the universe most likely didn't cause itself

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 219
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
So to be clear, an uncaused cause would not be a product of time then?
Yes, it would be.

So are we going to spend the next few days arguing over the definition of “product”, or are you going to address the central question this conversation is supposedly about - that you cannot have a cause, regardless of whether that cause itself was caused or uncaused, outside of time?
Fruit_Inspector
Debates: 20
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
You appear to have ignored my entire argument:
[YOU]: The central point is that no possible solution for the universe matches our understanding of how things work;
[ME]: I will take this as an admission that your understanding of how things work is in error because it doesn't match reality.
Systematically ignoring everything someone said a pretty clear evidence to everyone that you have conceded the point.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Actually that was included explicitly in the post you ignored. Please see large bolded portion, which explains my argument, explains that you’ve completely misunderstood it, explains how the definitions you’re using do not impact my argument.

Ignoring the entirety of what people say - makes you look an incapable buffoon that has no ability to argue with my point.

I don’t want to go back and “talk about something else”, I simply want you to not ignore an entire post someone makes; I made a whole number of key points, and argument restatements that are critical - because I’m going to now have to restate them for maybe the 6th time as you keep ignoring them  ..

My main point is absolutely not about causality and time: it’s about what conclusions we can draw from our intuitions. And you not understanding what my argument is, is exactly why I object to you systematically ignoring it.

Definitions always matter. And the definition of the Law of Causality seems relevant to a discussion about causality.

It only matters if it impacts the conclusion. If whatever definition you want to supply still works - then arguing about the definition is a red herring.

As I pointed out: the definition you’ve used throughout doesn’t impact anything. It still doesn’t really

You have made no attempt to show how the argument is impacted - you’re just saying it is - just objecting to something because you can object...

How have I changed the definition of causality? I have been consistently using the same one. And again, I wanted to come to an agreed upon definition of the Law of Causality before continuing. But you don't want to do that so we'll go back to that if the need arises.

I was pretty clear what I meant by causality from the start; cause and effect coupled in time. Arguing that time is not part of causality is brand new: and something you should have said at the start, no? Rather than simply springing it after a half dozen posts and pretending that this is what you meant the whole time.

Your characterization here is comprehensively false.

Well that depends on your definition of the Law of Causality. I haven't changed mine to suggest this. Your definition seems to be different. As I have said repeatedly, definitions do in fact matter.

I’ve been fairly clear throughout: you completely ignored it: Your definition doesn’t match what we observe, or how we understand causality.

What we intuit and observe about causality requires time; and does not make sense without it. Time travel does not lead to a causality that makes sense - including things like paradoxes; and still involve linear causality (effects always occurs in a causes local future - but not necessarily a global future).

But your overt fixation with definitions is missing the point - as should have been clear in the post you ignored.

The central point is that no possible solution for the universe matches our understanding of how things work; so we cannot deduce a solution using our current understanding.

If we change our understanding of how things work: we have no basis for assessing the validity of what we come up with - so we can draw no probability.

This whole weird definition side track demonstrates my point.

In order to conclude the universe was created; you have to define causality as non temporal. If you do that; all other options are now just as reasonable.

You would be aware of this had you read my argument or had you actually tried to show how changes in definitions impacted my argument - it would also have shown that applying it to your own argument undermines your conclusion.

This is why I’m calling you out for constantly ignoring me. My argument doesn’t functionally rely on causality actually being one way or another; something you have yet to wrap your head round; only that it must not follow the rules as we observe or perceive them - and if doesn’t: we have no basis upon which to speculate: in both cases the original conclusion you made - is false.

It’s that link back to my argument - and your argument you keep ignoring. It’s not clear how any of your objections link to what we said; thus it appears you’re just trying to find an objection - any objection : Picking peanuts out of poop.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
If we change our understanding of how things work: we have no basis for assessing the validity of what we come up with - so we can draw no probability.
"If I admit that my presuppositions are wrong, even when they conflict with reality, I have no basis to understand anything because my presuppositions are not wrong."
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Double_R
So to be clear, an uncaused cause would not be a product of time then?
Yes, it would be.
Then I guess I will see you in English 101 because your choice of words required clarification (i.e. something that wasn't produced can be a product).

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but we can probably agree that time is a property of the universe. That would mean that without the universe, there would be no time.

From what you've said, your position is that we can't know whether the universe, and thus time, has a beginning or not. It seems at least possible then that the universe, and thus time, did have a beginning. Not certainly, but it's possible. If the universe has a beginning, or the existence of the universe has a cause, the existence of time would also have a cause.

