the universe most likely didn't cause itself

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 219
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@n8nrgmi
atheists say the universe could have caused itself.
Which atheists are these? I am uncomfortable even asserting that the universe does or doesn't have a cause.

At the moment there is equal evidence that the universe caused itself that it had an external cause or that it in fact did not require any cause whatever.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@secularmerlin
Trouble is...Theists promote a Godly universal cause and then dismiss the need for a cause of GOD.

Therefore, if we apply theistic rationale....Then the Universe doesn't need a cause.

Either the beginning was caused or it wasn't.....Same applies to both Universe and GOD.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@zedvictor4
Either the beginning was caused or it wasn't.....Same applies to both Universe and GOD.
Well stated
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@secularmerlin
atheists say the universe could have caused itself.
Which atheists are these? I am uncomfortable even asserting that the universe does or doesn't have a cause.

At the moment there is equal evidence that the universe caused itself that it had an external cause or that it in fact did not require any cause whatever.
NOUMENON

12 days later

Amoranemix
Amoranemix
-->
@Ramshutu
@Fruit_Inspector
Ramshutu 182 to Double_R :
I’ve never seen someone so singularly dedicated to avoiding the other persons point. Right?
So you have yet to debate flat_earthers.

I am trying to address it, but you keep dodging the question.
Ramshutu 200 :
Fruit_inspector self own(25) flat out bald faced lie. The question has been answered multiple time’s:
It is possible to answer questions without making it clear to what question the answer is the answer. Thus one can answer a question while dodging it.
“It doesn’t matter whether it or isn’t, whether it is true or not - you’re wrong both ways.“ does not answer the question.

Fruit_Inspector 199 to Ramshutu :
I'm just going to assume that your answer is no, the law of noncontradiction is not a metaphysical assumption.[11]

Since we can rule out option 2 (the universe caused itself) using the law of noncontradiction - which is not a metaphysical assumption - we have a basis to rule out at least one of our options without adding any metaphysical assumptions.[12]
[11] Decisively moving forward : atypical for a Christian.
[12] Who is that 'we' that allegedly can rule out that the universe caused itself and can you demonstrate that 'we' is indeed capable of such feat ?

Fruit_Inspector 203 to Ramshutu :
For something to create itself, it would have to be before it was.[13] It would have to exist before it existed. Something cannot exist and not exist at the same time. Therefore, option 2 (the universe is self-created) is invalidated as a reasonable option due to the law of noncontradiction.[14]
Any explanation of origins that falls under option 2 can be ruled out based on the law of noncontradiction?[15]
[13] Ramshutu already countered that claim. We'll see how that goes.
[14] Your fallacy of choice is the non-sequitur, for the conclusion does not follow from the premises.
[15] It is said that there is a mysterious collective referred to as 'we' that can rule it out. We shall see.

So far anything is still possible. Even God has not been rule out.

Fruit_Inspector 203 to Ramshutu :
The universe created itself=the universe is self created

"The universe came from nothing" is just another way to say the universe is self-created. That is why I said I would simplify it. My original comment was to someone else, which is why I phrased it that way. Had I known you were jumping in, I would have simplified it from the start to avoid the rambling we are now experiencing.[16]

If the universe has no cause, it is eternal.[17]
That is option #1. All possibilities are accounted for.
[16] A problem with your simplification is that it is over-simplification. You are arguing as if the universe coming from nothing is equivalent to the universe creating itself, while it seems more akin to the universe being uncaused.
[17] What do you mean with eternal ? According to EtrnlVw that does not mean existence for an infinite amount of time.

Fruit_Inspector 205 to Ramshutu :
If something existed without having been caused, it would be eternal.

"The universe came from nothing" is just another way of saying that "the universe created itself," option #2. It also violates the the principle  ex nihilo nihil fit.

So this claim violates two basic logical principles.
You committed a non-sequitur fallacy, for the conclusion does not follow from the premises.

Fruit_Inspector 205 to Ramshutu :
If we are then left with options #1 and #3, it is still possible that the universe is eternal - so there is no special pleading here. To say the universe is eternal is also to say it is uncaused.
Why is that ? You seem to have forgotten that cause has not yet been defined.

How does the universe starting itself violate the law of causality ?
ethang5 210 :
Do you know the law of causality? There needs to be a first cause.[18] A first cause cannot pre-exist itself,[19] and an effect cannot be causeless.
No, I don't know the law of causality. Christians like relying on it to dismiss explanations that don't involve God, but are reticent explaining that law, presumably in fear of the holes skeptics would then poke in their argument. Wikipedia doesn't know about the law of causality either. Does it even exist ?
[18] Is that something the law of causality says or merely your personal belief ?
[19] I understand you don't see how it could and therefore conclude that it must be impossible. However, reality does not let itself be limited by anyone's ignorance.

How does it violate entropy ?
ethang5 210 :
A closed system cannot have a decrease in entropy, And a universe that "starts" itself cannot be an open system. Do you know the laws of entropy?
They are called the laws of thermodynamics and I know them.
The second one says the entropy of an isolated (not closed) system cannot decrease.
Suppose a universe that starts itself is an isolated system. Which law is that supposed to violate and how ?

