What makes an atheist obsessed with religion?

Author: janesix

Total: 188
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
Recent and potential converts to Cristianity.
So you believe then that newly 21st century recruited and potential recruits to Christianity  are the intended target audience when the scriptures state things such as "rising the dead"  and other miracles such " he  cured the leper"?  yes OR no?

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
You don't believe that Jesus cured any lepers. That isn't the same thing as knowing that Jesus didn't cure any lepers.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
  Jesus cures the leper:

Mark 1 : 40 A man with leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, “If you are willing, you can make me clean.”
Mark 1:  41 Jesus was indignant. He reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” 42 Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cleansed.

Mopac wrote: That isn't what happened.

Then tell me what did really happen and why the bible doesn't tell the whole truth of what really happened? 

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stephen
No.. the gospels were written for their own times.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
I don't 'know' anything, mo, but I estimate somethings to be overwhelmingly likely.

Stephen
Stephen
No.. the gospels were written for their own times.
That being the people of the time? 
Castin
Castin
-->
@janesix
I'm interested in interpretations of the human experience.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Castin
so am i.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@keithprosser
So you believe if Jesus had cured everyone with leprosy in 33 bc, we would not have leprosy today?

But any story about eradicating leprosy won't be credble if there is still leprosy around.
Why? If Jesus cured all lepers today, why could someone not become sick a few days later?

Do you see your dishonesty? You take a hypothetical question, give a hypothetical answer, and use that salad of hypotheticals as if it actually describes what happened.

So dishonest.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ethang5
Science claims to have cured things but you can still get polio if not vaccinated. Ignore stupid trolls. You will feel better. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ethang5
So you believe if Jesus had cured everyone with leprosy in 33 bc, we would not have leprosy today?
I believe if the gospellers had claimed jesus cured all the lepers people of the time would know it wasn't true.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@keithprosser
How?

I believe if the gospellers had claimed jesus cured all the lepers people of the time would know it wasn't true.
You also believe this is the reason they did not make that claim. That, my anti-christian friend, is dishonest.
Castin
Castin
-->
@janesix
Sounds like we come here for similar reasons, then. 🙂

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ethang5
You also believe this is the reason they did not make that claim. That, my anti-christian friend, is dishonest.
You are right that is what I believe - however, I didn't intend anyone should think I believed anything else.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@keithprosser
You are right that is what I believe -
I know. You have no logical reason for believing that.

I didn't intend anyone should think I believed anything else.
No, you only tried to get others to believe that was the reason the bible's authors didn't make that claim. They did NOT make that claim. So your idea about why they didn't make that claim is speculation about something nonexistent. Then trying to place that around the necks of the authors was dishonest.

Its like me claiming that you didn't claim to have any kids because everyone would have seen that your kid was ugly. And then claiming that THAT was the reason you didn't claim to have any kids.

How do you know why I didn't do what I in fact did not do? How do you know why the authors didn't make a claim they in fact, did not make??

Dishonest.
Castin
Castin
-->
@EtrnlVw
Hell doesn't exist, when you die you are dead, deal with it.

Hell doesn't exist like prisons do not exist lol, get real atheist. You'll be quite surprised when your flesh hits the dirt. That's not a threat BTW, it is a treat. One that you will find pretty fascinating. You can be an atheist all you like, but your consciousness will pull away from the physical body at death and only then will you realize you made mockery of all of us for no good reason. 
Don't worry little man, it'll be nice and quick. Only you won't be able to bring your mommy with ya....
This is disappointing language to hear from you, Ev. I had hoped you wouldn't let gus drag you down to this level. You might say I have a vested interest in how you view atheists.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Castin
My apologies Castin. Disgusted seems fixated on death and accusing others of being scared and so I played along with him, I usually just ignore him buy yeah I got sucked in this time. It came out a bit wrong though, I actually wasn't threatening him with hell or with anything at all, rather that when the physical body dies conscious life still exists, and that will be a treat for most atheists, since they had not known it would be that way and it may come as a surprise when it happens, that's all I really meant. As for hell, it only exists for those who commit crimes against creation just like we have jails for those who commit crimes against humanity, it is a protection for those who wish to abide in peace but it is not an eternal torture pit either.
Perhaps when Bully realizes that conscious life exists away from the physical body and is a reality it may have an effect on him that he spent most of his time mocking those who just wanted to share this sort of knowledge. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Castin
You might say I have a vested interest in how you view atheists.

