Author: Double_R

Total: 151
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@thett3
I kinda covered this.

1.) MPP numbers were tiny. It only hit ~10k by June, at which point crossings were already dropping.

2.) Impacts of MPP on immigrants is still going to be better than much of Latin America living conditions: so still worth the risk and unlikely to be deterrent.

3.) Even your link shows that immigration historically peaks July or prior - then falls. Claiming the fall in June is because of policy is Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc.

4.) if the 64% of crossers that came in families were not deterred by family separation, it makes no sense that they happened to be deterred by MPP.

5.) MPP Didn’t apply to unaccompanied minors - but they fell in line with other groups that were in 2019.

6.) Mexican nationals are way up too in 2021 - MPP doesn’t apply to them.

7.) October 2020 border crossings were 72k. That’s the highest October numbers since at least 2013: higher than 2019. It was already showing that immigration was picking up from august 2020, even with Trump and these policies all in place.

8.) Catch and release was “shut down” in 2018. Remain in Mexico was prominent in early 2019. Trump was notoriously hostile to illegal immigration since his election. Despite this overt hostility, there was still a massive peak of illegal immigration in 2019…. It seems to indicate that the impact of policy changes and announcements are minimal.

9.) MPP announcement was followed by a peak of families crossing the border. If it’s valid to attribute the subsequent fall to MPP, it’s just as valid to attribute the rise to MPP too - for example: it meant families no longer had to worry about being deported back to their home countries and had the opposite effect.

The reality is that all these policy implementations - except for perhaps section 42 expulsions had little observable effects on crossings; and section 42 appears to have encouraged repeat offenders over time - with recidivism rising from 7% to 38% focused mainly on single adults.

There was a lull in immigration after Trump was elected - immigration then peaked in 2019, only to return back to Obama levels at the start of 2020, before dropping off the map when Covid hit in March 2020. Rates began picking up again in September 2020 - with august 2020 being higher than the august leading up to the 2019 peak.

Like I said in the remainder of my post; the data seems to clearly point away from any particular policy change being the cause. While perception could be a factor; the single biggest data point that indicates what’s going on is recidivism; which gives the impression that it’s Trumps section 42 expulsions, which Biden is maintaining, that is having the biggest policy impact. 

Again, I would presume that all the right wing media telling us the border is open and everyone is being allowed in; is having some level of positive effect on immigration numbers; as is the simple concept that there were many families that didn’t cross last year due to the pandemic that are crossing now.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Double_R
As is the idea that we have open borders
This one cracks me up.

I wonder how much illegal immigration would go down, if half the US media stopped falsely reporting that the US border is open, illegals were getting welfare, and were being welcomed in open arms.

I do like GPs troll logic.

Conservatives talk about how the US is the greatest country on the planet, that there’s opportunity for all, that you can succeed if you just put in hard work, the fetishize people who come in to the country with $10 and make their fortune.

The moment people flee extreme poverty, and gang violence - the first thought is “it’s definitely because we’re giving poor kids too much food”.

It’s nonsense, clearly.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
As is the idea that we have open borders.

For  women and families that say they are pregnant and the 94% of illegal entrants that falsely claim asylum when in reality they are fleeing poverty to take part in America's welfare. Promise to show up for the court hearing. And don't.

That's a wide open border for those people.

At least Canada rejects bullshit asylum claims at entry points. They don't say come back in a few years to this court if you feel like it.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
It's also a LOT easier to break something than to fix it, but don't tell any DC sycophant that.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Ramshutu
1.) MPP numbers were tiny. It only hit ~10k by June, at which point crossings were already dropping.
What do you think caused the crash, then? The numbers went from around a 15 year peak to a 20 year low, only to immediately jump to a 21 year high after Biden took office. I'll repeat what I asked Double_R... Is it seriously your position that Trump's policies had nothing to do with illegal border crossings reaching a 20 year low, and Biden reversing those policies had nothing to do with border crossings reaching a 21 year high scarcely a year later? 

3.) Even your link shows that immigration historically peaks July or prior - then falls. Claiming the fall in June is because of policy is Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc.
That's a totally dishonest way to frame the data. Yes, it does go through seasonal peaks and troughs, but the peak in May of 2019 was not at all normal, nor was the crash to the lowest numbers in 20 years, nor was the spike to the highest levels in 20 years as soon as Biden took office. Notably, that familiar seasonal pattern also seems to have vanished around 2014. This coincides with net migration from Mexico turning negative and when Obama had to deal with a similar crisis of unaccompanied children and false asylum claims. It is entirely possible that the nature of illegal immigration has changed. Here is some data from 2005-2010, as you can see in each year over 90% of those apprehended were over the age of 18, and over 85% were from Mexico: https://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/ois-apprehensions-fs-2005-2010.pdf

So tldr you can't compare the seasonal nature that existed in the past with what is happening today, as that was mostly adults looking for work, not families looking for welfare.

