the universe most likely didn't cause itself

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 219
Fruit_Inspector
Debates: 20
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Amoranemix
The laws of thermodynamics are valid in a lab on earth, but not for universes. The first and second law can be broken.
I won't even bother with this response.

How does option 2 violate reason ?
That something can come from nothing is impossible. Nor can the universe cannot be self-created as that would require the universe to exist before it existed.

Some Christians argue that the uniformity of nature (i.e. that the natural laws don't change) must require God, as without him they should change. Keeping that argument in mind we have even less reason to believe that the natural laws as we know them also ruled prior to the Big Bang.
I have not made that argument.

Fruit_Inspector 76 :
I ask because if time has a beginning, then it seems that time coming into existence must be a product of time. So if you believe time has a beginning, you have the same problem I do and you should reject the idea of time having a beginning.
You know too little about the topic to make such a claim. Experts think that time can have a beginning. See for example en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartle–Hawking_state. FLRW talks about that hypothesis in post 86.
This comment was bringing Double_R's claim to it's logical conclusion. I reject his reasoning that every cause is the product of time.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
I think this reseach paper explains it all.

Religious delusions in patients admitted to hospital with schizophrenia

Conclusion: It is concluded that religious delusions are commonly found in schizophrenia and that by comparison with other patients who have schizophrenia, those patients with religious delusions appear to be more severely ill. This warrants further investigation.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Well it seems reasonable to want to have an agreed upon definition of the Law of Causality rather than just saying it doesn't matter. You have said that the idea of an uncaused cause is possible, but it violates our notions of causality. You are assuming what "our notions of causality" are, while dismissing an attempt to try to come to a fundamental point of agreement. But let's look at the time issue to avoid more of your rambling.

You stated than an uncaused cause is possible. Now an uncaused cause would have to be self-existent, not requiring anything else for it's existence. This entity, whatever it may be, does not require time to exist. The possibility of an entity that can exist without time must be factored into this discussion. Specifically, can a timeless entity cause time to come into existence without time previously existing?

I think we need to be careful here in assuming we have time all figured out. Is time binding on all immaterial entities? Is it impossible for something to go backwards in time solely because that would require a cause happening "before" an effect? Can causes and effects be simultaneous in time, while still being logically sequential? All this to say that perhaps you have made a universal law out of something that is not universal.

I have no clue which it is: though My personal preference is the latter - I have no basis in which to declare our notions of causality is universal even though that seems to be the basis for all theists in this thread.
If your notions of causality break down when confronted with reality, perhaps there is an error with your assumed notions of causality.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
That something can come from nothing is impossible.
Yay for rational, logical common sense.

Nor can the universe cannot be self-created as that would require the universe to exist before it existed.

Finite, occupied space Universe is eternally existent in whatever set of limited, transformative patterns. To think anything else has no rational, logical common sense basis.

Finite occupied space Universe is most likely like a blob --think 3D amoeba or jello-like or algae etc--,  that, maybe could approach a high frequency set of sphericity, altho,  never  absolute true sphere { concept only }.

Could a spherical Universe become a torus, and then back-n-forth eternally.   I dunno

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Amoranemix
I assume you mean that the sequence of causes must have begun. Why is that ?

On a logical note an infinite past is not possible no matter how you look it, you can't have two linear ends that never reach a destination. I think everyone probably knows this, they just haven't thought it through enough to agree with it. I've settled the dispute with a fixed reality, where movement (creation) appears on top of that eternal framework. This means there was never and infinite past or an infinite future and instead there is an eternal platform that does not exist within a linear time frame. It is simply stationary, fixed and unchanging.
This means that time is sort of an illusion in the sense that it is not an actual phenomenon but simply a measurement between two events. At the moment of the BB is where an expansion occurred, this is where we now can measure one event from the other but it sits on top of an eternal fixed backdrop. This expansion that the Creator initiated does not effect the backdrop, it simply occurs within it.
The atheist doesn't seem to understand that we have two natures of reality...we call one eternal and the other temporal. Eternity is fixed, but temporal is dependent upon the beginning of an event and the end of the event. Basically time only appears where we have a succession of events that occur where we can measure the distance between them but there is no succession of events in eternity and so there is no time that can be measured, there is no beginning point and ending point. As I said it is a fixed Reality.
Now, if the silly atheist would stop claiming that I'm special pleading (which I'm not), they would understand what I've done here. I've dealt with the infinite regression paradox while not contradicting the temporal time frame structure of our universe. They should be happy, instead they play the fallacy game because it is apparent they don't want problems to be dealt with, they want things to remain a paradox so they have no reason to allow for any knowledge of God. They don't want God to fit with reality in a logical way. Fine, it is what it is but I'm sick of going over something so simple to understand.

then God cannot precedede the universe.

If the "universe" is eternal it is only because God is eternal. That being said when I refer to a beginning I'm referring to creation....events that occurred after the BB. Creation is the processes God manifests to bring things into existence.

The reasoning you both arguing about assumes a universal time. I suspect though time was close enough to universal around the time of the Big Bang.

Time began at the BB, this is where we observe an expansion, this is where we begin to observe events taking place. Prior to this, it was a fixed reality where there was no sequence of events. Again, eternity is not an infinite past and future it is a static fixed state of existence. In other words there is no recollection of birth and death and so there is no relation to something that began and something that will end. Linear time is non-existent.

Who is the we that correlates these processes with intelligence ? I don't correlate the creation of gamma ray burst, white dwarf stars and tau neutrinos with intelligence.