Well as you might know, I have a huge heart for atheists and that has always been my motivation for sharing in these forums. It sucks though, it is a love hate relationship and it seems like a losing battle that I'll never reach you guys, everything has to be a fight or become a way to tear down the other person. That is not what I want and not my heart at all, it's just always where this seems to go no matter the discussion. Maybe that is the nature of debating religion but oh well, it's not for the feint of heart that's for sure. A guy like Disgusted brings out the worst because he is constantly antagonizing people and sometimes it is not so easy to ignore but please don't let it bother you I mean nothing against you in any way. 
Castin
Castin
-->
@EtrnlVw
Much appreciated. I've known you to be a well-meaning person and I can imagine what it must be like to be so constantly mocked and insulted. It would try anyone's patience. I didn't think what you said was a threat. I read it as "you'll get what's coming to you".

My ticket would probably say hell, since I haven't accepted Jesus as my lord and savior. But I'll have to agree that one's expectations must not be too high when debating religion. Discussing religion can be a shitstorm and the internet can be a shitstorm; combining the two makes a mega shitstorm.

I hope you and jane patch things up btw, I was sad to see your falling out.

disgusted
disgusted
damn

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@EtrnlVw
Well as you might know, I have a huge heart for atheists and that has always been my motivation for sharing in these forums.
I'd say Disgused has a huge heart for theists which is his 'motivation for sharing in these forums'.  It pains him that theists live their lives governed by delusion and superstition, so perhaps you and he aren't so different; you're just recruiting for opposite sides. What Gus gets wrong is thinking theists can be brought to their senses by insulting them!  

Castin
Castin
I wonder what finally put him over the edge to get a ban. His last post was just "damn".
ethang5
ethang5
It was a straw.
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Castin
I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.
Castin
Castin
Wonder if it's temp or perm.
ethang5
ethang5
It's temp. But how many think bully will come back changed?

Notice willows', hari's and goldy's account have been unlocked.

Vagabond, bully's original account, is also active.

ethang5
ethang5
Well as you might know, I have a huge heart for atheists and that has always been my motivation for sharing in these forums.

I'd say Disgused has a huge heart for theists which is his 'motivation for sharing in these forums'.
OK so far, we'll overlook you streeeetching the meaning of "sharing"....

This...

It pains him that theists live their lives governed by delusion and superstition,...
Here is where you prove the old saying...

Conservatives think liberals are stupid
Liberals think Conservatives are evil.

The definition of being governed by delusion and superstition is the behavior of bully, (and you in this post).
Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
Goldtop's name is still grayed out and struck through.

And I wasn't sure if keith was being serious.

ethang5
ethang5
And I wasn't sure if keith was being serious.
Ask him if he believes that theists live their lives governed by delusion and superstition,...

EtrnlVw said nothing about the atheist's state of mind. Ole slick just wanted to add that in. Serious or not, he believes it.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ethang5
Ask him if he believes that theists live their lives governed by delusion and superstition,...
Of course I believe that.  I fail to see how an atheist can see theism as anything other than a delusion and superstition.  However that doesn't mean I consider individual theists to be deluded or superstitious because those terms are loaded with perorative overtones that are not always appropriate and are frequently less than helpful.  i think theists are mistaken - I don't think they are idiots.

I don't believe in god, theists do.  I also think that makes less differnce than either side cares to admit.   Atheists are not amoral monsters and theists are not credulous fools.   Most vitriol is spilt against sterotypes that don't exist.