Should we crack down on members of the religion forum

Author: Wylted

Total: 78
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
Most of the time the religion forum keeps out of site politics. I appreciate and respect that. It really shows most of you are above politics. However the site presidential election effects this forum greatly. The 2 presidential candidates, me and rational madman have wildly different views of what should happen with the religion forum section.

Me personally, I think the religion forum has it’s own culture and should be respected. I want you guys to be in control of your little part of the internet.

RM on the other hand wants to crackdown on the religion section. I will link to the following thread where he makes remarks on how he will crack down on you guys. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/7106-a-witch-a-thang-a-yin-a-yang-a-rational-man-and-a-boomerang?page=3&post_number=53

The following is a quote of his on how he would start cracking down on religious forum regulars.

The mods would need to almost be 'too heavy handed' at first with how many ROs they set out.

You would find that at first the forums would seem 'dead' but slowly over time the more timid members and emotional members who aren't timid but know they react strongly can start to feel more welcome there.

I guarantee you there are members who barely posted there as well as onlookers to the website who took a couple of looks at threads there that never signed up specifically due to the toxic environment it has. In other words, there's activity that would be happening there with fun and friendly debate between theists and atheists, different theists, discussions of the meaning of traditions etc that aren't taking place because we have people too busy trying to derail threads and bring out the absolute worst in members that differ from their outlook.

On top of ROs, I think there needs to be a lot of active intervention, locking of threads etc. The religion forum users will at first maybe say 'stay out' but they will soon realise the help going on there when over time the more toxic bullies suddenly are either tamer or gone of their own volition. Not all the toxicity is the level of BrotherDThomas but what has happened is over time all the non-toxic members got eroded away and the only ones remaining either painfully tolerate and partly embrace the toxic environment or they totally and utterly perpetuate it. 

The toxicity is so direct and blatant that it is very easy to justify mod intervention to the people doing it and give them specific pointers to how to avoid ad hominem habits and perhaps discuss the topic more in an asking and answering format rather than a bite-back and berate format.

I can't give specifics without this thread itself possibly becoming classified as a callout thread but believe me, there are very specific habits of very specific members that if they were curtailed would completely transform the environment there. The mods are just obsessed with being lenient as in the past their intervening ways have been shamed and branded stupid by some members here.

I want you guys to control your future. If you want somebody to radically change this area you enjoy.

This is not a campaign thread, so I am not telling you who to vote for. However I think since the results of the election effect you, that you have a right to know the views of the candidates.

Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
Correct me if I am wrong but is this the same member (RM) that  posted this?

"I have converted to Taoism and I quit this website. Have a pleasant time without me, or don't. Either way I am content for that is the way of the Tao".

Then changed his mind just two days later?  #25

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Stephen
Correct. Also that post displayed a complete misunderstanding of Taoism, but I am not here to throw insults. Just to inform people of something that might effect their experience here.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Stephen
And it's the same Stephen that runs around harassing people relentlessly in the religion forums as his genuine daily hobby.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Never happen. Ragnar likes the way the forum is crap. He basically said it in a post a year ago. Mods don't want the do anything in general, especially not in the most active forum. If ever reprimanded the atheists would leave, they already lost half about a year ago when they left for a new site.  About the time I was banned to try and keep them. Year later nothing has changed. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Polytheist Witch, please unblock me and we can talk about it.

I remember when I was blocked kind of, it was over a misunderstanding on PM, you took me warning you of something as a hostile thing (If I recall correctly).

If you never deleted your PMs here, the chat will still be there. I have deleted on my end though as I clear mine from time to time. Let me know either way, I'm happy to publically chat with you about the issues.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Wylted
did you intentionally forget to quote yourself fully endorsing my idea?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I you are curious about Wylted's platform you also should take a look at his thread. 

Let me give you a head start:

I'm just helping the cause of letting you religion forum users get an idea of the platforms of the candidates.

Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
@RM

Stephen [....] in the religion forums as his genuine daily hobby.

It is an hobby of sorts. But I wouldn't call it an "addiction" RM.  I notice too that you have more than double the post count that I. Yet we joined around the same. time.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@RationalMadman
The
Hat wasn't an endorsement.  It was sarcasm. 

"Yeah run the fact that you will Crack down on the site's largest voting segment by them"

It was pretty clear sarcasm and obviously you could tell by reading it, at least anybody even mildly socially adept, that I was saying it was a terrible ideal and running it past the religion forum would make you unelectable.

