Race Realism is not an attack on dignity

Author: TheMorningsStar

Total: 84
TheMorningsStar
Debates: 0
TheMorningsStar
-->
@RationalMadman
Are you saying only that the scientific findings shouldn't be taboo or are you saying that stratifying society based on those findings shouldn't be taboo?
I am saying the findings should not be taboo.
Everyone should be judged as an individual, not as part of any group.

The findings usefulness comes in when you look at outcomes as a way of trying to determine opportunity (which many on the left do), nothing more.
There should be equality of opportunity for all people regardless of race.
The nature components will simply mean that we shouldn't be surprised that more people in athletic programs are African, or more people that get into Harvard are Southeast Asian (if they stopped their racist policy of only accepting a certain number), etc.
We shouldn't implement policies to try and change this, to make it more 'equitable' as doing such necessarily ruins a fair equality of opportunity.

Of course, this doesn't mean, for example, that you should only accept Africans into athletics, as many non-Africans can, due to nurture components, meet the criteria as well. Only that outcomes not matching population isn't something to worry about.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@RationalMadman
Can you give me examples of observations within 'race realism' and proponents of it that aren't racist?

One thing I have an issue with is that it's called 'race realism' as opposed to 'ethnic observations'. The reason I have an issue with 'race' as opposed to 'ethnic' is that you are pooling everyone of the same race into one category, that always will lead to irrational racism that ignores environmental causes for common traits. On the other hand, the reason I have an issue with 'realism' is that it is not only arrogant but doesn't make clear what the thing is. If it's just observations, there'd be no reason to need to call it that unless you were some edgy racist trying to prove a society wrong that loathed racism.
I guess it just depends on the definition of racism. I don't think there's anything inherently racist about acknowledging that genes probably aren't distributed evenly among every single group. That idea just doesn't make sense. So we would obviously expect SOME differences... this kind of thing can spill into racism incredibly quickly though, yeah
thett3
thett3
-->
@Ramshutu
At this time, “race realism” as its currently presented by multiple individuals and organizations is primarily a pseudoscientific (and above I broadly explain the why) attempt to justify those groups own prejudice, rather than an honest attempt to determine what aspects of our genes and environment are responsible for our ability to succeed; and how do they differ between different groups. 

As I kinda said at the end; the issue with me specifically is not that such actual differences are impossible, or should not be discussed; but that those who promote this form of race realism aren’t actually doing that.

Or in other words; those who are advancing “race realism”, are trying to piss on people’s heads and tell them it’s raining,

Explicitly objecting to that approach, and explicitly calling them out in it does not imply or suggest that I am adverse to talking meteorology, or trying to argue rain cannot exist.
Fair enough, so humor me a bit. An average Han Chinese person and a Zulu person look very different. The null hypothesis should obviously be that adaption didn't stop with differences in phenotype, and would extend to physical and cognitive abilities as well. Do you believe this, and if not why not?
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@thett3
@TheMorningsStar
Yeah, alright, I'm skeptical about your awareness of context in most scenarios regarding race realism but it appears you and I agree then.

The answer to your thread is that on its own the findings used don't necessarily hurt the dignity of any race. However, the context it's raised in and agenda that is attached to a huge proportion of the findings are so severely harmful to cohesion between diverse cultures and races in a society that it's better left for rare occasions, such as perhaps a civil discussion in a thread like this.

The real reply to you is that firstly race isn't a social construct, ethnicities are and secondly that 'race realism' is using science that on its own shouldn't be deemed racist, I agree with you, however is used that way over 96% of the time I'd say and the severity of where it can lead... I don't think I need to list the historic examples. Sure the phrase 'race realism' didn't exist during atrocities of the past but what it actually refers to is less about science and far more about abusing anything you can dub as scientific or statistical in order to masquerade a racial supremacist agenda (for Mesmer's sake I specified this, as opposed to just saying 'racist').