Processes that reach a desired outcome for a desired product indicate knowledge. This is about as simple of a commonsense observation one can make.

Why is that ?

I like things that align with commonsense logic?

So God allegedly created the stuff within spacetime, but not spacetime itself ?

This question is nonsensical. Creation is directly related to time, the very action or process of creation is when time can appear as something that can be observed and measured. I'll let you dwell of the idea of "fixed" for awhile. Spacetime is simply an expansion, that expansion had a beginning. Time and this expansion are not relevant to an eternal structure. They occur within it not with it.

That is your belief and hypothesis. However there are many belief on the origin of the universe. The scientific ones referring to God are low on the popularity list in cosmological circles.

Materialism is idiotic no matter what circles it infiltrates. To accept that inanimate forces and materials can build a working functioning universe is one of the most absurd notions that exists.

[What does eternity mean in the absense of time ?

As I already said, honestly I'm getting sick of trying to get someone to comprehend such a simple concept. I've thoroughly went over it in this thread. Eternity in the absence of time is a fixed state of existence because again, we need not bump into the infinite regress paradox. There is no paradox because time is only relevant to a starting point and an ending point. Remove those features and we have a stationary fixture. An infinite past is idiotic and makes no sense, it doesn't exist. 
Do you think that brain inside your skull can handle the distinction between eternal and temporal and time vs no time? please say yes, because I'm not going over it again.  I mean I get it, everyone here is completely familiar with their life in relation to time....it's all they know, birth and death, beginning and ending, we start here and we go there ect ect but trust me. I've thought about this more than anyone here, once you get it through your head that time is basically an illusion and nothing more than a measurement you'll go "ahhhh well hell, that makes perfect sense". 
Eternity has no relationship with space between two events, it has no association with linear time as we observe it. 

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@n8nrgmi
All we have is speculation, but i hate how we downplay, or some people do, our power.. imagination. Some things you said are pretty solid. In my eyes, how things started, or whatever, isn't the important thing here. It's the alien analogy that gets me. If life happened here, it has to have happened somewhere else, even if it's microscopic. But that's not important either, that's just an analogy to the biggest question, what is life. To me, consciousness being real in a seemingly infinite setting is the craziest thing. I know you say finite here and there and speculation... i think infinite is more logical, and it's only more logical bc you add consciousness to infinity.  That's how infinity works. That's how finite works. When you have consciousness. Best way to think of this is the infinite regress analogy/idea. How can you have our universe with infinite big bangs before it? Or just infinite time before it? Well... that is when time is linear. But consciousness adds a sense of entropy to that linear. It's not linear... how can our universe begin? Well bc a consciousness imagined it beginning. There is no linear time to deal with but rather a decision to have this reality. I think the most curious things, like an alien analogy, is an infinite platofrm with consciousness. If consciousness is real here... the implications to what consciousness could be combined with infinity is insane. Who are we? Our we the only manifestation of consciousness. Even if there is not god, there has to be an entire consciousness universe. Why can't particles arrange to create such an event? Why is our configuration the only config. It's not in my opinion, and i think infinity and consciousness should be the biggest speculation of possibilities. The biggest speculation of the infinite different ways reality can be bc consciousness has already imagined it. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Ramshutu
You didn’t offer any justification: simply blurting our what you think is true, is not a valid way to have an argument.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wasn't in an argument. However, none of my opinions are without justification, they are always well thought out whether or not you agree with them. I understand you don't like my opinion but I didn't need to give anything other than what I think is true because I was not arguing or debating it. You on the other hand didn't argue my premise, you just claimed they were assertions and gave your own opinion. Heck, I wasn't even addressing you to begin with. 

Pointing out that they are no more justified than any random nonsense you want to pull from your a$$, is perfectly valid.

I don't need to pull commonsense out of my azz, it sits comfortably in my mind thanks. 

I mean, I can assert

That's what people normally do when they present their opinion. 

that it is not possible for a fully formed intelligent being, with will and super powers to simply exist without cause

We can discuss this, and this would be easy for me to articulate why God exists without cause. But honestly you don't make for a very good conversation. You're a tad rigid to have any logical discourse about anything related to Theism. So what would be the point, even if I were right it wouldn't matter lol.

: and the demand that you have to demonstrate it’s possible by making such a thing occur, would not be reasonable, right?

Lets not get away from sensible. Asking you (or "asserting" it) to produce anything without your mind or knowledge involved is getting you to think about why my statement was not just an assertion but a logical example that demonstrates the premise. If you can't begin a process that produces a functioning product without any thought or mind behind it, how do inanimate elements do it? they don't because there is awareness behind every process both in our immediate experience as well as that which extends to the universe. 

Complexity can come from Simplicitly - we see it every day in nature with things like emergence.

I'm not sure you understand my position, I'm not denying each process rather I'm supporting them. I'm correlating process with awareness. Awareness is how each process indicates knowledge. 

Simple genetic algorithms use simple processes to build up staggeringly optimized solutions by unguided duplicating and pruning.

It is my premise that processes are associated with intelligence. 

Simple reinforcement processes can make a simple, stupid Neuron “learn“, connecting them together can make a them find patterns.

Learning indicates an awareness. 

RNA can form And self assemble, self replicate naturally.

I'm sure everything seems "natural" to you without an understanding that awareness is behind all processes to construct functioning products. 

So I’m terms of your question going from nothing to a fully formed intelligence is many, many steps over a long, long period of time.

