the universe most likely didn't cause itself

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 219
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
This would be essentially synonymous with the term "effect," right?
For the most part.

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific then that. Would time begin at the same point as the first cause, or would time have begun before the first cause?
That’s as specific as I can be, anything further would be pure baseless speculation.

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Double_R
I’ve never seen someone so singularly dedicated to avoiding the other persons point. Right?
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Ramshutu
Our understanding of how reality (specifically various aspects of causality) works is not sufficient to explain the existence of reality”

If Reality exists  and our understanding is not sufficient to explain it. Then reality exists and my premise is correct. Boom.
You are correct for a change.

However, your buddies (most of the world's atheists, especially scientists) Think "our" understanding is sufficient. Maximum hubris, yet it is true.

Fruit_Inspector
Debates: 20
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Double_R
So to be clear, an uncaused cause would not be a product of time then?
Yes, it would be.
Would you also say that an uncaused cause is an effect of time?

That’s as specific as I can be, anything further would be pure baseless speculation.
So, you don't know?
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Objecting to object - peanuts out of poop; sifting through a 100 of my posts to find some way of splitting hairs in all the posts you ignored;
Is it possible that I started from the beginning and worked my way back through just a couple of your posts?

“I would say the only reasonable choice is option 3.”

I took that to mean probability. 

I am very happy if you meant “the only logical conclusion” - as that means that you’re argument is Deductive rather than inductive - which means you are assuming as true all the metaphysical assumptions you can’t possibly know, vs assuming them as probable. The issue is exactly the same and would render your conclusion invalid in both cases:

Fruit Inspector self-own (2): Asking a question in which his own conclusion fails for all answers.
Can you give an explanation of the universe that doesn't fall into one of my categories?
  • The universe is eternal
  • The universe came from nothing (or is self-created)
  • Something caused the universe to come into being.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_inspector Self own (3) completely drops his argument, demonstrates inability to defend his claim.. Here it is for a reminder:

What we observe Causality is temporal in nature: cause, creation implicitly rely on time in order to have meaning. What we understand of this causality - how our reality works, what we can measure - cannot be applied to the existence of our universe - it can be considered [incomplete/invalid/violated/incorrect/insufficient/etc] as all possible options require additional metaphysical assumptions that cannot be validated against what we see : Therefore your conclusion picking one solution over others necessitates you picking one metaphysical solution over some other one without any valid reason.

Can you give an explanation of the universe that doesn't fall into one of my categories?
  • The universe is eternal
  • The universe came from nothing (or is self-created)
  • Something caused the universe to come into being.
Fruit_inspector self own(4): forgets what the argument is - the argument is not that his list is incomplete - but that all elements require additional metaphysical assumptions that cannot be assessed.

Fruit_inspector self own (5): drops the entirety of his previous argument - asks new question.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Fruit_inspector self own(4): forgets what the argument is - the argument is not that his list is incomplete - but that all elements require additional metaphysical assumptions that cannot be assessed.
So you do not dispute that all explanations of the origin of the universe can fall under one of those three categories. Just to be clear, are you saying that none of the categories be eliminated without metaphysical assumptions?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
So you do not dispute that all explanations of the origin of the universe can fall under one of those three categories. Just to be clear, are you saying that none of the categories be eliminated without metaphysical assumptions?
Fruit_inspector self own(6): He completely drops his opponents argument again - demonstrating he is unable to offer any answer.

What we observe Causality is temporal in nature: cause, creation implicitly rely on time in order to have meaning. What we understand of this causality - how our reality works, what we can measure - cannot be applied to the existence of our universe - it can be considered [incomplete/invalid/violated/incorrect/insufficient/etc] as all possible options require additional metaphysical assumptions that cannot be validated against what we see : Therefore your conclusion picking one solution over others necessitates you picking one metaphysical solution over some other one without any valid reason.

He is unable to find any issue with this argument.

Fruit_inspector self own(7): fails to address that his argument is irrelevant; is not able to offer any argument.

Fruit_inspector self own(8): asks a question that has been answered in the part of the argument he keeps ignoring! 
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Is the law of noncontradiction a metaphysical assumption?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_inspector self own(9): continues to completely ignores his opponents argument because he has no answer!

He is unable to find any issue with this argument.

Fruit_inspector self own(10): he completely loses track of all the irrelevant side tracks and obfuscation by asking a question that has already been answered but which he deliberately ignored multiple time’s here:

And here

And here

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu

If you can't answer the question, that's ok. 
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Lol. Funny. There is no question Ram can't answer.
Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
I highly doubt that this universe thing was here before i was. 
It couldn't have been. 