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@thett3
would extend to physical and cognitive abilities as well
first, if both are true, what does that mean in extension?

second, I totally understand what you mean here and yes the alternative hypothesis will prove true in a variety of metrics but 'cognitive' is far too vague. 

third, in anyone beyond infant level, environment is a factor you can't neglect to account for.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@RationalMadman

I've told you before that we are soul brothers.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@RationalMadman
 race isn't a social construct... 'race realism' is using science that on its own shouldn't be deemed racist
That is all I really wanted from this thread.
Mostly because I am tired of so many people taking on Social Constructivism so universally and treating anyone that doesn't as a bigot.
The idea that there isn't a genuine component to race, gender, etc. is just mind boggling to me, yet I see so many people act as if it is obvious that they are 100% socially constructed.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@thett3
You can tell that many liberals secretly believe that race realism/human biodiversity is real because they form a taboo around discussing the issue. Taboos and euphemisms typically form not because people are convinced of their positions, but because they are afraid of/ashamed of their own true beliefs which are not the beliefs they publicly proclaim.
Or… many of us are just tired of arguing with people who are disingenuous and just trying to use us to give themselves a platform to spread their racist ideology.

As has been pointed out many times already in this thread, the issue is not that race realism is invalid as a concept, the problem is that there is no meaningful application for it other than to justify deliberately  maintaining racial inequities under the guise of scientific legitimacy.
thett3
thett3
-->
@Double_R
the problem is that there is no meaningful application for it other than to justify deliberately  maintaining racial inequities under the guise of scientific legitimacy.
There’s always a useful application for truth. If it’s true that traits are not evenly distributed between groups than inequality between groups is not racist. The question then becomes how much is genetic, how much is cultural, how much is environmental…which is above my pay grade. But it shouldn’t be above the pay grade of the people making policy
FLRW
FLRW
Recent advances in brain research have provided great insight into how the brain,
the most immature of all organs at birth, continues to grow and develop after birth.
Whereas this growth had been thought to be determined primarily by genetics, scientists now
believe that it is also highly dependent upon the child’s experiences. Research shows that, like protein, fat,
and vitamins, interactions with other people and objects are vital nutrients for the growing and developing brain,
and different experiences can cause the brain to develop in different ways. It is this "plasticity" of the brain, its
ability to develop and change in response to the demands of the environment, that will enable this person to learn
how to use computers as successfully as his ancestors learned how to hunt animals in the wild.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@FLRW
Some hunted better than others, even with identical general environment in upbringing some were better hunters than others.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@thett3
There’s always a useful application for truth. If it’s true that traits are not evenly distributed between groups than inequality between groups is not racist.
Which is exactly why race realism is an attractive topic for every racist. How nice to not have to bother thinking about our history and it’s lasting effects on our society when you can just deem the minority race to be inferior, blame it all on Mother Nature and then call it a day.

Not every truth is relevant, it depends on what we’re trying to accomplish. If the goal is to live in a society that treats everyone equally, recognizing genetic differences among subgroups of the population serves no purpose. If however, the goal is to drown out any discussion of how we got to where we are, then this becomes very relevant.

But beyond that, the problem is that there is no reason whatsoever to believe genetic differences in racial groups would ever be different enough to account for any significant portion of racial inequality. There’s no race gene, and there’s no practical way to separate ones genetics from the impact society has each individual based on what they look like. The “science” on this will always be flawed, so it will always come down to what your personal biases make out of it.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
Fair enough, so humor me a bit. An average Han Chinese person and a Zulu person look very different. The null hypothesis should obviously be that adaption didn't stop with differences in phenotype, and would extend to physical and cognitive abilities as well. Do you believe this, and if not why not?

There's so much dna mixing  that it's really hard even to find a pure race today. Almost everyone in the modern world is a mutt to varying degrees.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
And even if the bearing straight divide was 13,000 years ago, it takes way longer for natural selection to make meaningful changes.

Natural selection eliminated most of the Native Americans anyway.
thett3
thett3
-->
@Double_R

But beyond that, the problem is that there is no reason whatsoever to believe genetic differences in racial groups would ever be different enough to account for any significant portion of racial inequality. There’s no race gene, and there’s no practical way to separate ones genetics from the impact society has each individual based on what they look like. The “science” on this will always be flawed, so it will always come down to what your personal biases make out of it.
No, the science is objective and could probably be determined within the next decade or so, if it hasn't already, as the human genome continues to be studied. The genes which correlate with all kinds of abilities are already being discovered and we will know very soon what the distribution patterns of these genes are like...if people are allowed to study it and share the results.