4.) if the 64% of crossers that came in families were not deterred by family separation, it makes no sense that they happened to be deterred by MPP.
They were deterred by it: 

“First of all, he does not separate families,” one Colombian migrant said, according to a translation. “Second, one can wait less, when before it was six months. Now it goes by faster to wait under asylum.” 

This is actually evidence that it is working since the portion of Mexican citizens, the group the policy does not apply to, doubled between 2019 and 2021. Unless you know of some other reason illegal immigration from Mexico would increase that doesn't apply to the northern triangle. Also notably, the portion of citizens from the Northern Triangle countries declined from 78% to 45% between those years. These citizens were the ones who comprised the vast majority of those who were subjected to Trump's policies, and their numbers are down, while citizens of other countries are now more likely to make a go at it. This very strongly suggests there was a chilling effect.

7.) October 2020 border crossings were 72k. That’s the highest October numbers since at least 2013: higher than 2019. It was already showing that immigration was picking up from august 2020, even with Trump and these policies all in place.
True, but you can also see a tapering off around December/January of 2021 before the numbers pick up again and completely explode to levels not seen in two decades. Moreover this doesn't absolve Biden at all. Pointing the finger and saying "actually Trump did nothing!!!" doesn't mean that there is not a crisis that he is utterly failing to solve. In fact, the numbers were relatively stable from October 2020 to January 2021 rising a total of around 9%. The numbers went up 30% in Bidens first full month in office (February), 71% in his second month, and have risen 20% since then. Notably most of the rise happened long before July, further evidence that the 2000s era data showing a clear seasonal pattern is not that relevant anymore.

9.) MPP announcement was followed by a peak of families crossing the border. If it’s valid to attribute the subsequent fall to MPP, it’s just as valid to attribute the rise to MPP too - for example: it meant families no longer had to worry about being deported back to their home countries and had the opposite effect.
First of all, I couldn't care less if more of them made the journey, as long as they weren't allowed in. So your counterfactual doesn't actually prove anything. I don't care if they are in their home countries or in Mexico, what's important is that they aren't in my country. But you have zero explanation for what caused a sudden end to the crisis. I do: the chilling effect as policies take effect and would be migrants see the impact of those policies. 

The reality is that all these policy implementations - except for perhaps section 42 expulsions had little observable effects on crossings; and section 42 appears to have encouraged repeat offenders over time - with recidivism rising from 7% to 38% focused mainly on single adults.
Trump was deporting over 90% of illegals via section 42, while Biden has dropped that number down to less than half. So if you think section 42 is the most important thing, it still doesn't absolve Biden.

Like I said in the remainder of my post; the data seems to clearly point away from any particular policy change being the cause. While perception could be a factor; the single biggest data point that indicates what’s going on is recidivism; which gives the impression that it’s Trumps section 42 expulsions, which Biden is maintaining, that is having the biggest policy impact. 

"In July, 27% of border encounters involved migrants with at least one previous encounter within the past year, according to CBP statistics. That was up from an average of 14% between the 2014 and 2019 fiscal years, before Title 42 took effect." https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/08/13/migrant-encounters-at-u-s-mexico-border-are-at-a-21-year-high/ 

Recidivism doubled yes, but illegal border crossings as a whole are probably 4 to 5 times the average from those years. The number of unique individuals was up 17% from 2019 which was the worst year in decades for illegal immigration, so hardly a rosy thing to compare to. "A total of 1,002,722 unique individuals have been encountered year-to-date during Fiscal Year 2021, compared to 851,513 during the same time period in Fiscal Year 2019." https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-releases-august-2021-operational-update
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
Let’s ignore the bad data for a moment where asylum seekers actually show up to court hearings 89% of the time (at least from the most recent data)

Canada is actually pretty good at irregular border crossings: with asylum claims granted at a pretty decent rate for irregular border crossings - out of 60k in the last few years, only 16k have been rejected, with 22k accepted, and 17k still pending.

We just don’t get that many crossings because, despite our insane welfare systems, because, you know, it’s not welfare people are coming for….
thett3
thett3
-->
@Ramshutu
Canada is actually pretty good at irregular border crossings: with asylum claims granted at a pretty decent rate for irregular border crossings - out of 60k in the last few years, only 16k have been rejected, with 22k accepted, and 17k still pending.

