Debates: 0
aaaa
Is it ever talked about in the Bible?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@aaaa
Because some humans have always needed to worship a GOD.

And the Bible was written by humans, and not by a GOD.

Therefore the Bible records the wants of humans and not the wants of their proposed GOD.

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
It is not that God wants to be worshipped. According to all ancient scripture, we are supposed to believe in God because it is good for us.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Intelligence_06
It is not that God wants to be worshipped.

So offerings and sacrifices are not a form of worship? 

And lets not forget the first of the commandments are all about himself

• I am the Lord thy God: thou shalt not have strange Gods before me.
  • Thou shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
  • Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
You can picture God watching over the humans for a couple of thousand years and watching these things called religious groups popping up. 
Allllllll built on a total lie. ( he knows this. ) 
Then one day god tinks.  Hold on a minute.  I too want to be praised. 
How do i get people to know i am the true God? 
God thinks long and hard and comes up with.
Ill get a women pregnant thennnnnn when my sons about lke 30 years old  , i will get him to go from town to town telling allllll about me. 
Woot.
Woot.
Like a God.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@aaaa
Some people have a bizarre idea of what it means to worship, did you know it basically means reverence and adoration? so the question you are asking is "does God want to be reverenced and a recipient of adoration?" The question for me is why wouldn't you? who wouldn't reverence and adore their own Maker, a Being that far surpasses any other being in every single way? do you have any idea who God is?

But to answer your question, it's more of an attitude or positioning in such a relationship as one of the student and the Master. We should always be aware of the reality that we really are of no comparison to God in the sense that we are in a position of frailty, and there's nothing wrong with that so we look to God with adoration and respect knowing that we are on the receiving end of learning and growing.

Even if we are ultimately in unison with God at the soul level, while in these bodies and in creation we submit ourselves to the higher consciousness because we are confined to a limited state of observation. So again, it's about knowing what positioning we are in as being the lesser half. 
But it's not a forced state of mind to adore and reverence God, honestly it should simply come naturally. Anyone who looks to God with disrespect or has a snot nosed attitude is either just too immature or they really have no clue what God means and how that relates to them. 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@aaaa
Is it ever talked about in the Bible?

Again, to "worship" God is simply an attitude or position of respect....

John 15
Stephen
Stephen
@ EtrnlVw

@ EtrnlVw, wtote: so the question you are asking is "does God want to be reverenced and a recipient of adoration?"

Nope. The OP's  questions are:  "Why does God want to be worshipped? &   Is it ever talked about in the Bible?

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen
@Tradesecret
@Intelligence_06
@Bones

INTELLIGENCE_06'S QUOTE THAT GOES AGAINST JESUS AS GOD AS SHOWN IN THE PASSAGE BELOW:  "It is not that God wants to be worshipped."

"But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John 4: 23-24)

ETRNLVW QUOTE IN RECOGNIZING THAT WE ARE TO WORSHIP JESUS AS GOD IN REVERSENCE AND ADORATION, EVEN THOUGH HE IS NOT ALL LOVING:  "Some people have a bizarre idea of what it means to worship, did you know it basically means reverence and adoration?"

The link below shows that our Jesus is NOT all loving as Yahweh God incarnate, especially in one example of many, He forces His creation to eat their children, ewwwww, but we are still to give Him reverence and adoration!  Thus, it takes a lot of guts to be a Christian in the 21st century in accepting the "true" Jesus as shown in said link herewith: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/6520-the-biblical-yahweh-is-not-an-all-loving-god?page=1&post_number=20

Bones
Debates: 31
Bones
-->
@BrotherDThomas
INTELLIGENCE_06'S QUOTE THAT GOES AGAINST JESUS AS GOD AS SHOWN IN THE PASSAGE BELOW:  "It is not that God wants to be worshipped."

"But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John 4: 23-24)
Also 

Exodus 34:14-15

Rather, you must tear down their altars, smash their sacred stones, and chop down their Asherah poles. 14 For you must not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God. 15 Do not make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you, and you will eat their sacrifices

I've always thought, doesn't an omnipotent being have better things to do then worry about which mortal being is and isn't worshipping them? 
aaaa
aaaa
-->
@EtrnlVw
But would indifference to God be punished? What if I believed that God was real but I didn't really adore or praise him and didn't accept Jesus as my lord and savior and all that, would I be sent to hell?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@aaaa
But would indifference to God be punished?

Nah, your feelings about God really make no difference one way or another. Now, this is between me and you and not about what religious people say. As you can see there are people here fixated on the Bible, so be careful what you write lol. 