The bolded part is just a bare assertion. It very well could. In fact, the null hypothesis should be that it does, because there is no reason to assume that adaptation resulting in phenotypical differences stopped at the brain.

The best arguments against race realism come from science, for example, the fact that owing to some severe population bottlenecks our ancestors went through in the distant past, through which only around 1% of them emerged, humans are not all that genetically diverse.  I truly don't know what can or can't be attributed to genetics but dismissing the subject out of hand is ludicrous. I'm gonna hold firm in my position that at least some of the disparities between racial groups is due to genetics, and some is due to environment, and I can be convinced about how important each are.

I really hate the emotional shutting down of the subject, especially when it means that all disparity gets blamed on my group. If we have to have a "conversation about race" everything needs to be on the table. If not, I'm happy to shut up about it provided the left does too, but I'm not unilaterally disarming.
thett3
thett3
-->
@Greyparrot
There's so much dna mixing  that it's really hard even to find a pure race today. Almost everyone in the modern world is a mutt to varying degrees.
What we consider to be "race" is socially constructed, but traits aren't evenly distributed among each group. This is a problem that should only exist for policymakers...normal people can just treat everyone they meet as individuals. There's enough variation that you can easily just do that, which is what all normal people do
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
What we consider to be "race" is socially constructed, but traits aren't evenly distributed among each group. This is a problem that should only exist for policymakers...normal people can just treat everyone they meet as individuals. There's enough variation that you can easily just do that, which is what all normal people do

I'm just pointing out that even in the circumstances like the bearing strait split 13,000 years ago that any possible meaningful differences are quickly nullified by natural selection as people from all over mix.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Ramshutu
So let’s start out with addressing something important; the people suggesting race realism, often put forth pseudoscience implying that some small correlations are indicative of causation for things like this.

Right now; there’s is no indication whatsoever that race is even a substantial component in determining what your ultimate IQ is; and yet a lot of individuals are still making that argument and pretending as if these claims are somehow rooted in science.

Regardless of what any biological component of IQ ends up being; this form of argument, built on this type of premise is still clearly unreasonable. Which was my point.
There is very limited research into this area. However, the little bit that is available doesn't point to an egalitarian conclusion. While an imperfect study, the Minnesota adoption study is one example of such a study.

Furthermore, different races are different in many ways that we know:
      Blood transfusions between different races can cause issues: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/well/live/blood-type-race-racial.html

Same with organ transplants: "Although organ transplant candidates are not matched based on race or ethnicity and people of different ethnicities often match one another, transplant matches made within ethnic groups can be even more compatible and successful" https://www.donoralliance.org/newsroom/donation-essentials/multicultural-groups-and-donation-does-race-matter-in-organ-transplants/

Different races also have different average cranial capacities: "(Blacks) average cranial capacities of 1267 cm3, European-descended people (Whites) 1347 cm3, and East Asian-descended people (East Asians) 1364 cm3" https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222683780_Brain_size_IQ_and_racial-group_differences_Evidence_from_musculoskeletal_traits

So I think that your characterization of race realism doesn't afford the leniency that it should. Perhaps some people in this thread give the idea more credit than it deserves or make conclusions that haven't been proven enough yet, but my position is that the available science does support racial differences in IQ.  We should look into it further to investigate how much is biological and how much is environmental. That would give us a meaningful metric by which to determine causes of disparities and if they can be fixed/how they should be fixed.

Now; if it turns out that due to immutable biological factors of a given race, some policy can’t work - I think that’s a good reason not to have that policy: but there are so many impractical ifs implicitly involved. For example; there would have to be an implicit genetic issue that is determinative of IQ: rather than giving a predisposition towards IQ - it must be immutable, in that a given intelligence cannot be attained by changing environmental factors; it must be determinable - so one doesn’t simply assume that an underachiever is underachieving because they have the wrong genetic disposition, as opposed to other environmental factors.
I would argue that even if it is a pre-disposition rather than a determinant, my stance really wouldn't change a large amount. A pre-disposition would still suggest that, if you expose the same amount of kids of different races to the exact same environment, you would still have the highest amount of smart East Asian kids, then White, then Hispanic, then Black. Based on the cranial capacity information, it would seem that there is at least some inherent, immutable limitation.