Intelligence (awareness) was already there, it just needed to manipulate processes to create a simulation where we could develop forms where intelligence could use and embody. 

So far we can get from protons and elections, to stars, to planets, to chemistry.

Not without awareness, that's why they produce what appears to be products of such awareness. You're looking at it azz backwards....it is not the processes themselves which produce awareness, it is awareness that utilizes the process. 

We can get from planets and chemistry to simple self contained RNA in cells - if we have luck.

Lol, read above lucky duck. Ever wonder why the universe would create a planet? think about that...

Self replicating RNA in Protocells, to more complex cellular machinery in 500m years is a bit unclear. 

Again, perhaps you completely don't understand my premise. Reciting processes is making my point not countering it. I'm not arguing against them, I'm giving you the dynamics of why they occur. 

From single cells to multi-cells is known, from multi-cellular colonies, to small differentiation,  and then to larger differentiation is not well understood; to basic multicellularity is simple - and from there to multiple types of animals is also simple - and from simple animals to all life, just needs evolution and evo-devo.

I'm glad you fully understand a process, but when we get to how and why a process could occur you don't recognize the awareness involved. I fully understand our universe is like building blocks, God builds from literally the "ground" up, from energy to the elements to atomic structure there is a real process to create something from usable materials. There is an evolution in all things to bring about desired products. But the indication here is working processes, you can see the final outcome as products of intelligence. Just because they begin at microscopic levels doesn't mean there is no awareness, it is the intelligence of the Creator from start to finish. 

So breaking it down, not only explains why your demand is ridiculous -

I wasn't asking you to repeat the processes of the universe, I'm trying to get you to understand that they don't occur without intelligence and knowledge involved. It is nonsensical, inanimate materials have zero knowledge and awareness. Nothing happens without those two features. Certainly they don't construct a whole functioning universe, get a grip Ram. 

it also explains exactly why there are not that many vast and insurmountable  gaps between the high energy protons At the Big Bang; and you and I talking about it.

Imagine that... senseless energy, unaware protons, unconscious elements, inanimate forces creating a working universe with sensible, aware, conscious and animate beings so that you and I could sit here on computers and have a dialogue? well Jeezuz H Christ, ain't that some shyt? I guess we lucked out huh buddy? 

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
4 : Exactly. In fact, the claim that the universe started itself violates some of the laws of science. But atheists are quite willing to contradict science in order to keep God out of the picture.

Which laws of science does the claim that the universe started itself violate ?
Causality. Entropy. Life only from life.

71 It may be wrong, but that does not make believing otherwise irrational. Almost every creator is subject to some of the laws their creation is subject to, like the laws of mathematics and the laws of physics.
God is a singularity. He precedes, and is the source of,  all laws. Every other "creator" is composed of the same material as his creation, and is not the author of the natural laws governing his creation. God is unique that way. Believing God would be subject to laws He pre-existed and created IS irrational.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
So prior to the invention of the telescope, we could essentially only observe our own galaxy. If it was true that we knew of nothing that existed beyond our galaxy, would we have been correct to say that our galaxy is not an effect?
Three pieces to this first.

First is that it’s a terribly worded question. To say it’s “correct to say X” essentially means “X is true”. We’re not talking about what is true, we’re talking about what is most reasonable to believe and how we go about determining it.

Second, recall that the premise all of that was based on is that there exists an uncaused cause. That was your premise, I was simply showing you where your premise leads.

Third, is that this is a comparative statement. I wasn’t  assessing the strength of the conclusion, I was explaining why the universe having no cause is a stronger explanation than God being the uncaused chase.

So to the question, by switching “correct” with “reasonable” I would say no, it would not be reasonable to conclude that the universe was not an effect, just as it would not have been reasonable to conclude that the universe was an effect. We simply didn’t have enough information at that time to make any assessment at all.

You're going to have to explain how this works:
An uncaused cause is the product of time
Sure, let’s fix the emphasis and see if that clears things up:

Let me know if you have any questions.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Double_R
Second, recall that the premise all of that was based on is that there exists an uncaused cause. That was your premise, I was simply showing you where your premise leads.
No, you made an unreasonable assertion based on your own presuppositions, and then tried to force those presuppositions onto my argument.

Third, is that this is a comparative statement. I wasn’t assessing the strength of the conclusion, I was explaining why the universe having no cause is a stronger explanation than God being the uncaused chase.
I wasn't arguing that God is the uncaused cause. I was arguing that there is an uncaused cause. Once we establish whether or not there is an uncaused cause, then we can discuss what that cause is.

Sure, let’s fix the emphasis and see if that clears things up:

Let me know if you have any questions.
No, it doesn't because you need to address the fact that the cause is uncaused. That means that it isn't a product of anything. How can something that isn't produced by anything be a product?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Engage the narcissist.
Lovely goading Mr E.

But I still fail to see what any of this has to do with politics.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
I went to a lot of effort going through and explaining the specifics of how your original argument was wrong; why; and pointing out why your responses were irrational.

Could you please explain why you seem to have ignored my post almost in its entirety? 

I asked 10 specific questions about how your previous arguments lacked A basic justification.

Q11: Can you please explain to me why you skipped every single one of these questions without any explanation - and replied as if they didn’t exist.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
So I finally addressed the main point you were making about time, and you're going to ignore that? I already said that I was trying to come to an agreed upon definition of the Law of Causality and you didn't want to commit to that. If it becomes a problem with the time issue, we'll just have to go back to that. Do you want to get to the time issue or not?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
So just so I understand this right - it’s okay for you to ignore my entire post without explanation. If I ask you to specifically clarify why you ignore my entire post - that’s me evading your question?

