I still do not understand how the Trinity is a coherent concept

Author: TheMorningsStar

Total: 54
TheMorningsStar
Debates: 0
TheMorningsStar
So often when I talk with Christians about the Trinity they use analogies which more align with the heretical views of modalism, partialism, or tritheism. When they don't offer those analogies they tend to either use such vague terminology that it isn't clear what they are talking about, simply give a link to a source that will 'explain' it for them, or simply admit that they don't understand it either.

Now, it could be that the issue is that I tend to get into these types of discussions in more casual forums with people that do not often engage in debate, and so hopefully, this being a debate-centric website, that won't be an issue here. I'm not saying that it cannot be done, but simply that I have not yet seen it done.

To those that believe the classical idea of Trinity (upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/Shield-Trinity-Scutum-Fidei-English.svg/1138px-Shield-Trinity-Scutum-Fidei-English.svg.png), can you explain it in a way that is easily understandable and not heretical?
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@TheMorningsStar
can you explain it in a way that is easily understandable and not heretical?
Yes and no. Easily understandable sure. But since apparently everything is heretical (seriously, I've literally been called a heretic for stating that Jesus didn't hate women), I doubt any explanation I could offer could not be damned as such.

All three parts of the trinity are distinct aspects of one God, separate from each other individually, but part of the greater whole.

To use a cooking analogy:
It's a little bit like if you separated the ingredients of a delicious cookie. Simplified down: Flour, sugar, and chocolate chips. Which are all great and useful in themselves but they are not the same as each other, yet when combined something magical happens. Of course this is where Dogma tends to pull it towards incoherence, as someone could counter that each ingredient alone is not the cookie without the others, whereas Jesus was supposed to be God... Jesus was God, but was not all of God, as God wanted to experience being human and being wholly human, so he had to be empty of certain aspects that would contradict with a human and growing and learning while in that state (granted, some Christians accuse the bible of lying when it says Jesus grew in knowledge...).

To use a pop culture analogy:
All the Voltron lions are Voltron, but they are each not the other lions.
Fruit_Inspector
Debates: 20
Fruit_Inspector
One God, three Persons.

The Father is God, the Son is God, the Spirit is God.

However, the Father is not the Son or the Spirit. The Son is not the Father or the Spirit. And the Spirit is not the Father or the Son.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Barney
To use a cooking analogy
The problem is, as you pointed out, that this ends up with partialism, which is a heresy, as each ingredient is not equal to a cookie.

I am unfamiliar with Voltron, and so the analogy doesn't really work well for helping me understand, sorry. In what way are each of the lions = Voltron?
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
One God, three Persons.
The Father is God, the Son is God, the Spirit is God.
However, the Father is not the Son or the Spirit. The Son is not the Father or the Spirit. And the Spirit is not the Father or the Son.
Okay, but how does that logically work?
It is, to me, like you are saying the four following are true:
A = D
B = D
C = D
A =/= B =/= C

But to me this seems illogical. That is why I am asking for it to be further explained in a coherent way so I can see how it works.
Athias
Athias
-->
@TheMorningsStar
The three are incarnations of the same being. Each incarnation has their idiosyncrasies but together they create the composite which is God. The sinister interpretation of this trinity is also reflected in Luciferianism, where the Father God (Horned God,) The Mother Goddess, and the Divine Child (hermaprodite child) create the composite/embodiment of Lucifer Morningstar.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Athias
create the composite/embodiment of Lucifer Morningstar.
Just because my username is TheMorningsStar doesn't mean I know anything about Luciferianism, so the analogy does nothing to help.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@TheMorningsStar
If A, B, C, and D were all of the same category, then it would be illogical. But A, B, and C are referring to persons. D is referring to being. The Father, Son, and Spirit are not separate beings, yet they are distinct persons within one being.

Another way to say it would be that being refers to what God is, while person's refer to who God is.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
 But A, B, and C are referring to persons. D is referring to being
What exactly is 'being' and how is it separate from 'persons'?

