-->
@zedvictor4
how is he a concept zed
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@rosends
This where I got it from. Do you see anything wrong with their argument. https://www.franciscanmedia.org/ask-a-franciscan/did-god-hate-esau

Also can you link me to where you found that definition 
Bones
Debates: 30
Bones
-->
@Dr.Franklin
It hasn't. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Bones
Yes it has

and btw, Polytheist witch had every right to be rude as this was a retarded question.
Bones
Bones
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Yes it has
Want to debate? 

and btw, Polytheist witch had every right to be rude as this was a retarded question.
Witch is the one who always rambles on about Stephen "harassing" them for asking where their God originated. FLRW was obviously making a joke - no one expects God to snap them some pics of heaven, but Witch just had to come in with the unproductive jabs. 

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Probably cuz I'm sick of people coming here just to harass people not engage in f****** conversation.
rosends
Debates: 0
rosends
-->
@Wylted
The definitions came from two texts that are linked to through the sefaria website.

For the definition, go to the site, go to the resources/dictionaries and look up שָׂנֵא by copying it from here and putting it in the search box on the top right. Then, select "reference" and pull down the menu and select the Jastrow and Klein (and "exact matches")

You will see dictionary entries (plus entries for other words that share a spelling but not pronunciation or meaning). The Open Scriptures on Github can't be accessed separately on sefaria but if you go to the Malachi verse
and then scroll down on the right side to "dictionaries" and click, and then search in dictionaries for שָׂנֵא you will see it come up.

The question in the linked argument is whether one can take the use of the root as it applies (in Gen 29:31) to Leah (as opposed to the sentiment Jacob shows towards Rachel). This is a difficult parallel to make (though if you go to the commentary of the Or Hachaim https://www.sefaria.org/Genesis.29.31?lang=bi&with=Or%20HaChaim&lang2=en you will see that he does make the link, but that it reinforces "hate").

The Genesis verse uses the word in the passive (was hated) and indicates that it was a sense that God got, not that Jacob explicitly had. Reducing it to preference is not warranted by the text.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@rosends
Thanks. I am definitely going to dig into this, and see if I have to change my mind on some things. 
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Stephen
Has it ever crossed your mind that these ancient stories may simply amount to nothing more that a initiation of sorts and were not "miracles " at all?
It in fact has. I was an atheist until my late 30s. I still feel like when I was an atheist I had a better understanding of the Bible than you. I mean you know a lot of passages, but I don't feel like it comes from a place of understanding what they are trying to say. 

Even when I was a kid I acted like I believed in God, but I never did until recently . So, yes I have considered that they are bullshit and was thoroughly convinced of it for a while. 

I think what we are discussing right now has nothing to donwith whether the stories are bullshit or not. There are a few possibilities here, and belief is the least interesting one.

1. Your interpretation of the Bible is correct and the Bible is real.

2. Your interpretation of the Bible is wrong and the Bible is correct

3. Your interpretation is correct but the Bible is wrong

4. Your interpretation is wrong and the Bible is fake.

I think we are discussing something separate and addressing the hypothetical why in the op.

If God is real, why does this happen. We branched off,into if God is real Than why is Jesus curing individuals, when it would benefit the world more for him to heal all blind people and lepers?

It's my interpretation that the Bible is saying that Jesus was like a lucky charm that helped these sick people have faith they could be healed and they were essentially healed by faith. You pointed out times when Jesus did not credit faith, but he credited it in enough instances where it us safe to assume we can credit it to the other instances. 

I guess I am just more comfortable than you speculating as to things that happened, which aren't explicitly stated in the bible. 

As far as faith of a mustard seed is concerned. I think you have some initial impressions that it means "small amount of faith", probably because a mustard seed is small. I think big things come in small packages though and the faith of the mustard seed is probably pretty deep. 

You did ask me if I can move a mountain. The truth is I can, but I won't.  We have a limited amount of time to do things in this world, and I don't feel like spending the next 50 years planting dynamite all over a mountain. 

Have you ever looked into the gnostic Christians. When the Bible was being put together, they really did try to keep all the gnostic texts out of it. However a lot of the gnostic ideology remains and the Bible really is saying something similar to what you would hear on that law of attraction movie, called "The Secret". The secret is just the 2nd step in occult understanding and is a tiny piece of the puzzle. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Lunar108
Why hasn't a "god" ever healed an amputee?
I've just copied this question from facebook and I'm just asking for help here .
Firstly, if it happened the god that I have come to believe is real would convince the person to keep their mouth shut about it.

Secondly, the reason it's generally not done is that the god of this reality sees these setbacks as entertaining flavouring of one's life, curious how they respond to the struggle.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Well , just read your dictionary Doc.

But basically, the God principle is an internal construct, collectively and variously used to represent something that cannot actually be understood.