What if I believed that God was real but I didn't really adore or praise him

Well I have to admit I don't really understand what would keep you from feeling reverence towards God but beliefs are irrelevant and you are not forced to feel any one way or another. You will always be within God anyways, everywhere you go God is there so it's not like you will ever be separate from God. You're much closer to God than you might think. 

and didn't accept Jesus as my lord and savior and all that, would I be sent to hell?

You may not be permitted to enter the Christian Kingdom of Heaven, but no, hell is a prison for crimes against creation. It simply helps keep order among the peaceful, you don't want to leave earth only to be a victim of renegade souls lol. 
There's many options within creation of where you may go other than hell or the Bible's version of heaven. The Kingdom of Heaven is only but one single planet among endless other created beautiful places within the God worlds. Just be a good lad and you will have lots of fun. You have a very long journey ahead of you, and along that journey your feelings about God may change in many directions. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I'm in plenty of humans that think they deserve to be worshiped they'll know why something is advanced as a god wouldn't feel the same way.
Stephen
Stephen
@ EtrnlVw,

Nah, your feelings about God really make no difference one way or another

That is simply not true, the first of the commandments is to love god above all else. what fkn bible do you read?

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 

then there is:
  • I am the Lord thy God: thou shalt not have strange Gods before me.
  • Thou shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
  • Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.
And you are trying to tell us it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to god either way.  they wouldn't be commandments if it meant nothing to god if our feeling mean nothing and he doesn't give two shits anyway.

You are just about as bible ignorant as that other three in one persons the Reverend ethang dimtim "Tradey" Tradesecrete, that has no secrets because he's spilled all of person details to a forum on the www. 
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas

ETRNLVW SLAPPING JESUS IN THE FACE AS YAHWEH GOD INCARNATE #1: “Nah, your feelings about God really make no difference one way or another. Now, this is between me and you and not about what religious people say. As you can see there are people here fixated on the Bible, so be careful what you write lol.“

Etrnlvw chastises members in being FIXATED upon the Bible, where Jesus’ inspired words say they should BE FIXIATED upon the Bible in this one passage alone: “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. (Joshua 1: 8)

ETRNLVW SLAPPING JESUS IN THE FACE AGAIN #2: “Well I have to admit I don't really understand what would keep you from feeling reverence towards God but beliefs are irrelevant and you are not forced to feel any one way or another.”

Etrnlvw actually said that one is not forced to feel relevance towards Jesus as god? WTF!!! This passage says otherwise: "But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John 4: 23-24)

ETRNLVW SLAPPING JESUS IN THE FACE #3 IN LYING AGAIN ABOUT JESUS’ HEAVEN: The Kingdom of Heaven is only but one single planet among endless other created beautiful places within the God worlds.”

Etrnlvw made this ungodly statement above in showing their Bible stupidity is endless!  Jesus says the following in proving Etrnlvw wrong again: “Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, “He answered them and said, “The kingdom of God [Heaven] does not come with observation; nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.”  (Luke 17:20–21)

As usual, ETRNLVW shows themselves as Bible ignorant and stupid, a LIAR,  and a FALSE PROPHET again!  What’s new? NOTHING!

NEXT?
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen
@Tradesecret

Stephen,

With your post #14, and my post #15 above alone, explicitly shows in just how BIBLE STUPID AND IGNORANT ETRNLVW ACTUALLY IS FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!

False prophets are everywhere in this forum, like Etrnlvw, Tradesecret, the departed Fauxlaw, and many others within this Religion Forum, and it is our job to bring them out in shame, praise Jesus!

"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds." (2 Corinthians 11:13-15)

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@aaaa
Let me know if you wish to discuss anything further, or have any questions about what I wrote. We need more normal people in this forum to have discussions, there's a few weirdos with obsessions here. 
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@EtrnlVw
It really is a shame, that there's so many weirdos in the religious section.

Personally, if I wanted to make a serious effort at learning more about religions, I'd reach out to scholars, religious teachers, church leaders, and such.
But myself, my minds made up, that learning about religion, is 'not a serious effort for myself.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lemming
It really is a shame, that there's so many weirdos in the religious section.

It is, the irony is that the weirdos are usually the ones that are protesting lol. They are obsessed with whatever they are targeting.

Personally, if I wanted to make a serious effort at learning more about religions, I'd reach out to scholars, religious teachers, church leaders, and such.

Well, the interesting thing about spirituality is that it doesn't take a scholar, religious teachers and church leaders to give you something real you can digest and learn from. It's a nice sediment and a lot of those kinds of folks have something to offer, but how deep can they take you is the question? I've put a lot of time, application and observation to bring something of value for anyone who wants to know some things. And I'm not going to feed you dogma or indoctrination, unless its dogma that is useful. So feel free to engage me in any subject, I'm a normal guy entertaining a topic that many find abnormal lol, my passion is guys like you and folks that aren't obsessed with preaching their beliefs and that don't care about learning anything.
Even when I try and engage the normal members, it's the weirdos that target my posts mostly, pretty much like in this thread. 