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector

If you can't answer the question, that's ok. 

Fruit_inspector self own(11): continues to refuse to respond to argument:

What issue due you take with this?

If you can’t answer the question, that’s okay.

Fruit_inspector self own(12): question was already answered (see posy above)

Fruit_inspector self own(13):  question is irrelevant - is the answer is yes, my argument is valid on the grounds that it’s an assumption that you must make. If no, my argument is valid as it’s logic is sound.

Fruit_inspector self own(14): you cannot go 20 posts consistently and repeatedly ignoring Everything your opponent says, ignoring swathes of posts, arguments, points, justifications - then complain when they refer you back to a post you ignored. 

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
If you cannot clarify what is or is not a "metaphysical assumption," then your criticism is worthless. I need to know what you are talking about.

You have not given a clear yes or no answer that I can see. It seems now like your just dodging because you could clear all this up by answering the question in a straightforward way. But you do like rambling so maybe that makes sense.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_inspector self own(15): continues to refuse to respond to argument:

If you cannot clarify what is or is not a "metaphysical assumption," then your criticism is worthless. I need to know what you are talking about.

Fruit_inspector self own(16): Your not asking me to clarify what a metaphysical assumption is - you're taking a specific example and asking whether it counts.

Fruit_inspector self own(17): the question is irrelevant - as if it is a metaphysical assumption - you’re wrong. If it is not a metaphysical assumption: then my argument stands and you’re still wrong. 

Fruit_inspector self own(18): I have already answered the question and in detail - in a set of posts you ignored; and I provided as links. Your inability to deal with the answer is not my problem.

Fruit_inspector self own(19): Stamping your feet and repeating the question because you don’t like, or won’t acknowledge my answer is cretinous.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Fruit_inspector self own(16): Your not asking me to clarify what a metaphysical assumption is - you're taking a specific example and asking whether it counts.
I'm asking you if something is or is not a metaphysical assumption for the purpose of clarifying how your criticism applies to my argument. And you're dodging the question. Whether that is because you can't answer it or because you don't want to is still to be determined.

Fruit_inspector self own(17): the question is irrelevant - as if it is a metaphysical assumption - you’re wrong. If it is not a metaphysical assumption: then my argument stands and you’re still wrong. 
If you are so confident in your argument, why are you so hesitant to clearly answer the question? Then you could prove me wrong sooner and make me look foolish.

Fruit_inspector self own(18): I have already answered the question and in detail - in a set of posts you ignored; and I provided as links. Your inability to deal with the answer is not my problem
Well you do a lot of rambling, but I did not see a clear yes or no as to my specific question. Of course, I am just an incompetent, peanut-picking buffoon so you'll have to use super simple terms. Perhaps a simple yes or no would help my pea-brain understand you.

Remember, you have to use super simple terminology like yes or no, otherwise your fancy intellectual lingo will probably go right over my cretinous head.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
I'm asking you if something is or is not a metaphysical assumption for the purpose of clarifying how your criticism applies to my argument. And you're dodging the question. Whether that is because you can't answer it or because you don't want to is still to be determined.
Fruit_inspector self own(20): the answer is irrelevant - as if it is a metaphysical assumption - you’re wrong. If it is not a metaphysical assumption: then my argument stands and you’re still wrong. This is the answer to the question I have repeated multiple time’s now over multiple posts.

Fruit_inspector self own(21): I have already answered the question and in detail - in a set of posts you ignored; and I provided as links. Your inability to deal with the answer is not my problem. Please go back and re-read the answer 

Fruit_inspector self own(21): Stamping your feet and repeating the question because you don’t like, or won’t acknowledge my answer is cretinous. 

Fruit_inspector self own(22): continues to refuse to respond to argument:

What issue due you take with this? How does your question fit? It’s not clear - and you refuse to say.

Fruit_inspector self own(23): Fruit has ignored multiple posts, refused to answer multiple questions, has been systemically dishonest in refusing to address any arguments, failing to acknowledge criticism. He can’t even acknowledge that I have already answered his question; and have responded to the question in the last half dozen posts. 

I am unable and unwilling to give you a pass on your systematic inability to make a rational or intelligent counter argument.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Fruit_inspector self own(22): continues to refuse to respond to argument:
Did you ever stop to wonder whether asking a question about metaphysical assumptions would be directly related to addressing your argument about metaphysical assumptions? I am trying to address it, but you keep dodging the question.

