Blue moon, and the failure of determinism

Author: 949havoc

Total: 196
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@949havoc
But determinists see Hamlet himself as incapable of defying his brain structure and bodily chemistry as a star. His outcome in decisions is determined according to his particular brain, energy levels and hormones (including emotions) at the time.

Nobody denies he had the other choice presented to him, what the determinists assert is that he'd always have chosen the choice that he chose, given his brain structure and bodily variables at the time (for this argument to work, you need to consider memories to be included in brain structure, otherwise add on 'memories' to it).
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@949havoc
That’s nice.

You’re still begging the question by presupposing that free will exists.
949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@RationalMadman
@Ramshutu
 you need to consider memories to be included in brain structure,
But our resident self-identified software engineer [Ramshutu, #146] distinguishes software and hardware, and I would distinguish brain structure [tissue & chemistry] from mind and thought, considering software as the mind/thought, and hardware as the brain tissue and chemistry. While I will acknowledge that conditions of brain structure and chemistry have their effect on thought and decision-making, I do not agree that hey are the only influences on those processes, no do I accept that the result of thought and decisions are determinist in nature. And, Hamlet expresses that very idea in Act III,i by saying, as I previously cited, "That patient merit of the unworthy takes, when he himself might his quietus make with a bare bodkin?" Any unfamiliar words no longer in the current common lexicon, [thgere are two just in that short offering] but certainly in use in the early 17th century when Hamlet was written, should clarify if consulted. Hamlet is not depending on stars, or universal particles, or anything else you guys push forward for explanation of his thinking process. It is him doing the thinking by his own wits.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@949havoc
But our resident self-identified software engineer [Ramshutu, #146] distinguishes software and hardware, and I would distinguish brain structure [tissue & chemistry] from mind and thought, considering software as the mind/thought, and hardware as the brain tissue and chemistry.
This would be completely and totally incorrect. I’ll use Artificial Neural Networks as an example: these use a software program running on hardware to manage, update and modify the he state and activity of neurones (thinking).

In your brain, the laws of physics and physical interactions of actual physical neurones generates the state and activity of those neurones (thinking).

The error in your comparison is that you’re drawing broad analogies between two things without really paying attention to what things are doing. A better analogy would be this:

The Software: manages the data flow, state and behaviour of neurones. This is analogous to physical brain structure, connectivity, synapses, and physical inputs and outputs of your brain. 

The Hardware : the storage medium, method of processing instructions, and storing the software state. This isn’t really analogous to anything directly / the closest thing is “the laws of physics”,  which allows the brain software “your neurones, it’s connectivity and state” to run and interact with things.

While I will acknowledge that conditions of brain structure and chemistry have their effect on thought and decision-making, I do not agree that hey are the only influences on those processes, no do I accept that the result of thought and decisions are determinist in nature.
One would expect in a discussion forum of a debate website; when one “does not agree” and “does not accept” various statements that are being discussed - one tries to present logical arguments to justify that disagreement or lack of acceptance.

One does not use that lack of acceptance or agreement as an stand-in for an argument against the thing you are not accepting or agreeing with.

Given that a) changing chemical environments grossly affect your thinking and your decisions, b.) losing parts of your brain affect your thinking and your decisions and c.) your thoughts and decisions can be deduced via looking at the physical brain and nothing else - it would seem self evident that thought is a manifestation of physical objects and processes. As physical objects and processes are mediated by physical laws, not personal agency
- free will can’t exist.

And, Hamlet expresses that very idea in Act III,i by saying, as I previously cited, "That patient merit of the unworthy takes, when he himself might his quietus make with a bare bodkin?" Any unfamiliar words no longer in the current common lexicon, [thgere are two just in that short offering] but certainly in use in the early 17th century when Hamlet was written, should clarify if consulted. Hamlet is not depending on stars, or universal particles, or anything else you guys push forward for explanation of his thinking process. It is him doing the thinking by his own wits.
Absolutely - if you assume decisions made in a fictional book are free will - then free will exists. This is; however, assuming your own conclusion. And obviously not a valid argument.

You should be aware by this point, that the argument you are facing is not that choice doesn’t exist, it is not that we don’t make decisions, or feel like we are free to chose what we want: but that this choice and feeling of agency is illusory.