Because this:
Another way to say it would be that being refers to what God is, while person's refer to who God is.
Still doesn't clear it up to me. Obviously you aren't using 'being' as some sort of category or set of attributes in which the three 'persons' share, as that would create the heresy of tritheism, and so I am not quite clear on what exactly is meant by 'being'.
Athias
Athias
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Just because my username is TheMorningsStar doesn't mean I know anything about Luciferianism, so the analogy does nothing to help.
I know. I was just teasing. Jesus also refers to himself as a morning star in Revelations.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Athias
I know. I was just teasing
I chose the name ironically. I'm a pagan and wear a pentagram necklace and so often have Christians accuse me of being a satanist and so chose the username TheMorningsStar out of irony from that
Athias
Athias
-->
@TheMorningsStar
What exactly is 'being' and how is it separate from 'persons'?
I would suppose that being simply does not mean corporeal which is limited to physical constitution, where as a spiritual form is infinite. ∞/3 = ∞. So God/3 = God.
Athias
Athias
-->
@TheMorningsStar
I chose the name ironically. I'm a pagan and wear a pentagram necklace and so often have Christians accuse me of being a satanist and so chose the username TheMorningsStar out of irony from that
Then you are a Luciferian. Lucifer =/= satan. Satan is an incarnation of Lucifer, particularly what's understood as the Baphomet. But paganism would fall within Luciferianism as would Satanism.

TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Athias
 But paganism would fall within Luciferianism
I do not see how that follows, unless we go off the idea that all pagan gods (whether we go with the Greek pantheon, the Norse, etc.) are various incarnations of Lucifer, but that is something I feel requires one to presuppose a very particular view of Christianity as being true.
Athias
Athias
-->
@TheMorningsStar
I do not see how that follows, unless we go off the idea that all pagan gods (whether we go with the Greek pantheon, the Norse, etc.) are various incarnations of Lucifer, but that is something I feel requires one to presuppose a very particular view of Christianity as being true.
All of the gods of the Greek and Norse pantheon are derivatives of the Luciferian Trinity. As well as the Celtic gods, Eygptian/Kemetic Gods, the Sumerian/Semetic gods, etc.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Athias
All of the gods of the Greek and Norse pantheon are derivatives of the Luciferian Trinity
I assume you have some good evidence to back this claim up? Because it seems like quite the absurd claim to me.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@TheMorningsStar
It would be similar to recognizing what a human is and who a human is.

Human is a category. I would define a human as being made up of both a physical and spiritual aspect - body and soul. We are not debating how to define what a human is so let's just go with that for the sake of argument. So that tells us what a human being is.

And since humans are personal beings, that means they have will, desires, emotions, etc. This is distinct from animals, plants, and inanimate objects. Those all have being but lack personality.

So what a human is would be a body and soul. Who a human is consists of their will, desires, emotions, etc. I am a single being and a single person.

This would be a similar distinction for God. I will note that this is not a perfect comparison because God does not have multiple personality disorder. But God is also not subject to human psychology. God is a single, eternal, uncreated being that is spirit (no body). That is what God is. There are not three eternal beings, nor three created beings. But God is also a personal being, in that He has a will, desires, emotions, etc. There are three persons (Father, Son, and Spirit). All three are not partially God, but fully God
Athias
Athias
-->
@TheMorningsStar
All you have to do is do your due diligence in researching these ancient religions. In my early days, I did extensive research into the origins of Greek, Norse, and Egyptian mythology. Look up the connection between Amun-Ra and Zeus. And in Alexander the Great's victories, he would always claim that he was Zeus himself. So then explain why his image is associated with horns.

All of these pagan gods are just derivative of the Sumerian gods, which themselves are derivative of Lucifer.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Athias
Ah yes, the great deflection. Simply say "Do your research!" without providing the evidence. Perfect. Sorry to say that I have done my research and you will find it hard to find any way to show how these gods are derived from the Sumerian gods (as there is too much missing information about the early pantheons in many cases) and will also find it impossible to show that the Sumerian gods are derivatives of Lucifer.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Have you seen the TV series, Lucifer?
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@FLRW
Yes, and I have read the comics it is loosely based on.
Athias
Athias
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Ah yes, the great deflection. Simply say "Do your research!" without providing the evidence.
It's not a deflection. The information is extensive. So I leave it to you contingent on your interest in the subject. If not, and you're just looking for me to compile information on yet to be defined metrics of "acceptable evidence"--it should be noted that arguments are forms of evidence--then that conveys enough to me about whether or not I'm willing to engage you seriously on the subject. I've already given you a nudge in the right direction (Amun-Ra and Zeus,) to which you have yet to respond; so let's see what you make of it.

Sorry to say that I have done my research and you will find it hard to find any way to show how these gods are derived from the Sumerian gods
It's not difficult at all, undermining your claim that you've done your research. If you did any research, it wasn't very much.

as there is too much missing information about the early pantheons in many cases
In reference to which information is that?

and will also find it impossible to show that the Sumerian gods are derivatives of Lucifer.
Do your research.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@TheMorningsStar
To use a cooking analogy
The problem is, as you pointed out, that this ends up with partialism, which is a heresy, as each ingredient is not equal to a cookie.
Yes. A key problem is that the heresies are often stupid, seemingly (but not always... as some interpretations are simply insane) made by people who want to put Jesus up on a pedestal, then worship the pedestal instead of Jesus.