So if something caused time to begin, would time begin at the point of the cause, or would time begin at the point of the effect?

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
Again - picking peanuts out of poop. 

“Let’s ignore everything my opponent said and find at least one thing I can throw up some random nonsense quote; even though I make no attempt to bother to show how it applies to his argument, and whilst I’m doing my best to not argue”

I explained how reality works in the posts you ignored. You haven’t objected...

How reality works is unable to explain reality - explained in the posts you ignored. You haven’t objected...

To explain reality you must therefore add unsupported presupposition, as explained in the all the posts you ignored. You haven’t objected...

If you that, you have no basis in reality to assess which of the many presuppositions you could make are valid. Again - notes in all the posts you ignored; you haven’t objected. 

As a result - the justification for your original argument is Fundamentally undermined.

Again - it’s all there in the posts you ignored; really you should take a look, it already explains the detail.

I don’t want to go back and “talk about something else”, I simply want you to not ignore an entire post someone makes; I made a whole number of key points, and argument restatements that are critical - because I’m going to now have to restate them for maybe the 6th time as you keep ignoring them  ..

My main point is absolutely not about causality and time: it’s about what conclusions we can draw from our intuitions. And you not understanding what my argument is, is exactly why I object to you systematically ignoring it.

Definitions always matter. And the definition of the Law of Causality seems relevant to a discussion about causality.

It only matters if it impacts the conclusion. If whatever definition you want to supply still works - then arguing about the definition is a red herring.

As I pointed out: the definition you’ve used throughout doesn’t impact anything. It still doesn’t really

You have made no attempt to show how the argument is impacted - you’re just saying it is - just objecting to something because you can object...

How have I changed the definition of causality? I have been consistently using the same one. And again, I wanted to come to an agreed upon definition of the Law of Causality before continuing. But you don't want to do that so we'll go back to that if the need arises.

I was pretty clear what I meant by causality from the start; cause and effect coupled in time. Arguing that time is not part of causality is brand new: and something you should have said at the start, no? Rather than simply springing it after a half dozen posts and pretending that this is what you meant the whole time.

Your characterization here is comprehensively false.

Well that depends on your definition of the Law of Causality. I haven't changed mine to suggest this. Your definition seems to be different. As I have said repeatedly, definitions do in fact matter.

I’ve been fairly clear throughout: you completely ignored it: Your definition doesn’t match what we observe, or how we understand causality.

What we intuit and observe about causality requires time; and does not make sense without it. Time travel does not lead to a causality that makes sense - including things like paradoxes; and still involve linear causality (effects always occurs in a causes local future - but not necessarily a global future).

But your overt fixation with definitions is missing the point - as should have been clear in the post you ignored.

The central point is that no possible solution for the universe matches our understanding of how things work; so we cannot deduce a solution using our current understanding.

This whole weird definition side track demonstrates my point.

In order to conclude the universe was created; you have to define causality as non temporal. If you do that; all other options are now just as reasonable.

You would be aware of this had you read my argument or had you actually tried to show how changes in definitions impacted my argument - it would also have shown that applying it to your own argument undermines your conclusion.

This is why I’m calling you out for constantly ignoring me. My argument doesn’t functionally rely on causality actually being one way or another; something you have yet to wrap your head round; only that it must not follow the rules as we observe or perceive them - and if doesn’t: we have no basis upon which to speculate: in both cases the original conclusion you made - is false.

It’s that link back to my argument - and your argument you keep ignoring. It’s not clear how any of your objections link to what we said; thus it appears you’re just trying to find an objection - any objection : Picking peanuts out of poop.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
How reality works is unable to explain reality
This line is my absolute favorite.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
This line is my absolute favorite.
And fully justified in all the posts you ignored.

More picking peanuts out of poops.

Specifically; and let me reiterate for the 9482th time just to highlight to everyone that you’re fully unable to answer any argument presented to you:

We observe reality, and have understood temporal principles of causality that are temporal, our understanding of reality is predicated upon time.

What we observe and understand of them;  are completely unable to explain their own existence. Our reality can’t explain itself.

This renders your original argument completely false; which is why you seem to have given up any pretence of trying to argue.

As covered in the post you ignored below:

I’ll have running bets with anyone willing to offer odds that Fruit will be unable to directly address any argument for the next 100 replies and will just carry on this nonsense.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
We observe reality, and have understood temporal principles of causality that are temporal, our understanding of reality is predicated upon time.

