Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 618
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@amandragon01
From Wikipedia:

The argument from poor design, also known as the dysteleological argument, is an argument against the assumption of the existence of a creator God, based on the reasoning that any omnipotent and omnibenevolent deity or deities would not create (say) organisms with the perceived suboptimal designs that occur in nature.
The argument is structured as a basic modus ponens: if "creation" contains many defects, then design appears an implausible theory for the origin of earthly existence. Proponents most commonly use the argument in a weaker way, however: not with the aim of disproving the existence of God, but rather as a reductio ad absurdum of the well-known argument from design (which suggests that living things appear too well-designed to have originated by chance, and so an intelligent God or gods must have deliberately created them).
Although the phrase "argument from poor design" has seen little use, this type of argument has been advanced many times using words and phrases such as "poor design", "suboptimal design", "unintelligent design" or "dysteleology/dysteleological". The nineteenth-century biologist Ernst Haeckel applied the term "dysteleology" to the implications of organs so rudimentary as to be useless to the life of an organism. In his 1868 book Natürliche Schöpfungsgeschichte (The History of Creation), Haeckel devoted most of a chapter to the argument, ending with the proposition (perhaps with tongue slightly in cheek) of "a theory of the unsuitability of parts in organisms, as a counter-hypothesis to the old popular doctrine of the suitability of parts". In 2005 Donald Wise of the University of Massachusetts Amherst popularised the term "incompetent design" (a play on "intelligent design"), to describe aspects of nature seen as flawed in design.
Traditional Christian theological responses generally posit that God constructed a perfect universe but that humanity's misuse of its free will to rebel against God has resulted in the corruption of divine good design.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
A creation hypothesis based upon a 2000 year old fantasy tale, can say whatever is necessary.

No facts or evidence actually required.

So on behalf of Christianity..........I will suggest that Goddo's perfect universe perfectly contains perfect imperfections.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@FLRW
PERFECT GOD = PERFECT WORLD

PERFECT WORLD = PERFECT GOD

IMPERFECT GOD = IMPERFECT WORLD

IMPERFECT WORLD = IMPERFECT GOD
amandragon01
amandragon01
I know what an argument from poor design is. It's also not an argument I have made. Since I've never argued the universe isn't the product of an intelligence. I won't take that stance.

The stance I take is a simple one. I believe the universe exists. I believe that life exists within the universe. Beyond that I even believe I haven't sufficent information to know how the universe came to be or if it required a designer.

When someone makes the claim that a designer is necessary. I ask why? In what way can the universe be shown to necessitate a designer.

When someone claims probability then I ask how they determine the odds they are using. I mean from all the information I'm aware of we have no way of knowing that a universe can form in such a way that life can't form. We don't seem to have any information from which to form conclusions do we?
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@amandragon01
When someone claims probability then I ask how they determine the odds they are using.