Two basic biblical facts:
  • God is all knowing.
  • Jesus was not all knowing.
So yes, I am defending partialism as biblical, even if many would say whatever book (the bible) I got that from should be burnt.

Jesus being God is of course not simplistic, and it is not meant to be.

I am unfamiliar with Voltron, 
You're missing out! And it would get convoluted to explain the mythos of that cartoon, but basically as explained by Ryan Reynolds: "five mini-lion-bots come together to form one super-bot!"
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@Athias
It's not a deflection.
It is, and you pretending it isn't makes it clear you are either dishonest or ignorant.

If you did any research, it wasn't very much.
I spent years at university studying exactly this. You, what? Read a few apologetics blogposts? Considering how you are unable to give any actual evidence or academic sources it seems likely that is the case.

In reference to which information is that?
Let's start with the Norse, shall we? The Norse didn't write their own stories down, or, at least, it seems they didn't as we have no sources written by the Norse about their own mythology. What is essentially the only pre-Christian source we have comes in the form of Tacitus's 'Germania', which is not the most helpful of sources as it records some basic information but does the classic Roman Synchronism and thus we have to guess which gods correlate with the Roman gods that Tacitus used in his writings. We have basically nothing of their mythology here though.

We don't really get much until Snorri writes the Prose Edda in about it in 1200CE, but he does the classic thing where he says the Norse gods are Trojan Heroes that fled to the north and were worshipped. He also wrote the Prose Edda for political purposes to unify Norway and Iceland, so there is going to be the absolute Christian and political bias involved in this first telling of the myths, and it was written 200 years after Scandinavia became Christian, so while they can be useful they also remain unreliable on some level.

We also have cave paintings from the Nordic Bronze Age (which lasted from around 1700BCE - 500BCE) that some archaeologists suggest depict Mjolnir and some that depict Skinfaxi (and other aspects that survived until it was recorded by Snorri and others), thus the Norse pantheon has roots to this early in time.

If we wish to try, on any level, to connect this pantheon to anything earlier than this or outside of this we have to assume they adopted a lot of their ideas from Mycenaean Greece, who they traded with on some level, but at that point it would be an assumption that is impossible to support with evidence. What makes the connection even more dubious is that the Mycenaean Greeks don't have any known parallels with these in their religions. The later Greeks do, but that would suggest that they would have gotten the idea from the Norse rather than the other way around.

Thus you would have to assume these mythological connections went from Sumeria to Scandinavia and then went back down through Europe and only then started entering into the religions there. I would love to see the evidence of this.

I don't have time to do this with literally every religion, and I could go on and on about it with just the Norse, but to make things more clear how insane your ideas are...

and will also find it impossible to show that the Sumerian gods are derivatives of Lucifer.
Do your research.
The Sumerians lasted from 5400 BCE - 1750 BCE, the religion having its origins in the earlier part of this or possibly stemming from pre-Sumerian mythos.

Lucifer ultimately stems from the Canaanite god Attar and is associated with the planet Venus. Now, unless you wish to say any god associated with the planet Venus is automatically Luciferian then it is hard to go any further back than Attar, maybe Helel from a reconstructed earlier Canaanite myth but that is relying on reconstruction of a myth without much text surviving to know for sure of Attar and Helel are connected.

So, can we somehow connect Helel as the inspiration of the Sumerian gods? Not even close. Canaan didn't even have much of any immigration into the region until around 4500 BCE! We don't even see records of what we understand to be the Canaanite pantheon until about 3000 BCE at the earliest.

The only hope you have at preserving the idea that the Sumerian gods are derivatives of Lucifer is if you take any god that is associated with Venus as being associated with Lucifer, which gets you one, just one of the Sumerian pantheon, the goddess Inanna. Now you have the tall task of showing that every god from every pagan religions somehow stems from Inanna. If any of them stem not from Venus or Inanna then they are not 'Luciferian'.