Q11: Can you please explain to me why you skipped every single one of these questions without any explanation - and replied as if they didn’t exist.

Q12: Why do you think it’s okay to ignore someone’s entire post without explanation, and then imply they are evading when they question why you didn’t respond? 

Q13: establishing definitions only matters if the definition impacts the conclusion. Neither of your definitions appear to change my conclusion; on what basis did you feel the definition changed my conclusion?

Q14: You appear to be changing the definition of causality. Please explain how this impacts my original conclusion - and please explain why you feel this new definition doesn’t invalidate your original argument.

Q15: You have suggested that the definition of causality can be changed to include causes being concurrent with or after effects - do you think this definition is consistent with our intuitive understanding of how cause and effect works? Why?

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Most of your questions were highly repetitive and a waste of time. I summarized the whole issue by making it clear that I wanted to come to an agreed upon definition of the Law of Causality.

Q12: Why do you think it’s okay to ignore someone’s entire post without explanation, and then imply they are evading when they question why you didn’t respond? 
Because you were criticizing me for not answering your main point about causality and time. Then when I answered you about causality and time, you wanted to go back and talk about something else and not talk about causality and time.

Q13: establishing definitions only matters if the definition impacts the conclusion. Neither of your definitions appear to change my conclusion; on what basis did you feel the definition changed my conclusion?
Definitions always matter. And the definition of the Law of Causality seems relevant to a discussion about causality.

Q14: You appear to be changing the definition of causality. Please explain how this impacts my original conclusion - and please explain why you feel this new definition doesn’t invalidate your original argument.
How have I changed the definition of causality? I have been consistently using the same one. And again, I wanted to come to an agreed upon definition of the Law of Causality before continuing. But you don't want to do that so we'll go back to that if the need arises.

Q15: You have suggested that the definition of causality can be changed to include causes being concurrent with or after effects - do you think this definition is consistent with our intuitive understanding of how cause and effect works? Why?
Well that depends on your definition of the Law of Causality. I haven't changed mine to suggest this. Your definition seems to be different. As I have said repeatedly, definitions do in fact matter.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@EtrnlVw
@Outplayz
@zedvictor4
It's not in my opinion, and i think infinity and consciousness should be the biggest speculation of possibilities.

Op, our finite, occupied space Universe is niether macro-infinite nor micro infinite.

The biggest speculation of the infinite different ways reality can be bc consciousness has already imagined it. 
There is not infinite set of " diffferrent ways" ex there exist five and only five possible regular/symmetrical and convex, polyhedra of Universe.  That is a finite cosmic { inviolate } principle

There exists only two kinds of infinite;

1} the eternally existent, macro-infinite, truly non-occupied space, that, embraces/surrounds our eternally existent, finite, occupied space Universe, and,

2} the eternally existent Meta-space/Spirit-1, mind/intellect/concepts of infinite this, or that. Ex infinite set of numbers.  Lets say we could count every quanta of finite, occupied space Universe, we then have a finite resultant.  

"Eternity is to time,
as infinite is to space."  B Fuller

Cosmic Trinary Set aka ' U ' niverse/' G 'od

1} Meta-space/Spirit-1,

-----conceptual line-of-demarcation----

2} macro-infinite truly non-occupied space,

3} finite occupied space Universe/God.

Each of these above three have subcatagory of three;

....1a} absolute truth,

........1b} relative truth,

.............1c} false narrative.

.....2a} macro-infinite, non-occupied space has a inner shaped existence where it meet our occupied space Universe,

..........2b} no properties of charge, mass etc,

.............2c} allows for expansion-contraction of finite, occupied space Universe/God.

.....3a} fermions, bosons, and newly discovered hybrid quanta set, ---ergo observed {quantised-quantified } time reality sine-wave association /\/\/--

.............3b} ultra-micro Gravity (  ) ---positive shaped geodesic space---,

.................3c} ultra-micro Dark Energy )( ---negative shaped geodesic space-- .

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@EtrnlVw
He realizes he's been sounding quite bigoted towards theists lately so he's covering his ass as they say. Until literally like 3 days ago he's never said a goddamn thing about being a possible "deist". It's flat out dishonesty which is what he's here to call all the rest of us out on.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
The idea that computers that are  machines which do what we tell them to do could eventually develop artificial intelligence and become cognizant beings is totally believable. But, believe in the idea that the void that was nothingness could eventually develop intelligence and become a cognizant being makes someone a schizophrenic, moron, douchebag just shows the level that people will go to to make themselves feel like they're better than everyone else around them. It should be classified as a type of narcissism.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
No, you made an unreasonable assertion based on your own presuppositions, and then tried to force those presuppositions onto my argument.
You’ve been going back and forth with a few of us here, so I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you forgot your own argument. Let’s me remind you of it here (from post 93):

“So my claim is specifically that the universe is an effect, and must therefore have a cause. And to avoid infinite regress, there must be an uncaused cause where all effects stem from.”

So from here I took your assertion that there is an uncaused cause and showed you why, from that point, it would take less assumptions to presume that the uncaused cause is the universe as opposed to a god.

I wasn't arguing that God is the uncaused cause. I was arguing that there is an uncaused cause.
I apologize for going ahead, but everyone reading this thread knows you’re attempting to prove a god so there’s no need to pretend.

