Work is like a sandwich

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 198
Fruit_Inspector
Debates: 20
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@secularmerlin
Everything you are saying is solely trying to make a comparison without actually making a point. I did not ask which system is preferable. I'm trying to figure out how the dirty work is going to get done if we solely have to rely on intrinsic motivation and peer pressure after eliminating the option of compensating people for it.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
No such obligation exists now. What if no one wants a job doing dirty work? What if you cannot pay them enough to do it? How would you force them too if the money you can afford to offer isn't enough? I don't think I have any problems you don't also have to contend with.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@secularmerlin
No such obligation exists now. What if no one wants a job doing dirty work? What if you cannot pay them enough to do it? How would you force them too if the money you can afford to offer isn't enough? I don't think I have any problems you don't also have to contend with.
Because the option to compensate them is still possible. That is an actual incentive. The compensation does not even have to be money. There is incentive to do something undesirable besides intrinsic motivation or peer pressure.

You have eliminated the compensation incentive to do dirty work, so you are left relying solely on intrinsic motivation and peer pressure. And it is all too easy for an individual to refuse to do dirty work by letting a more responsible individual do it.

Going back to what I illustrated before:

I don't want to do any dirty work. I simply want to have my needs provided and pursue my passions unhindered. Your social shaming is not a bother to me, and I am not the only one who feels this way. Are you (and possibly some other more responsible individuals) going to do the dirty work for our community out of your sense of duty while we enjoy our leisure?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Because the option to compensate them is still possible. 
So what? What if it isn't enough and no one wants to do it? What if everyone decides to get a small buisness loan and go into buisness for themselves and no one is willing to pump sewage for the wages you are offering?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
pursue my passions unhindered. 
Why would you he afforded the chance to pursue your passions if you won't even take care of yourself? Your passions are not covered in your basic needs. If just not starving or freezing to death is enough for you that fine but you don't get anything else. Why would you? I can't believe I didn't see this in your previous posts. No. No passion projects until you grow up. Your basic needs are provided for. No one is obligated to give you more even if we are unwilling to let you die for your immature attitude.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@secularmerlin
Your passions are not covered in your basic needs. If just not starving or freezing to death is enough for you that fine but you don't get anything else.
So just because you work harder and do the dirty work that I don't want to do, you get more than me? That hardly seems fair! Why should the amount of resources I get be based on how much I work?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
To each by their need. From each by their ability. You don't need your personal passion projects any more than Jeff Bazos needed to go to space. Also I am disinterested in being fair if it is a choice between fairness and human wellbeing. 

Still if we must use some yardstick how hard you work and how unpleasant and necessary the work is a better one than how much wealth you possess for determining who deserves what.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@secularmerlin
So just to be clear, the amount of resources I get is based on how hard I work and the type of work I am willing to do.

The harder I work, the more resources I can acquire in order to do the things I want (such as pursuing my passions). 

There is such a thing as undesirable - or "unpleasant" - work that we take into account when deciding how we distribute resources to those who choose to do this type of work.

Those unwilling to work will only receive enough resources to meet their most basic needs. People must be willing to work if they want to earn more money...err, I mean resources...than that bare minimum.

