Do grades determine your intelligence?

Author: drlebronski

Total: 79
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@Intelligence_06
So you think having intimate relationships intentionally makes you grade E? Why?

I didnt intend that is true for all people in all situations. Some may allow some other social contructs to take priority of their studiou nature and flunk out. I think ive seen this in movies or tv series. Smart person is failing and teacher doesnt understand why.  Hypothetical.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@ebuc
 I think ive seen this in movies or tv series.
Survivalship bias. Those TV series are mostly fictional and those real people who deserve video cut works are already the chosen few.

Smart person is failing and teacher doesnt understand why.
Either the smart person was not trying or the teacher is not smart. What else?

Some may allow some other social contructs to take priority of their studiou nature and flunk out.
Doing so after college is fine and normal, doing so before college is not.

AleutianTexan
Debates: 4
AleutianTexan
-->
@Greyparrot
Wasn't the origin of modern education factory training?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@AleutianTexan
Absolutely.

43 days later

DavidAZ
Debates: 8
DavidAZ
I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but grades are factored on two things.  The ability to retain the information and the desire to do the work.  I HATED doing homework so I never did it and I never did the projects either.  I zeroed on all my homework assignments that I couldn't finish in class.  I never did the projects.  However, when taking the tests and finals, I would ace them.  I graduated HS with a 2.3 GPA (I think).  To me a GPA is how much effort you put into school.  I was VERY lazy in my HS years.

23 days later

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Many intellectually gifted individuals are known to be academically lazy. I personally know a couple of real sharp guys but they want to play chess instead of doing homework. One of these individuals even landed a 1390 SAT without studying too much but only has a 3.2 GPA. Noticeably lacking in my personal experience are any of the smart girls who really lack motivation. How can it be that guys consistently year after year do better on standardized tests but don't do as well with school grades or go to college as much? The answer is obvious
badger
badger
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Not just your experience. Women dominate med and computer science schools the world over. 

So what's the reason?
Platypi
Debates: 1
Platypi

In the states I have lived in, most everyone can get an "A" in high school.  College isn't much more complicated than high school.  It just takes more work, and you need to be fine at scheduling.  Maybe some people will drop down a letter grade, and more if they get distracted.  As far as I'm concerned, above average grades indicate above average chance of graduating.  One great argument I've heard for consciously working to obtain "good" grades is to secure financial backing for your education, and of course making your mother happy. 

After graduation it's rarely discussed, and I don't entertain that it has practical applications.   I am wary of a false sense of entitlement so don't present yourself in that way, but I probably won't care. 

I don't read into it any more than that. 

8 days later

Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn
-->
@iloveshin
if you take intelligence as a term by itself it is very vast because there are many types of inteligence, emotional logical musical...
If a type of intelligence isn't g-loaded then it isn't a real type of intelligence. I haven't seen a replicatable, g-loaded study that tested purely for 'musical' or 'emotional' intelligence. 

You need to prove that these types are g-loaded and can be tested for, before you start asserting that they exist.

so no if you concider that grades determine your intelligence overall that would  be simply incorrect.
however if we are talking about logical, mathematical intelligence it is correct because for example :
someone who has a good logic will do great in a math exam and would get a good grade 
on the other side someone who doesn't have good logic or a good understanding of mathemathical facts would get a bad grade 
it does not mean you are dumb it just means that you are lacking of logic
Your ability to learn 'logic', particularly at the more complex levels, will correlate heavily with I.Q. (a proxy for intelligence). If other confounding variables are controlled for (i.e. well-restedness, nutrious diet, effort etc.) and you're still receiving poor grades, then perhaps your lack of intelligence is letting you down.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Depends on what kind of grades. I am serious, one of the kids in my grade is flunking appropriate-level Chemistry and Biology but has a Gold in UKChO, BBO and participates in HOSA. The reason? AP Chem and Bio requires a tremendous amount of English comprehension and writing skills and that guy is not good at writing. In other words, he gets the point but is unable to convey them on a test sheet of paper that earns him points in a consistent fashion.

Another kid participated in AIME and is learning university level mathematics but not using English textbooks, because again he is not good at English as he is at Mathematics. For this reason he sometimes lose big points in some subjects not because he miscalculated the value of something, but merely that he didn't know what the value is for because he didn't understand the question in the assigned time. The lack of some skills really truncate the latent perspective for others and we can't just say one is equally stupid as another when one kid has 2/3 required set of abilities and is just missing the last step to glory and the other one is not trying.

Good that my times in DArt has served me well when it comes to writing. At least I don't have to be labeled "not smart" when I am trying to be smart.

56 days later

ProfessorS17Jr
Debates: 8
ProfessorS17Jr
-->
@drlebronski
In my opinion, grades are just a measuring system that schools created to determine how much information kids can remember over the course of a year. If you remember most of the content from the year, you get a good grade. If you happen to have a bad memory, or don't pay attention, then you get a bad grade. But having a good or bad grade doesn't determine whether or not a person is intelligent. Intelligence, unlike school grades, come from knowledge you already have and how well you can apply it. School grades students on their ability to know info that they might not need in the future, not on the knowledge they might already have about the world and how to navigate it. Therefore, I believe grades do not define a person's intelligence.

201 days later

FLRW
FLRW

So overall, there is consistent evidence of a moderate to strong correlation between academic grades and measured intelligence.
I am glad my mother was valedictorian of her class.

70 days later

7000series
Debates: 3
7000series
To succeed at school you need to do 2 of these things:
  • Have a perfect recall memory
  • Be organized
  • Work hard
Benjamin
Debates: 79
Benjamin
-->
@7000series
  • Be organized
  • Work hard
Not me. I am a forgetfull fellow with ADHD. I literally have no idea how I even survived school, let alone got good grades.
7000series
Debates: 3
7000series
-->
@Benjamin
Congrats to Benjamin!
sadolite
sadolite
Grades sure as hell don't determine fiscal intelligence.

JoeBob
JoeBob
-->
@7000series
  • Be organized
  • Work hard
I am still in school and I would consider myself succeeding and I do none of those. I have a good memory but it’s not perfect, to hell with organization, and I do the work givin to me and nothing more.
JoeBob
JoeBob
-->
@7000series
Point is, it doesn’t boil down to those three things.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Benjamin
Self deprecation and innate ability are two different issues.