Would You Join This Religion?

Author: Reece101

Total: 167
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Marriage is a contract between two people and the state. It seems to me that if you can have a company with multiple owners then you should be have able to have a marriage with multiple partners. The issue becomes parents and children especially when you have a biological father and a biological mother and then maybe a non-biological father, mother, mother and father say.  I've seen how screwed step parents get in divorce court because there's no biological tie to the children. If you can figure that part out the multiple marriages should not be an issue.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I think any atheist posting in this form pretending to be a Christian should be banned. Same if any theist  posts as an atheist and do these s*** posts.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Every Christian essentially pretends to be a Christian.

Just as all theists essentially pretend to be theists.

Of course, in terms  of spirituality and it's hypothetical derivatives, atheists do not need to pretend.

Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@zedvictor4
So your assertion is that everyone who believes in deities is merely pretending to believe in them?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Castin

I think Zed is saying that people who believe in deities are using the same logic they used when they believed in Santa Claus.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
He believes all theists are liars. Or mentally ill let's not forget that one that's the favorite. Not sure what Santa Claus has to do with it because Santa Claus is a lie that most parents tell their kids including atheist so good for you guys too.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@FLRW
I think Zed is saying that people who believe in deities are using the same logic they used when they believed in Santa Claus.
If that is true, why is it that most people teach their kids about santa claus and get upset when someone tells their children, Santa is not true.

And why is that most atheists don't teach their children about God and then gets upset when someone tells their children, God is true.

I actually find the alleged link between God and Santa Clause amusing.

Many people today - think and practice the idea that we should not let children know anything about God. We should wait until they are old enough and then let them make up their own mind. And more than that - many of these people insist to tell children before they are old enough is child abuse.  Imagine if people did the same thing with Santa Claus. I imagine Santa would die a slow demise.  That is what happens to fairy tales.  But because people don't really link God with Santa - because they are VERY DIFFERENT KINDS of logic, parents will continue to lie to children about Santa. And Atheists will continue to deny the truth to their children about God.  The proof is in the pudding.  

The interesting thing - is that many people raised in Atheistic homes become Christians once they learn about God. I can't think of one example where someone suddenly starts believing in Santa. But hey don't let the facts get in the road of a bad logic puzzle 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Castin
Pretence.

1. An attempt to make something that is not the case appear true.

Synonyms: Make-believe, act.

Gods and Father Christmas fit the definition perfectly.

Santa Claus is a lie that most parents tell their kids.
Well, let's be honest Poly....Santa is a folk tale that parents tell to their kids....Rather like the story of Jesus.

Both purported to be based upon real people....St Nicholas, a fourth century Christian Bishop......And J....The son of the wife of an itinerant Middle Eastern carpenter.

Both with plausible origins.....Though over the years they have become embellished with all sorts of fantastic add-ons.

Lie.
Just like a lot of words and phrases that you have a tendency to exploit for the purposes of dramatic effect Poly.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
@FLRW
FLRW wrote: I think Zed is saying that people who believe in deities are using the same logic they used when they believed in Santa Claus.
" Tradey " wrote: If that is true, why is it that most people teach their kids about santa claus and get upset when someone tells their children, Santa is not true.

Because it isn't true is it you clown, hence the deceit has been exposed. And most children usually work it out FOR THEMSELVES by the age of 6-7 too.  How old do YOU have to be before you work out  that you have been deceived, Reverend "Tradey"?😮

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
For anyone that thinks that telling your children that a man brings them gifts and leaves them under a tree is a outright lie, it is. Doesn't matter if you're an atheist or Christian or a Muslim or Hindu or whatever if you tell your kid that Santa Claus bring some gifts you lie to your children. I've never told my child the story of Santa or the story of Jesus or the story of any of the gods that I work with. Because my religion is my personal experience I don't "witness" to my kid or my husband or anyone else. I do engage with people that ask legitimate questions and legitimately want to know what's going on in my spiritual practice.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Everyone,  as you read Steven's post please remember he subscribes to ancient alienism.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I've never told my child the story of Santa or the story of Jesus or the story of any of the gods that I work with.
Wait, hold on..?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Reece101
Which part confused you?
FLRW
FLRW
Religion may once have been the opium of the people, but in large swaths of the world the masses have kicked the habit. In countries once dominated by churches characterised by patriarchy, ritual and hierarchy, the pews have emptied and people have found other sources of solace, spirituality and morality.
In the US, those who say they are atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” is up from 17% in 2009 to 26% last year. In Britain, according to the most recent data, more than half the population proclaimed no faith in 2018, a figure that rose from 43% to 52% in a decade. -Harriet Sherwood

It is interesting to note that 26 percent of the US population has an IQ over 110.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
. I've never told my child the story of Santa or the story of Jesus or the story of any of the gods that I work with. 