30 days later

Amoranemix
Amoranemix
-->
@Athias
Athias 469 :
[1.] Your question was already addressed in post #440.
[2.] You've corrected nothing; once again, I was not confirming your statement.
[3.] Because of the meaning of "value."
[4.'] The two aren't mutually exclusive.[98] And that's my point. You questioned the definitions I've submitted,[99] and when pressed to expand on your scrutiny, you provide rather than substantiation, more questions.[100]
"Within reason"? What would be an unreasonable choice?[101]
[4.''] Substantiate your assertion that my position is false.
[1.] For clarity, here is the question from post 453 : “How does what you said about disbelief and one's private gnosis apply ?”
For clarity, here is what the question is about ('what you said'), from post 440 : “I create distinctions between "believe in" and "argue for." That is, the disbelief in God or gods as an expression of value needs not be "rationally defensible" because it's a declaration of one's private gnosis.”
First, you are missing the point, for the issue is not whether you addressed the question, but whether you answered it. You haven't.
Second, I cannot find where in post 440 you addressed the question. Please show where you have done so.
Athias 577 :
For clarity, this is what you stated:
“You say that with that disagreement you merely shared your internal gnosis”
And then I responded:
“1. No, I didn't.”
You then asked:
How does what you said about disbelief and one's private gnosis apply ?
And then I responded:
“I never stated that my disagreement with your claim was an expression of private gnosis. I stated that private gnosis on its own needs not be rationally defensible.”
You state I haven't answered your questions, but I've responded to your questions in this very long time that we've had this exchange.[113] Perhaps if you ceased quoting me out of sequence, you would've been able to find them easier.[114] But here's what I said in context of its application (here's the part that you left out):
“I create distinctions between "believe in" and "argue for." That is, the disbelief in God or gods as an expression of value needs not be "rationally defensible" because it's a declaration of one's private gnosis. As an argument, however, the proposition of a claim needs to be rationally defensible because argumentation is intended to resolve disputes between conflicting private gnoses using a consistent (not objective) standard as its measure. So, "I don't believe in God" needs not be rationally defensible; however, "God does not exist"--an argument--needs to be.”[115]
This creates a distinction between "belief" and "argument." That is the application.[116]
[113] First, responding to questions ≠ answering questions.
You responded to my comments in post 439. I assumed your response was relevant, that it was addressing what it responded to. So, I interpreted in accordance. So I rephrased your comment, to communicate what I understood. Since it literally seemed irrelevant, it suggested something to make it relevant, which I added in my rephrasal. You denied having claimed that which made your rebuttal relevant, but failed to provide clarity. So, assuming that you hadn't really committed a red herring fallacy, I asked how does what you said apply to what it is supposed to address. I asked you to explain how was your rebuttal not a red herring fallacy, to which you responded with what you had and had not said, but failing to provide the requested explanation.
Second, you claimed to have addressed the question in post 440. However, nothing of what you quoted is from post 440. It would grace you to admit it when you make a mistake.
[114] What does that mean, quoting out of sequence ?
[115] I was already aware of the difference between sharing one's belief and making a factual claim before I joined this forum. There is no use in repeating other than for deflection.
[116] OK. So your rebuttal in post 440 does not apply to what it responded to, nor to the discussion that precedes it. It only applies to a red herring.

[2.] Please demonstrate that your disagreement with the claim “In the mean time everyone agrees, either tacitly or explicitely, that the position that atheism is irrational is not a rationally defensible one.” is rationally defensible.
[3.] You are being evasive. How does the meaning of value explain why stating that a belief is based on value is redundant.
[4.'] Definitions weren't discussed in this subdiscussion.
[98] That did not stop you from using the former as an excuse to abstain from doing that latter.
[99] I did so on your request.
[100] If I have inappropriately failed to provide substantion to my questions about your definitions, please point out the pertinent cases.
[101] Typically confusing or deceptive definitions. For example, calling your dog God and then claiming that God exists.
[4.''] You forgot the magic word.
Athias 577 :
[2.] I don't have to demonstrate that my disagreement expresses anything other than a contradiction to your claim, "everyone agrees..." I have no intention of contradicting or undermining atheism in the context of "belief." As an "argument" however, well... WHAT HAVE WE BEEN DOING THESE LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS? If you don't know at the very least my argument against the rationality of the argument "God does not exist," then WE HAVE WASTED OUR TIME.
[3.] Because the two are virtually synonymous.
[4.] No idea what you're talking about, here.
[98] Excuses? I'm not the self-admitted "sloth," here. I establish definitions; I establish arguments; your preference as to the sequence of these submissions are inconsequential.
[99] Made no such request. I had asked you if you had objections, and to substantiate them in the event that you did.
[100] Your incapacity to substantiate an unnecessary element in the definition I provided for the term exist.
[101] That is neither deceptive nor confusing; stringent definitions make for better arguments, but here I am just making "excuses."
[4.''] Forget it.
[2.] A charitable interpretation of what you meant with “No, it isn't” (# 445) to “which in that instance is not rationally defensible.” (#444) is that you disagree that you implied that your disagreement with my claim from post 289 is not rationally defensible. Like before, that brings up the question what the relevance is of what claimed in post 440. In the mean time we were able to establish relevance to a red herring.
[3.] What two ? “Value” and “holding a belief” are not virtually synonymous.
[4.] You were conflating subdiscussions by bringing up definitions here.
[98] You present excuses. I present definitions. I admit being lazy. I present arguments. I honour my burden of proof.
[99] You also asked me to provide definitions. That was more than just asking whether I had objections. Also, I hadn't realized you would use objections to stall, so I have refrained from providing objections.
[100] Let us assume for the sake of the argument that I am indeed incapable of provding such substantiation (something you have yet to prove). Please demonstrate that such incapacity constitutes an inappropriate failure to provide substantiation of one of my questions.
[101] For the time being that is off topic, so I suggest we agree to disagree.