What we observe and understand of them; are completely unable to explain their own existence. Our reality can’t explain itself.
So just to be clear, your understanding of how reality works can't explain reality. It seems we have two options to consider:
  1. Your understanding of how reality works is at least partially incorrect, and it is possible for reality to exist according to how reality works.
  2. Your understanding of how reality works is correct, and it is impossible for reality to exist according to how reality works.
I pick peanut #1.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
So just to be clear, your understanding of how reality works can't explain reality. It seems we have two options to consider:
Your understanding of how reality works is at least partially incorrect, and it is possible for reality to exist according to how reality works.
Your understanding of how reality works is correct, and it is impossible for reality to exist according to how reality works.
I pick peanut #1.

*Our understanding of how reality works. 

Of course it can’t be correct: That’s my entire point. But anything else is complete rank speculation with no basis - meaning that you have no basis to select one possibility as more likely than others. Hence: you are wrong.

I mean come on - I covered this like 8 times in the posts you deliberately ignored because you have no ability to contest my point.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
It's not a curse word. You don't have do blank out any letters. I said "your" and that's what I meant.

Of course it can’t be correct: That’s my entire point.
So your understanding of how reality works is incorrect...

But anything else is complete rank speculation with no basis
...and a correct understanding of how reality works is rank speculation with no basis. Well, no basis other than reality of course.

I mean come on - I covered this like 8 times in the posts you deliberately ignored because you have no ability to contest my point.
Wait, I thought you had just covered it for the "9482th" time? But it doesn't matter how many times you explain your understanding of how reality works. It will continue being incorrect - by your own admission - every single time.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
No - it’s our collective, observed, intuitive understanding of how reality works - as humans: Things proceed in time. Cause occurs before effect.

It’s not like there’s any scientific principle or observed instance if anything other than that happening, right?

It’s definitely wrong - but that’s all we’ve ever seen. So when you pull random speculation out of your ass; and draw conclusions from it such as “the universe is likely caused by something”, that conclusion is completely baseless.

Seriously though: the lengths you are going to in order to avoid an argument is hilarious.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Seriously though: the lengths you are going to in order to avoid an argument is hilarious.
What is there to argue about? I don't have to prove you wrong - you've already admitted you are. And I can't prove you right because you're wrong.

Seriously though: the lengths you are going to in order to prove you are right by claiming that you're wrong is hilarious.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
What is there to argue about? I don't have to prove you wrong - you've already admitted you are. And I can't prove you right because you're wrong.
Your confusing my premise - that our understanding of reality is not correct  - with my conclusion -that you’re pulling assumptions out of your arse to make up for it, and implying they are more likely than any other.

I mean; acknowledging our understanding is wrong only disproves my argument if I use my understanding to assert that one option is more likely than others - and only you’re doing that.

This is hilarious. It must be eating you up inside how I’m able to keep drawing the conversation back to the original point. I’m genuinely interested to see how long you can keep up this level of overtly obvious incapability

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Perhaps it would be helpful if you would describe in very clear terms how you understand reality works regarding causality, just so I'm 100% clear.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Perhaps it would be helpful if you would describe in very clear terms how you understand reality works regarding causality, just so I'm 100% clear.

Our understanding of how reality works - what humanity and science have figured out and observed. There’s only one element that matters in my argument. Let’s see if I mentioned it:

Post 33:

“Cause and effect have a temporal relationship - cause precedes effect“

Post 52:

“Cause and effect have a temporal relationship - cause precedes effect”

Post 67:

“Cause and effect have a temporal relationship - cause precedes effect:”

Post 94:

“IE: to have a beginning, to have a cause, to be caused, etc - in the way we understand the terms - requires time to exist. 

That’s the central point I am making“

“that a cause and effect must be temporally related.”

Post 145.

“cause and effect are coupled in time.”

“What we intuit and observe about causality requires time; and does not make sense without it.”

Post 158
“our understanding of reality is predicated upon time.”

And post 162
“Things proceed in time. Cause occurs before effect.”

I think you’ve lost track of what you’re ignoring:

Your conclusion that it is more likely that the universe has a cause is invalid because it requires presuppositions outside our understanding of how are universe works are baseless and arbitrary - there is no basis on which you claim your conclusion is more or less probable than other presuppositions that enables others.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Then I guess I will see you in English 101 because your choice of words required clarification (i.e. something that wasn't produced can be a product).
I’m just going to leave this here.

prod·uct
/ˈprädəkt/
Learn to pronounce
noun
1.an article or substance that is manufactured or refined for sale. "food products"
2. a thing or person that is the result of an action or process.