Continuing to argue as if merely the existence of someone making a choice is free will; ignores this central point, and is the key reason this doesn’t appear to be an actual discussion, but merely a vehicle for you to simply assert your preference is accurate.

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Ramshutu
Absolutely - if you assume decisions made in a fictional book are free will - then free will exists. 
You're in my territory, now - writing fiction. Look up the implication of "suspension of disbelief." My particular style of fiction, recognized by some readers, is that in my arena of historic fiction, I weave the history and fiction so closely together, readers are not certain, with detailed study, where the history ends and fiction begins. Funny how I can be so brief, while you write a bible.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@949havoc
you just admitted to being proud of arguing in bad faith and fusing falsehood with genuine historical fact...
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@949havoc
You're in my territory, now - writing fiction. Look up the implication of "suspension of disbelief." My particular style of fiction, recognized by some readers, is that in my arena of historic fiction, I weave the history and fiction so closely together, readers are not certain, with detailed study, where the history ends and fiction begins. Funny how I can be so brief, while you write a bible.
Given that I answer all salient points and provide a substantive justification of the claims I’m making; while you offer hand waving, assumes conclusions - and non answers: there is zero surprise here.

Brevity isn’t a virtue in debate when you contest everything and yet defend nothing.
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@RationalMadman
you just admitted to being proud of arguing in bad faith and fusing falsehood with genuine historical fact...
No, you have completely jaded what I said. I said I write and publish fiction. I do. But my fiction has so much historic fact in it, it is difficult for readers to find the crossover. That's fiction, and every book of fiction I write contains the following disclaimer as the first words seen when the book is opened: "[Book Title] is a work of fiction..." My challenge in writing a successful fiction is that the suspension of disbelief is alive and well; the fiction is believable, in spite of the disclaimer. Now, you can read my fiction, and think you're reading history, and I cannot help that; it's entirely the reader's decision to accept the fiction as fact.

My argument in this thread, that humans have and use free will, and not determinism, is a solid opinion argued in good faith, not bad. I firmly believe in the concent as true, and that, also, is in. good faith. Do not blend my work with my thinking in this thread and charge that it is given in bad faith. The claim is bad faith on your part that you cannot see the difference. That's entirely on you, my friend.

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Ramshutu
I answer all salient points and provide a substantive justification of the claims I’m making
Justification? I've seen your opinion stated every which way, but I'll agree it's attempted to be justified when I see more than just your verbosity. let's see substantive source material in agreement with your opinion. You're a software engineer, not a physicist, and not a scientist, nor a cosmologist, nor a medical doctor. I've cited representatives of all those disciplines. You?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@949havoc
Absolutely - if you assume decisions made in a fictional book are free will - then free will exists. 
You're in my territory, now - writing fiction. Look up the implication of "suspension of disbelief." My particular style of fiction, recognized by some readers, is that in my arena of historic fiction, I weave the history and fiction so closely together, readers are not certain, with detailed study, where the history ends and fiction begins. 
How can this be written in good faith?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@949havoc
Justification? I've seen your opinion stated every which way, but I'll agree it's attempted to be justified when I see more than just your verbosity. let's see substantive source material in agreement with your opinion. You're a software engineer, not a physicist, and not a scientist, nor a cosmologist, nor a medical doctor. I've cited representatives of all those disciplines. You?
Feel free to link me the post where I argue for determinism that you feel I provided no justification: I will be more than happy to re-quote it, and list the nature of my argument where I justify my argument, and explain why. Without any specifics at all, it’s hard to comment.

This is just intellectually lazy; making broad claims without any real example or justification - at least when I tell you your begging the question I explain how - you can see that above. It’s actually the verbosity that provides that justification - I suspect you just tune out arguments.

Secondly; if you feel any of my statements of fact about reality are not factual; I will be happy to offer citations - I tend not to; because most uncontroversial statements do not need source material unless contested. Nothing I’ve said should be controversial - physical things operate by rules, those rules are repeatable, our brains appear to be physical things affected by physical events - everything else is just logic. Again, without specifics of what you claim is false - it’s hard to comment.