The GOD principle has been around for as long as Hominids have been able to internally formulate, store and remember more complex sequences of data.

So not just for two thousand years.

Despite what you have been conditioned to accept Doc, the GOD of your BIBLE, is no more than a made up character, in one of many representative creation stories.

For me the GOD principle only represents that which might afford the Universe a purpose.

But of course there maybe no purpose.

Such is the basic unanswerable conundrum Doc.

And the Virgin Mary, Jesus and his absentee father are only data in a comparatively recent book, subsequently transferred even more recently to inside your head.

Concepts Doc.
FLRW
FLRW

It’s my view that the simplest explanation is that there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realisation: there is probably no heaven and afterlife either. I think belief in an afterlife is just wishful thinking. There is no reliable evidence for it, and it flies in the face of everything we know in science. 

Stephen Hawking

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Bones
Want to debate? 
  1. God gives us free will, because free will is inherently good.
  2. Free will entails the possibility of doing what is contrary to God's will (this is what we know as evil).
  3. Thus, evil exists, because of man's actions, rather than because of God.

very basic

Bones
Bones
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Want to debate? 
  1. God gives us free will, because free will is inherently good.
  2. Free will entails the possibility of doing what is contrary to God's will (this is what we know as evil).
  3. Thus, evil exists, because of man's actions, rather than because of God.

very basic
Are you like serious - I'm never this blunt, but that is such a terrible defence. 

If it's that basic then you are willing to debate? I propose: The Free Will defence is not sufficient in refuting the Problem of Evil. 
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Bones
Are you like serious - I'm never this blunt, but that is such a terrible defence. 

If it's that basic then you are willing to debate? I propose: The Free Will defence is not sufficient in refuting the Problem of Evil. 
Thanks Bones for providing us all with such a humorous comment. 

If God did not exist - then free will is the only reason available for the existence of evil.  If God does not exist - then all the evil that has ever existed in whatever state can be put down as human freedom to choose to do it for whatever reason.  It is true that some atheists might suggest that determinism plays a part - but that does not refute free will nor evil.   At best it puts it into a particular context of culpability. It does not stop the evil - only explains it in part. That is part of the reason why the atheist continues to lose this argument. Ignorance and foolishness. 

Yet - if God exists - suddenly the atheist is up in arms about evil.   Why?  That is the question.  Somehow what can happen when God does not exist is IMPOSSIBLE to be part of the answer if God does exist.,  Mirrors and smokescreens.  Talk about escapism and denial.  

The Bible clearly says - God is not responsible for evil. The passage in Is does not say God created evil - unless of course you use an inferior English translation. But of course the dilatant will still attempt to do so.  Why? Because they don't have the ability to think. 

God gave humanity the ability to do the right thing in their creation. Yet he also gave them the ability to follow their own choices.  Why this is difficult to understand is staggering?  God did not want robots to worship him. He desired people to worship him freely and voluntarily because of their freedom not in spite of it.  

Free will is the reason for evil. It is - if God does not exist - and it is still the reason if God exists.  God's existence does not change the facts about evil.  To try and suggest that somehow it becomes a refutable part of the argument if God does exist is nothing short of smoke and mirrors. It is intellectual dishonesty at its worst. Is this surprising?   Not for me. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
As I keep saying.

A GOD......As in any eternal floaty about humanesque idea, exists only as a transferable data concept.

So obviously no actual eternal  floaty about bloke, known as yet.

But certainly an ongoing idea relative to an evolved  earthbound, complex organism.

Nonetheless we cannot rule out the possibility of an even more complex,  evolved universal system.

Which could be referred to as GOD, or BOB, or BOOM.

Though GOD or BOB or BOOM must come either before or after something even more profound....Namely, nothingness.

When considering everything,

We tend to disregard nothingness.

Bones
Bones
-->
@Tradesecret

Thanks Bones for providing us all with such a humorous comment. 
No worries, I'm glad to amuse. 

Yet - if God exists - suddenly the atheist is up in arms about evil.   Why?  That is the question.  Somehow what can happen when God does not exist is IMPOSSIBLE to be part of the answer if God does exist.,  Mirrors and smokescreens.  Talk about escapism and denial.  
In the atheist model, there is no all loving, all powerful being watching over the cosmos. In the atheist's world view, evil is a product of free will. In the theist's world view, evil is a product of free will but is also permitted by an all loving father. 

God gave humanity the ability to do the right thing in their creation. Yet he also gave them the ability to follow their own choices.  Why this is difficult to understand is staggering? 
Fibromyalgia. 

Free will is the reason for evil.
Who willed cancer? 

God's existence does not change the facts about evil.
It doesn't, that is correct. Consider the following example. 