But from there, the question would be by how much can that pre-disposition be overcome and then do a cost-benefit calculation based on that. Because to even come close to reaching an equal outcome among groups, you would have to invest insane amounts of money to close disparities.

The final issue is that various “success” indicators and IQ being fundamentally linked is one example of assuming correlation is causation. While I could probably buy into the claim that no amount of training or learning will make me the next Einstein; and that levels of IQ has an impact on profession and thus earnings; but I don’t think it’s even close to a given that there is a causal link between IQ and things such as criminality, etc, as opposed to sharing broad correlating environmental factors.
But if lower IQ leads to worse life outcomes (less money) and leads to worse decision-making, wouldn't we expect more criminality, more single motherhood, less saving, etc?

I will not make the argument that IQ is the sole cause of criminality. But, I think it is a significant factor, and it is one that is largely influenced by genetics (between individuals, genetics are determined to be about 50% of the cause of intelligence) https://medlineplus.gov/genetics/understanding/traits/intelligence/#:~:text=These%20studies%20suggest%20that%20genetic,difference%20in%20intelligence%20among%20individuals.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Double_R
Which is exactly why race realism is an attractive topic for every racist. How nice to not have to bother thinking about our history and it’s lasting effects on our society when you can just deem the minority race to be inferior, blame it all on Mother Nature and then call it a day.
And that is exactly why the topic is bashed by the people who have so much to gain by it not being studied.

How nice to not have to bother studying science and its permanent effects on human outcomes when you can just blame it all on White people for being evil and then call it a day?

If we find out that Whitey isn't the cause of disparities, those checks, the ability to guilt people into giving donations/positions of power, and preferential hiring might go away!
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@Ramshutu
Yeah dude.

55 IQ is functionally the same as 140 IQ.

Saying otherwise is a real "tenuous association" with "limited correlation".

Nice dude.
This doesn’t appear to be an argument.
The fact that you don't think an argument, which was made with the implications of your argument, doesn't count as an argument, is quite amusing LOL.

You've unwittingly conceded, so thanks.

Let’s ignore the name calling, for a moment let’s broadly explain the fundamental issue with your belief.
It's just an accurate label of what you do.

You bs people with sophistry. You're an anti-white shitlib looking to go into semantic funhouses to distract from real arguments.

This is what you always do, and you're about to do it again here.

The presumption that differences between races is solely down to hereditable factors
No race realist argues this and I certainly didn't argue this -- horrible strawman you're making here.

Obviously, the environment and genetics play roles in making humans. The debate is to what degree.

You're too busy sniffing your own farts to understand the arguments of the other side.

you have to be able determine the genes that account for intelligence and how much - which we can’t
No, we don't need to 'find the genes' to make a hereditarian case for intelligence.

If biology had to 'find the genes' to make any claim, we would not be able to determine biological difference between humans, spiders, dolphins, anteaters etc. According to your logic, they would all be the same species because we couldn't 'find the genes' to explain all differences. Your standard is stupid, shows you don't understand how the field of biology works at all, and all leads to pants-on-head retarded conclusions.

I'd argue that intelligence is about 80% hereditary: Why 80 Percent? - altCensored . 

to be able to understand the impact of environment on intelligence, what environmental impacts and effects prevent or promote intelligence (so we can correct IQ for environmental factors)
This had already been done; they are called 'g loaded' tests wherein the environmental impacts that are not testing for intelligence (such as pre-learned concepts) aren't being tested for. This is just you never reading anything to the contrary of your position.

Furthermore, IQ is about 20% determined by the environment, so having environmental factors (such as conducting the test in a safe, quiet environment) should be part of the test. No one I've ever seen has argued that intelligence is 100% hereditary. You're arguing against people who don't exist, probably because you don't understand what you are talking about, and instead are typing to fuel your own ego with flowery sentences.

to be able to assess the broad distribution of these genes across racial groups to determine whether there is an actual disadvantage - which we haven’t.
We have.

They're called IQ tests.

The reality is that the interaction between environment, genetics and intelligence are so complex and difficult to disentangle that it is impossible to validly assert exactly what the true impact of genetics actually is; such that the conclusion that the only valid correlating factor is race is simply an attempt assert ones own prejudice is justified; especially given that we do know there can be a massive impact on intelligence from various environmental factors. 
It's not so complex lol.

