What makes an atheist obsessed with religion?

Author: janesix

Total: 188
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Ask him if he believes that theists live their lives governed by delusion and superstition,...

Of course I believe that.  I fail to see how an atheist can see theism as anything other than a delusion and superstition

However that doesn't mean I consider individual theists to be deluded or superstitious

i think theists are mistaken - I don't think they are idiots.

White man speak with forked tongue. My goodness you are dishonest!
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
I'd say Disgused has a huge heart for theists which is his 'motivation for sharing in these forums'.
It was this I wasn't sure you were being serious about.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Castin

Much appreciated. I've known you to be a well-meaning person and I can imagine what it must be like to be so constantly mocked and insulted. It would try anyone's patience. I didn't think what you said was a threat. I read it as "you'll get what's coming to you".

Well not even that, we all are going to get what is coming to us not just Disgusted. There is no conscious death and so we will all experience leaving the body and our actions dictate our future experiences. The hell comment was supposed to be separate from the leaving the body comment but I can see how they got twisted and so I do apologize for it coming across like I was saying he's going to hell that was not my intention even though reading back on it I can see how someone would think that, all in all I was mainly being silly.

My ticket would probably say hell, since I haven't accepted Jesus as my lord and savior. But I'll have to agree that one's expectations must not be too high when debating religion. Discussing religion can be a shitstorm and the internet can be a shitstorm; combining the two makes a mega shitstorm.

No, no no. See, this is a misconception and one of those ol pieces of baloney I can never change others from saying and thinking. There are more options that going to heaven or hell, it's not just one or the other. A person has to actually earn one or the other despite popular belief and despite what religion sells. If you don't make it to a heaven you will reincarnate either here or a place similar. You never have to fear that or believe that unless you live like a criminal and wish to abuse others. If you would like to understand this more just ask.

I hope you and jane patch things up btw, I was sad to see your falling out.

I love Jane, hope she really didn't mean that. We've known each other for a while now.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@keithprosser
I'd say Disgused has a huge heart for theists which is his 'motivation for sharing in these forums'. 

Uhh, no.

It pains him that theists live their lives governed by delusion and superstition, so perhaps you and he aren't so different; you're just recruiting for opposite sides. What Gus gets wrong is thinking theists can be brought to their senses by insulting them!  

You mean it pains him we exist. Please don't ever compare my heart to that guy, my heart for atheists is driven by love and no other motive. and always has been. It doesn't always come out that way, but it is true nonetheless. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@EtrnlVw
Kinda like Hitler's love for Jews. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ethang5
All the atheists believe it. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Lol, if Keith thinks Disgusted is motivated by love I'd hate to see his hate in action.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@EtrnlVw
They are basically the same person with different approaches. keith hates too, don't kid yourself. 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
It scares me to think what would happen if a guy like Disgusted fell in power, he expresses more contempt than anyone I've ever seen and he's been at it for as long as I've been on these forums. Sad really, sad that he really truly believes his own nonsense and probably justifies his scorning of others. Close-minded to the utmost, and that alone will prevent his spiritual growth. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@EtrnlVw
He isn't any worst then Gold or bully or Willow. There are some here just a bad but they choose to be passive aggressive more than aggressive. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
You are aware that Disgusted is Bulproof right?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@keithprosser
Of course I believe that.  I fail to see how an atheist can see theism as anything other than a delusion and superstition. 

Now I know what your problem is. Why would you ever close yourself off to such an important factor? do you leave any room at all for something that could be true that you may have not known or considered?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@EtrnlVw
I thought he was that one guy who I can't remember,   but I am not surprised they all have sock puppets.  
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Yep, Bulproof was Vegabond and Disgusted. Both which were banned lol.  
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@EtrnlVw
Lol, if Keith thinks Disgusted is motivated by love I'd hate to see his hate in action.

keith hates too, don't kid yourself.

You mean it pains him we exist.
So that is what theists really think of atheists...

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@EtrnlVw
Now I know what your problem is.
It's not a 'problem'!  

Why would you ever close yourself off to such an important factor? do you leave any room at all for something that could be true that you may have not known or considered?
That I my mind is closed in only in your imagination because in the real world my mind is open.   I am an atheist because of what i have learned upto today.   Hypothetically, i could discover something that changes my mind tomorrow, but that doesn't alter the fact that everything I currently know/believe points to atheism being correct. 

Are you prepared to say that you could discover something tomorrow that will end your faith in god?  If not, who is it whose mind is closed?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@keithprosser
Whenever you take the position that others are deluded you have barred yourself from access to something that could be true. You have predetermined that we are all deluded and as a result no matter what we share you will believe it's a delusion even if it is true. In this sense you have severely limited yourself. 
Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
If you were serious, then here we must disagree. I don't think gus had a "huge heart for theists" and to be honest I'm startled that you would even suggest it.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
You probably right that I am not very good at making psychological analyses and diagnoses of people I have never met based on internet posts.

I should take a leaf from our theist friends who have uncovered that I am hate filled, ignorant and superstitious - all things I never knew about myself.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@EtrnlVw

Whenever you take the position that others are deluded you have barred yourself from access to something that could be true. You have predetermined that we are all deluded and as a result no matter what we share you will believe it's a delusion even if it is true. In this sense you have severely limited yourself. 
That doesn't follow at all.