No, it doesn't because you need to address the fact that the cause is uncaused. That means that it isn't a product of anything. How can something that isn't produced by anything be a product?
I already explained this. Cause and effect are tied together by definition. You cannot call something a cause if there is no resulting effect. Putting the word “uncaused” in front of it changes nothing.

Whether the cause itself has a cause is a question looking backwards with the answer here being that there is no backwards. But when you call it a cause, that means there is a forwards. That requires time.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Double_R
So from here I took your assertion that there is an uncaused cause and showed you why, from that point, it would take less assumptions to presume that the uncaused cause is the universe as opposed to a god.
But you did so with the following presupposition:
We know of nothing beyond the universe that exists, so the conclusion requiring the least amount of assumptions is that the universe is not an effect.
That is an assumption based on philosophical naturalism. You then forced your naturalistic presupposition onto my argument by forcing me to accept that "we know of nothing beyond the universe that exists." I reject that presupposition.

I wasn't arguing that God is the uncaused cause. I was arguing that there is an uncaused cause.
I apologize for going ahead, but everyone reading this thread knows you’re attempting to prove a god so there’s no need to pretend.
It should be obvious that I believe the uncaused cause is the God of the Bible. But jumping to that conclusion just confuses the matter of discussing whether there is an uncaused cause at all. That was not a sincere apology, but I will accept it anyway.

I already explained this. Cause and effect are tied together by definition. You cannot call something a cause if there is no resulting effect. Putting the word “uncaused” in front of it changes nothing.
You stated that all causes are the product of time. Uncaused causes would then fall under the category of being a product of time. But the phrase "uncaused cause" is also tied together by definitions. I never said there was no resulting effect to an uncaused cause. But here is your claim then:
  • An uncaused cause is the product of time.
The question you haven't answered yet is this - how can something be a product of something else if it is unproduced ("uncaused")?

You either have to say an uncaused cause is not the product of time based on definitions, or there are no uncaused causes, only caused causes.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
That is an assumption based on philosophical naturalism. You then forced your naturalistic presupposition onto my argument by forcing me to accept that "we know of nothing beyond the universe that exists." I reject that presupposition.
It’s an assumption based on logic and reason, which brings us back to the beginning. Your evidence for god is nothing more than blind assertions and special pleading supporting the idea that there is a god, which is then used to claim that the uncaused cause is likely a god, which is then used to justify your blind assertions and why god gets a special set of rules (special pleading). It’s just one big circle.

Obviously you will disagree as I will with your disagreement, so we can at least agree on that.

The question you haven't answered yet is this - how can something be a product of something else if it is unproduced ("uncaused")?
If we we’re talking about an uncaused something, then, for the sake of argument here, it would not necessarily need to be a product of time.

But we’re not talking about an uncaused something, we’re talking about an uncaused cause. That by definition means an effect must follow.

I don’t understand what you are getting tripped up over here. If someone out of the blue asked you “what is the cause” and you don’t know what they’re talking about, your first question in response would be “cause of what?”. Because you cannot coherently answer the question without knowing what the alleged cause… caused.

If you still take issue with this then answer this question… can something be a cause without something else being an effect of it?
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Double_R
It’s an assumption based on logic and reason,
Yes, it is an assumption. That's my point. I have made no such assumptions as I will explain next.

which brings us back to the beginning. Your evidence for god is nothing more than blind assertions and special pleading supporting the idea that there is a god, which is then used to claim that the uncaused cause is likely a god, which is then used to justify your blind assertions and why god gets a special set of rules (special pleading). It’s just one big circle.
I don't know how many times I can say this to make it clear...

I am not making an assertion about God in this particular discussion.

At this point, such an assertion would also involve my own presuppositions, which is exactly why I haven't done so. I am only discussing the idea of an uncaused cause. But let me say one more time...

Perhaps if we can resolve the uncaused cause issue, we can discuss what that uncaused cause is. But until then...

If you still take issue with this then answer this question… can something be a cause without something else being an effect of it?
No, I have not disputed that a cause must produce an effect. I understand what you are saying about the time issue and definitions. This is your claim:
  • An uncaused cause is the product of time.
But that creates a dilemma. You are saying that every cause must be the product of time. But if the cause is uncaused, then it cannot, by definition, be the product of anything because it is not the result of anything - nothing has produced it.

If an uncaused cause cannot be the product of anything (including time), then how can an uncaused cause also be the product of time?

You either have to explain the dilemma based on your claim ("An uncaused cause is the product of time"), or you have to reject the possibility of there being an uncaused cause.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
When I say it’s a product of time I’m not saying that time itself created it. I’m saying it could only be the case within the framework of time.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Double_R
When I say it’s a product of time I’m not saying that time itself created it. I’m saying it could only be the case within the framework of time.

Two kinds of time:

1} Meta-space/Spirit-1 time i.e. mind/intellect/conceptulization of time via units of measure meters, feet and is used as quantification of observed time below,

2} Observed time is quantisation  of occupied space ergo,  existence as  physical reality/energy { Spirit-2 } is associated with topology of the sine-wave patterning /\/\/.

Ultra-micro Gravity (  ) { Spirit-3 }  is has not been quantised nor quantified.

Ultra-micro Dark Energy )( { Spirit-4 }  has not be quantised nor quantified.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Most of your questions were highly repetitive and a waste of time. I summarized the whole issue by making it clear that I wanted to come to an agreed upon definition of the Law of Causality.

Cool. I will start doing that. I will just chop our 95% of what you say, don’t link back to your argument; and when called out I will just assert that if was repetitive, a waste of my time and I summarized things

You absolutely did not summarize my post in any way shape or form; in fact you did not reference anything I said in my last post, other than half answering one question.

