What have you changed your mind about?

Author: Yassine

Total: 163
Yassine
Debates: 3
Yassine
- I've been arguing with you lot about faith, mostly Islam, for a while now. I'm curious, have any of you changed your mind or revised your views about the religion or any topic regarding Islam after our exchanges. If so, what topic? Why? Or why not? 

- Also, what other faith related views have you discarded or adopted in general during your time on this Forum? & why? 

- What factors contribute most to your evolving opinions? Emotional? Intellectual? Popular?...

RationalMadman
Debates: 568
RationalMadman
I actually used to be a very typical accepting person when it came to Islam. I was not raised to dislike it whatsoever.

It was actually by reading and listening to what both sides of the arguments said about Islam that I came to be horrified about the Hadith and Qur'an.

It has also come to my attention that unbelievably, what I am horrified by is actually a watered down translation as many of the western copies of the Qur'an are altered texts without some of the more horrific lines.

So, if you were curious, my mind was changed regarding Islam due to genuinely listening and reading about it. I actually considered both sides of the argument fully and have come to know of the cultures from many inside sources and what they say.

The preacher named Dr. Zakir Naik is a youtuber that I followed quite a bit.

Nothing he said made me less skeptical about Islam, I noticed his habits of double-speak and deflection but he is so good at it and so knowledgable of the Qur'an and Bible that I was impressed regardless.

I have fully understood the Islamic side of the debate but what I don't understand is why they don't just drop the religion and become more secular, rather than cling to their religion and try to redefine it in a more peaceful manner.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
What have you changed your mind about?

aging
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@RationalMadman
I actually used to be a very typical accepting person when it came to Islam. I was not raised to dislike it whatsoever.
- Is that part of your culture?

It was actually by reading and listening to what both sides of the arguments said about Islam that I came to be horrified about the Hadith and Qur'an.
- That's doubtful. You have yet to quote a single reliable Muslim source about any Islam related thing you ever brought up.

It has also come to my attention that unbelievably, what I am horrified by is actually a watered down translation as many of the western copies of the Qur'an are altered texts without some of the more horrific lines.
- This is obviously nonsense. Countless versions of Quran translations are available in heaps in print & online. Do you have any examples of such horrific lines from the Quran?

So, if you were curious, my mind was changed regarding Islam due to genuinely listening and reading about it. I actually considered both sides of the argument fully and have come to know of the cultures from many inside sources and what they say.
- I have been engaging with you for a while, 'genuine' is the furthest thing from reality. In truth, you're a simple hater with no desire for understanding whatsoever. This isn't a bad thing per se, we all have our own biases. But it's a good start to admit it.

The preacher named Dr. Zakir Naik is a youtuber that I followed quite a bit.
Nothing he said made me less skeptical about Islam, I noticed his habits of double-speak and deflection but he is so good at it and so knowledgable of the Qur'an and Bible that I was impressed regardless.
- I'm sure he impresses on the laity. But he doesn't know much of anything. Zakir Naik is salafi btw. Regardless, which of his statements was objectionable to you?

I have fully understood the Islamic side of the debate
- You can't possibly believe such a ridiculous thing...?!

but what I don't understand is why they don't just drop the religion and become more secular, rather than cling to their religion and try to redefine it in a more peaceful manner.
- Maybe because it is objectively superior to Secularism & is also objectively more peaceful. – Since you believe you understood the Islamic side of things, let's have a debate: Islam vs. Secularism. You're confident that Islam is so bad compared to Secularism, show us why that is the case. I'll let you pick whatever specific topics to include -or exclude- in that comparison (Islam vs. Secularism). What exactly would you want to compare between Islam & Secularism?

