Should reparations be provided for slavery?

Author: drlebronski

Total: 148
badger
Debates: 0
badger
If I could speak Chinese I might be on some website telling Chinese dudes to calm down lol. 
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@badger
Freeing the slaves 'was, something different.

"If someone says, you whiters are just a bunch of slavers"
It's annoying, hypocritical, and a poor depiction of reality.
Thus a brief history lesson is given.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
Thats what maijr23 would say, he thinks every white person is genetically racist "in general"
badger
badger
-->
@Lemming
Freeing the slaves 'was, something different.
Freeing the slaves was like the most basic fucking shit you could have done lol. Weird thing to pat yourself on the back for, dude.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@badger
All of those dead Americans was the 'least we could do?
The ravaged country?
Brother killing brother?
People beaten, starved, inhumanly treated in military prisons?

Number or Ratio
Description
750,000 Total number of deaths from the Civil War 2
504 Deaths per day during the Civil War
2.5% Approximate percentage of the American population that died during the Civil War
7,000,000 Number of Americans lost if 2.5% of the American population died in a war today

Not that 'I maintain the war to be fought for slaveries purpose.
I say state rights.

badger
badger
-->
@Lemming
Better than the next guy, depending what side of it you were on. I think the likes of Double are on the right side of this one. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@badger
I don’t exactly have an economic plan drafted onto my website but this is why I generally support policies aimed an ensuring all Americans have as close to an equal opportunity to be successful as possible. So things like ensuring that schools are equally funded so you don’t have rich kids getting a better education than kids in poor neighborhoods, progressive taxation and estate taxes, finding ways to reduce college admissions… essentially anything that targets the less advantaged aside from just handing them money.

The reason I don’t believe in reparations is because it’s the wrong approach. I believe policies targeting the less advantaged in our society the best way to move forward because it will have the effect of uplifting those who are still impacted by our past but will do it in a way that is fair and just to all Americans.

In the end I think we all believe mostly the same thing, that our fortunes are and should be the result of our decisions. What I think is largely overlooked by the political right is that the circumstances we are born into has a big impact on our ability to make good decisions. - Double_R
Then badger, are we not in agreement?

drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
If you put someone in slavery for 400 years then segregation for 150 years and then you make segregation illegal but don't do anything to lift them back up out of poverty the fact remains.
If your playing monopoly and your opponent starts with way more money and gets 1 hour to play before you can join the game you're gonna lose the game.
badger
badger
Then badger, are we not in agreement?

I'm drunk honestly, but you looked like you disagreed with me lol. 
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Sum1hugme
"Why should I, as a tax payer, have to pay reparations to someone I have never harmed in my life." your tax dollars going to something else that will help a community that was put down for over 500 years isn't harming you just like your tax dollars going to a city project isn't harming you.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@badger
lol
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
It has been a work in progress.
'I didn't put 'anyone into slavery, 'nor keep anyone in slavery.
Nor did any of 'my bloody ancestors, so far as I know.
Nor would it be 'vital to me if they did.

BAH! I say, shall we repay Mexico for Texas, the Native Americans for the blasted third of the continent, the Chinese for our escapades there, crawl pon our knees a scrabbling to the middle east apologizing for all our drone strikes, say sorry bout the nukes Japan?

Shall the descendants of the Russian serfs be paid, shall we give way all our money goods and territory to Africa that they don't 'feel bad of their circumstances?
In the words of South Park, shall I apologize to Jessie Jackson?

Nein, not I.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@badger
I 'am against reparation's, as was the quote of Double_R, looked to me.
badger
badger
-->
@Lemming
Yours and Double's posts look nothing alike to me, dude. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
Would modern African Americans be 'wealthier in Africa, had their ancestors stayed?
Never been brought over?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@badger
Yes, well, you're drunk, by your own statement.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
"'I didn't put 'anyone into slavery, 'nor keep anyone in slavery." no one said you did your not being punished your tax dollars are just going to something else.

"BAH! I say, shall we repay Mexico for Texas, the Native Americans for the blasted third of the continent, the Chinese for our escapades there, crawl on our knees a scrabbling to the middle east apologizing for all our drone strikes, say sorry bout the nukes Japan?