Could you please either answer the question with a yes or no, because I am unaware of what your answer would be:

Bear in mind that I am trying to directly address the argument that you keep bringing up in every post. But I can't if you keep dodging the question. So are you going to keep repeating the same non-answer?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Did you ever stop to wonder whether asking a question about metaphysical assumptions would be directly related to addressing your argument about metaphysical assumptions?
Fruit_inspector self own(24) But your not - you’re not asking a question about what metaphysical assumptions are, your asking whether a given law of logic counts - and given that the answer has no relevance - the answer is that it doesn’t matter.

I am trying to address it, but you keep dodging the question.
Fruit_inspector self own(25) flat out bald faced lie. The question has been answered multiple time’s:

Post #174
Let’s say logic is a valid tool (I will cover the alternative shortly - just to prevent you quote mining again)  - the logic of my argument still necessarily stands; and your original claim that the universe was created is a more likely explanation is still completely unjustified.

Let’s take the alternative - that it’s not a valid tool. In this case, any claims about origins are by default impossible: and thus your original claim that the universe was created is a more likely explanation is still completely unjustified.

It doesn’t matter whether it or isn’t, whether it is true or not - you’re wrong both ways.
Fruit_inspector self own(26) - answer was ignored #1

Reposted in 176

Answered in the part of my post that you deliberately cut out:
Fruit_inspector self own(27) - post was ignored #2

And more in 178:

The conclusion of your original argument - that I’ve been desperately trying to draw you back to - assumes logic applies, or likely applies. If it doesn’t apply, then your conclusion doesn’t follow - which is my point. For your conclusion to follow, you must be able to determine whether it’s more likely for logic to be a valid tool. 
Fruit_inspector self own(28) - answer was ignored #3

Directed you back to these answers in post 190

Fruit_inspector self own(29) - answer was ignored #4

Directed back again in post 194 By linking all previous answers.

Fruit_inspector self own(30) - answer was ignored #5
Answered again in 194:

Question is irrelevant - if the answer is yes, my argument is valid on the grounds that it’s an assumption that you must make. If no, my argument is valid as it’s logic is sound.
Fruit_inspector self own(31) - answer was ignored #6

And 196:

the question is irrelevant - as if it is a metaphysical assumption - you’re wrong. If it is not a metaphysical assumption: then my argument stands and you’re still wrong.
Fruit_inspector self own(32) - answer was ignored #7

And 198:

the answer is irrelevant - as if it is a metaphysical assumption - you’re wrong. If it is not a metaphysical assumption: then my argument stands and you’re still wrong. This is the answer to the question I have repeated multiple time’s now over multiple posts.
Fruit_inspector self own(33) - answer was ignored #8

I am not dodging the question - I have answered it 8 individual time’s - you are just deliberately ignoring the answer; because it isn’t the one you wanted.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
I'm just going to assume that your answer is no, the law of noncontradiction is not a metaphysical assumption.

Since we can rule out option 2 (the universe caused itself) using the law of noncontradiction - which is not a metaphysical assumption - we have a basis to rule out at least one of our options without adding any metaphysical assumptions.

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_inspector self own(33) - answer was ignored again - #9

Fruit_inspector self own(34)- after being comprehensively shown that he’s dishonestly and repeatedly ignoring the answer - he “moves on”. Convenient!

Fruit_inspector self own(35) - fruit changes the terms of his list. What he originally said was:

The universe came from nothing (or is self-created)

Now he’s changed that to:

the universe caused itself

The option “The universe is finite in time, but uncaused” falls broadly under this second element of the list - and definitely doesn’t violate the law of non contradiction; arguably you could claim it falls under the first bullet; but the wording is so ambiguous (the universe is eternal) it is so ripe for equivocation as to be meaningless 

Note that this was covered in depth in post 29, 33, 94) where I explained why the list was poorly constructed.

Thus:

Fruit_inspector self own(36): You appear to be discounting a number of solutions that fall under #2 that cannot be discounted for the reasons you gave.

Fruit_inspector self own(37): doesn’t specify exactly how or why the universe creating itself violates the law of non contradiction - is unable to provide an argument.

Specifically the universe cannot both exist and not exist - if it did that would violate non contradiction. I think that’s fair. But a future event where the universe exists producing the same universe in the past - violates our understanding of causality through paradox; but not the law of non-contradiction.

If time is emergent within the universe rather than outside, how does “causation” even work? We have no basis for understanding how causation even works; the words you’re using cease to have rational meaning in that context- so it’s impossible to tell whether there’s any inherent contradiction without assuming our causality in a configuration where we know our causality cannot be applied.