You run a g loaded IQ test that controls for cultural bias.

You should actually read counterarguments to your position instead of mangling everything with sophistry and worthless strawmen.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@thett3
No, the science is objective and could probably be determined within the next decade or so
 Then why would we have the conversation now?

The bolded part is just a bare assertion. It very well could.
The bolder part began with “there is no reason to believe”. That’s not an assertion of what anything could or could not be. You are responding to statements I never made.

there is no reason to assume that adaptation resulting in phenotypical differences stopped at the brain.
Nor have I argued that they would. The question isn’t whether there is any difference, the question is whether those differences are large enough to play any  significant role in the results we see.

And once we answer that question… so what? What policy difference would that possibly make? Are we going to declare one race to be inferior to the others and base policy around that idea, perhaps to give the inferior race an advantage to make up the difference?

That’s obviously an absurd proposition, which is kind of the entire point. The only path this conversation goes down is to excuse our history and blame all of our inequalities in on Mother Nature. So when someone who refuses to acknowledge that history wants to go down this path instead while proclaiming they’re not racist, that just wreaks of disingenuousness.

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@bmdrocks21
And that is exactly why the topic is bashed by the people who have so much to gain by it not being studied.
At no point have I argued or suggested that it shouldn’t be studied. The topic of this thread is about why many people don’t want to discuss it. That’s a question about our political discourse, not science.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
The only path this conversation goes down is to excuse our history and blame all of our inequalities in on Mother Nature. 

We have an existing policy for this. The ADA.
thett3
thett3
-->
@Double_R
And once we answer that question… so what? What policy difference would that possibly make? Are we going to declare one race to be inferior to the others and base policy around that idea, perhaps to give the inferior race an advantage to make up the difference?
I can give you a policy example right now. If the reason that black students are underrepresented in students with high grades and high test scores, and Asian students are over represented, is not because of oppression affirmative action is not necessary. 

That’s obviously an absurd proposition, which is kind of the entire point. The only path this conversation goes down is to excuse our history and blame all of our inequalities in on Mother Nature. So when someone who refuses to acknowledge that history wants to go down this path instead while proclaiming they’re not racist, that just wreaks of disingenuousness.
But some inequality almost certainly is caused by Mother Nature. I don’t see why I should accept blaming everything on “our” history without considering all of the facts. 
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@thett3

I’m going to point out that physical and cognitive abilities would be probably be classified as part of the phenotype; but I know what you mean....

The short answer, focusing specifically on the cognitive (though it does broadly apply elsewhwre) is that while I have every reason to believe that various alleles for intelligence are generated through mutation, are selected for, and have spread through various geographic populations via drift and selection, there is no reason to believe that the occurrence and prevalence of these alleles should correlate directly with the presence of certain other alleles for facial structure and skin tone. 

The only exceptions to that, would be a very small set of super genes that occurred in only one population recently enough that gene flow rates haven’t allowed spread; some selective pressure that means genes for intelligence are driven by the same selective pressure as skin tone and face structure; or some other factor that geographically correlates. I think the first is the only real possibility - as the latter seems particularly convoluted with no obvious biological mechanism which would allow for it - but we’ve pretty much ruled out the first from genetic studies.

Given this, and given that we can show environmental factors that we have been able to causally establish impact intelligence; it’s way, way more likely for racial IQ gaps to be overwhelmingly the result of the environmental differences. With only a very limited geographical - rather than racial - distributions in IQ attributable to genetics.

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Mesmer
The fact that you don't think an argument, which was made with the implications of your argument, doesn't count as an argument, is quite amusing LOL.

You've unwittingly conceded, so thanks.

Given that it’s unclear what you’re point even was, what was the logic behind it, and less clear how it’s relevant or applies: and you don’t seem to want to say, I’ll just wait for you to offer an explanation before trying to disentangle what you’re trying to say; or wait for you to drop what appears to be a nonsensical non-argument.

It's just an accurate label of what you do.

You bs people with sophistry. You're an anti-white shitlib looking to go into semantic funhouses to distract from real arguments.

