Blue moon, and the failure of determinism

Author: 949havoc

Total: 196
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@949havoc
Oh, but, no, you may think, he offered two options: life or death. And I respond: just so, but, then, what does he turn to? A walk in the park? A rendezvous with Ophelia? Her prayers, he concludes, contain all his sins. Or, is it another heart-to-heart with his father’s ghost? No, he sleeps, he dreams; meaning… other options than just two… and what, then, but free will’s justification of imagination over what would else be determined for him?
The question is rhetorical.

Even perhaps darkly humorous.

Hamlet will die no matter what.

Just like you.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RationalMadman
you just admitted to being proud of arguing in bad faith and fusing falsehood with genuine historical fact...
impressive
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Reece101
Can you please explain how you’re getting finite knowledge from determinism? Determinism describes a process. That’s it. It doesn’t say anything about all of existence. It’s as if you’re treating determinism as an apposing religion. 
Well stated.
949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@3RU7AL
Hamlet will die no matter what.
Yes, as will I, and all of us. However, we necessarily reduce, or expand the means by which death comes to pass. I am pretty certain I have eliminated death by falling from an airplane due to a failed parachute because I have never worn one, and plan never to do so. Many other examples of the myriad ways to die that are possible due to my decisions to avoid those circumstances. Hamlet made choices, too. One of them ended his life, by association with the wrong people.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@949havoc
i know multiple people who have attempted and failed to commit suicide.

so.

i'm not sure your logic holds water.
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@3RU7AL
Some people are unable to overcome their natural instinct for survival, even when they think they have willed to off themselves. Having agency does not guarantee one will succeed in acting on their agency.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Failure to commit suicide is attention seeking.

A person with real suicidal  intentions will usually succeed.
949havoc
949havoc
I thought I had said all I intended to say on the subject of man’s free will, but a suggestion by one of you pertaining to another Forum thread that connects in this regard. I had forgotten the thrust of why I believe the concept of free will over determinism, at least beyond the core of my belief in it which ‘I’ve already expressed: that there is purpose to free agency unlike it’s opposite. Though no one has said determinism is purposeless, the entire idea seems to lack purpose at all; it just is, or, rather, is alleged to be just the way things are.

The suggestion had reference to the dichotomy of people on this site relative to belief in God, and not believing, and that it seems the numbers of non-believers exceeds the believers. I believe this.

Here’s how that ties to my argument for free will, and it has everything to do with purpose. The primary reason for free will is to choose to accept Jesus Christ, his divine fathership and mortal motherhood, and the glorious atonement he suffered for our benefit to overcome our weakness in sun by repentance, out suffering at the hands of oppressors, our pains of life, and our sorrows in loss. All of these limitations are removed from us, ultimately, in accordance with our choice to accept Christ, and live in joy, or reject him and die in misery.

Sounds like an easy choice when couched in these terms, life and joy, or death and misery. Who would not choose Christ, and his declaration, “I am the life and the light.” The fact is, some us do just that, and we who have find determinism to be nothing but limitation imposed on us, whereas freedom of choice by virtue of the great gift of the atonement, leads us to joy in this life, and anticipation of the next. The difference is a recognition, by our will to do so, of a personal Savior and Redeemer, or the impersonal limitation of thinking the universe imposes its will on us by messing with our brain chemistry by its particles, fields, waves, and forces.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Failure to commit suicide is attention seeking.

A person with real suicidal  intentions will usually succeed.
I'm pretty certain you can only speak for yourself.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Nope.

Never been an attention seeker, nor committed suicide.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Nope.

Never been an attention seeker, nor committed suicide.
Posting your thoughts on the internet is, by definition, attention seeking.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Looked it up and couldn't find that particular definition.

By definition, responding is responsive.

And a plea to the emotions like threatening to commit suicide, is attention seeking.

People who make positive decisions, will commit suicide and won't make a song and dance about it.

Of course.......One persons positive is another persons negative.....So to speak.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
(IFF) you didn't need attention from others (THEN) you would not bother to communicate with others
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Well.

One neither needs nor wants attention.

But enjoys interaction with others.

And also enjoys moments of solitude too.

Whereas:

Attention seeking is a recognised expression, that describes those that do need and want attention.

As well you should know.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
humans are social animals
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Well.  Human animals  probably have an instinctive need to be gregarious.

Though a highly developed, conceptually driven social culture, often prevents the expression of natural behaviour.

Hence why people seek attention...Sometimes dramatically.

Also, probably has a lot to do with people who choose to commit suicide.