I could maybe go for a system that functions like this.
BigPimpDaddy
Debates: 5
BigPimpDaddy
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
what of people that cant work (disabled, etc)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
So just to be clear, the amount of resources I get is based on how hard I work and the type of work I am willing to do.
No. It is based primarily upon your need... but how hard you work and what kind of work is a better yard stick than how much wealth you have. In any case teachers and nurses certainly deserve more than CEOs, bankers and landlords who produce nothing and feed off the labor of others like vampires.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@BigPimpDaddy
To each by their need.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@secularmerlin
No. It is based primarily upon your need... but how hard you work and what kind of work is a better yard stick than how much wealth you have.
To each according to their need. And the harder you work, the greater your "need."
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
And the harder you work, the greater your "need."
This does not logically follow.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@secularmerlin
And the harder you work, the greater your "need."
This does not logically follow.
You are absolutely right.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@BigPimpDaddy
Do you mean in secularmerlin's fantasy land, or in the real world?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Do you mean in secularmerlin's fantasy land, or in the real world?
Well let's see. In the real world the disabled and the mentally I'll often end up homeless or mistreated for lack of funds. They are unable to work as efficiently and so ate less profitable to exploit and so are often seen as less valuable by the wealthy one percent that set executive policy  
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@secularmerlin
You still have to figure out the logical inconsistency of how we can distribute resources "based primarily upon your need" but also based on "how hard you work and what kind of work" you do. (See your post #70)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
You still have to figure out the logical inconsistency of how we can distribute resources "based primarily upon your need" but also based on "how hard you work and what kind of work" you do. (See your post #70)
It is need that determines who gets what first. You don't need your passion projects though. To gain the respect necessary to get additional resources you will have to prove you care about more than just yourself. I guess work isn't really involved at all except that working for the common good especially doing dirty, unpleasant and difficult work is a good way to prove you care. I think your humanitarianism is what should get you extras. So the opposite of the capitalist system where only greed is rewarded. If you stop thinking about only yourself we can talk about this passion project.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@secularmerlin
Are you telling me that I have to do dirty work that I don't want to do, or else I don't get anything other than the bare minimum to survive? Do you only value me for my humanitarian labor?!?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
I'm actually working this out as I go and you are helping. You are not guaranteed anything you don't strictly need for survival and especially if you refuse to do work that benefits others.
Conway
Conway
-->
@secularmerlin
That's probably because I was answering a question as to why people need to be employed, not trying to justify employment.  
What's the difference?  If employment cannot even be justified you can hardly claim that it is necessary.  On what grounds do you engage in this hair splitting.
You asked why people need to be employed, and I felt like answering the question.  That's just the way it is.

The difference between a need and a justification... 

In the course of a robbery a guard pulls his flashlight and starts beating the hell out of an armed robber before they can hurt a bystander.  In order to avoid severe bodily injury, they protect themselves out of necessity and severely injure the guard in return until the threat has ceased.  Is this behavior just?  Some people may very well say, "no".  Morally, no matter how realistic and dire the need there was no point where the robber would be in the right to be wielding a weapon throughout the course of this event, let alone using it with such force.   

If employment cannot even be justified you can hardly claim that it is necessary.
I had kind of had a difficult time relating to this statement.  Taken at face value that seemed a surprisingly faithful remark for someone who claims not to believe in the basis of reality.  Upon further consideration I think that employment is more of a political thing to you than it is to me.  To me it's just considering a business arrangement, but to a Marxist it's almost as though employment is an extension of feudal Germany. 

I am unaware of any other way to become truly wealthy.
Lay a claim to land, work it, and build a cabin.   

Produce something valuable and exchange it for something else that retains value.  

Lay claim how exactly? Sorry it seems like you are oversimplifying here.

You just claim that you are in the right to work the land.  It's really that simple, but it would make sense to keep some proof in case anyone were to dispute you.

Sorry but I don't understand what is to keep your claim from being challenged. 
Well a claim might be challenged by another claim or it might not.  It seems obvious that challenging a claim is a matter of discretion.  
How is the dispute settled then? Might makes right?
A dispute could be settled through concession or if the relevant parties decide to compromise, coming to an agreement.  It might be nullified if the claimant just up and left.

Righteousness means to be in accordance with the higher truth. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
If employment cannot even be justified you can hardly claim that it is necessary.
I had kind of a difficult time relating to this statement.  
That something were necessary would be a justification. Something you cannot even justify having happen is defacto unnecessary. 
A dispute could be settled through concession or if the relevant parties decide to compromise, coming to an agreement.  It might be nullified if the claimant just up and left.
And what if neither party is willing to concede or compromise?
Conway
Conway
-->
@secularmerlin
I had kind of a difficult time relating to this statement.  
That something were necessary would be a justification. Something you cannot even justify having happen is defacto unnecessary. 
One can both justify something that you consider unnecessary, and consider something necessary which you cannot justify.

And what if neither party is willing to concede or compromise?
Then the dispute wouldn't be settled by either party.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@secularmerlin
I'm actually working this out as I go and you are helping.
Well so far, we seem to have a system where people go to work so that they can earn respect,  which is useful for acquiring resources. And a person can earn more respect based on how hard they work and the type of work they do. And the amount of additional resources they can acquire correlates to how much respect they have. Thus, there is motivation to accumulate as much respect as one can.