This is what you always do, and you're about to do it again here.

I would be happy to defend myself if you have specific reasons and justifications for anything you just said

Without that justification - you’re just making unfounded accusations - name calling - which doesn’t require any further response.

“No race realist argues this and I certainly didn't argue this -- horrible strawman you're making here.

Obviously, the environment and genetics play roles in making humans. The debate is to what degree.

You're too busy sniffing your own farts to understand the arguments of the other side.”

Repeated name calling aside; This was based on your quote here:

“The average Black person's intellectual "potential" is lower of that than Whites, Asians, Hispanics and Jews”

However, while I’m happy to change my “solely” to “primarily”;  it seems that you implied that you definitively knew what the race gap actually was - and that this true gap was solely down to genetics. 

“According to your logic, they would all be the same species because we couldn't 'find the genes' to explain all differences.

Okay, so this argument is a rather ridiculous reductio ad Absurdum. It’s rather bizarre.

To start with, species has a functional definition separate from genetics: “a group of living organisms consisting of similar individuals capable of exchanging genes or interbreeding”. So no, absolutely nothing I’ve suggested would preclude humans, dolphins and chimpanzees, etc being deemed part of the same species. I mean, seriously wtf.

Secondly; I am suggesting that to isolate the cause of slightly varying presentations of a single trait in very genetically related, interbreeding populations, that is known to be impacted by the environment and who do not all share the same environment, one must be able to specifically show that one group shares a specific genetic profile the other does not.

That’s completely reasonable.

This logic can’t reasonably applied to many other scenarios, and certainly not to between humans any non homo-sapien species given that: comparisons are largely not a matter of “slightly varying” with traits being compared largely being wholly dissimilar, the populations have been separated by millions of years of reproductive isolation and independent evolution; the variations of traits within both species do not substantially overlap in normal populations and largely cannot even be compared due to fundamental differences in specifies behaviour and morphology, and that known impact of environment is not known to be able to meaningfully shift the variance in any meaningful way in a way that allows a compared trait to differ in those similar species solely by environmental factors.

In this respect: comparing, say, apes and humans; the extent of evolutionary change, genomic distance, and possible environmental influence makes it reasonable to discount environmental factors when comparing almost any aspect of two disparate species.

However - if Two groups of Chimpanzees lived in very different areas, had different diets, and one exhibited slightly more intelligence; one would certainly need to determine what genetic differences there were between the groups that impacted intelligence, and show one group had more the other before asserting the difference is genetic.

So no; your objection here is utterly ridiculous and clearly nonsense.

I'd argue that intelligence is about 80% hereditary
Firstly, the maximum value of heredity in some studies is 80%, the lowest goes down to about 20% in some circumstances. So what you’re doing here is called cherry picking.

The bigger issue, however, is that I think you have completely misunderstood what a Heritability measurement means in genetics.

Saying IQ has a heredity of 0.8 doesn’t mean that 80% of IQ an individuals is down to genetics.

It means that in a group of people being sampled with a range of IQs; 80% of the variation of IQs is expected to be due to differences in genes, and 20% due to differences in the environment of the individuals being compared. It doesn’t take into consideration the impact of environmental factors that may be shared by all, or shared between compared groups - for example there may well be specific impacts of having all environments meet qualifying standards for adoption.

Values of heritability only work as a broad measure of all environmental impacts if you use a broad set of disparate environments in the comparisons - for example things such as comparing multiple sets of identical twins that were brought up one in extreme squalor vs extreme affluence. L

I have no doubt, for example, that in one key study, the environments provided by swedes qualifying as adoptive parents in 1994 are sufficiently similar to one another to account for only 20% of the variation between children placed in their care. This does not mean intelligence will only vary by 20% compared to their twin if one identical twin is adopted to poor farmers in the democratic republic of Congo.

Given the substantial variations in assessed heritability of IQ in various groups depending on the method of measure; including a broadly consistent array of data indicating that environment can have a significant impact on IQ in a variety of ways, especially at the lower end of the socioeconomic scale; the conclusion you draw is largely is unwarranted.

The fundamental problem you have, is that you’re still continuing to simply assert that correlation is causation. Thats a very basic, very simple and very common fallacy. 