Do you honestly think this is a valid or intelligent way of having a discussion?

You don’t need to quote every word, or address every line - but you literally ignored every point raised : and nothing you said bore any direct relation to anything in that post; just ignoring everything someone says is cretinously dishonest, and indicative of someone who has no capacity to make an intelligent argument.

Because you were criticizing me for not answering your main point about causality and time. Then when I answered you about causality and time, you wanted to go back and talk about something else and not talk about causality and time.

I was actually criticizing you for making no effort in trying to match your objection against the argument I am making.

Most of your post was highly repetitive and a waste of time. I summarized the whole issue by making it clear that I wanted you to address my argument.. that’s ok, that’s all I have to do right?

I don’t want to go back and “talk about something else”, I simply want you to not ignore an entire post someone makes; I made a whole number of key points, and argument restatements that are critical - because I’m going to now have to restate them for maybe the 6th time as you keep ignoring them  ..

My main point is absolutely not about causality and time: it’s about what conclusions we can draw from our intuitions. And you not understanding what my argument is, is exactly why I object to you systematically ignoring it.

Definitions always matter. And the definition of the Law of Causality seems relevant to a discussion about causality.

It only matters if it impacts the conclusion. If whatever definition you want to supply still works - then arguing about the definition is a red herring.

As I pointed out: the definition you’ve used throughout doesn’t impact anything. It still doesn’t really

You have made no attempt to show how the argument is impacted - you’re just saying it is - just objecting to something because you can object...

How have I changed the definition of causality? I have been consistently using the same one. And again, I wanted to come to an agreed upon definition of the Law of Causality before continuing. But you don't want to do that so we'll go back to that if the need arises.

I was pretty clear what I meant by causality from the start; cause and effect coupled in time. Arguing that time is not part of causality is brand new: and something you should have said at the start, no? Rather than simply springing it after a half dozen posts and pretending that this is what you meant the whole time.

Your characterization here is comprehensively false.

Well that depends on your definition of the Law of Causality. I haven't changed mine to suggest this. Your definition seems to be different. As I have said repeatedly, definitions do in fact matter.

I’ve been fairly clear throughout: you completely ignored it: Your definition doesn’t match what we observe, or how we understand causality.

What we intuit and observe about causality requires time; and does not make sense without it. Time travel does not lead to a causality that makes sense - including things like paradoxes; and still involve linear causality (effects always occurs in a causes local future - but not necessarily a global future).

But your overt fixation with definitions is missing the point - as should have been clear in the post you ignored.

The central point is that no possible solution for the universe matches our understanding of how things work; so we cannot deduce a solution using our current understanding.

If we change our understanding of how things work: we have no basis for assessing the validity of what we come up with - so we can draw no probability.

This whole weird definition side track demonstrates my point.

In order to conclude the universe was created; you have to define causality as non temporal. If you do that; all other options are now just as reasonable.

You would be aware of this had you read my argument or had you actually tried to show how changes in definitions impacted my argument - it would also have shown that applying it to your own argument undermines your conclusion.

This is why I’m calling you out for constantly ignoring me. My argument doesn’t functionally rely on causality actually being one way or another; something you have yet to wrap your head round; only that it must not follow the rules as we observe or perceive them - and if doesn’t: we have no basis upon which to speculate: in both cases the original conclusion you made - is false.

It’s that link back to my argument - and your argument you keep ignoring. It’s not clear how any of your objections link to what we said; thus it appears you’re just trying to find an objection - any objection : Picking peanuts out of poop.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Cool. I will start doing that. I will just chop our 95% of what you say, don’t link back to your argument; and when called out I will just assert that if was repetitive, a waste of my time and I summarized things
Cool! This should be fun!

Do you honestly think this is a valid or intelligent way of having a discussion?
No. There has been a lot of repetitive rambling from one side that could easily be mistaken for whining.

The central point is that no possible solution for the universe matches our understanding of how things work;
I will take this as an admission that your understanding of how things work is in error because it doesn't match reality.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Double_R
So to be clear, an uncaused cause would not be a product of time then?
Amoranemix
Amoranemix
-->
@EtrnlVw
@Tradesecret
@n8nrgmi
@Fruit_Inspector
@949havoc
I'm trying to figure out what age of anything has to do with jump-starting the universe, or that it did it itself. Who really needs to tie age to it? It happened when it happened whether yesterday, this morning,   or billions of years ago, or more.

But I'll debunk the self-start theory for the same reason as the fallacy of ex nihilo; nothing from nothing.
Great. When do you plan on doing that ?

Tradesecret 88 to Ramshutu :
The position was put. You did not like how it boxed you in. You changed the assumptions - to contain your own conclusions. 
You made me smile - mainly because you rationalized it so quickly without actually realizing what you were doing.
You seem to fall in the category of people who don't have a case and know it. Some of those prefer not to engage in an intellectual debate they can only lose and in stead gloat over their imagined victory.

Before. Implies time prior go an event
EtrnlVw 90 :
No, you are conflating time with existence. Existence does not rely on time, time relies on events even though events occur within existence. There must be a succession before time can be measured. A fixed reality has no succession of events. You're getting shit mixed up here, surely before I begin any event there was "time" before it...that's because I exist within a frame structure that occurred before me. I'm talking about before creation, before events unfolded. You do understand what fixed means right?
How can there be a before without time ?
Maybe this is your reasoning : imageine a first event. There is no time yet because that require two non-simultenous events. Later there is a second event. Now there is time. So time only begins at the second event and yet the first event happened before it.
Is that indeed your reasoning ?