The one example I do recall giving you was an example of using an FMRi to read someone’s mind - proving thoughts are manifest in the physical brain - if I recall, you just ignored it.

Thirdly anyone is able to link a source of note; the trick is for it to be able to justify the argument you’re making. The only sources you’ve shared that I recall relate to brain chemistry: where you conflated “chemistry” as in the unique chemical composition of all our brains - which differs slightly between individuals - and “chemistry” as in the various laws of chemistry that describe the interaction of chemicals. Other than foot stamping; and, if I recall, not much else.

In this regard; your ability to copy and paste someone else’s opinion, is largely immaterial when one has no ability to apply it logically or correctly to an argument someone is making.

Finally: while I am a software engineer, I am also a technically scientist. While I would not consider myself a qualified expert on most topics, other than informatics, data science, computer science and possibly non ANN heuristics (with a focus on graph search optimizations and evolutionary algorithms): I would consider myself incredibly knowledgeable for a lay person on a wide variety of scientific topics, with a decent ability to recall salient points - and would be more than happy to demonstrate that my understanding on any of the topics here vastly exceeds yours if you had a fair format in mind for me to do so.

I’m sure you’re reply will be “omg too long”: but unfortunately; you need words to reply to unsubstantiated accusations.

TL;DR:
- which post demonstrating my position, so you feel didn’t justify themselves.
- which facts that I stated as true do you think are false.
- Bitch Please, this is like Elizabeth Holmes telling Jack Dorsey that “you’re no Jeff Bezos”

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Ramshutu
I do recall giving you was an example of using an FMRi to read someone’s mind - proving thoughts are manifest in the physical brain 
I ignored it because the statement is ridiculous. I have previously cited such an article - who knows, it may be the same one - in another thread, indicating that the measurement is not the manifest of thoughts, themselves, but that thinking is taking place. There's a huge difference; kind of like the difference between premature effectuation and real learning that can be acted upon. There is no evidence demonstrated, yet, that thoughts, let alone the mind, itself, is resident in the brain. It is a measurement of the process, not the manifest details of the material of thought. I'm surprised you confuse the two, and argue the point.

Otherwise, as usual, TLDR. Verbosity may not be scholarship
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@949havoc
I ignored it because the statement is ridiculous. I have previously cited such an article - who knows, it may be the same one - in another thread, indicating that the measurement is not the manifest of thoughts, themselves, but that thinking is taking place.
That’s called “begging the question”. you’re just asserting that there is a difference with no basis on fact.

There's a huge difference; kind of like the difference between premature effectuation and real learning that can be acted upon. There is no evidence demonstrated, yet, that thoughts, let alone the mind, itself, is resident in the brain. It is a measurement of the process, not the manifest details of the material of thought. I'm surprised you confuse the two, and argue the point.
I’m not - you’re simply asserting that they’re different with no basis of fact. I am obviously unable to prove a negative - so simply demanding I show that thought isn’t something you claim it is, is impossible. This is what is called shifting the burden of proof.

Otherwise, as usual, TLDR. Verbosity may not be scholarship
Telling everyone you’re intentionally refusing to listen to someone’s argument - is confirming intellectual dishonesty, no matter how colourfully you wish to phrase it.
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Ramshutu
That’s called “begging the question”. you’re just asserting that there is a difference with no basis on fact.
You clearly do not know how to distinguish the thought process, which I agree can be measured, and the content of a thought. I'm saying what cannot yet be measured is the content of thought, the information in a thought. https://sapienlabs.org/measuring-a-thought/.  "What is its relationship to information? Must a thought contain information?"

With a neuroscientist asking that question, and neither of us are that, yet can also ask the question, the answer appears to not be forthcoming, yet. So, no, thought content of a person is not yet measurable and definable by another person. Period. Don't throw your typical bomb; it's a dud.

Either the thought content does not reside within the brain, and all of its anatomy, or, the measurement of thought content is a test whose parameters currently escape our knowledge. Only be asking a person to reveal their thoughts is the current question answered. Unfortunately for you and determinism, that person enjoys freedom of speech, which includes the right to remain silent, in spire of inquiring minds.