How does it violate life from non-life ?
ethang5 210 :
Science has, for all of its existence, observed that life only comes from life. Every scientific experiment to date has confirmed this. There is not one shred of evidence that supports life from non-life.
You are merely giving your understanding of the law life from non-life.
The question was : How does the universe causing itself violate that law ?
I am assuming you mean that with a naturalistic origin of the universe and dismissing the possibility that the universe started with life, life must then have originated naturally.
A God-created universe violates the life from non-God law. Science has, for all of its existence, observed that life only comes from nature. Every scientific experiment to date has confirmed that. There is not one shred of evidence that supports life from God.

Scientific laws have an area of application. A phenomon outside the law's area of application may violate that law and that is no good reason to dismiss the phenomenon as impossible.[a]
The Newtonian theory of gravity, conservation of mass, most triangle laws, Ohm's law, Bohr's atomic model and the ideal gas law are all invalid under certain circumstances.[b]
So contrary to what you seem to believe, that is not evidence against the possibility of the universe having created itself.[c]
ethang5 210 :
[a] Exactly. God is outside the area of application of the laws that govern and affect His creation. Laws cannot affect things outside their area of application.
[b] I did not say the laws were invalid. A law cannot affect anything before  that law begins to exist. I said a self-starter universe violates those laws.
[c] They certainly are. Our universe operates on logic. Effects preceeding causes, or being causeless, and a "closed system" universe with increases in entropy are all illogical.[20]
[a] Your fallacy of choice is missing the point. The question is whether the area of application of the 'laws' you mentioned include the origin of the universe. You just assume it does. Assumptions must be demonstrated. Go ahead!
If you think your claim that God is free from the confines of natural laws is relevant, then please demonstrate that claim, or do you prefer to rely on the special pleading fallacy ?
[b] I have not accused you of saying the laws were invalid.
God allegedly also violates those laws.
[20] Are those facts or just your personal opinions ?
Moreover, that a self-starting universe implies an effect preceding its cause is another ASSUMPTION of yours.

ethang5  71 :
The atheists confusion come in when he conflates the creator and his creation, irrationally thinking that both must submit to the same laws.
Amoranemix  120 :
It may be wrong, but that does not make believing otherwise irrational. Almost every creator is subject to some of the laws their creation is subject to, like the laws of mathematics and the laws of physics.
ethang5  128 :
God is a singularity. He precedes, and is the source of, all laws. Every other "creator" is composed of the same material as his creation, and is not the author of the natural laws governing his creation. God is unique that way. Believing God would be subject to laws He pre-existed and created IS irrational.
You are merely arguing, not demonstrating, merely claiming even, that atheists are wrong. You are merely claiming (again), not even arguing, let alone demonstrating, that believing otherwise is irrational.
ethang5 210 :
I see you have reached the end of your argument and the conclusion you wanted is still out of sight.[21] I am demonstrating logic.[22]

The words in our discussion have set meanings. Neither of us can treat them as if their meaning will be decided at a whim, or that their meaning is fluid within the discussion. The concept of "God" has a logical meaning.

Requiring you to adhere to that logical meaning is not merely "arguing".[23] If you believe that your argument, and indeed the universe, do not need to operate under the laws of logic, then discussions with you will be pointless.[24]
[21] You are hallucinating. The conclusion is that your claim remains unsupported.
[22] Science is not logic and your understanding of science is not science.
[23] This thread is about the origin and nature of the universe in reality. Whether a god that is by definition above the natural laws has a place is such discussion is debatable. However, uncritically accepting such god exists is irrational. Being critical of such definition on the other hand, contrary to what you claimed, is rational, especially if Christians are unwilling to concede the same posibility for non-divine origins of the universe.
[24] Your fallacy of choice is the straw man. I have claimed nor implied that the laws of logic do not apply to my argument, to the universe or its origin.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Amoranemix

Amen Brother!  Praise Dark Energy!

531 days later

n8nrgim
n8nrgim
this was an awesome debate thread. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
not that i'm trying to rehash this thread. but it looks like the skeptics are arguing that the universe should be considered possibly an uncaused cause and their reason for choosing that over the universe being an effect, is because it looks like a simpler argument. that might be plausible, and i concede we dont know the answer, but my opening post is why i disagree.  believers think the universe is an effect. the reason, is because of what i posted in my opening post... thermodynamics and a finite v infinite begining and end. ockhams razor might be to look for a simple solution, but it's only a the best approach when you dont have a reason to think otherwise. we have plenty of reason to think otherwise. again i acknowledge every proposed solution breaks down with our normal understanding, so maybe we should consider the universe itself as a special circumstance and our rules dont apply to... and thus, it's plausible to say the universe is an uncaused cause. i just disagree that that's the best argument. 

on a related note, i wonder if defining an uncause cause an an "eternal uncaused cause" or "uncaused infinite regress" a fortiori. would be helpful. cause i'm thinking an uncaused cause could be possibly not eternal, but it would make more sense if it was eternal. i think this is a point that isn't defined or discussed very well in causality debates 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgim
Trouble is.

Even ongoing recurrences of material development and decline have to start somewhere, don't they?