Athias 469 :
[78] This has nothing to do with what we were talking about. You claimed "knowing something about X requiring information from X" is an assumption. I rejected your characterizing it as an assumption, and then subsequently demanded that you "substantiate this assumptive characteristic."
[a] Because, "Spino" is an identifier, i.e. a name which provides information. Once you've identified "Spino," acknowledged information of its existence.
[b] No matter how many times you attempt to reciprocate in this tit for tat, "seem" is not now nor has it ever been an argument. And when you employ it in your discussions with me, I will without fail point that out.
[c'] I already did and submitted them.
[c''] Are you being facetious?
[c'''] No need.
[78] Right. Let's jump passed the confusion you mangaged to sow.
In post 440 you said : “Because the nonexistent does not exist. The nonexistent provides no information.” I assumed you were trying to answer the question you were addressing, namely how Spino's nonexistence prevents one from knowing he does not exist. I tried to figure out how your response attempted to do that, which led me to believe you relied on the assumption that knowing something about X, requires information from X.
Apparently I read you wrong. You again successfully confused me.
In post 445 you said : “In order to aquire and maintain knowledge, one needs information. One can either conceive information or receive information, which ultimately is still conceived (i.e. information sustained by one's mind is irrevocably subjected to the bias of one's mind and subsequent conceptual attachments.) Your defining Spino--conceiving or "receiving" information notwithstanding--informs its existence.”
Please demonstrate the last claim.
I am assuming you were trying to support this claim from post 317 : “That is, if something does not exist, you don't know it does not exist, because it does not exist.” If not, please demonstrate that claim.[*]
[a] So, defining Spino implies conceiving Spino and conceiving Spino provides information about Spino. Yet you claimed that the nonexistent provides no information. Please demonstrate that.
[b] It would seem then that I can make you commit a red herring fallacy on demand.
You forgot to answer my question.
[c''] No.
Athias 577 :
[78] Yes, I'm the one sowing confusion.
[*] My demonstration is no longer of any consequence at this point.
[a] Same as directly above.
[b] Whatever.
[*] Your claim remains unsupported.
[a] Same as directly above.
[b] You have failed to point out that “seem” is not an argument.
Your forgetfullness compensates for your lack of laziness.

Athias 469 :
[*] Yes, you most certainly have.
[**] I'm the only person in our discussion providing information to his argument. You see, I am not lazy.
[*] Is that a fact or just your personal opinion ?
[**] Providing information to this argument ≠ honouring your burden of proof.
Most people are lazy. Few people are honest enough to admit it.
Athias 577 :
[*] It's of no consequence.
[**] Inconsequential.
[*] Thank you for sharing your personal opinion with me, but I prefer to believe in reality.
[**] The purpose is not to generate consequences, but to establish truth and denounce falsehoods. Not your forte.

FLRW
FLRW

Didn't God know anything about PR ? Not only are there no paintings of Jesusthere is not one contemporary acknowledgement of his existence by a historian. 
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Amoranemix
Why have you continued to respond to statements made months ago, when I stated to you both publicly and privately that our discussion has been suspended? I have no intention of continuing a discussion that is measured by your personal satisfaction, much less with a member who's not only unresponsive but also takes opportunities to attempt veiled insults. So if I haven't made it clear before, I am making it clear now: our discussion is over.