Fruit_Inspector 93 to Double_R :
So my claim is specifically that the universe is an effect, and must therefore have a cause. And to avoid infinite regress, there must be an uncaused cause where all effects stem from. For the sake of this topic, we need not complicate the matter by determining what that cause is (God or some other eternal entity).
Why must we avoid infinite regress ?
Why should that cause be an eternal entity ?

You claim the universe could not possibly be eternal but God is.
Not solely based on some some arbitrary preclusion. I do not believe the universe is eternal mainly because of the Laws of Thermodynamics, which do not apply to God. So this is not an accurate comparison.
Assuming the laws of thermodynamics, why could the universe not be eternal ?

Ramshutu 94 to Fruit_Inspector :
IE: does the universe exist at all points of time, or not.
If it does - discussion of cause, or creation, etc, is meaningless because it’s not possible to have the cause preceding effect with no time reference.
Requiring a cause to precede its effect is useful in ordinary circumstances, but seem unnecessarily limiting in discussions about the nature of reality. In order to discuss 'causes' that do not precede the effect one would then need to agree on a new word for them. Maybe origin would do. It would make Fruit_Inspector's list of possibilities longer.

n8nrgmi 100 to Double_R & Ramshutu
[ . . . ] while i agree, my only quibble with that, is that i think we can have some potential answers to origins that makes more sense than others.... and the common atheistic answers make less sense, scientifically.
They make less sense than what and to who ?

EtrnlVw 90 to n8nrgmi :
Inanimate forces can't produce intelligent outcomes, inanimate materials can't begin to build things into existence as if they had knowledge.[7] That is ridiculous. It requires intelligence, mind and forethought to know and understand how to produce functioning and working results....a desired product.
[7] What evidence can you present to support that claim ?

How does option 2 violate reason ?
That something can come from nothing is impossible.[8] Nor can the universe cannot be self-created as that would require the universe to exist before it existed.[9]
Option 2 is the universe coming from nothing or being self-created.
[8] The problem is that 'nothing' and 'coming from' are vague.
What is nothing ? Presumably the laws of logic necessarily exist, which would imply that nothing cannot exist and thus the universe cannot come from it. Unless … Can it be said the laws of logic exist if nothing else exist ?
Coming from seems to imply the existence time. Again that's not nothing.
So if you are strict enough then it would indeed seem that something cannot come from nothing. However, giving that you call the cause of the universe an entity, you are very lenient, suggesting that that nothing can be a lot of things.
Please explain why something cannot come from nothing.
[9] Have you considered the possibility of a time loop ?

I ask because if time has a beginning, then it seems that time coming into existence must be a product of time. So if you believe time has a beginning, you have the same problem I do and you should reject the idea of time having a beginning.
You know too little about the topic to make such a claim. Experts think that time can have a beginning. See for example en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartle–Hawking_state. FLRW talks about that hypothesis in post 86.
This comment was bringing Double_R's claim to it's logical conclusion. I reject his reasoning that every cause is the product of time.
You reasoned as follows :

A. Time has a beginning.
P1. If time has a beginning, then time coming into existence is a product of time.
C. Therefore, time cannot have a beginning.

Can you demonstrate P1 ?

Fruit_Inspector 123 to Ramshutu :
Well it seems reasonable to want to have an agreed upon definition of the Law of Causality rather than just saying it doesn't matter. You have said that the idea of an uncaused cause is possible, but it violates our notions of causality. You are assuming what "our notions of causality" are, while dismissing an attempt to try to come to a fundamental point of agreement. But let's look at the time issue to avoid more of your rambling.

You stated than an uncaused cause is possible. Now an uncaused cause would have to be self-existent, not requiring anything else for it's existence. This entity, whatever it may be, does not require time to exist. The possibility of an entity that can exist without time must be factored into this discussion. Specifically, can a timeless entity cause time to come into existence without time previously existing?[4]
I was going to ask why that uncaused cause would be an entity, but apparently an entity is also 'something that has a real existence; thing' according to www.dictionary.com. Thus initial conditions would qualify.
[4] Almost everything in the universe is timeless, meaning it does not require time to exist.
What does it mean for time to come into existence if time already exists ?
The no boundary proposal seems to fit your description. If it is true then the answer would be yes.

I assume you mean that the sequence of causes must have begun. Why is that ?
EtrnlVw 125 :
On a logical note an infinite past is not possible no matter how you look it, you can't have two linear ends that never reach a destination.[5] I think everyone probably knows this, they just haven't thought it through enough to agree with it. I've settled the dispute with a fixed reality, where movement (creation) appears on top of that eternal framework.
[beliefs about the nature of reality]
The atheist doesn't seem to understand that we have two natures of reality...we call one eternal and the other temporal. Eternity is fixed, but temporal is dependent upon the beginning of an event and the end of the event. Basically time only appears where we have a succession of events that occur where we can measure the distance between them but there is no succession of events in eternity and so there is no time that can be measured, there is no beginning point and ending point. As I said it is a fixed Reality.[6]
[beliefs about the motives of atheists]
[5] That seems like a poor analogy as it contains ends.
[6] Here with eternity you seem to mean the absense of time.
If I understand correctly, your reasoning is the following : if your beliefs are true, then there was a beginning of the universe and time. Thus a sequence of  events towards the past cannot infinite. So, unlike some Christians sometimes claim, there is no principled problem against an infinite past sequence. The problem is merely a practical one : there is insufficient time for such series.
Hence, a past-infinite cyclic universe is possible.

EtrnlVw 82 :
The BB represents the beginning of time, cause and effect. What precedes that has no relation to time, cause and effect. I'm positing that God precedes the BB.
Precedence requires time. If the universe exists for T >= 0 and there is no T < 0 then God cannot precedede the universe.[a]
The reasoning you both arguing about assumes a universal time. I suspect though time was close enough to universal around the time of the Big Bang.[b]
EtrnlVw 125 :
[a] If the "universe" is eternal it is only because God is eternal. That being said when I refer to a beginning I'm referring to creation....events that occurred after the BB. Creation is the processes God manifests to bring things into existence.
[b] Time began at the BB, this is where we observe an expansion, this is where we begin to observe events taking place. Prior to this, it was a fixed reality where there was no sequence of events. Again, eternity is not an infinite past and future it is a static fixed state of existence. In other words there is no recollection of birth and death and so there is no relation to something that began and something that will end. Linear time is non-existent.
[a] OK. Those are your beliefs that you are so kind to share.
[b] That fixed reality could not have been prior to the BB if that is when time started. For the same reason as I explained for precedence, there is no prior to the beginning of time.
You could call time = 0 only at the second event, in which case there could be a before, but what do you call that distance between the first and second event ?

EtrnlVw 82 to Ramshutu :
The products within the universe have NOT always existed. We know that the products within the universe had a beginning, will have an ending. These are the things we refer to as being "created", we can observe those processes, we correlate those processes with intelligence.[3] If you claim that the universe existed before the BB I'd be fine with that, because it's irrelevant to that which begins within that universe. If you claim the universe began at the BB, I'm fine with that too and then your claim it has always existed doesn't work.[4] Either way, I'm associating time and cause and effect with the products WITHIN our universe after the BB, the processes involved are how we measure time.
[3] Who is the we that correlates these processes with intelligence ? I don't correlate the creation of gamma ray burst, white dwarf stars and tau neutrinos with intelligence.
[4] Why is that ?
EtrnlVw 125 :
[3] Processes that reach a desired outcome for a desired product indicate knowledge. This is about as simple of a commonsense observation one can make.
[4] I like things that align with commonsense logic?
[3] What evidence can you present that gamma ray burst, white dwars stars and tau neutrinos are a desired outcome for a desired product ?
[4] If I understand correctly, your argument is the following :

A. The universe started at the Big Bang.
P1. EtrnlVw likes things that align with common sense logic.
P2. If the universe started at the Big Bang and EtrnlVw likes things that align with common sense logic, then the claim that the universe has always existed doesn't work.
C. Therefore, the claim that the universe has always existend doesn't work.

Is that indeed your argument ?

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Amoranemix
I don't know if anyone else has said this, but you may want to consider breaking up your responses as individual posts to those particular users.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
You appear to have ignored my entire argument. 

Please allow me to repeat what I said: it’s important as it refuted everything you said.

I don’t want to go back and “talk about something else”, I simply want you to not ignore an entire post someone makes; I made a whole number of key points, and argument restatements that are critical - because I’m going to now have to restate them for maybe the 6th time as you keep ignoring them  ..

My main point is absolutely not about causality and time: it’s about what conclusions we can draw from our intuitions. And you not understanding what my argument is, is exactly why I object to you systematically ignoring it.

It only matters if it impacts the conclusion. If whatever definition you want to supply still works - then arguing about the definition is a red herring.

As I pointed out: the definition you’ve used throughout doesn’t impact anything. It still doesn’t really

You have made no attempt to show how the argument is impacted - you’re just saying it is - just objecting to something because you can object...

I was pretty clear what I meant by causality from the start; cause and effect coupled in time. Arguing that time is not part of causality is brand new: and something you should have said at the start, no? Rather than simply springing it after a half dozen posts and pretending that this is what you meant the whole time.

Your characterization here is comprehensively false.

I’ve been fairly clear throughout: you completely ignored it: Your definition doesn’t match what we observe, or how we understand causality.

What we intuit and observe about causality requires time; and does not make sense without it. Time travel does not lead to a causality that makes sense - including things like paradoxes; and still involve linear causality (effects always occurs in a causes local future - but not necessarily a global future).

But your overt fixation with definitions is missing the point - as should have been clear in the post you ignored.

The central point is that no possible solution for the universe matches our understanding of how things work; so we cannot deduce a solution using our current understanding.

If we change our understanding of how things work: we have no basis for assessing the validity of what we come up with - so we can draw no probability.

This whole weird definition side track demonstrates my point.

In order to conclude the universe was created; you have to define causality as non temporal. If you do that; all other options are now just as reasonable.

You would be aware of this had you read my argument or had you actually tried to show how changes in definitions impacted my argument - it would also have shown that applying it to your own argument undermines your conclusion.

This is why I’m calling you out for constantly ignoring me. My argument doesn’t functionally rely on causality actually being one way or another; something you have yet to wrap your head round; only that it must not follow the rules as we observe or perceive them - and if doesn’t: we have no basis upon which to speculate: in both cases the original conclusion you made - is false.

It’s that link back to my argument - and your argument you keep ignoring. It’s not clear how any of your objections link to what we said; thus it appears you’re just trying to find an objection - any objection : Picking peanuts out of poop.

Systematically ignoring everything someone said a pretty clear evidence to everyone that you have conceded the point.