But myself, my minds made up, that learning about religion, is 'not a serious effort for myself.

What about learning about spirituality? as it pertains to you personally?

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@EtrnlVw
Spirituality is a bit of a vague term, I 'think.
Personally, I view it a bit as wisdom of the human condition.

Individuals can be wise, without receiving any great education, but their knowledge can be lacking of objective truth at times, seems to me.
An example of this could be someone who reads the Bible, by their reading of it, thinking on it, they might come to clever realizations or interpretations.

But if the Bible is history in places, needs context for what certain parts mean, then the laypersons wisdom, though valid for themself, others, many situations, is 'still not the truth of the book.

When people place a large amount of emphasis on a single interpretation, as being the intent of the author, then there's importance that it be confirmed as well as can be.
. . .

Though if it's not meant as the objective truth, I mind wisdom less.
And can admit easy enough, a person doesn't need to be a scholar , or appointed individual,
To learn something worthwhile from them.

It 'is common though, as can be seen easily enough on this debate site for instance,
That there are sources people agree on as being valid for what they say as being the truth,
Their statistics, claimed facts, and such.

. . .

For myself, I enjoy learning about what others think of situations, think it valuable to me.
Though I'm satisfied for the 'most part, with who I am now,
I can still be better,

Life's so vast, I've not learned everything I might, never will.
But there's knowledge that can help me for possible future situations,
Knowledge that can help me in current situations,

Whether in how I 'see, how I 'react.

Still, it's more a pastime, than a pursuit.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas

ETRNLVW,

YOUR QUOTE IN CALLING YOURSELF A "WEIDO." WHY?: "Let me know if you wish to discuss anything further, or have any questions about what I wrote. We need more normal people in this forum to have discussions, there's a few weirdos with obsessions here"

Yes, it takes a WEIDO like you to call Jesus a LIAR like I have shown the membership in your behalf!   How embarrassing can you get in proposing LIES where I had to correct you AGAIN in front of the membership in my post #15 herewith:  https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/6565-why-does-god-want-to-be-worshipped?page=1&post_number=15

ETRNLVW, you are one of many pseudo-christians upon this forum that are obsessed in being dumbfounded of the JUDEO-Christian Bible, at your expense.

NEXT?

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lemming
Spirituality is a bit of a vague term, I 'think.

Good, only in the sense that the term doesn't invoke a particular religious flavor but expresses the relationship between you and a possible transcendent reality.

Personally, I view it a bit as wisdom of the human condition.

Yet it's much more specific than that. The human condition has a lot of baggage to it that has no relevance to spirituality and its purpose. Perhaps the term is vague to you, because you see no objective value in its usage as it pertains to your soul.

Individuals can be wise, without receiving any great education, but their knowledge can be lacking of objective truth at times, seems to me.
An example of this could be someone who reads the Bible, by their reading of it, thinking on it, they might come to clever realizations or interpretations.

But if the Bible is history in places, needs context for what certain parts mean, then the laypersons wisdom, though valid for themself, others, many situations, is 'still not the truth of the book.

It depends on what you want here. I can play Mr. Christian and play along the dotted lines because I've been around that all my life. But if you want something that is realistic, and that also reflects only the truthfulness of the Bible and the truthfulness of spirituality as a whole I can expand beyond the limits of the Bible as well. All in all, I wouldn't personally trust any Joe Shmoe either about anything related to the Bible. But I would trust someone with experience that can show how things work through their words and knowledge. In other words they have to prove they know what the hell they are talking about, and it begins with logical thought processes.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@EtrnlVw
"Yet it's much more specific than that. The human condition has a lot of baggage to it that has no relevance to spirituality and its purpose. Perhaps the term is vague to you, because you see no objective value in its usage as it pertains to your soul."- EtrnlVw
Likely.
As I don't believe in an afterlife, or the soul, in terms more than psychology, or times I wax poetic.

I can agree with what you say of trust, but verify.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lemming
Still, it's more a pastime, than a pursuit.

At some point in your spiritual journey you will need more, much more. More than anything this world can offer you because it's a fraction of what exists and your soul resides at a much deeper level. And when the door opens upon your approval the floodgates of all that you want to learn will wash over you and flood every part of your being but spirituality goes at the pace you dictate it. Me personally, I opened the door at a very young age and it has been a subject matter that fascinates me more than any other topic. I've learned quite a lot in my lifetime, everything you want to know is right at your fingertips. When you are ready the right person will come along and you will know and understand the reality of what they give you.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@EtrnlVw
If something 'more than this material world, and the concepts wherein, exists.
I imagine you're right.