We just don’t get that many crossings because, despite our insane welfare systems, because, you know, it’s not welfare people are coming for….
No, it's because you don't have a giant land border with a significantly poorer country, which itself borders even poorer countries.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
16 k  rejections are all bullshit cases.

Asylum isn't a welfare ticket, at least not for Canada. Why cant we reject these people like Canada does?

Why is America so much more special than Canada... What makes America so porous?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
What's so weird is that the major supporters of open borders and lax enforcement are wealthy whites.

The vast majority of Hispanics want the door shut.

Maybe the radical left is right about one thing, we really don't need all these preachy white people telling minorities what's best for them.
thett3
thett3
-->
@Greyparrot
What's so weird is that the major supporters of open borders and lax enforcement are wealthy whites.

The vast majority of Hispanics want the door shut.

Maybe the radical left is right about one thing, we really don't need all these preachy white people telling minorities what's best for them.

Yes, I was skeptical of the narrative that Hispanics would assimilate just like the Ellis Islanders did, and I'm still not completely sold on it, but that view has been taking some serious W's lately. I know that border communities are absolutely furious with Biden and I can't wait to see how they vote in 2022. 
thett3
thett3
-->
@Greyparrot
According to this poll Biden is underwater with Texas hispanics, 55-37. On the border issue specifically his 66% disapprove, 26% approve with hispanics. Overall an atrocious 20% approval to 71% disapproval on the border

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
Whites are so inept when it comes to self preservation. It's like watching the mistakes of the opulent, fat, aloof, Roman patrician class repeat over and over as they outsourced their protection to extra-nationals. 

Whites deserve to lose the country they founded at this point.
thett3
thett3
-->
@Greyparrot
Yeah we really over corrected after the civil rights movement. Hopefully we don't overcorrect again and can just instead be normal 
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@thett3
 Hopefully we don't overcorrect again and can just instead be normal 
Haha, pendulum go wrrrrrr
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Ramshutu
I wonder how much illegal immigration would go down, if half the US media stopped falsely reporting that the US border is open, illegals were getting welfare, and were being welcomed in open arms.
I think they’re coming over for their free Obama phone.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R

Yah that's why 16k "asylum seekers" were rejected in Canada. Phones. Why do you troll everything in bad faith?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
The far left is on the verge of impeaching Biden for reinstating the remain in Mexico facist policy.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

Is the lack of immigrants why we don't have enough truck drivers?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
They can be paid to stay at home like the rest of the Americans.

Let's go Brandon!
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@thett3
Recall, my previous post was mainly pointing out the inconsistencies in the argument that MPP reduced immigration

Asking “What caused the crash then?” Does not change the fact that MPP was neither large enough nor early enough to account for the drop.

2.) Impacts of MPP on immigrants is still going to be better than much of Latin America living conditions: so still worth the risk and unlikely to be deterrent.
No reply

“but the peak in May of 2019 was not at all normal (nor was the fall).”

Compared to the preceding few years - it was not normal in volume. Compared to the previous 20 years - the timing of the rise and fall were seasonally consistent. Timing is the main argument you’re making, and I’m pointing out  that the timing of the fall is consistent with other years. It erodes your timing argument is due to mpp.

4.) if the 64% of crossers that came in families were not deterred by family separation, it makes no sense that they happened to be deterred by MPP

“But a selection of immigrants interviewed by a right wing website, said they didn’t want to cross the border under Trump”.

None of mentioned MPP as a reason, your example mentioned family separation - which  wasn’t actually occurring under Trump either, and cited an decrease in wait times that doesn’t appear to be matched to any real wait time decrease. 

There are proposed rule changes that would both free up the courts AND expand expedited removal - which haven’t actually been implemented yet; and given what you’ve said about MPP, should reduce people entering by causing swift removal - rather than catch and release.

But I’m not talking about an anecdote; I’m talking about the lack of appreciable drop (or subsequent rise) in families crossing the border during and after family separation (which ended mid 2018). 

5.) MPP Didn’t apply to unaccompanied minors - but they fell in line with other groups that were in 2019.

You missed this one too.

“This proves my point!”

Well not really. If the spike is due to removal of MPP specifically - to which you attribute the massive dip in 2020 - then removing it or attempting to remove it shouldn’t have impacted immigration from Mexico - but immigration from Mexico is also way up indicating there is a change in pressure - not the policy.

“But they were tapering off!”

October and November numbers were huge despite no change in immigration policy. Immigration was not spiking (as in other winters), but high above averages - Indicating that immigration pressure was already far higher at the end of 2020 despite no change in MPP policy. The point being that Immigration was way up on normal levels prior to any policy changes.