Which is my argument that you keep ignoring is so relevant

Fruit_inspector self own(39): continues to refuse to respond to argument:

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Fruit_inspector self own(35) - fruit changes the terms of his list. What he originally said was:
The universe came from nothing (or is self-created)
Now he’s changed that to:
the universe caused itself
To say the universe is self-created is to say that it caused itself. And if I were to change it, I would actually just say "the universe is self-created" to make it simpler. We wouldn't want to have to hear more of your rambling than we have to. So it would read like this:
I'm just going to assume that your answer is no, the law of noncontradiction is not a metaphysical assumption.

Since we can rule out option 2 [the universe is self-created] using the law of noncontradiction - which is not a metaphysical assumption - we have a basis to rule out at least one of our options without adding any metaphysical assumptions.
For something to create itself, it would have to be before it was. It would have to exist before it existed. Something cannot exist and not exist at the same time. Therefore, option 2 (the universe is self-created) is invalidated as a reasonable option due to the law of noncontradiction.

Any explanation of origins that falls under option 2 can be ruled out based on the law of noncontradiction?

Are the Laws of Thermodynamics a metaphysical assumption?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
Fruit_inspector self own(40):  Fruit completely ignores the argument that refutes his point. #10 ignored points

The option “The universe is finite in time, but uncaused” falls broadly under your second element of the list - and definitely doesn’t violate the law of non contradiction; arguably you could claim it falls under the first bullet; but the wording is so ambiguous (the universe is eternal) it is so ripe for equivocation as to be meaningless.

If you want to take “the universe created itself” off the table; you must INSERT - “the universe came from nothing” And/or “the universe has no cause” into your list.

So either your argument here is wrong, and thus your original argument is wrong : or your list is incomplete and thus your original argument is wrong.

Either way - your argument is wrong.

Fruit_inspector self own(40): Fruit ignores “the universe came from nothing” part of his “the universe came from nothing (or was self created)” list item. 11 ignored points

Where did this option go? I have no clue!

Fruit_inspector self own(41) Completely ignores argument that demonstrates that this item doesn’t violate the law self contradiction unless you make metaphysical assumptions about causality . #12 ignored points

For something to create itself, it would have to be before it was. It would have to exist before it existed. Something cannot exist and not exist at the same time.
Fruit_inspector self own(42): I bolded words that require time. violation of non contradiction in your argument requires that the universe exists inside time; or temporal causality still applies without time - this is a metaphysical assumption. This is covered in post #29 and the post you just ignored:

If time is emergent within the universe rather than outside, how does “causation” even work? We have no basis for understanding how causation even works; the words you’re using cease to have rational meaning in that context- so it’s impossible to tell whether there’s any inherent contradiction without assuming our causality in a configuration where we know our causality cannot be applied.
#13 ignored points.

Therefore, option 2 (the universe is self-created) is invalidated as a reasonable option due to the law of noncontradiction.

Any explanation of origins that falls under option 2 can be ruled out based on the law of noncontradiction?
What happened to the “the universe came from nothing” part of the second list element?

I don’t know, you won’t say!

No: This is NOT incorrect.

“The universe came from nothing” does not violate non contradiction - it simply requires the metaphysical assumption that something can exist without itself having been caused.

If time is emergent from the universe - that the universe is itself atemporal; the word creation has no meaning - so your applying temporal rules to an atemporal universe. Which refutes the claim.

Fruit_inspector self own(43): Torpedoes his own argument. Even assuming all the refutations above don’t apply; Option three is that something caused the universe. The three options of fruits list also apply to any prospective cause of the universe. 

This would leave either infinite regress; or that something In reality is “eternal”.

Ignoring that this leaves out a whole bunch of options that fruit chopped out for no reason;  the idea that the cause of the universe maybe eternal, but that it’s not possible for the universe itself to be eternal in some way is special pleading. Which refutes his original argument.

Are the Laws of Thermodynamics a metaphysical assumption?

Fruit_inspector self own(44) fruit ignores 4 critical errors in his logic and reasoning; and changes the subject.

Depends on which context - in the scope of our observed temporal universe no - they exist and are observed.