It seems you still have a meritocracy with undesirable work. You have just changed the type of work that is now valuable to society (humanitarian), the form of currency people labor for (respect), and I assume the total wealth (accumulation of respect) one can have.

It should be noted that if one does not find fulfillment in humanitarian work, greed for additional resources will be their motivation for participation in the new humanitarian labor force. And most people probably don't find pumping sewage for the good of society to be all that fulfilling. There might be some joy in knowing they helped, but they're also doing it for the respect so they can get more stuff.

You can't change human nature through economics. As long as humans are involved, you will always have greed and exploitation.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Well so far, we seem to have a system where people go to work so that they can earn respect
Not exactly. Everyone should get respect and their basic necessities. Really I think you are making this more complicated than it has to be. I seriously doubt we would not do the work we must for the species to survive. Survival is actually what we are working for. Survival and the betterment of the human condition.
As long as humans are involved, you will always have greed and exploitation.
I fear you are right but I don't think that means we shouldn't strive to improve. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Conway
One can both justify something that you consider unnecessary, and consider something necessary which you cannot justify.
Then I'm not sure we are using the words in the same way. For me something necessary is defacto justified by virtue of its necessity. 
So who gets to settle on the land then?
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@secularmerlin
Really I think you are making this more complicated than it has to be.
You are the revolutionary who wants to completely upheave society as we know it. And I'm not just saying that to use inflammatory rhetoric. I say that because you need to justify how this system is going to work, not just hypothetically compare aspects of it to something else. The operation of a society is an utterly complex endeavor. It's not something that you just figure out as you go.

On an intellectual level, I can appreciate you seeking a society that is focused on the wellbeing of humanity. But if you haven't even got the fundamental details worked out on how things will operate because that is "making it more complicated than it has to be," I would ask you to consider working those details out before putting other revolutionaries in power.

Because if you are wrong, and things don't just work themselves out how you hope they will, it can have catastrophic consequences for the wellbeing of humanity.
Conway
Conway
-->
@secularmerlin
Then I'm not sure we are using the words in the same way. For me something necessary is defacto justified by virtue of its necessity. 
For elaboration on substantial difference between the terms, you could see the top of post #81.  Definitions are provided.

The difference between a need and a justification... 

In the course of a robbery a guard pulls his flashlight and starts beating the hell out of an armed robber before they can hurt a bystander.  In order to avoid severe bodily injury, they protect themselves out of necessity and severely injure the guard in return until the threat has ceased.  Is this behavior just?  Some people may very well say, "no".  Morally, no matter how realistic and dire the need there was no point where the robber would be in the right to be wielding a weapon throughout the course of this event, let alone using it with such force.   

So who gets to settle on the land then?
Whoever uses the land and doesn't leave is settled on it.  It may happen that one or none or all relevant parties use the land and continue to dispute the claim.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
You are the revolutionary who wants to completely upheave society as we know it. 
Oh no absolutely not. I am far too comfortable and selfishly hope the status quo is maintained until my death. That doesn't make me a good person or a good revolutionary but it would take a revolution to change things and exploitation is likely to be included in the new model anyway. At any rate historically speaking exploitation is a far more likely model for humans to adopt than egalitarianism. 
On an intellectual level, I can appreciate you seeking a society that is focused on the wellbeing of humanity.
Well that's all this is under the circumstance of compulsory acquiescence to participate in capitalism and the implicit acceptance of the suffering of my fellow humans that I find myself in. Do you know I ruin at least a gallon of potable water a day just washing and relieving myself? Something the most ruthless dessert warlord or third world dictator would be appalled by the evil of. It is just how I am expected to live. How the monkeys who came before lived.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
For elaboration on substantial difference between the terms, you could see the top of post #81.  Definitions are provided.
Your saying that the guard must necessarily use his gun in self defense but that his actions are not justified? If I were trying the case I would ask you which one you actually mean. Not all things that can be justified are necessary but necessarily all things that are necessary must also be justified. I don't get the disconnect here.