“But it’s not seasonal any more.”

Seasonal peaks are the historic norm: with

8.) Catch and release was “shut down” in 2018. Remain in Mexico was prominent in early 2019. Trump was notoriously hostile to illegal immigration since his election. Despite this overt hostility, there was still a massive peak of illegal immigration in 2019…. It seems to indicate that the impact of policy changes and announcements are minimal.

You missed this one too

“Why the dip?”

You missed the point here; the point is that you’re simply pointing to MPP as a cause of the fall; despite it being too small and too late. I’m pointing out that you could also argue that this policy was responsible for the peak in family crossings in 2019; it makes just as much sense.

This is the big point: that there is no reason that the policy you said was controlling immigration was actually controlling immigration. If it applied to all or a majority 300,000 asylum claims made in 2019, perhaps - but it wasn’t close.

So let’s look at what actually happened; 2017 was a very low year. 2018 was a bit higher, there was a large peak in 2019. This wasn’t down to policy, but in part underlying pressure and likely part because people not crossing in the previous years due to uncertainty about trump for the previous two years crossed.

After the summer, the numbers fell again; to numbers similar to 2015/2016 at the end of 2019 and start of 2020 - before dropping off to almost nothing in April 2020 - is there something you can imagine happened in March/April 2020 that could have deterred people from crossing, perhaps some major worldwide health crisis? The stats show that crossings tanked in March/April.

Once the initial uncertainty of that had passed after the summer; and the economy picked up - numbers ticked up to the highest winter numbers for nearly two decades; Biden took over and the numbers went up even more.

There are several reasons for the amount and timing. Firstly, Latin America are going through their worst bout of unemployment in decades, whilst there are huge numbers of job openings in the US. 2020 was an outlier due to the pandemic, which has the double blow of causing economic problems in Latin America, and delaying people to this year. Add to this hurricane Eta and Iota in mid November; pile onto a decade of drought and the high level if food insecurity: it’s hugely unsurprising that migration pressure would up from 2019.

Title 42 has a small part to play: while it allows rapid  expulsion at the border - it reduces the burden of being caught. No prison, little risk, just cross the border and worst case you get out back where you were. The percentage of 

Perception, for sure, has a Massive part to play. It doesn’t matter whether Biden is the same, or even harsher for immigrants than Trump - if people perceive him to be more open, more people will come. This is why the right wing media painting the southern Border as completely open, that people are now suddenly just being let in, and allowed to run away into the US - when what’s happening is not much different than than under Trump (which he is being beaten up about in the left FYI) - has a far larger impact on that perception than any material impact from changes in policy.

The issue right now, is one of raw capacity. Title 42 is still in place (and is unchanged from Trump), but the spectrum of individuals that are coming has changed meaning fewer are expelled (a trend that began in summer 2020). With limited holding capacity - there are limited options with what to do - hence why multitudes have to be bonded out (which happened under Trump too),  MPP didn’t have any substantial capacity to deal with any of this; and ultimately this is exacerbating the issues; but it’s not the underlying cause of the problems.

Altogether it’s not going be solved by relatively tiny programs like remain and Mexico for all the reasons I’ve stated already - it’s going to require the countries that are generating the refugees to be stable.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Double_R
How DARE you reply with a stupid throwaway line response. How DARE you troll in bad faith!! Have you not seen this forum before??

Next thing we know you’ll turn full stupid, dishonest Troll, by making everything you say stupid throwaway lines, offering no argument at all, saying ridiculous things such as “immigration is based on welfare” that you have no ability or will to defend, then blocking people when your safe space is challenged by someone pointing out your evasive non engagement is covering for a systemically vacuous political position.

Shame on you!
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Adjusted for population, Canada rejects more bullshit "obamaphone" asylum claims than America.

Why can't the USA be as nationalistic as Canada?

Honest question here.
thett3
thett3
-->
@Ramshutu
Asking “What caused the crash then?” Does not change the fact that MPP was neither large enough nor early enough to account for the drop.
A policy implemented to address false asylum claims is rolled out to counter a growing crisis, and after a few months false asylum claims crash. I'm open to the idea that MPP alone didn't solve the crisis. What I'm not open to is the argument that Trumps mix of policies had nothing to do with driving border crossings to a multi decade low, and that Biden repealing those policies had nothing to do with border crossings reaching a multi decade high. What's your explanation for what happened?