949havoc
949havoc
If psychics were not true charlatans, and actually had the ability to read others' thoughts, why do they ask questions of their subject before "revealing" their understanding of that person's thoughts? That's not psychic ability; that's just superlative interview skills. Would determinism save them from their folly, let alone the subject for believing in psychic thought-reading? We're dumb enough, most of us, to reveal more than we think to a skilled interviewer, and then are amazed how they reveal our alleged secrets. And we [I've never consulted one] actually pay these people, when our silence, alone, when asked, would foil them. The true psychic can read silence, but there are damn few of them around. So much for horoscopes, which depend entirely on fixed points in space at any given time, but only from an Earth perspective. Are Vulcan horoscopes on Earth valid? Probably not, but neither are those offered by Earthlings to Earthlings.
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@949havoc
You are currently leading the race for "person I least want to sit next to on a long flight". 
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@ludofl3x
Why would I be there? I'm a water sign, and the vessel is mine. Don't see your name on the manifest. Sorry.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@949havoc
You clearly do not know how to distinguish the thought process, which I agree can be measured, and the content of a thought. I'm saying what cannot yet be measured is the content of thought, the information in a thought. https://sapienlabs.org/measuring-a-thought/.  "What is its relationship to information? Must a thought contain information?"
Let’s disentangle this complete and utter mess.

Your position is that thoughts are not physical. That is both your conclusion and the inherent assumption you make.

Your objection to everything said is basically “but thoughts are not physical”, and  “but we have free will”. As I keep saying, and you keep ignoring - this is completely begging the question.

Let’s first start by pointing out that you absolutely no evidence, argument or justification for this claim - it’s completely made up, as there is absolutely no direct or indirect evidence that anything non physical happens in your brain, or can even exist. 

Repeating the assumption - and then using it to draw your conclusion that wholly depends on that assumption - is begging the question.

What you’re doing however, is wholly misunderstanding the nature and intent of the above.

I can’t prove that your brain does not have some hidden, thinky magic force that is non physical and acts as some force for free will. This is proving a negative; it’s not possible. You often suggest or imply that we need to disprove this; unfortunately as stated this is shifting the burden of proof.

In these two critical respects - your link doesn’t change the fact that your arguments are begging the question and shifting the burden of proof.

To not be doing those two things: you must provide evidence that there is a hidden think magic force in your brain - which you don’t, and your blog post (and while authored by a PHd, is still a blog post) doesn’t either.

The key to my argument: is whether thought is the product of something physical, or is a hidden magic thinky force. There are indeed experiments with fMRI that I shared where a machine can work out the thing you are thinking about - conflating thought and thought process at this stage is just arbitrary question begging at this stage - but the crucial aspect is that your thinking and decision making is both impacted by physical changes to your brain; and readable through it.

You’re coming at this like an apologist - how can I explain this data in a way that my opinion can still be correct. I am coming at this like a scientists - what does the physical nature of the brain indicate? 

Indeed, these points offer potential for falsification - if neither of the above things were true it would help prove you right.

So in this respect, all these physical aspects and outcomes of the brain help establish the substantial credibility of arguing that there is no hidden magic thinky force - because the brain behaves as one would expect if there was none.

And to this objection, you effectively just continually parrot that I’m wrong because there is definitely a hidden magic force. Begging the question.

Your silly insults aside; you miss some key nuance in your blog post; and you infer from that I’m making some categorical error; which is kinda weird.

The blog post is effectively pointing out that we don’t really know what a thought is; and as a result we don’t know how to measure it. Given that I’m not suggesting we know what a thought is, or suggesting that we can directly measure thinking (as opposed to indirectly measuring it, which we can), your claim that I’m confused about it is a bit of a straw man as if misrepresents what I’m saying.

The blog post is, in no way, suggesting that thoughts aren’t the product of physical processes, or are the manifestation of magic thinky force - only drawing that specific distinction - which I mostly agree with. So as before, you share a link that doesn’t really affirm your position at all.

At the very best, you're just making a huge argument from ignorance - suggesting that not knowing what a thought is, means it’s exactly what you’re saying it is.

You keep evading these points with silly nonsense such as the above.