But meaning, purpose, fulfillment, gratification, seem 'findable to me at the present.
If I'm unsatisfied some moments, I view it as a temporary moment, just a breath of time, that luck and circumstance willing, leaves.

To myself, psychology well enough 'explains aspects of spirituality, though itself does not fulfill them, it does point to various options which can.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lemming
As I don't believe in an afterlife, or the soul, in terms more than psychology, or times I wax poetic.

Can you explain what you mean here. Psychology has no real relevance to the soul or an afterlife other than trying to come up with artificial reasons why people believe and rely on it. In other words, the field of psychology can give you no real objective truths regarding it. They play on confirmation biases, it's a useless game of the intellect that you will not profit much from. 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lemming
To myself, psychology well enough 'explains aspects of spirituality, though itself does not fulfill them, it does point to various options which can.

Psychology only operates at one level, it's not nearly sufficient for a guy like me but I appreciate that you are currently content. As long as you are content we can't really go there, at a level that surpasses a superficial layer.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@EtrnlVw
In a materialistic sense,

One can still view their soul as existing,
Though hardly possessing the robustness of some religions.

But it becomes instead, their sense of identity, personality, memory, aspects of oneself in behavior, preference, reaction, self.
If I define a soul as I can best define 'ME,
I think psychology works well enough.

For the afterlife, other than my actions reverberating, my energy continuing, there's not much of an afterlife, none at 'all, to my way of thinking.
Defining myself more by the existence of my 'particular being, shape, existence.
The energy just animates me,
The shape could be duplicated perfectly, but that copy wouldn't be 'ME, though being me in 'near every which way.

I'm rambling,

A point though, of psychology.
Humans commonly 'have the need to believe in an after, give meaning to their existence, a fear of cessation, or a disbelief that it can end.
Through psychology, one can understand this, and offer various outlets of expression.

. . .

My contentedness varies.
But I see that variation as part of the human condition.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lemming
In a materialistic sense,

One can still view their soul as existing,
Though hardly possessing the robustness of some religions.

Materialism is in contrast to the existence of a soul. It's an ideology that is direct contrast to what you truly are. Now, we also don't need to regurgitate religion to discuss such a topic either.

But it becomes instead, their sense of identity, personality, memory, aspects of oneself in behavior, preference, reaction, self.
If I define a soul as I can best define 'ME,
I think psychology works well enough.

I respect your beliefs, I won't push the issue beyond what I've said unless you are interested.

For the afterlife, other than my actions reverberating, my energy continuing, there's not much of an afterlife, none at 'all, to my way of thinking.
Defining myself more by the existence of my 'particular being, shape, existence.
The energy just animates me,
The shape could be duplicated perfectly, but that copy wouldn't be 'ME, though being me in 'near every which way.

Your conscious soul generates energy, energy itself isn't what you truly are. Energy isn't animated, consciousness/souls is. As long as you are within creation, your conscious soul will be confined to form that emits energy. Your energy continues because you continue, not the other way around.

I'm rambling,

I like that, it helps me get to know who you are and what you believe about yourself. 

A point though, of psychology.
Humans commonly 'have the need to believe in an after, give meaning to their existence, a fear of cessation, or a disbelief that it can end.
Through psychology, one can understand this, and offer various outlets of expression.

Spirituality opposes the mind, the emotions and what we wish to be the case. So you should consider being open to the possibility that our fears have nothing to do with what exists beyond the physical senses. 
That's part of the problem with psychology, they make excuses why people believe the way they do lol. They never consider it is an objective reality, they play on confirmation bias. In other words they will never get you to the truth of the matter. 

. . .

My contentedness varies.
But I see that variation as part of the human condition.

Okay. But like I said, at some point your inner man will want to come to terms with much more. When that happens, the door will be open to you. 

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@EtrnlVw
It's possible that materialism is direct contrast to what we truly are,
But it does not seem so to me.

Man takes a railroad spike to the brain, becomes a different person, as consequence.

To my definition of the soul it exists 'quite materially, despite one's hopes is 'not unconquerable, free from the evil of mortal men.
All one needs do is interact with another in this material world, and the individual is affected.

Whether nature is born of nurture, or nurture of nature,
What a person 'is, exists within influence.

. . .

Egyptians and Saxons, one might have called spiritual,
As they buried material possessions and with their dead,
Or the Greeks placed coins upon a person's eyes.

Whether due to some believing in an after, where these goods traveled, or in individuals who believed it the end, but wished to assuage their 'own spirits, by doing honor to the dead.
Reaching closure and farewell.

. . .

Idle thought,
I suppose the people who equivalate God with Good,
Might view the worship of such as a worthy use of time,
People must dedicate their time and effort to 'something, I suppose.