Reflection on January 6th

Author: Double_R

Total: 106
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
As we approach the 1 year anniversary of the attacks on the Capitol I wondered how the DART community as a whole views the days events given everything we now know about what took place that day.

Discuss.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
That even when covid's around and lockdown's abound, one post from Donald and mayhem is found.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Pretty sad tbqh
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
Hitler rose to power because he told a Big Lie. Millions of people believed that Big Lie because they held more sinister beliefs; millions more likely didn't believe it, but weren't willing to denounce it as an outright lie at the time.
The same dynamic is true regarding Donald Trump's claim that Joe Biden stole the election from him. It is a Big Lie being embraced to advance a racist, anti-democratic agenda. Anyone who doesn't stand up to that Big Lie today would have likely been complicit in Hitler's Big Lie last century.
Trump should be in prison for trying to overthrow a national election.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
I found it hilarious that when people start breaking stuff in the place they give power and hold influence over there’s a select committee created, hundreds thrown in jail still without a trial, and political outcries from both parties.

But when rioters destroy the property of other ordinary Americans, they instantly get released, politicians bail them out, and it is labeled a just cause.

My biggest takeaway is the same it has always been. Rules for thee but not for me. 
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ILikePie5
The summer riots of 2020 were fueled by ordinary people tired of watching more unarmed black people being killed by those charged with protecting them with no accountability. 

January 6th was fueled by a president and his associates blatantly lying to the American people about the outcome of the election.

These are not the same thing. Anybody not entrenched in every day American politics of the moment understands that. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Many parts of the protest needed to happen. The capital needed to be raided and a stark reality check needed to be instilled in the politicians. That said, rest easy to all those who died and good luck to those who were hospitalized.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
Though I don't find it hilarious, what I noticed was the same as ILikePie5 in #5

"when people start breaking stuff in the place they give power and hold influence over there’s a select committee created, hundreds thrown in jail still without a trial, and political outcries from both parties.

But when rioters destroy the property of other ordinary Americans, they instantly get released, politicians bail them out, and it is labeled a just cause."

Of my own thoughts,
I think scope is overblown by the Left, and that 'coup is an overstatement,
Though I'll admit it as an event to take caution of.

I think that actions have consequences, and the people involved with breaking into the capital 'should be held accountable.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Double_R
Any follower of politics knows politicians only do something if it affects them. 

Summer of Love and J6 are classic examples.

We shouldn’t fear politicians. Politicians should fear us. And if you support the standard of indefinitely jailing someone without a trial, that’s on you
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
It's funny about the things we now know, like some of the inciters (Ray Epps and others) given prosecutorial immunity due to likely working for the FBI. (guy is walking free and clear despite being filmed inciting a riot and politically trespassing)

A full year of incarceration for political trespassing. That's 2022 tyranny. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
I'm looking forward to the 2022 circus impeachments and political investigations from the GOP after they seize complete power of the Congress.

Tyranny from the left mirrored on the right because the people are dumb as hell.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
They certainly are, that’s why the GOP didn’t even bother to present a defense of Trumps actions in either impeachment and instead just relied on demonizing the democrats for holding him accountable for what would have gotten any other president thrown out of office. When your constituents live in whatever reality you invent, you don’t need a valid argument.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ILikePie5
Any follower of politics knows politicians only do something if it affects them. 

Summer of Love and J6 are classic examples.

We shouldn’t fear politicians. Politicians should fear us. And if you support the standard of indefinitely jailing someone without a trial, that’s on you
I take that as your concession.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

" Donald Trump sent us "
Fruit_Inspector
Debates: 20
Fruit_Inspector
Has anyone done a debate on a topic like "Donald Trump is Responsible for Inciting an Insurrection at the Capitol on 1-6-2021"? I don't have time but if you wanted a topic that would probably be popular, that's an idea.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
It's not Trump that's going to start all sorts of political investigations into political enemies in 2022 though. Nor will he start impeachment hearings.

Can you guess who will be doing it? Likely not. Most Jan 6 hyperventilators think Trump is running for Congress in 2022.

Tyranny from one side used to justify it when the other side gets power, just like the tyranny of the treaty of Versailles was used to justify all the crap Germany did.

Jan 6 and DC gutting the political and economic freedoms of every American is the modern Treaty of Versailles, who knows what shit Jan 6 and DC tyranny will spawn? There's nobody left to stand up for the hundreds of people jailed for political trespassing.

It's most likely not going to be Trump again since his role is more related to this guy. It's the next tyrant that's going to be the doozy. The one the 30 percenters are helping to pave the way for by backing and accepting all this tyrannical shit.

When generations look back and ask the same question they asked Germany "Why did you guys let this happen?" It's always the same answer. They trusted the same people that created the problems in the first place to fix them.

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@ILikePie5
I found it hilarious that when people start breaking stuff in the place they give power and hold influence over there’s a select committee created, hundreds thrown in jail still without a trial, and political outcries from both parties.

But when rioters destroy the property of other ordinary Americans, they instantly get released, politicians bail them out, and it is labeled a just cause.

My biggest takeaway is the same it has always been. Rules for thee but not for me. 
This is, of course, a lie.

Please identify one insurrectionist who is being held without a trial date- just flat out false.

Of the 14,000+ arrests in the weeks after George Floyd, more than 80% were non-violent misdemeanors.  The most common felony charges have been arson and looting and the majority of those convictions were young white men with no political agenda beyond setting fires and stealing shit.  In the small number of cases where political motivation has been discerned, extreme right-wingers substantially outnumber leftists.  Prosecutions are still in process but in spite of the insurrectionists demonstrating far more violence and destruction on a per capita basis than the Floyd rioters, the average sentencing for a Floyd felon has been 27 months compared to a paltry 45 days for the right-wingers who tried to overturn the Constitution.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@oromagi
This is, of course, a lie.