"work with"? How do you manage that then , Witch? 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Stephen
It's a pretty common word used by pagans and polytheists. It's pretty much what the word means. You do work in relation to a god or goddess. Work would involve ritual, offerings and actual physical labor or work. It could be doing something like conservation work for Artemis. Military work for Odin or Freya. Picking up litter for Gaia. These really aren't hard concepts to grasp. I realize it's hard for you because the ancient aliens are gone now and you really can't do anything with them. Makes the concept seem odd. But even Christians are sometimes called to do work for Christ. This could be in working in a soup kitchen or volunteer at a hospital. I realized that atheist and people who aren't atheist but aren't religious whatever you are, think this or nothing but shallow pools of stupidity but we actually do do things that benefit other humans and sometimes those things are done in the name of a god or goddess. Thanks for such a genuine and concerned question, really appreciate it.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
It's a pretty common word used by pagans and polytheists. It's pretty much what the word means. You do work in relation to a god or goddess. Work would involve ritual, offerings and actual physical labor or work. It could be doing something like conservation work for Artemis. Military work for Odin or Freya. Picking up litter for Gaia. These really aren't hard concepts to grasp.

That is working for the community where I come from, Witch and highly commendable.

I realize it's hard for you because the ancient aliens are gone now and you really can't do anything with them.

Yeh, that is a bit of a bummer, that.

But even Christians are sometimes called to do work for Christ.

They are and that too is commendable. But you said " work with"  and not work for. That is why I asked you for clarity, Witch.

This could be in working in a soup kitchen or volunteer at a hospital. I realized that atheist and people who aren't atheist but aren't religious whatever you are, think this or nothing but shallow pools of stupidity

Nope. I have did a bit of work for free myself. And I don't believe there is anything "shallow" and certainly not "stupid" if you be atheist or theist. To do ` charity ` for charities sake and not for reward is much more beneficial to the human psyche, in my own opinion. It is rewarding in itself.

but we actually do do things that benefit other humans and sometimes those things are done in the name of a god or goddess.

Now I find that very interesting, Witch.  I have just started reading a book called- THE WOMAN WITH THE ALABASTER JAR.  It is about the search for the lost  and forgotten sacred feminine, "in the hope that it will help restore a healthy balance to planet Earth"  The intro claims  that the author "seeks to recover the long-suppressed, and not infrequently emotionally opposed feminine side of the Christian story".   It appears that the true role played by Mary Magdalene, the woman with the alabaster jar in scripture is a lot more interesting and goes a lot deeper than the Christian church will have us believe or wants us to know.

Sounds right up your street , Witch.  I shall keep you updated if you wish? 

Thanks for such a genuine and concerned question, really appreciate it.

And you are welcome, and thank you for your simple but informative response.
FLRW
FLRW

Remember when Stephen said: “I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.” ?

Oh, sorry, I meant Stephen Hawking.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@FLRW
 love it. 

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Stephen
Sounds right up your street , Witch.  I shall keep you updated if you wish? 
Sure. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I suppose that you're best referred to as alternative, Poly.

I would imagine that you have alternative kids too.

I'm actually wondering if you're confusing religion and theism with your own personally derived alternative ideology.

And Santa's just meant to be a bit of fun.

I suppose you never read your kids stories either, with them being so full of lies and misinformation.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Anybody here is free to assume whatever they want about me. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
As you constantly do about others Poly.

Sometimes not very nicely, it must be said.
Castin
Castin
-->
@zedvictor4
Pretence.

1. An attempt to make something that is not the case appear true.

Synonyms: Make-believe, act.

Gods and Father Christmas fit the definition perfectly.
I have been around theists all my life. I was born in a rural Protestant community, and I still live there. All my friends irl -- and not online -- are theists.

And I have to say that overwhelming experience has shown me that their belief in God is not a pretense.

There will always be professed theists who are merely imitating faith, who are only pretending because it's easier to go with the flow and conform. But to say that all theists or even most theists are pretending?

They derive the very meaning of their life, their self-identity, their place within the universe, from their god. They structure their lives and behavior around what they believe their god wants and declares to be righteous. They cling to their god in their lowest moments, they pray with the deepest and most sincere parts of themselves.

Politicians, by and large, are only maintaining the pretense of religiosity. They're putting on a show. But why? Because their constituents really are religious and really do believe. And they take advantage of it.

So I am left wondering -- why do you doubt that theists truly believe?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Castin
And I have to say that overwhelming experience has shown me that their belief in God is not a pretense.

In your experience, what do you think it is that has caused someone to believe with such unpretentious faith?
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
truth

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tradesecret
Please don’t trivialise truth. 

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
If it's not atheist truth it's a lie, lol. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Reece101
How have I trivialized truth? 
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tradesecret
Don’t play dumb. 

Yeah, you know what else is true, the dragon in my garage.