Assuming that they hold either outside time or our universe: yes it is - first law requires time (for creation), the second law requires time (entropy increases with time). So any attempt to apply them outside the universe would be unsupportable speculation from which conclusions cannot be validly drawn.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
If you want to take “the universe created itself” off the table; you must INSERT - “the universe came from nothing” And/or “the universe has no cause” into your list.
The universe created itself=the universe is self created

"The universe came from nothing" is just another way to say the universe is self-created. That is why I said I would simplify it. My original comment was to someone else, which is why I phrased it that way. Had I known you were jumping in, I would have simplified it from the start to avoid the rambling we are now experiencing.

If the universe has no cause, it is eternal. That is option #1. All possibilities are accounted for.

For something to create itself, it would have to be before it was. It would have to exist before it existed. Something cannot exist and not exist at the same time.
Fruit_inspector self own(42): I bolded words that require time. violation of non contradiction requires that the universe exists inside time; or temporal causality still applies without time - this is a metaphysical assumption.
Whether we are looking at this in time or out of time does not matter. Using those terms is easier to convey the point. But if you prefer, we could use a term like "antecedent," or modify the phrase to say, "Something cannot both exist and not exist." Problem solved.

No: This is NOT incorrect.

“The universe came from nothing” does not violate non contradiction - it simply requires the metaphysical assumption that something can exist without itself having been caused.

If time is emergent from the universe - that the universe is itself atemporal; the word creation has no meaning - so your applying temporal rules to an atemporal universe. Which refutes the claim.
If something existed without having been caused, it would be eternal.

"The universe came from nothing" is just another way of saying that "the universe created itself," option #2. It also violates the the principle ex nihilo nihil fit.

So this claim violates two basic logical principles.

Fruit_inspector self own(43): Torpedoes his own argument. Even assuming all the refutations above don’t apply; Option three is that something caused the universe. The three options of fruits list also apply to any prospective cause of the universe. 

This would leave either infinite regress; or that something In reality is “eternal”.

Ignoring that this leaves out a whole bunch of options that fruit chopped out for no reason; the idea that the cause of the universe maybe eternal, but that it’s not possible for the universe itself to be eternal in some way is special pleading. Which refutes his original argument.
To avoid unnecessary ramblings, let's put the discussion of Thermodynamics on hold to address this.

If option #2 is invalidated as an illogical choice, your premise already fails. There is at least one option that is unfavorable compared to the others.

If we are then left with options #1 and #3, it is still possible that the universe is eternal - so there is no special pleading here. To say the universe is eternal is also to say it is uncaused.

And you are right that option #3 leaves us with infinite regress or something that is eternal (other than the universe). I would say that it is unreasonable to choose infinite regress, which would leave us with something that is eternal. So while options #1 and #3 are different, they both leave us with something that is eternal.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_inspector self own(45): ignores the provided examples of the universe causing itself that do not require violation of non-contradiction. This example refutes his conclusion. Strike #2. 

Whether we are looking at this in time or out of time does not matter. Using those terms is easier to convey the point. But if you prefer, we could use a term like "antecedent," or modify the phrase to say, "Something cannot both exist and not exist." Problem solved.

Fruit_inspector self own(46): it does indeed matter - removing the time component means that causation ceases to have any meaning. Antecedent is something that occurs “before” so has the same problem. The universe cannot concurrently exist and not exist - but that is temporal too; in an atemporal sense - there is no point in time at which the universe does not exist; so without assumed rules of causality - metaphysical assumptions - you can’t assume self contradiction.

Self own 45 notwithstanding - the main issue here, is that your argument is indicating that you purposefully included an impossible option in the list of possibilities - that you are now declaring impossible - with all related possibilities, and all options that seem to be part of 2 swept up into the ambiguously defined #1. It appears that option 2 (other than the example I gave) - is defined so that saying it is false is a tautology.

Fruit_inspector self own(47): this confirms that your list is ambiguous and poorly structured; and needs to be restated (as I argued in #29) - you ignored this point from my last post - strike #2

It also violates the the principle ex nihilo, nihil fit.

Fruit_inspector self own(47) Ex nihilo nihil fit is philosophical in nature - a metaphysical assumption - not a logical principle. But as “from nothing” pretty much means uncaused (nothing is it’s cause) - and as you affirm that as reasonable - you seem to refute your own position.

If option #2 is invalidated as an illogical choice, your premise already fails. There is at least one option that is unfavorable compared to the others.

Fruit_inspector self own(48): strawman: my conclusion is that you cannot logically claim any specific one of the possible options for the explanation of the universe is more likely or more reasonable over the others: NOT that all options are equally likely or that a posited option cannot be false. Indeed this is just a product of ambiguous framing of the list - something I pointed out in #29

Specifically - we’re left with options the universe has a cause (finite or infinite regression), and the universe is uncaused (but maybe finite or infinite)

If we are then left with options #1 and #3, it is still possible that the universe is eternal - so there is no special pleading here. 