Compared to the preceding few years - it was not normal in volume. Compared to the previous 20 years - the timing of the rise and fall were seasonally consistent. Timing is the main argument you’re making, and I’m pointing out  that the timing of the fall is consistent with other years. It erodes your timing argument is due to mpp.
Take another look at my response, because you seem to have missed it. Anything pre-2014 is not relevant to the current crisis:

" Notably, that familiar seasonal pattern also seems to have vanished around 2014. This coincides with net migration from Mexico turning negative and when Obama had to deal with a similar crisis of unaccompanied children and false asylum claims. It is entirely possible that the nature of illegal immigration has changed. Here is some data from 2005-2010, as you can see in each year over 90% of those apprehended were over the age of 18, and over 85% were from Mexico: https://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/ois-apprehensions-fs-2005-2010.pdf

So tldr you can't compare the seasonal nature that existed in the past with what is happening today, as that was mostly adults looking for work, not families looking for welfare."

“But a selection of immigrants interviewed by a right wing website, said they didn’t want to cross the border under Trump”.

None of mentioned MPP as a reason, your example mentioned family separation - which  wasn’t actually occurring under Trump either, and cited an decrease in wait times that doesn’t appear to be matched to any real wait time decrease. 
This was in response to your point that arresting them parents for illegally crossing the border didn't deter border crossing.

October and November numbers were huge despite no change in immigration policy. Immigration was not spiking (as in other winters), but high above averages - Indicating that immigration pressure was already far higher at the end of 2020 despite no change in MPP policy. The point being that Immigration was way up on normal levels prior to any policy changes.
I try to be as charitable as I can but after reading this response I honestly don't think you're arguing in good faith. Or you just think I'm not going to call you out on it. The numbers were posted for you, and for all readers. The "huge" October and November numbers were about a third of the numbers for July, August and September, which have not been seen in decades. There was a large increase--that then tapered off. As soon as Biden took office, there was a gigantic increase that has yet to abate: 

"In fact, the numbers were relatively stable from October 2020 to January 2021 rising a total of around 9%. The numbers went up 30% in Bidens first full month in office (February), 71% in his second month, and have risen 20% since then. Notably most of the rise happened long before July, further evidence that the 2000s era data showing a clear seasonal pattern is not that relevant anymore."

Perception, for sure, has a Massive part to play. It doesn’t matter whether Biden is the same, or even harsher for immigrants than Trump - if people perceive him to be more open, more people will come. This is why the right wing media painting the southern Border as completely open, that people are now suddenly just being let in, and allowed to run away into the US - when what’s happening is not much different than than under Trump (which he is being beaten up about in the left FYI) - has a far larger impact on that perception than any material impact from changes in policy.
Here are the numbers for title 42, which you cite as evidence that Biden is no different or "even harsher" than Trump. It went from over 90% being expelled to less than 50%. This is because Biden made the decision not to expel family units, essentially opening the border to all families who can make the trip. Hopefully they’re eventually expelled because their asylum claims are bogus but I’m not optimistic under a Democratic administration 

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@thett3
Speaking of perception, maybe saying you’ll pay for illegal immigrant healthcare is bringing them 🤷‍♂️ 

On June 27, 2019, the issue of health care and immigrants who are in the country illegally was raised during a Democratic debate. The 10 candidates on stage — including Biden — were asked to raise their hand "if your government plan would provide coverage for undocumented immigrants." Biden joined all the other candidates in raising his hand.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
Why can't the USA be as nationally protective as Canada?

What's so wrong about the USA where 38% of its citizens think it shouldn't exist as a nation?
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
The only thing Canada protects is the right to give animals blowjobs

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
Mindblown.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
It’s official — A record-breaking total of 1.7 million apprehensions of illegal immigrants along the southern border in Fiscal Year 2021, according to just-released Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) data. It is the highest ever annual total recorded and highlights the manufactured crisis President Biden created but continues to ignore.
CBP detained a total of 1,734,686 illegal immigrants attempting to cross the southwest border in the fiscal year 2021, which began in October 2020 and ended on Sept. 30, 2021 — numbers that soared to the highest levels ever recorded and breaking numbers reported last seen back in 1986. The most recent time for border arrest was over one million was back in FY2006, when border patrol apprehended 1,071,972 migrants.

@LGB
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
People from everywhere are coming. Middle East, South Asia, South America.

Why? Cause the border is open. Hello Open Border Brandon
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ILikePie5
One World

Us and Them.

Selfishness

Survival.

As individuals we tend not to think much further than the ends of our noses.

We move forwards in intellectual output.

But are almost stationary as individuals.

And change very slowly as a collective.

Will we get there?

Assuming that we need to get somewhere.