1. A kid in a school brings out a rifle. The teacher who is known to be loving stops them. The threat is deescalated. 
  2. A kid in a school brings out a rifle. The teacher who is known to be loving does not stop him because he does not want to intervene with the child's free will. After all, freewill is a gift given by God, who is the mortal teacher to judge the child? Everyone in the school dies. 
In both examples, you are correct to say that free will is the driving force for the terror. The fact that a loving teacher is there does not change this. However, the issue arises when the teacher claims that they are loving, and further problems arise when the teacher reveals their reason for not stepping in.
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Lunar108
"Why hasn't a "god" ever healed an amputee?"

God cannot do miracles.

God can help us heel mental conditions, if one recognized the God within him or herself, but God has never healed anything else.

Figments of imagination effect minds but not any other part of the body.

Bio feedback might be an exception to this.

Regards
DL

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@n8nrgmi
Are you expressing belief or Christian dogma?

"God will miraculously heal someone but leaves room for doubt."

You have seen this personally have you?

"Faith is asked for by God and a person only has faith if there's room for doubt."

When and where did this event happen?

Regards
DL
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Wylted
"You'll also still have the opportunity to repent and be with God. "

Why would anyone want to spend eternity with a genocidal, homophobic and misogynous God?

Do you like St. Hitler, and do you want to spend eternity with him as well?

Regards
DL
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Mharman
" All one has to do join God’s people is accept that Jesus is the Lord and Savior."

True, but that is a sin to do, as it includes you abdicating your responsibility for your own sins as well as ignoring what Jesus himself taught.

On Jesus dying for Christians. Try to think in a moral way.

It takes quite an inflated ego to think a god would actually die for us, after condemning us unjustly in the first place.

Christians have swallowed a lie and don’t care how evil they make Jesus to keep their feel good get out of hell free card.

It is a lie, first and foremost, because, like it or not, having another innocent person suffer or die for the wrongs you have done, --- so that you might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral.

To abdicate your personal responsibility for your actions or use a scapegoat is immoral.

Christians also have to ignore what Jesus, as a Jewish Rabbi, would have taught his people.
Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. 
Deuteronomy 24:16 (ESV) "Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

Psa 49;7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

There is no way that Christians would teach their children to use a scapegoat to escape their just punishments and here you are promoting doing just that.
Jesus is just a smidge less immoral than his demiurge genocidal father, and here you are trying to put him as low in moral fiber as Yahweh. Tsk tsk.

Are you ready to sin to be saved?

Regards
DL 

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Wylted
"God does not control everything."

Who does, given that scriptures say God controls our desire to believe or not by his application, or not, of grace.

Read this old O.P. before your reply.

Are non-believers doomed by Divine Design?

Scriptures say that God decides if a person will be a believer or non-believer. Those scriptures are shown in this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byHYeHN4ZUQ

Those quotes seems to really screw up the free will notion that Christians say God gives us.

The free will that God offers is kind of a joke anyway given the number of people whose free will to live is ignored in the billions of adults, children and babies that God is shown to torture and murder in scriptures.

If the bible and Yahweh are to be believed, and as a non-believer, I, of course, cannot believe it, thanks to God, by God’s design and will against me, then why did God deny me belief or faith?

Even more important to believers, might be to answer the question of; did God make you a believer in things that you can only hope exists and can never confirm?

Are you happy with God ignoring or negating your free will to think as you please?

I have assumed that God’s work of creating both believers and non-believers is working. If that is so, and you believers must think it so, just as I as a non-believer cannot think it is working, --- and Jesus said that those with faith could do all he did and more, --- then there is not even one believer or person of faith that has ever existed.

Either the bible and Christianity is all a lie, or there must be some who can do what Jesus did.

What is your choice of those two options?

Is the bible and Christianity a lie, or is God just not creating any people with faith, --- which would make all Christians who say they have faith, --- liars.

I mean no insult here but someone is definitely lying, if we read what is written and look at reality and listen to Christians.

What do you think is the truth?

Is it just for God to create people doomed to hell even if they wanted to believe?

Regards
DL
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
Scriptures are bits of parchment or paper, scribbled on by people.

Historically interesting,

But factually questionable, to say the least.

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Bones
any rebuttals?
Bones
Bones
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Fibromyalgia. 

No debate?
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop

Why would anyone want to spend eternity with a genocidal, homophobic and misogynous God?

That is a low IQ take, but it's your choice. 

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Bones
your pathetic
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop

I like this comment on the video you referenced.

DarkMatter2525
"Freewill? Meh. Fuck it." ~God

Bones
Bones
-->
@Dr.Franklin
*you're
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@zedvictor4
Sure, but it is also what some call the root of Western thinking and law under our Judeo Christian inheritance.

It is, in a small part, with much of the garbage policies in Christianity taken out, due to our secular laws ignoring the more immoral and vile homophobic and misogynous policies.

If we had not brought Christianity to heel, the secular would have had to form their own inquisitions and jihads to rid ourselves of that immoral creed.

I have links if you need education.

Regards
DL