(You mean uncaused...)
Fruit_inspector self own(49): wrong in both possible interpretations - the original conclusion was that #3 was more reasonable than #1.  To draw this conclusion one must special plead by suggesting what is impossible of the universe is possible for something that causes it. If you suggest that #1 is equally valid and reasonable as #3, you have conceded your conclusion is false: if not, it is still special pleading: and your conclusion is false: I’m counting this as Strike #2: as you haven’t explained why your conclusion of #3 over #1 is not special pleading.

To say the universe is eternal is also to say it is uncaused.

And you are right that option #3 leaves us with infinite regress or something that is eternal (other than the universe). I would say that it is unreasonable to choose infinite regress, which would leave us with something that is eternal. So while options #1 and #3 are different, they both leave us with something that is eternal.

You claimed that #3 is most reasonable; but now that #1 and #3 fall down onto an identical assumption - that something may exist without being caused:

Fruit_inspector self own(50): You have just refuted your original conclusion that #3 is more reasonable than #1 - by suggesting that they leave us with same thing you have eliminated any possibility that one is preferable over the other.

At this stage there are 4 actual conclusions:

1.) universe is uncaused. (Assumes uncaused causes can exist)

3.a) the universe is caused by a finite chain of things that ends in something uncaused (assumes uncaused causes can exist)

3.b) the universe is caused by an infinite regress. (Assumes Infinities can exist)

X.) There is another option that has not been considered as the laws of logic not applying to reality. (Assumes Laws of Logic don’t apply)

1+3a are the same. And the remaining 2 use different sets of assumptions - for 3 assumptions total. One has no basis to determine which of those assumptions are true, or more likely, or more reasonable as we have no basis for making that determination.

Fruit_inspector self own(51):  my conclusion - that we have no basis to conclude one option is more likely, or more reasonable than the other - is affirmed by your own argument.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Ramshutu
I’ve never seen someone so singularly dedicated to avoiding the other persons point. Right?
lol maybe this comment woke him up
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Would you also say that an uncaused cause is an effect of time?
No, if it’s an effect then time itself would be the cause. That’s not how those words are defined.

So, you don't know?
Um, yeah, that’s what I just said.

Amoranemix
Debates: 0
Amoranemix
-->
@ethang5
@EtrnlVw
@Ramshutu
@Fruit_Inspector
EtrnlVw 82 to Ramshutu :
The universe is like the fabric or backdrop to that which appears within the universe. Perhaps we can say that the universe is like a body of water per say, and then we have all that exists within that body of water. When we refer to creation, we are referring to that which appears within that body of water.
So God allegedly created the stuff within spacetime, but not spacetime itself ?
EtrnlVw 125 :
This question is nonsensical. Creation is directly related to time, the very action or process of creation is when time can appear as something that can be observed and measured. I'll let you dwell of the idea of "fixed" for awhile. Spacetime is simply an expansion, that expansion had a beginning. Time and this expansion are not relevant to an eternal structure. They occur within it not with it.
That you fail to understand the question does not make it nonsensical. You failed to answer it, but in so far that I can make sense of your description, according to your worldview there is spacetime and there is stuff that fill spactime that was created by God. Together they make the universe.

[5] That is your belief and hypothesis. However there are many belief on the origin of the universe. The scientific ones referring to God are low on the popularity list in cosmological circles.
[6] What does eternity mean in the absense of time ?
EtrnlVw 125 :
[5] Materialism is idiotic no matter what circles it infiltrates. To accept that inanimate forces and materials can build a working functioning universe is one of the most absurd notions that exists.
[6] As I already said, honestly I'm getting sick of trying to get someone to comprehend such a simple concept. I've thoroughly went over it in this thread. Eternity in the absence of time is a fixed state of existence because again, we need not bump into the infinite regress paradox. There is no paradox because time is only relevant to a starting point and an ending point. Remove those features and we have a stationary fixture. An infinite past is idiotic and makes no sense, it doesn't exist.[7]
Do you think that brain inside your skull can handle the distinction between eternal and temporal and time vs no time?[8] please say yes, because I'm not going over it again.   I mean I get it, everyone here is completely familiar with their life in relation to time....it's all they know, birth and death, beginning and ending, we start here and we go there ect ect but trust me. I've thought about this more than anyone here, once you get it through your head that time is basically an illusion and nothing more than a measurement you'll go "ahhhh well hell, that makes perfect sense". 
Eternity has no relationship with space between two events, it has no association with linear time as we observe it. 
[5] So you claim, but can you prove that ?
Ludwig Boltzman was condemned as an irreligious materialist. His critics argued it was sacriligious to reduce God's miraculous creation down to a series of basic interactions between tiny, inanimate spheres. He committed suicide in 1906. A shame, for Einstein had already vindicated him in 1905.
[6] So you use eternity with the meaning 'absense of time'. That can be confusing as it also means 'for an infinite amount of time'.
[7] What evidence can you present to support that claim ?
[8] Yes, I think so.