Please use common since when interpreting all future statements of mine. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
To whom is concerned.

It's a website dedicated to debate and discussion. And by it's very nature and despite it's origins, is an international website.

And religion, politics and any socially divisive topic, is inevitably going to make for a popular forum.

I don't quite get what all the fuss and over sensitivity is all about.

A site President should be an unbiased and nominal figurehead, and have no powers to adjudicate and therefore inadvertently discriminate.

Moderators already moderate, and seemingly do a good job.

Cracking down is the work of dictators.

Let's keep things in perspective boys and girls, et al.

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
I don't understand how people could argue cross-thread about whether if God exists or not. Is there perhaps a rule in your religion that you must argue with a 'heretic' until they convert?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Intelligence_06
Is there a rule that says atheist have tell everyone else how to live?
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Nope. There isn't. If theists don't have such rules and neither do atheists, then I am confused as to why such arguing is still taking place with such heat.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Intelligence_06
Atheists can't tell their family how really feel about theists. They vent here so they don't accidentally tell someone they love  are morons.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Wylted
It was pretty clear sarcasm and obviously you could tell by reading it, at least anybody even mildly socially adept, that I was saying it was a terrible ideal and running it past the religion forum would make you unelectable.

Please use common since when interpreting all future statements of mine. 
Not at all, you even followed it up saying you'd be happy to work with me on it with the mods but I am so used to your fakeness and gaslighting that I was ready for you to go back on your word like you always do.

It's been run by the religion forums now, we'll see how unelectable I am.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Stephen
It is an hobby of sorts. But I wouldn't call it an "addiction" RM.  I notice too that you have more than double the post count that I. Yet we joined around the same. time.
Quantity is fine, it's about why you're posting. It's curious why you barely ever reply to people you agree with religion-wise but you'll point out it's a debate website, I think I know why though. 
Wylted
Wylted
Not at all, you even followed it up saying you'd be happy to work with me on it with the mods but I am so used to your fakeness and gaslighting that I was ready for you to go back on your word like you always do.

Specifically on you advocating for victims of bullying, not on the aspects of your campaign about fundamentally changing the religion forum and creating policies that are harmful to the site
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
So you only advocate for victims of bullying if it's not in the religion subforum?

That's your platform to be more electable to them?
Wylted
Wylted
Lol, if this is confusing you, please take nootropics. 

I divided your advocacy into 2 groups. The systematic changes you want and that are similar to policies Hitler passed, but on a smaller scale, Would not be something I would put you in charge of. 

The actual advocacy of petitioning members to be nicer through kindness initiatives and appealing to their humanity, is what would be allowed
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Isn't it you Right-wingers who mock and get sick of the Left wing preaching 'you are Hitler' whenever they're losing the argument?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
The actual advocacy of petitioning members to be nicer through kindness initiatives and appealing to their humanity, is what would be allowed
This is just doublespeak.

Are you or are you not going to help victims of harassment in the religion subforum be defended?
Wylted
Wylted
I have no problem with legitimate comparisons. For example Hitler policies were economic interventionist through increased regulations, was pro abortion, and anti guns. So when leftists call you a nazi for defending the 2nd amendment, they are quite literally being retarded. 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Leftists do not call anyone a Nazi for defending the 2nd Amendment. I have yet to see that happen.

I also will cease to take any bait with your sidetracking here. If you continue this Hitler line, I'll just ignore it. Nobody sensible enough is going to buy into the BS.
Wylted
Wylted
Also stuff leftist do. Support a minimum wage hike that economists have proven has no effect on white unemployment but increases black unemployment. Support abortion and put disproportionate amount of abortion cli ics in black reas
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Stephen
Where did I call it an 'addiction' btw
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
You decide how to live Poly.

I come here from time to time to remotely discuss with others, and then go and do other things and forget about religion completely.

And my family aren't the slightest bit interested  in my temporary dalliances with Debateart.

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Wylted
I want you guys to control your future. If you want somebody to radically change this area you enjoy.
any and all code-of-conduct enforcement should be uniform - regardless of the individual being considered and regardless of where they posted
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I can't believe smart people are dumb enough to think that there's an even hand when it comes to the religion forum or if they honestly don't care because the current system benefits them.  Since none of these people are stupid we know it's the second one.