Yassine
Yassine
-->
@oromagi
- Care to elaborate?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Yassine
- Is that part of your culture?
Idk what exactly you mean by 'my culture' because you are assuming a few things here but if you mean that is it part of Western democracies to accept and tolerate Islam, yes that is definitely part of them. They are almost infinitely more accepting of Islam than Islamic cultures are of them, for instance. It is actually very curious that they are expected to alter laws to protect Muslims from restriction and persecution but that Islamic nations would never do the same in reverse. The only Islamic culture to properly tolerate outsiders influencing its culture seems to be Dubai in the UAE and that's just out of pragmatism as it's expat-reliant in its economics. Even there, fasting for Ramadan and other things get enforced by law (but instead of the fast itself being mandated, you are allowed to not fast but need to do it privately etc)

- That's doubtful. You have yet to quote a single reliable Muslim source about any Islam related thing you ever brought up.
I have even quoted the Qur'an and Hadith themselves, it's you who chooses to ignore them and dismiss what I say as relevant. I am not interested in your approval anyway as you approving of my source has little impact on the source's validity.

- This is obviously nonsense. Countless versions of Quran translations are available in heaps in print & online. Do you have any examples of such horrific lines from the Quran?
oromagi
oromagi
I used to in favor of growing older. Now I am not. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Yassine
- I have been engaging with you for a while, 'genuine' is the furthest thing from reality. In truth, you're a simple hater with no desire for understanding whatsoever. This isn't a bad thing per se, we all have our own biases. But it's a good start to admit it.
Thanks for your opinion of my agenda. I seem to know what I think and feel better than you do, though.

I'm sure he impresses on the laity. But he doesn't know much of anything. Zakir Naik is salafi btw. Regardless, which of his statements was objectionable to you?
What does him being a Salafi have to do with his relevance in Islam as one of its highest scholars and spokespeople at present, to the English speaking world?

but what I don't understand is why they don't just drop the religion and become more secular, rather than cling to their religion and try to redefine it in a more peaceful manner.
- Maybe because it is objectively superior to Secularism & is also objectively more peaceful.
how is it either of those 2 things?
let's have a debate: Islam vs. Secularism. You're confident that Islam is so bad compared to Secularism, show us why that is the case. I'll let you pick whatever specific topics to include -or exclude- in that comparison (Islam vs. Secularism). What exactly would you want to compare between Islam & Secularism?
then the debate should be entitled Sharia vs Secularism because if you want to make it Islam vs, it should be Islam vs Atheism or vs Agnosticism. Secularism refers to the law of the land in theory and enforcement no longer being related to a particular faith and inherently leads to greater tolerance of non-native faiths and cultures.
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@RationalMadman
Idk what exactly you mean by 'my culture' because you are assuming a few things here
- The one you grew up in?

but if you mean that is it part of Western democracies to accept and tolerate Islam, yes that is definitely part of them.
They are almost infinitely more accepting of Islam than Islamic cultures are of them, for instance.
It is actually very curious that they are expected to alter laws to protect Muslims from restriction and persecution
but that Islamic nations would never do the same in reverse.
The only Islamic culture to properly tolerate outsiders influencing its culture seems to be Dubai in the UAE and that's just out of pragmatism as it's expat-reliant in its economics. Even there, fasting for Ramadan and other things get enforced by law (but instead of the fast itself being mandated, you are allowed to not fast but need to do it privately etc)
- All these are good points to make in the debate. I wouldn't wanna spoil everything. 

I have even quoted the Qur'an and Hadith themselves, it's you who chooses to ignore them and dismiss what I say as relevant.
- This never happened. I always address every single Quran verse or Hadith you (or another) bring up. The one doing the dismissing is usually yourself.

I am not interested in your approval anyway as you approving of my source has little impact on the source's validity.
- A Christian source on Islam is obviously not a reliable source...

- I don't know why you always sent me links you obviously have not checked, as they usually contradict your claims. These articles are about mistranslation in general, specifically mistranslation by Westerners of ideological texts by feminists/communists/liberals.... The last article is about early 17th century horrible mistranslations of the Quran by contemptuous Christians.

Thanks for your opinion of my agenda. I seem to know what I think and feel better than you do, though.
- It's not my opinion. It's the truth, which you keep failing to disprove.