Ramshutu 114 :
You didn’t offer any justification: simply blurting our what you think is true, is not a valid way to have an argument.
EtrnlVw 127 :
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wasn't in an argument. However, none of my opinions are without justification, they are always well thought out whether or not you agree with them.[9] I understand you don't like my opinion but I didn't need to give anything other than what I think is true because I was not arguing or debating it. You on the other hand didn't argue my premise, you just claimed they were assertions and gave your own opinion. Heck, I wasn't even addressing you to begin with.
[9] Maybe so, but you failed to provide justification for most of your opinions.
You like belief-sharing a lot more than belief-demonstration, unless it is just that the former is much easier.

Ramshutu 114 :
Self replicating RNA in Protocells, to more complex cellular machinery in 500m years is a bit unclear.
EtrnlVw 127 :
Again, perhaps you completely don't understand my premise. Reciting processes is making my point not countering it. I'm not arguing against them, I'm giving you the dynamics of why they occur.
How is reciting a process making your point ?

ethang5 4 to n8nrgmi :
Exactly. In fact, the claim that the universe started itself violates some of the laws of science. But atheists are quite willing to contradict science in order to keep God out of the picture.
Which laws of science does the claim that the universe started itself violate ?
ethang5 128 :
Causality. Entropy. Life only from life.
How does the universe starting itself violate the law of causality ? How does it violate entropy ? How does it violate life from non-life ?
Scientific laws have an area of application. A phenomon outside the law's area of application may violate that law and that is no good reason to dismiss the phenomenon as impossible.
The Newtonian theory of gravity, conservation of mass, most triangle laws, Ohm's law, Bohr's atomic model and the ideal gas law are all invalid under certain circumstances.
So contrary to what you seem to believe, that is not evidence against the possibility of the universe having created itself.

ethang5 71 :
The atheists confusion come in when he conflates the creator and his creation, irrationally thinking that both must submit to the same laws.
It may be wrong, but that does not make believing otherwise irrational. Almost every creator is subject to some of the laws their creation is subject to, like the laws of mathematics and the laws of physics.
ethang5 128 :
God is a singularity. He precedes, and is the source of, all laws. Every other "creator" is composed of the same material as his creation, and is not the author of the natural laws governing his creation. God is unique that way. Believing God would be subject to laws He pre-existed and created IS irrational.
You are merely arguing, not demonstrating, merely claiming even, that atheists are wrong. You are merely claiming (again), not even arguing, let alone demonstrating, that believing otherwise is irrational.

Double_R 129 :
Third, is that this is a comparative statement. I wasn’t assessing the strength of the conclusion, I was explaining why the universe having no cause is a stronger explanation than God being the uncaused chase.
I wasn't arguing that God is the uncaused cause. I was arguing that there is an uncaused cause. Once we establish whether or not there is an uncaused cause, then we can discuss what that cause is.
That is not how scientific investigation works. Cosmologists aren't investigating whether the universe has an uncaused cause. They are investigating the origin of the universe. Only when that has been established can one discuss whether it could rightly be called an uncaused cause.
If you want to take a stab with the state of knowledge humanity has now, you should probably define cause first.

Ramshutu 132 to Fruit_Inspector :
Q11: Can you please explain to me why you skipped every single one of these questions without any explanation - and replied as if they didn’t exist.
Fruit_Inspector is Christian. You shouldn't take such people seriously. Their holy scriptures say an invisible sky magician spoke the world into existence. Take their lack of response as a concession of defeat. That's what I do.

Double_R  139 :
We know of nothing beyond the universe that exists, so the conclusion requiring the least amount of assumptions is that the universe is not an effect.
That is an assumption based on philosophical naturalism. You then forced your naturalistic presupposition onto my argument by forcing me to accept that "we know of nothing beyond the universe that exists." I reject that presupposition.
Do you have a better assumption ?