And this is only if someone somehow accepts the ludicrous idea that Venus always equals Lucifer. The problem is that in order to accept this one must accept an Abrahamic faith as already being true, otherwise the idea is ridiculous. That is why I said it is impossible, because it only can exist within the realm of apologetics.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@TheMorningsStar

It’s nonsense. A huge lie that millions believe. Ancient Babylon had trinities and that is where the “Christian” version was adopted from about 400 years after Jesus died. 1+1+1=3 even a 2 year old could tell that ,but adults try to tell you it equals one. People have taken a simple Father/Son relationship and turned it into something no one can understand and that the Bible doesn’t teach.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@FLRW
For me it would make sense if they proposed Tritheism. In Celtic paganism there is a goddess known as the Morrigan. She is treated as a single goddess but is a godhead composed of three goddesses working in tandem. Three goddesses that together form a new, singular goddess. That makes sense to me, but to try and say that they are three separate "people" but only one god yet each 'part' is also that one god? It just escapes me. The heresies actually can be made coherent, but I have yet to see the classical trinity be made so. I am not saying it is impossible to do so, I want to give the benefit of the doubt, but it seems less and less likely that I will find the answer here.
Athias
Athias
-->
@FLRW
It is, and you pretending it isn't makes it clear you are either dishonest or ignorant.
I have no need to deflect on a subject which I've broached--even here--before. Look through my past posts.

I spent years at university studying exactly this.
And this means what? I took courses on religion at University. That qualifies my argument no more or less than it does yours. Hence, I told you to "do your research," not "believe in my authority."

You, what? Read a few apologetics blogposts?
I don't read blogs.

Considering how you are unable to give any actual evidence or academic sources it seems likely that is the case.
"Unable" is not the same as "unwilling." I have no intention of having an "academic" debate on this. We're not in school. We're using reason, and logical construction with the application of dated information.

Let's start with the Norse, shall we? The Norse didn't write their own stories down, or, at least, it seems they didn't as we have no sources written by the Norse about their own mythology. What is essentially the only pre-Christian source we have comes in the form of Tacitus's 'Germania', which is not the most helpful of sources as it records some basic information but does the classic Roman Synchronism and thus we have to guess which gods correlate with the Roman gods that Tacitus used in his writings. We have basically nothing of their mythology here though.

We don't really get much until Snorri writes the Prose Edda in about it in 1200CE, but he does the classic thing where he says the Norse gods are Trojan Heroes that fled to the north and were worshipped. He also wrote the Prose Edda for political purposes to unify Norway and Iceland, so there is going to be the absolute Christian and political bias involved in this first telling of the myths, and it was written 200 years after Scandinavia became Christian, so while they can be useful they also remain unreliable on some level.
What evidence do you have of Snorri's absolute Christian and political bias strictly as it pertains to the delineation of Norse mythology?

(Note, I accept arguments as evidence.)

We also have cave paintings from the Nordic Bronze Age (which lasted from around 1700BCE - 500BCE) that some archaeologists suggest depict Mjolnir and some that depict Skinfaxi (and other aspects that survived until it was recorded by Snorri and others), thus the Norse pantheon has roots to this early in time.

If we wish to try, on any level, to connect this pantheon to anything earlier than this or outside of this we have to assume they adopted a lot of their ideas from Mycenaean Greece, who they traded with on some level, but at that point it would be an assumption that is impossible to support with evidence.
How is this any less of an assumption than alleging that someone's "Christian Bias" especially after Scandinavia converted to Christianity compelled one to misrepresent Norse mythology? Why is assuming that Scandinavians retelling and adopting the mythologies from Mycenaean Greece is any more of an assumption than your first one?

What makes the connection even more dubious is that the Mycenaean Greeks don't have any known parallels with these in their religions.
Not every deity will be depicted exactly the same when their stories are transmuted across regions. This is most apparent in Zeus and Amun-Ra, (which you still have yet to address by the way) Gefjun and Demeter and Perswa, etc.

The later Greeks do, but that would suggest that they would have gotten the idea from the Norse rather than the other way around.
Assuming of course, that the later Greeks didn't just transmute their telling from the Mycenaean convention, which wouldn't require the Norse to be the first tellers. And the Greeks weren't the first to come up with their mythologies. 

Thus you would have to assume these mythological connections went from Sumeria to Scandinavia
No, one wouldn't. You left some connections out. Let's gauge your purported intense study. The Mycenaean were located in what's known today as the Balkan peninsula. What other mythologies had influence there? (Hint: I've already mentioned one of them.)

I would love to see the evidence of this.
I cannot give you evidence for a non sequitur.

I don't have time to do this with literally every religion,
What you have time to do is irrelevant. You either do or you don't, and if you don't, then don't mention it.

The Sumerians lasted from 5400 BCE - 1750 BCE, the religion having its origins in the earlier part of this or possibly stemming from pre-Sumerian mythos.

Lucifer ultimately stems from the Canaanite god Attar and is associated with the planet Venus. Now, unless you wish to say any god associated with the planet Venus is automatically Luciferian then it is hard to go any further back than Attar, maybe Helel from a reconstructed earlier Canaanite myth but that is relying on reconstruction of a myth without much text surviving to know for sure of Attar and Helel are connected.