If the universe has a beginning, or the existence of the universe has a cause, the existence of time would also have a cause.
We’ve been through this already.

First of all I’ve already made my position clear that there is no basis to assert that the universe had a cause.

Second and more importantly, a cause, by definition, requires time in order for the word to apply. In the absence of time the word cause has no meaning, so your presumption is incoherent.

I don’t understand why that’s so complicated.

would time begin at the point of the cause, or would time begin at the point of the effect?
It would just begin. Causes and effects would take place inside of it, as far as we could possibly deduce. What our deductions are worth is another question…

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
You'll have to forgive my request for clarity. I am, after all, just an incompetent buffoon who likes picking peanuts out of poop. But I want to make sure I'm absolutely clear what you're saying.

Your premise:
  • "that our understanding of reality is not correct"

Your understanding of how reality works:
  • “that a cause and effect must be temporally related"

Your premise restated for clarity:
  • "[that a cause and effect must be temporally related] is not correct."

Have I misrepresented you here?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector

Your understanding of how reality works:

•  “that a cause and effect must be temporally related"
As you seem to pick peanuts out of poop: let’s be fully explicit

• Our understanding of how the reality we observe, experience and measure works is that causes and their effects are temporally related - specifically that effects always occur after their cause in a local frame of reference.
Your premise restated for clarity:
  • That understanding of how our perceived reality works cannot be coherently applied to explain why our perceived reality exists without adding metaphysical assumptions which cannot themselves be validated or assessed.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
From your post #164:
Your confusing my premise - that our understanding of reality is not correct - with my conclusion -that you’re pulling assumptions out of your arse to make up for it, and implying they are more likely than any other.
Your confusing your premise - that our understanding of reality is not correct - with your conclusion - [That understanding of how our perceived reality works cannot be coherently applied to explain why our perceived reality exists without adding metaphysical assumptions which cannot themselves be validated or assessed.]

How is the following statement inconsistent with your premise (not your conclusion)?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
My original post.

Your confusing my premise - that our understanding of reality is not correct  - with my conclusion -that you’re pulling assumptions out of your arse to make up for it, and implying they are more likely than any other.

My premise:

Our understanding of reality is not correct - meaning that how our perceived reality works cannot be coherently applied to explain why our perceived reality exists without adding metaphysical assumptions which cannot themselves be validated or assessed. (IE: it is insufficient, and requires expansion of some in order to apply to the universe)

my conclusion: that it’s invalid to pull one of any number of metaphysical assumptions out of your arse to solve the problem and unilaterally state that the resulting conclusion is more likely.

It all follows, it’s all fully consistent with everything said.

You kinda accidentally mixed up by conclusion with my premise again. Good try though. 
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Your confusing my premise - that our understanding of reality is not correct - with my conclusion -that you’re pulling assumptions out of your arse to make up for it, and implying they are more likely than any other.

My premise:

Our understanding of reality is not correct - meaning that how our perceived reality works cannot be coherently applied to explain why our perceived reality exists without adding metaphysical assumptions which cannot themselves be validated or assessed. (IE: it is insufficient, and requires expansion of some in order to apply to the universe)
Ok I'll bite. So now with that added content, our current and collective understanding of reality that cause and effect must be temporally related is not correct. And, the only way to coherently explain why our perceived reality exists is to assume there is some metaphysical aspect to it, rather than strictly temporal.

Question:
Are logic and reason valid tools for assessing claims - even those regarding metaphysics?
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Double_R
prod·uct
/ˈprädəkt/
Learn to pronounce
noun
1.an article or substance that is manufactured or refined for sale. "food products"
2. a thing or person that is the result of an action or process.
This would be essentially synonymous with the term "effect," right?

From dictionary.com:
  • Effect - "something that is produced by an agency or cause;"

It would just begin. Causes and effects would take place inside of it, as far as we could possibly deduce.
Perhaps you could be a bit more specific then that. Would time begin at the same point as the first cause, or would time have begun before the first cause?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Ok I'll bite. So now with that added content,
Yay! Finally! Also more: this is what I’ve been saying all along..

our current and collective understanding of reality that cause and effect must be temporally related is not correct.
No - our current collective understanding of reality works fine for what we see and observe - but is not sufficient to explain their own origins on its own. It’s either not correct on a universal scale (requires replacing with another metaphysical assumption), or is correct but incomplete : (requires supplementation with another metaphysical Assumption in order to work)

And, the only way to coherently explain why our perceived reality exists is to assume there is some metaphysical aspect to it, rather than strictly temporal.
No - the only way is to add metaphysical assumptions that can’t be validated - such as “infinites can exist” or “things can exist without a cause” or “creation can occur without time”, or any one of a trillion arbitrary and unsupported conjectures. As I explained in the posts you keep ignoring - causality could still be strictly temporal, but for that to be coherent, you need to make assumptions about how reality works. 