Enjoy your day, sir.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
Did a publicless universe necessitate P.R?

What are Jesus pointings?

What is a contemporary acknowledgement of existence?....Isn't that the same or very similar to  a non-contemporary acknowledgement of existence?

Who's existence GOD or J's?

And I would suggest that historical references to  G and J are many.

Good fun nonetheless.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@zedvictor4

My Zed, my Zed, why have you forsaken me?

It's  paintings of Jesus.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
D'oh....Need new specs. 

No portrait artists I suppose.

Though not sure if there are many or any 2000 year old paintings kicking about.

Latter day paintings suggest that he was more European in appearance than Arabian.....And from what I can remember his dad was too.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@3RU7AL
PERFECT GOD = PERFECT WORLD

Only exists conceptually as Meta-space mind/intellect/concept

IMPERFECT WORLD = IMPERFECT GOD
Is what exists and always will exist, however, they may exist, ultra-brief moments of Universe existence where all is perfect equanimity of balance.

Fuller calls this 24 vector chords >|< 24 vector radii,  with exactly the same magnitude of each other.

Roger Penrose { GR proof, nobel prize } and S Hawking might call that the singularity of black hole aka set of all photonic trajectories experiencing a common set of null geodesics.

Here is painting ---graphic--- of equanimity  see B the spherical Vector Equlibrium i.e. four hexagonal circles {  equal 24 chords >< 24 radii.
24 chords ---24  sets of surface 90 degree-ness---

24 radii  --ergo 24 sets of internal 60 degreeness

8 surface triangles ---subdvide as 24 surface right triangles---

6 surface squares --subdivide as 24smaller  surface squares or triangles [X]

17 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@ebuc
Atheism is irrational
The Jews who created the concept of the Messiah demanded that Jesus be crucified. The6 did not believe Jesus was God.
The Romans who crucified Jesus went on to form the Roman Catholic Church to worship a crucified Jew named Jesus.
The people who seek forgiveness are Christians who believe that a dead Jew can forgive sins. Who needs God?

How can atheists top this delusion? Only by being more rational than the current set of believers.

143 days later

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Conservallectual
I don't get why people even want to be atheists.

As long as you feel comfortable with your own beliefs, I shouldn't  harp on it.

I don't get why people even want to be atheists, I mean there is no morality,  no wonder, no magic, no nothing.

Spoken like a true theist ignoramus. And one that askes others to "be respectful to my beliefs".
Conservallectual wrote: About me. https://www.debateart.com/profiles/Conservallectual

Then proceeds to disrespect others beliefs :

Conservallectual wrote     @zedvictor4 Also your comments read like a nutjob from R/atheism.#1490

Conservallectual wrote     Atheists are cowards;  "the name of this thread is true."#105

You theist just cannot help your selves, can you?  Hypocrites one and all. 

16 days later

United-Philosophy
United-Philosophy
-->
@n8nrgmi
there's good evidence for God. atheism is irrational because they pretend there's no evidence or at least there's enough evidence to be at least agnostic. we see things that look supernatural happen to praying theists but there's no reason to assume those things happen to atheists. supernatural healings. the large majority of people who have NDEs who are atheists end up believing in God (almost everyone who has those experiences, even skeptics, end up believing in the afterlife, but that's just a related point). there's lots of good evidence for NDEs so we should take them seriously. such as out of body experiences being verified under scientific study.   it's stupid to argue that it's common for people to hallucinate elaborate afterlife stories when they die and then give no good reason why that happens, when drugs dont cause that to happen either. dr longs book 'evidence for the afterlife' is full of good evidence. there's good and inexplicable evidence for demonic possession. there's the point that the universe is going from high energy to low energy as if it's a clock that got set (how does something happen once within all eternity and never happen again, what does that even mean?)... there's no good alternative hypothesis that has good evidence for it, just speculation. it's stupid to argue that humans are just elaborate living robots. it should be intuitive that we are more than that, and it's forced and artificial to think that way. the design of the universe is weak evidence but it's evidence

Ok I see what’s happened here. None of what you’ve said makes atheism irrational as all of these points are empirical not rational. Now if you want to talk about things that are irrational you need to demonstrate that there is an inconsistency of belief. You need to provide counter reasoning not just empirical evidence. Don’t get me wrong empiricism is good too and it can help in formulating rational argument but empiricism alone does not prove something irrational.

