suggest a debate website is probably the last place you should be frequenting.

Tyrone
Tyrone
-->
@Ramshutu
When confronted with a moderator action you don’t like, you can either deal with it like an adult, or you can launch into this sort of panty twisted histrionic nonsense, where a bunch of drama queens start multiple threads and arguments, and work themselves up into a mastabatory rage about how gosh-darn unfair and anti-free-speech those one or two decision was.
When confronted with a moderator who consistently takes actions I view as irrational, it is perfectly reasonable for me to advocate replacing him.
Simply calling it "histrionic nonsense" does not make it so. Either engage with the substance of my arguments or fuck off.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Ramshutu
Histrionic nonsense bad.

Russian bot bad.

Orange man bad.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Tyrone
So, I was obviously wrong. There isn't enough public support for replacing Bsh1 as moderator. However, this thread has clearly revealed public support for making moderation policy less strict overall. Perhaps I should have made the poll about that instead of making it about Bsh1.

LESS STRICT
  • Tyrone
  • Wylted
  • Drafterman
  • Imabench
  • TheHammer
  • 1Harderthanyouthink
  • Thett3
  • ResurgetExFavilla
  • Smithereens
  • Buddamoose

SAME / MORE STRICT 
  • RationalMadman
  • YeshuaBought
  • Argent Tongue
  • Mopac
  • Swagnarok
  • Castin
  • Ramshutu
  • Vaarka
Eh I don't really identify with the strict list, even though I'm in favor of bish. I actually thought he could stand to relax some restrictions and be more transparent. But when I told him so yesterday and offered some ideas for change, he approved them pretty much immediately. It's why I don't get the "bish never listens to feedback" complaint. When I made my suggestions I stuck to policy arguments without character attacks. That would be my advice.
Tyrone
Tyrone
LESS STRICT
  • Tyrone
  • Wylted
  • Drafterman
  • Imabench
  • TheHammer
  • 1Harderthanyouthink
  • Thett3
  • ResurgetExFavilla
  • Smithereens
  • Buddamoose
  • Goldtop
  • Castin

SAME / MORE STRICT 
  • RationalMadman
  • YeshuaBought
  • Argent Tongue
  • Mopac
  • Swagnarok
  • Ramshutu
  • Vaarka
Tyrone
Tyrone
-->
@Castin
But when I told him so yesterday and offered some ideas for change, he approved them pretty much immediately. It's why I don't get the "bish never listens to feedback" complaint. When I made my suggestions I stuck to policy arguments without character attacks. That would be my advice.
No offense, but they weren't exactly groundbreaking changes. My experience in dealing with him thus far tells me that he's completely unwilling to substantially loosen up his moderation style. That being said, I've started talking to him privately, and he's given me some reason to hope that I'm mistaken. So I suppose we'll see where that goes.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Tyrone
It being Histrionic nonsense is what makes it Histrionic nonsense.  You’re not “advocating for a replacement mod”, your openly and publically attempting to undermine both the administration and moderation on d a website you give no financial or active time support to because you don’t like what one of the moderators did and think that the entire world not revolving around you and your opinion means the sky is falling.

Publically bombarding the forums like this is histrionic idiocy. If you want to deal with moderation issues, there are other more appropriate and better ways of getting your point across other than throwing public temper tantrums.

Websites like this need significant moderation to survive because it’s content driven - if they don’t have it - they degenerate quickly and drive out genuine discussion and replace it with people who are fine with swearing, asanine trolling and insults. That’s what 4chan is for.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
ummm
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
LESS STRICT
  • Tyrone
  • Wylted
  • Drafterman
  • Imabench
  • TheHammer
  • 1Harderthanyouthink
  • Thett3
  • ResurgetExFavilla
  • Smithereens
  • Buddamoose
  • Goldtop
  • Castin
  • SupaDudz

SAME / MORE STRICT 
  • RationalMadman
  • YeshuaBought
  • Argent Tongue
  • Mopac
  • Swagnarok
  • Ramshutu
  • Vaarka 
I think the policies make sense. I disagree with swearing and some stuff. So I would put myself as less strict because of my personal views