Are logic and reason valid tools for assessing claims - even those regarding metaphysics?
I have Absolutely no clue whatsoever. Why do you think it matters? Have you applied it to my argument? In what manner do you think my argument breaks down? Why does either specific answer (or the answer you want me to give) impacts position.

This is what I refer to as picking peanuts out of poop: your focusing on making an objection - Any objection (the peanut) - without any apparent reasoning about why the objection is even valid; or how it extends to their broad argument or point (the poop)

For example - let’s take that assumption about logic.

Let’s say logic is a valid tool (I will cover the alternative shortly - just to prevent you quote mining again)  - the logic of my argument still necessarily stands; and your original claim that the universe was created is a more likely explanation is still completely unjustified.

Let’s take the alternative - that it’s not a valid tool. In this case, any claims about origins are by default impossible: and thus your original claim that the universe was created is a more likely explanation is still completely unjustified.

So to summarize - I have no idea, and no basis for finding out. But any way you could answer that question invariably leads to your Original conclusion being unjustified - which is my whole point.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
From post #160:
Your understanding of how reality works is at least partially incorrect, and it is possible for reality to exist according to how reality works.
Your understanding of how reality works is correct, and it is impossible for reality to exist according to how reality works.
I pick peanut #1.

This is what you said previously. Your entire point was that our understanding of how reality works - that a cause and effect must be temporally related - can't be correct. So how is it inconsistent to say that "our current and collective understanding of reality that cause and effect must be temporally related is not correct"?

I have Absolutely no clue whatsoever.
If you have no clue, then how can you claim that there are "metaphysical assumptions which cannot themselves be validated or assessed"? If you don't know, then the possibility is open that they can be assessed by logic and reason, and your criticism is invalid.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu

This is what you said previously. Your entire point was that our understanding of how reality works - that a cause and effect must be temporally related - can't be correct. So how is it inconsistent to say that "our current and collective understanding of reality that cause and effect must be temporally related is not correct"?
Peanuts out of poop.

Our understanding of how reality works is not sufficient to explain the existence of reality: in the sense of a solution to existence - it is not correct.

However; a correct solution to existence could definition allow for a temporal relationship between events as we observe them; if unprovable metaphysical assumptions are added.

In this sense; I mean “not correct” to mean “insufficient to explain”, rather than “inherently invalid”

Like Newton’s law. Newton’s laws are not correct in that they are insufficient; but they’re not false - they still apply with modification...

This is like the third time I’ve corrected you on this - it would help if you paid attention.

I have Absolutely no clue whatsoever.
If you have no clue, then how can you claim that there are "metaphysical assumptions which cannot themselves be validated or assessed"? If you don't know, then the possibility is open that they can be assessed by logic and reason, and your criticism is invalid.
Answered in the part of my post that you deliberately cut out:

For example - let’s take that assumption about logic.

Let’s say logic is a valid tool (I will cover the alternative shortly - just to prevent you quote mining again)  - the logic of my argument still necessarily stands; and your original claim that the universe was created is a more likely explanation is still completely unjustified.

Let’s take the alternative - that it’s not a valid tool. In this case, any claims about origins are by default impossible: and thus your original claim that the universe was created is a more likely explanation is still completely unjustified.

So to summarize - I have no idea, and no basis for finding out. But any way you could answer that question invariably leads to your Original conclusion being unjustified - which is my whole point.
To add to this however: your problem is that you drew a form conclusion. That something was probable. We can assess the logic of your assumption - are they logically sound - but whether they are correct or likely are based on whether the premises and assumptions are likely. How do you assess the likelihood that logic does or does not Apply? How do you assess the likelihood that infinities can exist - that something may not have a cause? You can’t because there is no basis to test or validate those premises... which would make your original claim false...