It’s simple - to not be using that fallacy, you must know, genetically, what causes intelligence, and know that particular races have less of whatever that is. 

The alternative is to be able to perform a test that is able to measure someone’s intelligence, and is able to correct for every possible environmental contribution to that persons Intelligence - thats not only never been done - but is also so utterly impractical as to be essentially impossible.

The bottom line is very simple:

I explained the various factors that determine intelligence from conception; there is MASSIVE variation in all those factors across various social, ethnic and national groups for multiple non genetic reasons: there is huge capacity, potential and avenue for many forms of environmental impact on intelligence.

If intelligence is primarily genetic, then there should be strong correlation between particular genes or sets of genes; and intelligence - there is not. That undermines your conclusion too.

If intelligence is primarily impacted by environmental factors, which largely correlate with race; then there should be evidence of various environmental factors that impact intelligence - and there is (iron, iodine, adoption studies comparing affluence of adoptive parents, extreme poverty ,abuse, broadly show that there is a large impact on intelligence from non genetic factors); that undermines your conclusion too.

You point to hereditary values of intelligence, without fully understanding the meaning of the term - which again undermines your conclusion.

You also point to G-loaded tests - you seem to present these as being fully independent of environment and culture - which they are clearly and definitively not. They are absolutely correcting for obvious issues such as not being dependent on the pre-existence of learned concepts; but that’s only one of a neat infinite array of various factors external to genetics. If you have an impaired IQ due to having been malnourished, exposed to lead, and having been abused - or any one of a number of other environmental possibilities - the test will not correct or adjust for that. How can it?

Relying on G-loaded in this way may correct for slightly more things than an IQ test, but still leaves you dependent on having to assume correlation is causation in order for the claims to be true.

I mean - your statement that these tests are a measure of genetic variation; can be blown out of the water by the fact that western IQ has gone up by around 15 points in a few decades which can’t be explained by any specific genetic factors; and exceeds that “80%” assertion.

In fact the whole principle that IQ is a normalized comparative value - not an absolute undermines your use of it as an absolute indicator of genetic attributes.

That’s the really the bottom line here; you are assuming that because African Americans score lower, that it’s genetic. But until you can specifically tell that it’s genetic, you can’t make that assertion; and given that a huge amount of the data undermines that assertion - as I have shown it’s even less valid.

thett3
thett3
-->
@Ramshutu
The short answer, focusing specifically on the cognitive (though it does broadly apply elsewhwre) is that while I have every reason to believe that various alleles for intelligence are generated through mutation, are selected for, and have spread through various geographic populations via drift and selection, there is no reason to believe that the occurrence and prevalence of these alleles should correlate directly with the presence of certain other alleles for facial structure and skin tone. 
Selection pressures haven’t been the same everywhere though, to the point that there have been pretty radical differences in phenotype. There is also pretty large differences in admixture with other hominids, Europeans and East Asians having high Neanderthal admixture which is close to zero among sub Saharan Africans. Don’t know what affect this has or on what but it has to mean something. I see no reason whatsoever to assume that the alleles for traits intelligence, athletic ability, sense of rhythm, sense of direction, pain tolerance, etc are perfectly evenly distributed 

Given this, and given that we can show environmental factors that we have been able to causally establish impact intelligence; it’s way, way more likely for racial IQ gaps to be overwhelmingly the result of the environmental differences. With only a very limited geographical - rather than racial - distributions in IQ attributable to genetics.
From what I’ve read IQ is estimated to be around 50% heritable. So it is definitely important to improve the environment for disadvantaged people to make sure that they can reach their full potential. But there could well come a time in the future when by all reasonable accounts the environmental issues have been solved and the chips still might not fall in the way people want them to. I just want people to be prepared for that possibility 
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@thett3
Selection pressures haven’t been the same everywhere though, to the point that there have been pretty radical differences in phenotype. There is also pretty large differences in admixture with other hominids, Europeans and East Asians having high Neanderthal admixture which is close to zero among sub Saharan Africans. Don’t know what affect this has or on what but it has to mean something. I see no reason whatsoever to assume that the alleles for traits intelligence, athletic ability, sense of rhythm, sense of direction, pain tolerance, etc are perfectly evenly distributed 
In a convoluted roundabout way - this is my point. I would somewhat disagree with the premise about natural selective pressures for various reasons - and completely disagree on your premise that are phenotypes are “radically different” - but let’s assume you’re correct - it’s not an unreasonable premise to presume selective pressures differ throughout different environments.