You don’t have an argument; you have an unfalsifiable opinion that you cannot show is true; which you use to beg the question - assert in response to anyone showing it should be considered false; and for which you continually attempt to shift the burden of proof; and don’t seem able to defend.

I mean come on, let’s work through the problem scientifically - what observation can we make today that we shouldn’t be able to make if the brain is a purely physical entity - and why

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

Proof that thoughts are physical.  Anesthetics primarily act on receptors located in the brain and produce oscillations in the brain's circuits, leading to a state of consciousness that it is much more similar to a coma than to sleep.

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Ramshutu
Let’s first start by pointing out that you absolutely no evidence, argument or justification for this claim - it’s completely made up, as there is absolutely no direct or indirect evidence that anything non physical happens in your brain, or can even exist. 
Yes, let's. For example, though you have claimed to have offered scholastic sourcing to support your determinism, I find in review of this thread that you have addressed me on 22 posts, only one of which has a cited reference, and that referring to the CBS show, "60 Minutes," with Leslie Stahl reporting on FMRI "mind reading" in 2019.
Within that article, a throwback to 2009 is offered, in which FMRI was said to "potentially show what a human being is thinking."  Potentially, not absolute, therefore, just theory.

Well, the article says test subjects were told to think about gossip, spirituality, and a screwdriver, then "read" the FMRI scan, saying, effectively, see, they're thinking about gossip, and spirituality, and a screwdriver. However, if the subjects had not been told, prior to the scan, what to think about, would they know what the thinking was? Apparently, not.

After all your hype, and 60 Minutes, the conclusion of the 2019 reference? When asked by Stahl if out thoughts were truly no longer our own, the guest said, "I think it will be technically impossible to invade peoples' thoughts." Still no more than potential, and perhaps a little less.

Oops. What a load of of a strawman; your favorite word, which you succumb to, yourself.

Meanwhile, would you like to review what I've offered as source material to support my argument?

I thought not.

I know you said you do not typically cite sources in Forum, but maybe it wouldn't hurt your argument to do so, because trhis doesn't cut it. Maybe you should be certain your source supports your argument rather than concluding it doesn't fly. At least, not yet.

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Ramshutu
I'll note for the record that my brother is a radiologist, and reads these scans all the time. I note in your source that only one example of a scan was offered of someone thinking about gossip, spirituality, and a screwdriver. Do you think the scans of other test subjects would be identical to these? As it happens, according to my brother, no, they are not identical. Peoples' thoughts truly are their own, individually. Professionals are able to see trends that allow them to diagnose properly, but if it were truly that easy as demonstrated by 60 Minutes' guests, a burger-flipper should be able to read and diagnose these scans. Nope, takes a professional.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@949havoc
Yes, let's. For example, though you have claimed to have offered scholastic sourcing to support your determinism, I find in review of this thread that you have addressed me on 22 posts, only one of which has a cited reference, and that referring to the CBS show, "60 Minutes," with Leslie Stahl reporting on FMRI "mind reading" in 2019.
Within that article, a throwback to 2009 is offered, in which FMRI was said to "potentially show what a human being is thinking."  Potentially, not absolute, therefore, just theory.

Well, the article says test subjects were told to think about gossip, spirituality, and a screwdriver, then "read" the FMRI scan, saying, effectively, see, they're thinking about gossip, and spirituality, and a screwdriver. However, if the subjects had not been told, prior to the scan, what to think about, would they know what the thinking was? Apparently, not.

After all your hype, and 60 Minutes, the conclusion of the 2019 reference? When asked by Stahl if out thoughts were truly no longer our own, the guest said, "I think it will be technically impossible to invade peoples' thoughts." Still no more than potential, and perhaps a little less.

Oops. What a load of of a strawman; your favorite word, which you succumb to, yourself.

Meanwhile, would you like to review what I've offered as source material to support my argument?

I thought not.

I know you said you do not typically cite sources in Forum, but maybe it wouldn't hurt your argument to do so, because trhis doesn't cut it. Maybe you should be certain your source supports your argument rather than concluding it doesn't fly. At least, not yet.