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
In this sense; I mean “not correct” to mean “insufficient to explain”, rather than “inherently invalid”
If your premise, brought to its logical conclusion, makes it impossible for reality to exist as you have repeatedly claimed, then you are left with two options:
  • Reality exists and your premise is wrong
  • Reality doesn't exist and your premise is right

To add to this however: your problem is that you drew a form conclusion. That something was probable.
Which conclusion are you talking about?

How do you assess the likelihood that logic does or does not Apply?
Where have I talked about the likelihood of logic applying to something?

How do you assess the likelihood that infinities can exist - that something may not have a cause?
Have I claimed the it is likely that infinities can exist? Or that it is likely something may not have a cause?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
If your premise, brought to its logical conclusion, makes it impossible for reality to exist as you have repeatedly claimed, then you are left with two options:
  • Reality exists and your premise is wrong
  • Reality doesn't exist and your premise is right
My premise is.

“Our understanding of how reality (specifically various aspects of causality) works is not sufficient to explain the existence of reality”

If Reality exists  and our understanding is not sufficient to explain it. Then reality exists and my premise is correct. Boom.

How in the good name of holy loving fuck did you manage to mangle that into claiming

“My premise means that reality cannot exist?“

You keep repeatedly confusing my premises, my conclusion, and the concept of what our understanding of reality is.  I would love to know, as this argument makes literally no sense.

To add to this however: your problem is that you drew a form conclusion. That something was probable.
Which conclusion are you talking about?
The conclusion of my original argument that I have continually posted, repeatedly, in multiple posts - that I even mention repeatedly in the parts of my post you chopped out.  I am unable to read for you.

How do you assess the likelihood that logic does or does not Apply?
Where have I talked about the likelihood of logic applying to something?
The conclusion of your original argument - that I’ve been desperately trying to draw you back to - assumes logic applies, or likely applies. If it doesn’t apply, then your conclusion doesn’t follow - which is my point. For your conclusion to follow, you must be able to determine whether it’s more likely for logic to be a valid tool. 

How do you assess the likelihood that infinities can exist - that something may not have a cause?
Have I claimed the it is likely that infinities can exist? Or that it is likely something may not have a cause?
Your argument - was that the universe having been caused  is a more likely explanation than the others -  the universe not having a cause, causing itself, or being eternal.

So yeah - your argument is BUILT upon probability claims on infinities, things not having cases, etc...

I mean - how on earth can you say anything is more likely than the universe being eternal - if you cannot deduce the probability of the universe being eternal?

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
“Our understanding of how reality (specifically various aspects of causality) works is not sufficient to explain the existence of reality”
You specifically stated that we have to violate our notions of causality in order to explain the existence of reality in post #29. If your understanding of how reality worked was correct - specifically your understanding of causality - you wouldn't have to violate it to explain why reality exists.

Your argument - was that the universe having been caused is a more likely explanation than the others - the universe not having a cause, causing itself, or being eternal.
Can you please cite where I argued that the universe having a cause is a more likely explanation than the others? As opposed to being the only logical conclusion?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
You specifically stated that we have to violate our notions of causality in order to explain the existence of reality in post #29. If your understanding of how reality worked was correct - specifically your understanding of causality - you wouldn't have to violate it to explain why reality exists.
Fruit Inspector self-own (1): Unable to find a logical error in my argument - he is resorting to trying to find inconsistencies between what I said in my first response days ago - and what I just said - finding only minor phrasing differences. 

I’m keeping track of these now lol.

Objecting to object - peanuts out of poop; sifting through a 100 of my posts to find some way of splitting hairs in all the posts you ignored; let me plug what I said into my argument:

What we observe Causality is temporal in nature: cause, creation implicitly rely on time in order to have meaning. What we understand of this causality - how our reality works, what we can measure - cannot be applied to the existence of our universe - it can be considered [incomplete/invalid/violated/incorrect/insufficient/etc] as all possible options require additional metaphysical assumptions that cannot be validated against what we see : Therefore your conclusion picking one solution over others necessitates you picking one metaphysical solution over some other one without any valid reason.

Can you please cite where I argued that the universe having a cause is a more likely explanation than the others? As opposed to being the only logical conclusion?
“I would say the only reasonable choice is option 3.”

I took that to mean probability. 

I am very happy if you meant “the only logical conclusion” - as that means that you’re argument is Deductive rather than inductive - which means you are assuming as true all the metaphysical assumptions you can’t possibly know, vs assuming them as probable. The issue is exactly the same and would render your conclusion invalid in both cases:

Fruit Inspector self-own (2): Asking a question in which his own conclusion fails for all answers.