For example mathematics is entirely rational and not empirical you can’t prove that 2^4=16 using empirical methods . Similarly most atheists that dismiss the empirical evidence you describe often subscribe to a rationality similar to Hume’s fork or Occam’s razor.

Essentially the gist of how people rationalize this is by recognizing that its more plausible that we don’t understand the whole picture rather than the laws of nature being suspended in our favor aka the supernatural

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Atheists argue/believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. That makes them as a irrational as fundamentalist Christians.
Stephen
Stephen
@the Witch.

Atheists argue/believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. That makes them as a irrational as fundamentalist Christians.

Nope. You need to look up the word- Atheist- in the Oxford and ENGLISH Dictionary, Witch.

Off you fly now.
amandragon01
amandragon01
-->
@n8nrgmi
there's good evidence for God. atheism is irrational because they pretend there's no evidence or at least there's enough evidence to be at least agnostic. 
That seems pretty subjective. Evidence has to support a claim, I feel a lot of what people claim as evidence (on both the theist and atheist side) are debatable at best.

we see things that look supernatural happen to praying theists but there's no reason to assume those things happen to atheists. supernatural healings. 
Can you elaborate on this? What do you mean by supernatural healings? Do you have any way to confirm that such healings don't happen to atheists or is this just speculation on your part?

the large majority of people who have NDEs who are atheists end up believing in God (almost everyone who has those experiences, even skeptics, end up believing in the afterlife, but that's just a related point)
This is a common problem. Even if everyone who had an NDE came to believe in an afterlife/god(s) (not the same thing). This doesn't do anything to suggest NDE's are actually proof, only that they're convincing to those who observe them.

there's lots of good evidence for NDEs so we should take them seriously. such as out of body experiences being verified under scientific study. 
I believe people have Near Death Experiences, I'm not convinced however that it's anything other than a product of their own mind.

it's stupid to argue that it's common for people to hallucinate elaborate afterlife stories when they die and then give no good reason why that happens, when drugs dont cause that to happen either. dr longs book 'evidence for the afterlife' is full of good evidence.
Firstly, I don't believe there's any example of anyone ever having come back from their brain stopping? If not then why dismiss the claim that NDE's are a product of the brain? That drugs don't produce that result seems immaterial to the argument, is there a reason we should assume drugs would? I'd agree that if we developed drugs that could produce the exact result of NDE's it would be good evidence that NDE's weren't divine, however, the lack of such drugs does nothing to suggest that NDE's are divine, only that we can't made drugs to emulate specific mental states.

there's good and inexplicable evidence for demonic possession. 
Could you point me to this evidence? As I'm not aware of it.

there's the point that the universe is going from high energy to low energy as if it's a clock that got set (how does something happen once within all eternity and never happen again, what does that even mean?)
This point seems to be begging the question. That we don't know why the universe is the way it is isn't evidence of anything other than our lack of understanding.

there's no good alternative hypothesis that has good evidence for it, just speculation. 
This is pretty much the definition of begging the question. Lack of alternative hypothesis doesn't prove any existing hypothesis.

it's stupid to argue that humans are just elaborate living robots. it should be intuitive that we are more than that, and it's forced and artificial to think that way. 

That your opinion is that it's stupid, or forced and artificial to argue something does nothing to disprove that position, it's simply your opinion. Personally, I think it's irrational to add the unnecessary step of an unobservable creator to a process we don't understand rather than work towards understanding it, I don't however, claim that's evidence for anything.

the design of the universe is weak evidence but it's evidence
The design of the universe would be proof of a god. Can you prove the universe is designed?