“Let’s first start by pointing out that you absolutely no evidence, argument or justification for this claim - it’s completely made up, as there is absolutely no direct or indirect evidence that anything non physical happens in your brain, or can even exist. ”
In no particular order:

Nothing in your reply - at all - whatsoever justifies or is evidence for your claim of a magic thinky force. At best you are making an argument from ignorance - that my inability to fundamentally prove the brain is solely physical proves you correct: this is bad logic as I explained in the post you just ignored:

I can’t prove that your brain does not have some hidden, thinky magic force that is non physical and acts as some force for free will. This is proving a negative; it’s not possible. You often suggest or imply that we need to disprove this; unfortunately as stated this is shifting the burden of proof

You’re also continuing to  misrepresent the nature and purpose of my argument; and how I used this source. I cover this in detail in the post you just ignored.

The key to my argument: is whether thought is the product of something physical, or is a hidden magic thinky force. There are indeed experiments with fMRI that I shared where a machine can work out the thing you are thinking about - conflating thought and thought process at this stage is just arbitrary question begging at this stage - but the crucial aspect is that your thinking and decision making is both impacted by physical changes to your brain; and readable through it.

You’re coming at this like an apologist - how can I explain this data in a way that my opinion can still be correct. I am coming at this like a scientists - what does the physical nature of the brain indicate? 

Indeed, these points offer potential for falsification - if neither of the above things were true it would help prove you right.

So in this respect, all these physical aspects and outcomes of the brain help establish the substantial credibility of arguing that there is no hidden magic thinky force - because the brain behaves as one would expect if there was none.

And to this objection, you effectively just continually parrot that I’m wrong because there is definitely a hidden magic force. Begging the question
This summarize the issue with the characterization you are still making.

Moving on, you suggest.

When asked by Stahl if out thoughts were truly no longer our own, the guest said, "I think it will be technically impossible to invade peoples' thoughts." Still no more than potential, and perhaps a little less.
But that’s the complete opposite of what the guest actually said, which was:

Lesley Stahl: Will it ever be possible to read someone's thoughts precisely?

Marcel Just: The thoughts are there precisely, if you could just get close enough to the electrical activity. 
Lesley Stahl: You think one day we'll figure out how to do that.

Marcel Just: Yes. 

Lesley Stahl: Which means that we'll never be able to have-- our thoughts completely secure within ourselves.

Marcel Just: I think it will be technologically possible to invade people's thoughts. But it's-- it's our societal obligation to make sure that never happens.
The source says the exact opposite of what you said they did.

As for your broad statements about your own sources: please refer to the following portions of the posts above that you ignored, these cover the issues with your source argument  in fair detail.

The one you shared recently:

The blog post is effectively pointing out that we don’t really know what a thought is; and as a result we don’t know how to measure it. Given that I’m not suggesting we know what a thought is, or suggesting that we can directly measure thinking (as opposed to indirectly measuring it, which we can), your claim that I’m confused about it is a bit of a straw man as if misrepresents what I’m saying.

The blog post is, in no way, suggesting that thoughts aren’t the product of physical processes, or are the manifestation of magic thinky force - only drawing that specific distinction - which I mostly agree with. So as before, you share a link that doesn’t really affirm your position at all.
Your usage of sources in general:

anyone is able to link a source of note; the trick is for it to be able to justify the argument you’re making. The only sources you’ve shared that I recall relate to brain chemistry: where you conflated “chemistry” as in the unique chemical composition of all our brains - which differs slightly between individuals - and “chemistry” as in the various laws of chemistry that describe the interaction of chemicals. Other than foot stamping; and, if I recall, not much else.

In this regard; your ability to copy and paste someone else’s opinion, is largely immaterial when one has no ability to apply it logically or correctly to an argument someone is making.

You complain about my lack of sources; as I pointed out before:

Feel free to link me the post where I argue for determinism that you feel I provided no justification: I will be more than happy to re-quote it, and list the nature of my argument where I justify my argument, and explain why. Without any specifics at all, it’s hard to comment.

This is just intellectually lazy; making broad claims without any real example or justification - at least when I tell you your begging the question I explain how - you can see that above. It’s actually the verbosity that provides that justification - I suspect you just tune out arguments.