Shall the descendants of the Russian serfs be paid, shall we give way all our money goods and territory to Africa that they don't 'feel bad of their circumstances?
In the words of South Park, shall I apologize to Jessie Jackson?"

this is a common argument but it doesn't give any evidence as to why we shouldn't fix the conditions of most black people in america. also what you provided does not negatively affect anyone today besides countries territories.  
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
"Would modern African Americans be 'wealthier in Africa, had their ancestors stayed?
Never been brought over?"
They were slaves dude they didn't have any money nor could buy anything. also i'm not going to assume anything but when I argue with neo-nazis they use this to defend slavery. Though i dont think your defending it at all; but people could take it as that

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
A country is effected 'by it's territories.
You think if the Natives Americans had not lost their land, they would be as few and poor as they are today?

You think the Mexican governments integrity, it's unity as a country was not effected by the Mexican War, that such left no lasting marks?
That their GDP is not effected by being removed of Texas?

That the 'living do not still exist in the Middle East, cursing the Eagle?

That 'China, was not harmed by the burning of the Summer Palace, or foreigners interfering with it's government, workings?

Help the poor, yes, though any proper society or community, wouldn't need big government to gain power and sink it's claws in.
I am 'against singling out a race to help.

All this constant give the blacks more exposure and money for nothing, gives me, is an irritation of racial viewing the world, myself.
Though fortunately, I like myself far more than vague racial categories I could be said to belong.
Race, race, race, so 'important to some people, such quality they give it, meaning.
When all that needs be done is treat humans as humans.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
I'm not defending slavery, I'm asking,
Are modern African Americans better off currently, than the modern day inhabitants of the spot of Earth, their ancestor originally inhabited?

I'm 'attacking, the notion that slavery in the past, harmed the African Americans of today.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
i suppose you're right that it does affect other countries. but your just giving me atrocities america made again nothing as to prove why we shouldn't lift black people from poverty.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
i have no idea but most likely yes. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
I don't mind individuals and groups being Paladins, crusading, working soup kitchens,
But unless I voluntarily say yes, I say 'bah, I'll not be voluntold.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
"I'm 'attacking, the notion that slavery in the past, harmed the African Americans of today" it did theres plenty of evidence the argument that they would are better off than in africa doesnt prove anything.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
You think so?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
"'I didn't put 'anyone into slavery, 'nor keep anyone in slavery." - Lemming
no one said you did your not being punished your tax dollars are just going to something else. - drlebronski

You are 'specifically insinuating 'everyone but the blacks themselves, 'owe the blacks their tax dollars, ought put them on a pedestle, walk about it three times saying I'm sorry, then watch some 12 hour history channel about all the grand African American culture.

You single out 'blacks for lifting, because of 'slavery.
You 'don't single out 'poor people, it's 'black people in your words.
Never mind the conditions in life that led to poor white, Asian, Hispanic, Native Americans to starting behind in monopoly, it's 'specifically the 'black people.

Never mind the Irishman who came with naught but a potato.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
no one owes blacks their tax dollars. would you have problems with your tax dollars going to providing for a race that has been put down by society? would you only allow tax dollars to go into funding city projects?
no ones putting them on a pedestal and saying sorry its called righting a wrong i think that's how it goes.

"You single out 'blacks for lifting, because of 'slavery.
You 'don't single out 'poor people, it's 'black people in your words.
Never mind the conditions in life that led to poor white, Asian, Hispanic, Native Americans to starting behind in monopoly, it's 'specifically the 'black people."
my definition of giving them reparations is fixing the poor areas where primarily black people live.

I'm not singling anyone out fixing poor communities would benefit anyone who lives there regardless of race. though i suppose my wording was quite bad.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
I have mixed feelings out taxes in general, also little to no research, on how it is spent.
I don't like taxes, or having pay taxes on land if 'I own it, because it means I don't 'really own it, that I'm beholden to the government.
But I suspect it's 'difficult to be a powerful nation, without a strong central government, Afghanistan is more an exception, because of weird terrain and culture, from what I've read.
Power is needed to defend what privilege's we have, so we give up some.

If people avoided certain words and phrasings, their causes would go much easier with people.
drlebronski
drlebronski
no one likes taxes.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
Are modern African Americans better off currently, than the modern day inhabitants of the spot of Earth, their ancestor originally inhabited?
https://www.economist.com/democracy-in-america/2014/05/27/cutting-through-the-nonsense article i found on the topic. NOTE to read it you might have to sign up with an email just go to gmailnator.com and u can get a fake temporary email.