What does him being a Salafi have to do with his relevance in Islam as one of its highest scholars and spokespeople at present, to the English speaking world?
- I'm a Sunni Muslim, I don't subscribe to Salafism, which is a sect founded two centuries ago by Ibn Abd Wahab, who taught all Sunnis are either disbelievers or innovators. So, excuse me if I have a fundamental disagreement with the guy. Also, Zakir Naik is not even a scholar of any sort, he is a preacher, albeit a very popular one. I don't generally assume a famous Christian preacher is a Biblical scholar!! – As to the actual highest Sunni scholars in the English speaking world, try Hamza Yusuf, Timothy Winter, Umar Faruq, Nuh Keller...etc. In case you don't know, Sunni Islam is the overwhelmingly predominant denomination of Islam in the world, & historically. It's the trend taught in all Muslim traditional schools across the Muslim world -with the exception of Gulf states (who have been salafisized), Iran & Oman (which are not Sunni) & some corners here & there in various Muslim countries, such as ISIS & its likes.

how is it either of those 2 things?
- Wut?

then the debate should be entitled Sharia vs Secularism because if you want to make it Islam vs, it should be Islam vs Atheism or vs Agnosticism. Secularism refers to the law of the land in theory and enforcement no longer being related to a particular faith and inherently leads to greater tolerance of non-native faiths and cultures.
- So, something like: Sharia Law vs. Secular Law, or Islamic Law vs. Secular Law? Any specific issues you wish to include or exclude? Any particular rules to adhere to?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Yassine
I have become less of a nihilist.

And see that it is reasonable to hypothesise a Universal purpose....A GOD PRINCIPLE....Not to be confused with A GOD.

Popular religion is just based off unscientific naivety and ideological misinformation. Science has long since been able to exceed the naivety of religion,

But remembering and transferring old data is both a blessing and a curse, allowing us to move intellectually forwards, whilst simultaneously holding us back.

Though maybe this is not so bad, and serves a regulatory purpose.

I subsequently hypothesise that the GOD PRINCIPLE is likely to be something technologically inspired rather than directly  of human inspiration.

Given how things currently stand, this would seem to conform to a logical evolutionary process. (Material evolution)
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@Yassine
Interesting question and I like a non-toxic religion forum post. However, I don’t think I have an answer for this one. My Christian beliefs have only been reinforced after a lot of thinking I’ve done.
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@zedvictor4
I have become less of a nihilist.
- To be honest, I don't get a lot of what you usually say. Are you an atheist?

And see that it is reasonable to hypothesise a Universal purpose....A GOD PRINCIPLE....Not to be confused with A GOD.
- What's the difference?

Popular religion is just based off unscientific naivety and ideological misinformation. Science has long since been able to exceed the naivety of religion,
- What exactly makes you hold such opinions?

But remembering and transferring old data is both a blessing and a curse, allowing us to move intellectually forwards, whilst simultaneously holding us back.
Though maybe this is not so bad, and serves a regulatory purpose.
- This is the part I don't get...

I subsequently hypothesise that the GOD PRINCIPLE is likely to be something technologically inspired rather than directly  of human inspiration.
Given how things currently stand, this would seem to conform to a logical evolutionary process. (Material evolution)
- The who wut wut?

Yassine
Yassine
-->
@oromagi
- What changed?
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Mharman
Interesting question and I like a non-toxic religion forum post. However, I don’t think I have an answer for this one. My Christian beliefs have only been reinforced after a lot of thinking I’ve done.
- What is it that deep down makes you believe?

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Yassine
-->@oromagi
- What changed?
I got older.
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@oromagi
- That would do it. Why are you a Catholic?
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Not much of what I hold dear spiritually meshes with monotheism. So not much changes but I don't get to interact with people who aren't practice outside Christianity. It's always better to get info/ views from a practitioner.
oromagi
oromagi
-->@oromagi
- That would do it. Why are you a Catholic?
Born to it.  I don't think any priest would consider my philosophy in accordance with the Apostle's Creed.
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Not much of what I hold dear spiritually meshes with monotheism.
- Are you actually a polytheist? Do you adhere to a religion? What is it that you hold dear?

So not much changes but I don't get to interact with people who aren't practice outside Christianity. It's always better to get info/ views from a practitioner.
- I'm Muslim. We can interact.

Yassine
Yassine
-->
@oromagi
Born to it.  I don't think any priest would consider my philosophy in accordance with the Apostle's Creed.
- What are your contentions against said Creed? What makes you hold on to Catholicism? What would change your mind or convince you otherwise?

oromagi
oromagi
 What are your contentions against said Creed?
Lack of evidence.