Secondly; if you feel any of my statements of fact about reality are not factual; I will be happy to offer citations - I tend not to; because most uncontroversial statements do not need source material unless contested. Nothing I’ve said should be controversial - physical things operate by rules, those rules are repeatable, our brains appear to be physical things affected by physical events - everything else is just logic. Again, without specifics of what you claim is false - it’s hard to comment.
A broad “everything you say is wrong”, is just petulant and intellectually lazy. If you have something specific you take issue with, I’ll be happy to. The reason I don’t normally: is covered at the very end; most of my facts are uncontraversial - my conclusion is based on logical examination of them.

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@949havoc
I'll note for the record that my brother is a radiologist, and reads these scans all the time. I note in your source that only one example of a scan was offered of someone thinking about gossip, spirituality, and a screwdriver. Do you think the scans of other test subjects would be identical to these? As it happens, according to my brother, no, they are not identical. Peoples' thoughts truly are their own, individually. Professionals are able to see trends that allow them to diagnose properly, but if it were truly that easy as demonstrated by 60 Minutes' guests, a burger-flipper should be able to read and diagnose these scans. Nope, takes a professional.
Nothing you said here supports your position: nor does it oppose how I’m using the study, or what I’m arguing for - as outlined above.

What you cite as an objection to my position, is really an objection to a mischaracterization of my position.

Nothing I’ve said requires or implies everyone’s thoughts to be identical: it’s more that there is no reason to expect thoughts would be readable to any degree of the mind is purely non-physical.

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Ramshutu
Two posts, one verbose in the extreme, and, therefore, TLDR, frankly, that both display an utter ignorance of additional styles of argument, traditional in debate, but informal and still a feature in a public forum. I speak of a secondary method of argument: the rebuttal, in which the form is one of discrediting another's direct argument rather than argument in support of one's own position. Simply put, I'm attacking your argument of the alleged ability to "read" peoples' thoughts as evidence that determinism guides thought, not free will. I have demonstrated that your own source debunked the notion of detailed thought-reading at all, whether or not any particular "force" is at work. Since this is your only cited reference in support of your determinism, I declare it a failed argument, becuase everything else you have offered, including the base theory of quantum physics of particles, forces, fields...

Rebuttal, my friend, has a place even in informal forum discussion.

I repeat an earlier statement from my #18:
You have offered all but the most pertinent activity; the decision process, alone, once the review of all factors considered is complete, and which certainly has physical, measurable attributes, but the measure of those attributes does not include an exact measure of the processes' resulting action, else one would not be able to display a repeated experience-stimulation with a varied pattern of resulting action, which humans demonstrate all the time. And, the fact is, by those measurement techniques, the data collected, alone, does not indicate with any accuracy what decisive action will be rendered. The physical, organic process you outline simple does not include an outline of the decision made; that must wait for observation of  the individual's action. We can measure that thinking/decision processes are in play, but not the decision, itself.
And my #58:
Show me how thought is a physical entity. Just show me. 
So far, these challenges have failed to be met.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@949havoc
Two posts, one verbose in the extreme, and, therefore, TLDR,
Making claims - and then unilaterally dismissing the response without reading it is intellectually dishonest. 

frankly, that both display an utter ignorance of additional styles of argument
How, specifically?

traditional in debate, but informal and still a feature in a public forum.
Why do you say this, specifically?

I speak of a secondary method of argument: the rebuttal, in which the form is one of discrediting another's direct argument rather than argument in support of one's own position. Simply put, I'm attacking your argument of the alleged ability to "read" peoples' thoughts as evidence that determinism guides thought, not free will. I have demonstrated that your own source debunked the notion of detailed thought-reading at all, whether or not any particular "force" is at work. Since this is your only cited reference in support of your determinism,
Note: that you still seem to be talking about bland generalizations: without any specifics.

I’ve pretty thoroughly addressed this in the posts above. Your response is a mischaracterization of my argument; as yet you have not contested any of my factual claims; and you have not actually demonstrated anything - you’re just misrepresenting your sources; and portraying your own mischaracterizations as failures of my argument: and then arbitrarily declaring they prove your point - though you won’t say how or why

At this point, there’s not really much I can do is there? You’ve said a bunch of nonsense. I could just refute it again - but you’ve already told me you’re going to ignore what I’m going to say.