So, can we somehow connect Helel as the inspiration of the Sumerian gods? Not even close. Canaan didn't even have much of any immigration into the region until around 4500 BCE! We don't even see records of what we understand to be the Canaanite pantheon until about 3000 BCE at the earliest.

The only hope you have at preserving the idea that the Sumerian gods are derivatives of Lucifer is if you take any god that is associated with Venus as being associated with Lucifer, which gets you one, just one of the Sumerian pantheon, the goddess Inanna. Now you have the tall task of showing that every god from every pagan religions somehow stems from Inanna. If any of them stem not from Venus or Inanna then they are not 'Luciferian'.
No, the Canaanite God, Attar stems from Lucifer, not the other way around. Now earlier I stated that Lucifer was a trinity, albeit a sinister one. How did I describe it? Father God (Horned God) Mother Goddess and the Divine Child (i.e. "hermaphrodite" child.) Now from where does the term "hermaphrodite" stem? It stems from the greek god Hermaphroditus who was the god of hermaphrodites and effeminates. Hermaphroditus was also known as Erotes, the winged god of Love. Now if we analyze their Roman counter parts, the connection is visible. Who was the consort of Mercury and the mother of Cupid?

And yes, Inanna is an incarnation of Lucifer as well, most notably illustrated in the descent of Inanna when she comfronts her sister Ereshkigal in their conflict over Damuzid--though some tellings may replace Damuzid with his father Enki. These trinities reappear in every mythology. And the pantheons are just incarnations of Father God, Mother Goddess, and Divine Child.

By the way, before this gets lost in our on-going discussion, what kind of pagan are you, as you would describe it? Why do you wear a pentagram necklace?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@TheMorningsStar

And you won't. And that is because it is an idea dreamt  up and fed to the masses to account for the many contradictions that surround the birth, death and so called resurrection of a very human being that Christians believed was a god. And still do . They like to forget that Jesus was a Jew and was "sent only to the lost sheep of ISRAEL," to rescue them from the Roman yoke. Matthew 15:24

The Roman populace wouldn't ever accepted Jesus the Jew to be a god- they had their own god and sons of gods you see - and had been at war with the Jews for what must have seemed like; forever-  so they had to make him one.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Trinity in Cosmic Trinary Outline

1} Eternally existent, Meta-Space { Meta-physical-1/spirit-1 } mind/intellect/concepts ex ego identity { i  }, God, Time, Space, Universe, Toyota's, unicorns, Cats etc are all concepts and have no energy, not a occupied space nor and a non-occupied space,

------------------------conceptual line-of-demarcation----------------

2} Eternally existent, macro-infinite truly non-occupied space, that, embraces the following,

3} Eternally existent, occupied space Universe { tainted God } ---spirit-2, 3 and 4----,

.......3a} spirit-2, fermions, bosons and any aggregate collection thereof, --- associated with sine-wave patterning /\/\/ ex EMradiation and electrons----

........3b} Meta-physical-3 { spirit-3 } ultra-micro, positive shaped geodesic as Gravity (  ),

.........3c} Meta-physical-4 { spirit-4 } ultra-micro, positive shaped geodesics as Dark Energy )(.

..................................space(>*<)  (>*<)space...............................

* *  = bilateral consciousness as associated with sine-wave patterning

i = ego/identity

>< = invaginations from peaks of positive and negative curvature associated with all cosmically quantum tori

(  ) = positive shaped geodesic Gravitational (  ) space

)( = negative shaped geodesic Dark Energy )( space

space = macro-infinite non-occupied space ---see #2 in Cosmic Trinity above---

Space = occupied and truly non-occupied as first primary catagory, that, complement mind/intellect/concepts aka Meta-Space.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@TheMorningsStar
I'm not the typical Christian who tries to fit one God into three personages, or three personages into one God.

It is much more simple, and practical: three separate, holy personages are three separate Gods, united in their purpose to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man, specifically, in our case, Earthlings. Further, we, Earthlings, by our obedience, can ultimately become like them, gods, ourselves, just as children grow into adults, but adults obedient and committed to law: holy law, by which the universe functions. Thus, there are actually many gods, of which our trinity is but one set, dedicated to Earth, who created Earth. our trinity, along with all these other gods,  have created, over time, the expanding universe, each one, a portion of it, peopling planets like our Earth. Such events continue into the eternal past and future, with Earthlings ultimately taking part in that expansion. Our Earth is but one of countless planets created for this purpose for many, many people, each children of a specific one of the many gods. Further, we have Mothers, as well. It is a sensible family organization spread across the universe. We, on Earth, are just one branch of a very extensive family.