Please identify one insurrectionist who is being held without a trial date- just flat out false.
Jose Lino Padilla

I encourage you to find a trial date for him. 
Double_R
Double_R
“I hate it to end this way. Oh my God, I hate it. From my point of view, he’s been a consequential president, but today, first thing you’ll see. All I can say is a count me out. Enough is enough.” - Lindsay Graham

"There is no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day," - Mitch McConnell

The president needs to tell people in the Capitol to go home. This is hurting all of us. He is destroying his legacy,” - Laura Ingraham

“Please, get him on TV — [the riot is] destroying everything [Trump] accomplished,” Brian Kilmeade

“Can he make a statement, ask people to leave the Capitol?” - Sean Hannity 

Just a few examples of the fact that we all understood how egregious January 6th was during and in the immediate aftermath of the attacks. But yet here we are, a year later with half the country still pretending there was nothing to see here. It’s absurd. And clearly no Trump defender wants to touch this with a ten foot pole, so as usual it’s all whataboutisms.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
You're just proving my point that when all those people you quoted get power in 2022, it will be Democrats in jail for political trespassing with no trial date, and 30 percenters won't be able to do a thing but wonder why.

Surely you know in your quiet moments that 2022 is going to be a year of absolute GOP congressional power. 

Are you not the least bit afraid of what they plan to do to people like you?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
A few stupid people, inspired by provocateurs.

To do stupid things.

Dragging the American Nation down, into the cesspool of history.

The trouble with a Two Party State representing a three party system

Is that the majority voice tends to be ignored.

Though the majority voice did decide that Trump was a numpty.

Thank goodness for common sense.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
You're just proving my point that when all those people you quoted get power in 2022, it will be Democrats in jail for political trespassing with no trial date
Nothing in my post proved anything you just said. What my post demonstrated is the fact that we all understood how bad what was happening was and that the dear leader was directly responsible for it at the time it was happening. Propaganda doesn’t work in the moment, that requires the passage of time so that history can be re-written in the fog of hindsight.

The fact that not one right winger on this site can come on here and just say “yeah, January 6th was terrible and it’s a good thing that we are fighting to make sure it never happens again” is indicative of how fucked we are as a nation.

And no, democrats won’t be jailed for political trespassing because democrats aren’t the ones dumb enough to storm the US Capitol thinking they can overturn an election, and because democrats are not dumb enough to sign up for a cult pledging allegiance to history’s biggest man-child.

Surely you know in your quiet moments that 2022 is going to be a year of absolute GOP congressional power.
They’re not quiet moments, the political pendulum will continue to swing back and forth like it has for centuries. There is nothing about this that validates the absurdity coming from the political right on this.

Are you not the least bit afraid of what they plan to do to people like you?
No, because our justice system is not as easily corruptible as the minds of all the morons out there who think breaking into the US Capitol to stop congress from certifying a presidential election shouldn’t come with serious consequences.

What I’m afraid of is that by this time next election the US will no longer be a democracy. That’s something we all used to agree on but it appears that is now a partisan value.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
No, because our justice system is not as easily corruptible...

Lol,  Virginia parents and political trespassers jailed for a year with no trial date want you to hold their beer.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
You left out the important part; “…as the minds of all the morons out there who think breaking into the US Capitol to stop congress from certifying a presidential election shouldn’t come with serious consequences.”

See, it was a comparative statement, so if you want to raise an issue with it you need to take both ends of the comparison into account.

But even setting that aside… please provide one example of a “political trespasser” being jailed because of partisan corruption. I’ll wait.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
I'm sure the rosy rhetoric about your state of mind will put you at ease when Lindsey and McConnel take control of judiciary investigations.

At least I am prepared for the worst here, you don't even see the danger.

Orwell's 2 minutes of hate relived daily isn't exclusive to any party, just the ones sitting in the seat at the time. After 2022, it will be 2 minutes of hate observed for the evil leftists that ran the economy into the ground, even though they actually had nothing to do about it. Every illegal invader will now be a political trespasser destroying democracy for example. It's just another scapegoat to rage over while business continues as usual in DC.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
The usual meaningless non-answer I’ve come to expect.

I am concerned about what happens then Graham and McConnell take control of the investigations. Not because I’m concerned about what they will do to “people like me”, but because I’m concerned about how they will continue to embarrass us and continue to degrade the institutions our society depends on to project seriousness and stability. We’ve already seen it… does Benghazi ring a bell? How about Hillary’s emails?
Athias
Athias
-->
@Double_R
As we approach the 1 year anniversary of the attacks on the Capitol I wondered how the DART community as a whole views the days events given everything we now know about what took place that day.

Discuss.
You mean that staged event? One of my siblings birthday is today. And I'll be reflecting and celebrating the day of my sibling's birth, rather than the nonsense that ensued both on and after that day.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Athias
"Staged event" that killed a cop and 4 rioters...

How did they pull that part of it off?
Athias
Athias
-->
@RationalMadman
"Staged event" that killed a cop and 4 rioters...

How did they pull that part of it off?
Are you asking me how a cop and 4 people died in a riot?

As for for who staged the riot, one can speculate a number of things. But it's always prudent to first gauge the consequences of the riot, which was the foolish attempt to impeach Donald Trump. Once one understands that, the "who" becomes clear.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Athias
So run me a little more through this then.

These secret planners waited until after already having been declared victorious in the election to pull a stunt that would demonise Trump?

Then, they (these evil masterminds) failed to impeach him anyway?

Has it ever occurred to you that Trump may be the evil guy after all?