Distribution of intelligence  would be expected to correlate at some geographic level, rather than at a broad racial level. Like, say, Masai being smarter than Zulus; Anglo Saxon’s being smarter than Slavs; rather than correlating on a larger racial basis.

From what I’ve read IQ is estimated to be around 50% heritable. So it is definitely important to improve the environment for disadvantaged people to make sure that they can reach their full potential. But there could well come a time in the future when by all reasonable accounts the environmental issues have been solved and the chips still might not fall in the way people want them to. I just want people to be prepared for that possibility
There’s confusion as to what heritability means in this context; I’d refer you to what I said to Mesmer, it doesn’t quite mean exactly what people think it does; and the way it’s measured is very prone to misinterpretation. Heritability values - weirdly - can change with environments

I think the most pressuring issue is in removing the environmental impacts first, and worrying about what happens as a result later.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@TheMorningsStar
So often I find people criticize Race Realism by trying to tie it as inherently racist in nature,
It is inherently racist. What else would you call discriminating information or rendering conclusions on the basis of so-called "race"?

When science discusses that men are, on average, more aggressive than women, or women are, on average, more empathetic than men it is not seen as inherently sexist,
Science does not discuss that; neither does logic.

nor is it seen as justification for sexism.
First, you have to establish: who are the ones "seeing"?

It is understood that just because men and women are different in some aspects that it doesn't change the moral value of the individual, the dignity of the sexes is not in threat.
Individuals are different in some aspects. Outside of the roles in reproduction and how this expresses itself physically, what else remains in the realm of "Science"?

However, when people try to talk about how people of different races might be, on average, different due, in part, to nature it is seen as inherently racist, an attack on the moral value of the individual, etc.
Once again, who are the ones "seeing"? What is this "nature"?

it is the idea that some of the difference in outcomes between races stems from real qualities about nature. Look at the world's best sprinters, for example. Regardless of the culture they are raised in (aka, a variety of nurture elements) there is a tendency for one particular race to be "over-represented" among these world class sprinters.
So your argument as it concerns this nature is that so-called "blacks" are over-represented in these international pageants where running is involved? I've seen an individual so-called "white" outrun an individual so-called "black." What is your point?

Why does this happen? If Race Realism is true it does not follow that any race is morally of greater importance, it just means that there are differences. It doesn't justify racism, just like differences between men and women doesn't justify sexism.
Because one is grouping people based on nothing more than a government/corporate designation and hiding behind the veil of academia to draw fallacious conclusions using statistics one does not know how to interpret.

Yet that is consistently brought up by many who oppose the idea of Race Realism.
Who?

Race Realism is essentially metaphysical realism applied to race, and that there are different races. The idea that 'race is a social construct' almost always stems from a sort of metaphysical anti-realism.
Metaphysical realism is non-sense.

Dr. Steven pinker is obviously not a racist, and he takes the view that there are genetic differences between races that lead to different outcomes via nature. One of the things he points out is that Jews, regardless of where they live in the world, tend to have higher average intellect than the population around them, and he attributes this, in part, to genetics.
Genes are quantifiable; intelligence quotient (I.Q.) is not. So Pinker's attribution, even in part, necessitates more than his just saying "Jews are smarter than everyone."
thett3
thett3
-->
@Ramshutu
Distribution of intelligence  would be expected to correlate at some geographic level, rather than at a broad racial level. Like, say, Masai being smarter than Zulus; Anglo Saxon’s being smarter than Slavs; rather than correlating on a larger racial basis.
We don’t disagree then because I agree that race is too fuzzy to be a scientifically rigorous concept. India is a great example of this with the IQ’s varying widely by ethnicity. But I am pretty sure that at least some of the difference in IQ between East Asians and caucasians in the US comes from genetic differences rather than environmental. This is probably true between other groups. It’s important to know this stuff because otherwise you get some really bad policies stemming from bad assumptions. East Asians having higher SAT scores than whites isn’t due to anti white discrimination