Currently, I believe god does not exist - ergo i believe theists believe something false, i.e. I believe theists are deluded.

but if i change my stance to believe that god does exist then automatically I will not consider belief in god to be a delusion nor theists to be deluded.

I suppose you don't wish to answer either of

Are you prepared to say that you could discover something tomorrow that will end your faith in god? 
If not, who is it whose mind is closed?
Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
You probably right that I am not very good at making psychological analyses and diagnoses of people I have never met based on internet posts.

I should take a leaf from our theist friends who have uncovered that I am hate filled, ignorant and superstitious - all things I never knew about myself.
I urge you to consider that simply because some theists are wrong about you does not mean all theists are wrong about gus.

It's very true that I did not come to know gus as a person. I don't know his life. I would be very wrong to make conclusive judgments about who he is. But I did come to know him as a poster.

My opinion (and it is only that) is that as a poster, gus was hooked on the stimulation he got from attacking his enemies with high-contempt, high-scorn posts. Occasionally, if I would confront him about this, he would clear his throat and straighten his tie and give me some excuse about how his wanton vitriol was designed to help theists and make the world a better place. This was, if you will excuse my language, complete fucking bullshit. Even if there was once a time where that truly was his goal -- and I'm not saying there wasn't -- he lost sight of it. Myself and others explained to him more than once why his tactics were making things worse, not better, and he never met our points or altered his behavior. Funny enough, the tactic he always considered to be right was the one that allowed him to keep being as nasty as he wanted.

And now I feel more than a little ashamed for talking ill about a fellow who isn't here, and must desist. I just couldn't leave the "huge heart for theists" thing alone.
Castin
Castin
-->
@EtrnlVw
My ticket would probably say hell, since I haven't accepted Jesus as my lord and savior.
No, no no. See, this is a misconception and one of those ol pieces of baloney I can never change others from saying and thinking. There are more options that going to heaven or hell, it's not just one or the other. A person has to actually earn one or the other despite popular belief and despite what religion sells. If you don't make it to a heaven you will reincarnate either here or a place similar. You never have to fear that or believe that unless you live like a criminal and wish to abuse others. If you would like to understand this more just ask.
That does sound better, but it does not sound like Christianity.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Castin
Never bothers you to do it to me you hypocrite pubic hair. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Castin
That does sound better, but it does not sound

And as you know my beliefs are not limited to only the Bible (and that is no disrespect to the Bible, I love those scriptures or at least many of it), I'm more of a problem solver it's kinda the way my mind works and that is why I'm able to piece things together from a more whole picture and why I do not isolate only certain beliefs or insights. It's kinda funny anyone would believe that only a certain culture or religion has the only source of Theistic knowledge or the only source that acquired spiritual facts.....I mean it is almost absurd TBH. Some paths of spirituality are certainly superior to others but that is because the spiritual arena is based upon experience. Not all experiences are on the same level though they basically express in one form or another the same massive/complex reality.

like Christianity.

You only consider what a fundamentalist Christian belief claims when ascertaining aspects of Theism?? if not, then why would that really matter if what I'm saying is correct? It sounds good because it is correct, those who do not deserve to be placed in an astral prison (a hell) will not be placed within one just like you don't get thrown into prison here for no reason to justify imprisoning you, that is ridiculous however for safety reasons prisons do exist in the higher realms. If a soul did not meet the qualifications or requirements of entering a paradise they have more than a single other option. This is how creation works all the down to our level here in this experience, religion has misconceived some things (perhaps many things) but it doesn't mean it can't be worked out. 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@keithprosser

That doesn't follow at all.

It absolutely followed, so much so they almost fell over one another.

Currently, I believe god does not exist - ergo i believe theists believe something false, i.e. I believe theists are deluded.

And that would mean that whatever truth they may share circulates through your filter that they are delusional. That is really irritating and not very intellectually honest. 

but if i change my stance to believe that god does exist then automatically I will not consider belief in god to be a delusion nor theists to be deluded.

LOL. Wow. Are you there Keith!

I suppose you don't wish to answer either of

Which?

Are you prepared to say that you could discover something tomorrow that will end your faith in god?

If not, who is it whose mind is closed?

Don't label me close minded unless you can give me an example, I don't believe atheists are deluded in the sense they believe in something that does not reflect reality. Both the Theist and the atheist perceive and accept the material world, but that is not the issue. For whatever reason you have decided to dupe yourself into believing Theists are deluded. What a shame.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@EtrnlVw
You read far too much into the word 'delusion', or rather I read too little.   I should have denied i think thests are delusional because 'delusion' has such a strong negative overtone.   I took it mean no more than 'mistaken'.

Obviously if I believe god does not exist I must believe theists are mistaken.  Few theists are 'deluded' in the strong sense of the word.

Paul
Paul
-->
@janesix
It's not the religion that I am interested in, it's the religious people and the amusing things they say.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Paul
It's not the religion that I am interested in, it's the religious people and the amusing things they say.

So you're not really here for genuine discussion because you are open to other ideas and possible truths but just for entertainment to mock people? we don't need anymore of those. 
Paul
Paul
-->
@EtrnlVw
Thank you for proving my point.