What makes you hold on to Catholicism?
Born to it- think of it as my cultural inheritance.  I may no got to church most Sundays anymore but most of the weddings and funeral I attend are at mass. 

What would change your mind or convince you otherwise?
I could no more give up my Catholic heritage than my Irish heritage or my American Puritan heritage.  It is a component of my being.
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@oromagi
- So it's about culture to you, not necessarily faith & devotion? What level of proof would you require to change your mind about your faith? Hypothetically, would you give up your faith to secure a prodigious opportunity or spare yourself a great harm?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Yassine
Yes I am actually a polytheist. Most of the gods I worship/ work with are Germanic or Norse. A few are outside that. 
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Yes I am actually a polytheist. Most of the gods I worship/ work with are Germanic or Norse. A few are outside that. 
- What makes you hold such beliefs? Can you explain to me exactly what you believe about these gods & what they do & how you worship them?

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Yassine
I hold those beliefs due to my interaction with various gods via meditation, shamanic journeying and ritual. I believe all the gods we know of are distinct beings and that they can help us to improve ourselves and in return expect us to help others. They also have knowledge of how spirit and the universe works that we don't. Worship is done with prayers, offerings, ritual and works for others. Also tending to the Earth and spirits of the dead and land.
Incel-chud
Debates: 6
Incel-chud
-->
@Yassine
I've been arguing with you lot about faith, mostly Islam, for a while now. I'm curious, have any of you changed your mind or revised your views about the religion or any topic regarding Islam after our exchanges. If so, what topic? Why? Or why not? 
I have. I usually don't admit it when it happens and just continue to argue, but you have changed my mind about a lot. 

The one thing that annoys me about you is you Don't give straight answers on fruits. Should being a homo be tolerated? My vote is no. You always dodge this yes or no question though. I feel like you are here to spread a positive message about Islam, or at least what most westerners consider positive as opposed to having an honest discussion. 

Despite this holding back of honesty, I have found your words very informative and enlightening. 
Incel-chud
Debates: 6
Incel-chud
-->
@RationalMadman
Penguin makes an English version of the Koran that is pretty well translated. So accurately translated, that Muslims hate the penguin version. 
oromagi
oromagi
-->@oromagi
- So it's about culture to you, not necessarily faith & devotion?

Little faith and poor devotion, yes.

What level of proof would you require to change your mind about your faith?
theophany

Hypothetically, would you give up your faith to secure a prodigious opportunity or spare yourself a great harm?
I have faith in my friends and family.  I would sooner die for them then see them harmed for my benefit.  I could not sell out my family and continue.  So...I guess the answer is no.

If you mean could I pretend to be a Protestant or Muslim or deny my Roman Catholicism  for a day for cash or increased safety, I think the answer is yes- past a certain value point.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Yassine
What is an atheist?

Well.....As defined for sure.

But ideology is a brain held data state which we can all share, and the differences are negligible.

It's output and actions that vary.

I don't accept the principles of naive religions....They're outdated.

So I look to now and the past for clues, in relation to what might occur in the future.

It's all only supposition, just as old religions once were.

And material evolution is  key.

The ongoing developmental process of matter from the universal beginning to a universal end.

We're now within a technological phase of material evolution.....A crossover phase perhaps, from the organically inspired to the Alternatively Inspired.

Maybe the GOD principle is that which will determine the outcome of a distant universal end phase.

And given the predicted time frame, who knows if we can hang on for that long.

And what's the purpose of the GOD principle?

So that everything can happen all over again.

Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I hold those beliefs due to my interaction with various gods via meditation, shamanic journeying and ritual.
- What kind of interaction? Does this have anything to do with psychedelics?

I believe all the gods we know of are distinct beings and that they can help us to improve ourselves and in return expect us to help others.
They also have knowledge of how spirit and the universe works that we don't.
- What is it you intent by a god? What makes you think they are gods, maybe they are spirits or angels or just illusions?

Worship is done with prayers, offerings, ritual and works for others. Also tending to the Earth and spirits of the dead and land.
- Where do you get these rituals? Do you follow a religion?