I declare it a failed argument, becuase everything else you have offered, including the base theory of quantum physics of particles, forces, fields...
It’s very easy to declare an argument is failed when you openly admit you haven’t even read the argument.

And btw - does any picture Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy when they read this line?

I repeat an earlier statement from my #18:

And my #58:
Yeah - this is covered pretty specifically in my argument above. You’re begging the question, making an argument from ignorance and shifting the burden of proof.

So far, these challenges have failed to be met.
Actually yes they have; it’s includes in my post above. The issue is that you have simply ignored the response as tldr.

Frankly; it appears fairly clear that you’ve given up any pretence of actually arguing against me; and ignoring everything I’ve said.

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Ramshutu
ignoring everything I’ve said.
The most valid statement made in that excessive verbosity. A fitting conclusion.
That you do not acknowledge the very clear difference between direct argument and rebuttal sufficiently ends any further need to say anything more.
That you continue to argue for a theory that, frankly, implies limited potential of human imagination by your physics laws, which are not immutable, sufficiently ends any further need to say anything more.
That you, by adherence to a limiting theory, cannot see that you argue for limitations, and that they are yours, sufficiently ends any further need to say anything more.

"Merely this and nothing more,
Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore.'"
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@949havoc
The most valid statement made in that excessive verbosity. A fitting conclusion.

That you do not acknowledge the very clear difference between direct argument and rebuttal sufficiently ends any further need to say anything more

That you continue to argue for a theory that, frankly, implies limited potential of human imagination by your physics laws, which are not immutable, sufficiently ends any further need to say anything more

That you, by adherence to a limiting theory, cannot see that you argue for limitations, and that they are yours, sufficiently ends any further need to say anything more.

"Merely this and nothing more,
Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore.'"
If you ignore every single last thing that shows that you’re wrong, of course you’re going to be convinced you’re right.

At this point I’ve covered everything you’ve said, and you’ve acknowledged that you’re arguing dishonestly; I’ll just continue to post the detail  anyone who is actually interested in an actual discussion.

949havoc
949havoc
Anyone with an open mind may read the forgoing posts and judge whether, as  Ram charges, that I have argued dishonestly, or have merely offered a conflicting opinion to his regarding my assessment of free will's superior ability, and Ram's assessment of determinism. Opposition is not the equivalent of dishonesty, much as Ram argues that it must be since I disagree with his assessment. 
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@949havoc
It’s pretty straight forward: if you disagree with someone, criticize their position - and then deliberately ignore everything they say in response - and go on to simply repeat the same criticisms: no rational person would consider you to be arguing in good faith.

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@949havoc
Opposition is not the equivalent of dishonesty, much as Ram argues that it must be since I disagree with his assessment. 
Just to be specific, however: I am not calling you dishonest because you disagree. I am calling you dishonest because:

• You repeatedly drop large chunks of relevant discussion out of replies and responses; focusing mainly on cherry picked sub elements that leave out most of the key context
  • Ignore or dismiss entire  posts, and comprehensive arguments for nebulous reasons.
  • Make broad and generic claims about your opponents argument - but repeatedly refuse to offer specific objections to the underlying claims being made.
  • Argue as if the portions of the replies you have ignored don’t even exist; and continue to make or restate the arguments that have been repeatedly challenged and debunked.
  • Repeatedly fail to address key and major fundamental issues that have been raised about your central arguments.
  • Continue to repeatedly mischaracterize peoples arguments even after being corrected multiple times (and without defending the characterization)

Honest disagreement generally works as follows
  1. Both side makes claim(s) and/or attacks the other claim(s)
  2. Each side counters the criticism being levelled, and defends the validity of their attacks.
  3. The cycle continues of attack and defence. Defending your position against criticism, and defending your criticism of the other claims.
You’re approach, however is.

1. Both side makes claim(s) and/or attacks the other claim(s)
  2. Your opponent counters the criticism being levelled, and defends the validity of their attacks.
  3. You ignore your opponents arguments, find some minor detail, and respond to that one detail; or simply declare that your opponent is wrong, or that you will not read the argument.
  4. Your opponent continues to counter the criticism with an argument.
  5. You restate the claims in (1) that your opponent has already addressed.