What makes an atheist obsessed with religion?

Author: janesix

Total: 188
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
So, you can't believe in the existence of Ultimate Reality?

keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
What I believe the ultimat reality to be does not resemble a god.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
Your conception of God is not The Ultimate Reality.

That is why you are confused.

But you believe in ultimate reality, so you believe in God.

Now it is just a matter of realization.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
If you were to say 'Money is God' then must I deny the existence of money?

I believe the ultimate truth is something like an ultra-fundamental physical law, something from which the laws of thermodynamics, quantum physics and space time all derive.   It is usually called a 'theory of everything'.

Why it is not a god is that it has no mind,just as the 2nd law of thermodynamics has no mind.   

God - it is said - so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

A 'theory of everything', a law of physics does not love, nor beget sons nor grant eternal life to those who believe in it - it only defines the charge on an electron and the strength of gravity.   Everything else is a consquence,  a playing out of what follows from that rule.

If you want you can call such a ToE my 'god' and say I am a believer - I can't stop you doing that, but I'll still call myself an atheist.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
Look dude, it's not an arbitrary thing. It is so much more simple than what you are making it.

The Ultimate Reality is what God means.

You believe a theory of everything is God.

Which by the way, is silly because a theory cannot be an ultimate reality as it is contingent on a theorizer, which is a mind.

But no, even though itnis clumsily formulated, you certainly believe in God, because you believe in Ultimate Reality, and that is what God means.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
You did exactly what i expected you to do, as predicted in the last line of my post.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
If you want to keep calling yourself an atheist though, you are closing yourself off from really ever understanding where I or my people are coming from.

And well, since you don't really understand, it won't make sense to you when I say that leads to tyranny.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
You calling yourself an atheist is an arbitrary thing, because you are not really an atheist.

Yet, in doing so, you fulfil the scripture that reads...

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen."