Any evidence for Soul?

Author: Solaris1

Total: 33
Solaris1
Debates: 1
Solaris1
Do you have any evidence/arguments that would prove that humans have souls/immaterial minds?

Evidence against the immaterial part of the mind is Phineas Gage [1].

Popular reports of pre-accident Gage often depict him as a hardworking, pleasant man prior to the accident. Post-accident, these reports describe him as a changed man, suggesting that the injury had transformed him into a surly, aggressive alcoholic who was unable to hold down a job.

Damage to the Brain = damage to the mind, therefore mind is not separate from the brain. 

[1]

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Solaris1

Join together 100 billion neurons—with 100 trillion connections—and you have yourself a human brain. Once this is destroyed you no longer exist.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Solaris1
I'm not sure the mind and the soul are the same thing.
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Solaris1
"Do you have any evidence/arguments that would prove that humans have souls/immaterial minds?"

About 96% of us think in a material dualism, body/soul, way.

Is a survey evidence? I think so.

Telepathy is also evidence that we have an immaterial consciousness that we can use outside of our own bodies.

There are even toys that are mind controlled.

We live in a dualistic reality, and logic and reason, --- and what we think statistically, --- seem to show this exactly.

Regards
DL

Solaris1
Solaris1
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
Can you provide sources for the mind controlled toys, and the telepathy.
Solaris1
Solaris1
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
How are they different? 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Solaris1
The notion of Soul,

Is basically a coping strategy.

Nonetheless,

The difference between a living organic mass and a dead organic mass,

Might be suggestive of residual energy.

Or might just indicate an organic device that ran out of steam.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Solaris_01
I'm sure you can find something neurological about it
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Solaris1
The mind is connected to ego. It has to do with us filtering outside information that comes from the brain and applying it to our conscious self. The soul is connected more to the body and the spirit. The soul is kind of that glue that holds our spirit to our body and it filters spiritual experiences that come through the brain.  I don't think I'm explaining this right. The mind has to do with ego and self and the soul has to do with Spirit and the higher self. Someone can have a damaged mind but the soul is still there and intact and functioning. Like you would never say somebody with a brain injury or say something like Downs had no soul. I don't think I'm explaining this right but I do agree with you that the brain and the mind are connected to damage brain is a damaged mind and it changes how you function as far as ego. I guess a good way to put it would be emotional trauma might damage the soul because the soul is about the higher self or spiritual things. I still don't think that is what I'm trying to say I don't know never mind.
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Solaris1
Noetic Science will cover telepathy and it's proofs or evidence.

I am just a guy with a victim to prove my testimony.

Google will get you the toys. 

I used one about a year ago, and our military have been using that same technology for weapons deployment and tracking.

Regards
DL

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Solaris1
You call Gage evidence? This example only proved that brain can affect the mind, they did not even give any evidence of the inverse(If you don't change mind, you don't actively change brain).
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Solaris1
Do you have any evidence/arguments that would prove that humans have souls/immaterial minds?
Humans are souls. They don't have souls.  This soul is both physical and spiritual. The evidence for this is life and death.  While a person is alive - they are a soul and when they die - they simply become a shell.  It is what distinguishes a living being from a dead one. 

Popular reports of pre-accident Gage often depict him as a hardworking, pleasant man prior to the accident. Post-accident, these reports describe him as a changed man, suggesting that the injury had transformed him into a surly, aggressive alcoholic who was unable to hold down a job.

Damage to the Brain = damage to the mind, therefore mind is not separate from the brain. 

[1]

Interesting but missing the point. 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
For....
You can sell your soul.   

Against. ......
I've sold mine twice.

196 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@Solaris1

[1]
Soul is the energy trapped in a man’s body.

Biblical evidence.
Genesis 2:7 Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Scientific evidence.
In physics, energy (from Ancient Greek: ἐνέργεια, enérgeia, “activity”) is the quantitative property that is transferred to a body or to a physical system, recognizable in the performance of work and in the form of heat and light.

Since energy can neither be created or destroyed. The soul exists as energy.
The law of conservation of energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed - only converted from one form of energy to another.

62 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Solaris1
The concept of soul has been on my mind lately, as I think about worldbuilding,

My initial preference is a science fiction fantasy, that is to say a world that works according to my materialistic worldview,
But magic in fiction is fun,

So I make it a world, who's now extinct forerunners, genetically manipulated themselves, to form a number of generic fantasy races,
Unusual races, still easily in sci fi,

Unusual abilities, well, there are electric eels, flame spitting bugs, poison cobras in Earth nature,
A measure of the fantastic in individuals potential and effort grabbed ability is possible,

But then I come to necromancy,
How would a raising of skeletons even work, by their previous call to life, their spirits?
But that is 'too far in fantasy for my world view,

Additionally, and here's where I start to address this threads topic,
What is 'meant by spirit, soul?

. . .

The Witch of Endor consults the spirit of Samuel,

In the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Guan Yu's spirit, after his death, haunts some people to death, before being chastised by a monk of something,

Some other religions believe in reincarnation,
And if they meant the material and energy of the body, circle of life, that's logical for me,
But I think they mean,
"rebirth of the aspect of an individual that persists after bodily death—whether it be consciousness, mind, the soul, or some other entity—in one or more successive existences. "

Nature and Nurture passing on is not what is meant by a number of people, by the soul and spirit, I'd argue.

. . .

So I again wonder, what 'is the soul?
I'll accept the immaterial exist, such as concepts of math, game theory,
But these concepts are divorced from humans, not inborn, 'I think.
. . .
And even 'with argument of human propensity for them, such would be 'material.

I find myself unable to view the soul as something other than material,
Yet if it is material, then it is mundane, merely an extension of life as is.

What is meant, value had, or 'Ego, in the immaterial?
Shila
Shila
The best explanation for soul is still what Shila offered.

Soul is the energy trapped in a man’s body.

Biblical evidence.
Genesis 2:7 Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Scientific evidence.
In physics, energy (from Ancient Greek: ἐνέργεια, enérgeia, “activity”) is the quantitative property that is transferred to a body or to a physical system, recognizable in the performance of work and in the form of heat and light.

Since energy can neither be created or destroyed. The soul exists as energy.
The law of conservation of energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed - only converted from one form of energy to another.

19 days later

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Shila
If the soul is energy, it should be detectable. Correct?

We can detect all other frequencies right to their sub-atomic components.

Let me show you what Gnostic Christians think.

Gnostic Jesus was questioned as to what sees the vision?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/maps/primary/mary.html

The Saviour answered and said, 'He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision...'

For where the mind is, there is the treasure.

===================

Christianity does not quite agree, wording wise, with us.

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Our hearts just confirm that the vision is a treasure.

If a soul keeps memory/visions, then it is perpetually being recreated by whatever our minds are going through.

People creates their own souls, as they are a true reflection of who they are, being preserved for an imagined afterlife.

An unwarranted conclusion by those who foolishly believe in the supernatural.

Regards
DL
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Solaris1
Would our instincts and dualistic thinking, with statistical proofs, be considered strong evidence?

Despite the title, this is on dualism.

Regards
DL
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Why not just admit you have had no spiritual experience and think those who have are lying or mentally ill? All these stupid topics and posts for that one idea.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
  While a person is alive - they are a soul and when they die - they simply become a shell.  

So, what happens to the spirit after it leaves its shell?

BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Stephen
@Tradesecret

Stephen,

YOUR QUOTE TO THE NUMBER ONE BIBLE FOOL OF THIS FORUM, MISS TRADESECRET: "So, what happens to the spirit after it leaves its shell?"

Hang on in Miss Tradesecrets inept reasoning to your question, where it will be only OPINIONS, and never using the Bible for the truth!  She was shown to use this 'conjectured ruse"  towards me that she has yet to address and remain intelligent looking in the aftermath herewith: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/4893/post-links/358603

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
What is the spirit? 

Some say it goes back to God. 

Is the spirit - just God's breath of life to us or is it something more? 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@BrotherD.Thomas
I can quote the bible if I wanted to - but I don't see why I should waste my time and yours by just going to my search engine so that you can abuse me back. 

BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas

MISS TRADESECRET, whose gender went from a “MAN TO A WOMAN,” and then to “OTHER,” then went to her being 53 years old, then 12 years old, then changed to being 14 years old, Debate Runaway on Jesus' true MO,  Bible denier of Jesus being God in the OT, the runaway to what division of Christianity she follows, the pseudo-christian that has committed the Unpardonable Sin, the number 1 Bible ignorant fool regarding the Noah's Ark narrative, SHE SAYS THAT OFFSPRING THAT CURSE THEIR PARENTS SHOULD BE KILLED, states there is FICTION within the scriptures, and is guilty of Revelation 22:18-19, 2 Timothy 4:3, and 1 Timothy 2:12. She obviously had ungodly Gender Reassignment Surgery, Satanic Bible Rewriter, she goes against Jesus in not helping the poor, teaches Christianity at Universities in a “blind leading the blind” scenario, and is a False Prophet, says that Jesus is rational when He commits abortions and makes His creation eat their children, and that Jesus is rational when He allows innocent babies to be smashed upon the rocks, will not debate me on the Trinity Doctrine or the Virgin Birth, has a myriad of EXCUSES not to answer your questions, and says that the Bible contradicts itself, and she is "AN ADMITTED SEXUAL DEVIANT!!!!!”

YOUR REVEALING QUOTE #23 AT LAST!!!:  "I can quote the bible if I wanted to - but I don't see why I should waste my time and yours by just going to my search engine so that you can abuse me back."

Yes dear Miss Tradesecret, I will always ABUSE your Bible stupidity at all times within this Religion Forum, get used to it!  We thank you for finally coming to terms  in Jesus and I outright owning your faith and Bible ignorance and stupidity, praise!

Oh, oh, SCARED to at least "try" and address my post to you shown in the link below in showing once again your outright Bible stupidity and inept comments? You are so predictable. LOL!

Membership, shhhhhhhhhhhh, let Miss Tradesecret catch her breath before she "tries" to address said post above that continues to make her a blatant LIER!!!

NEXT?

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
What is the spirit? 

So you don't know.

12 days later

Yassine
Debates: 3
Yassine
-->
@Solaris1
[1]
- This is a stupid fallacy of affirming the consequent. Also, it relates to personality, not personhood. It doesn't prove anything. A damaged car rolls poorly even if the driver is perfectly fine. 

- As to the Soul. We ask ourselves, is it impossible? Of course it isn't. Therefore, it's possible. Is it a subject of Deduction (accessible by thought)? No it's not. Is it a subject of Induction (accessible by the senses)? No it's not. Therefore, we can not prove it deductively or inductively. The only other source we can rely on to ascertain the truth of the Soul is Revelation. The claim thus becomes:
P1 the revelation is true
P2 the revelation asserts the existence of the Soul
C Therefore, the existence of the Soul is true.

=> In which case, if P1 & P2 are ascertained to be true, then you got yourself a Soul proof. If not, then not.
Chernobyl
Chernobyl
Premise: I haven't read the comments above mine.

Physically, one cannot prove the existence of a "soul". Cambridge defines "soul" as being:

the spiritual part of a person that some people believe continues to exist in some form after their body has died, or the part of a person that is not physical and experiences deep feelings and emotions [...]

However, the Bible itself mentions souls various times, including within the following verses (also in accordance with the Christian theology): Matthew 10:28, Ezekiel 18:4 & Revelation 6:9.
MeowRanger
MeowRanger
The 21 grams experiment refers to a scientific study published in 1907 by Duncan MacDougall, a physician from Haverhill, Massachusetts. MacDougall hypothesized that souls have physical weight, and attempted to measure the mass lost by a human when the soul departed the body. MacDougall attempted to measure the mass change of six patients at the moment of death. One of the six subjects lost three-quarters of an ounce (21.3 grams). [source]

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@MeowRanger
Probably farted.
MeowRanger
MeowRanger
-->
@zedvictor4
LMAO,  I guess it is possible that the last breath of ours is probably the one out from our butt.