I don't know if anyone else has said this, but you may want to consider breaking up your responses as individual posts to those particular users.
Somewhere else, yes, but not on this forum.

Why must we avoid infinite regress ?
Why should that cause be an eternal entity ?
[no response]
You forgot to answer my questions.

Assuming the laws of thermodynamics, why could the universe not be eternal ?
[no response]
You forgot to answer my question.

[ . . . ]
So if you are strict enough then it would indeed seem that something cannot come from nothing. However, giving that you call the cause of the universe an entity, you are very lenient, suggesting that that nothing can be a lot of things.
Please explain why something cannot come from nothing.
[9] Have you considered the possibility of a time loop ?
[no response]
Of course, if you know your claim to be false, it is understandable you don't try explaining it.
[9] I thought so.

You reasoned as follows :

A. Time has a beginning.
P1. If time has a beginning, then time coming into existence is a product of time.
C. Therefore, time cannot have a beginning.

Can you demonstrate P1 ?
[no response]
Why might that be ?

[4] Almost everything in the universe is timeless, meaning it does not require time to exist.
What does it mean for time to come into existence if time already exists ?
The no boundary proposal seems to fit your description. If it is true then the answer would be yes.
[no response]
You forgot to answer my question.

Ramshutu 160 :
Of course it can’t be correct: That’s my entire point.
So your understanding of how reality works is incorrect...
So is yours.

You'll have to forgive my request for clarity. I am, after all, just an incompetent buffoon who likes picking peanuts out of poop.[10] But I want to make sure I'm absolutely clear what you're saying.
[10] You are probably not worse than the typical debating Christian and few are so humble.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Amoranemix
ethang5 4 to n8nrgmi :
Exactly. In fact, the claim that the universe started itself violates some of the laws of science. But atheists are quite willing to contradict science in order to keep God out of the picture.
Amoranemix 120 :
Which laws of science does the claim that the universe started itself violate ?
ethang5 128 :
Causality. Entropy. Life only from life.
How does the universe starting itself violate the law of causality ?
Do you know the law of causality? There needs to be a first cause. A first cause cannot pre-exist itself, and an effect cannot be causeless.

How does it violate entropy ?
A closed system cannot have a decrease in entropy, And a universe that "starts" itself cannot be an open system. Do you know the laws of entropy?

How does it violate life from non-life ?
Science has, for all of its existence, observed that life only comes from life. Every scientific experiment to date has confirmed this. There is not one shred of evidence that supports life from non-life.

Scientific laws have an area of application. A phenomon outside the law's area of application may violate that law and that is no good reason to dismiss the phenomenon as impossible.
Exactly. God is outside the area of application of the laws that govern and affect His creation. Laws cannot affect things outside their area of application.

The Newtonian theory of gravity, conservation of mass, most triangle laws, Ohm's law, Bohr's atomic model and the ideal gas law are all invalid under certain circumstances.
I did not say the laws were invalid. A law cannot affect anything before that law begins to exist. I said a self-starter universe violates those laws.

So contrary to what you seem to believe, that is not evidence against the possibility of the universe having created itself.
They certainly are. Our universe operates on logic. Effects preceeding causes, or being causeless, and a "closed system" universe with increases in entropy are all illogical.

ethang5 71 :
The atheists confusion come in when he conflates the creator and his creation, irrationally thinking that both must submit to the same laws.
Amoranemix 120 :
It may be wrong, but that does not make believing otherwise irrational. Almost every creator is subject to some of the laws their creation is subject to, like the laws of mathematics and the laws of physics.
ethang5 128 :
God is a singularity. He precedes, and is the source of, all laws. Every other "creator" is composed of the same material as his creation, and is not the author of the natural laws governing his creation. God is unique that way. Believing God would be subject to laws He pre-existed and created IS irrational.
You are merely arguing, not demonstrating, merely claiming even, that atheists are wrong. You are merely claiming (again), not even arguing, let alone demonstrating, that believing otherwise is irrational.
I see you have reached the end of your argument and the conclusion you wanted is still out of sight. I am demonstrating logic.

The words in our discussion have set meanings. Neither of us can treat them as if their meaning will be decided at a whim, or that their meaning is fluid within the discussion. The concept of "God" has a logical meaning.

Requiring you to adhere to that logical meaning is not merely "arguing". If you believe that your argument, and indeed the universe, do not need to operate under the laws of logic, then discussions with you will be pointless.

Amoranemix  to Fruit Inspector:
[10] You are probably not worse than the typical debating Christian and few are so humble.

Absent your hubris, you would have known he was not being humble.