@3RU7AL
great point

this isn't (and shouldn't be) about "abortion rights"

it's about "self-ownership"

funny thing

(IFF) $$$ = SPEECH (THEN) TAXES AND FINES = COMPELLED SPEECH

the same moral theory that allows a woman to choose whether or not to carry a pregnancy to term

it's the moral theory of voluntarism (anti-coercion) and self-ownership
I don't have enough Kleenex to go through all these posts (Sniff.) Well stated--all of it.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@oromagi
Moral theory does not allow a woman to choose
Yes, it does.

freedom from govt. restraint does.
Government doesn't have the right to "restrain." It assumes this authority through coercion.

Just because I argue that Republicans have no right to make that choice for women does not mean that I think there's a morally coherent justification for choosing abortion. 
You're about to unwittingly broach a coherent moral concept.

I'm not sure there is but I feel compelled to withhold judgement because that is not a choice I'll ever have to face biologically.  I do believe that decision is only the pregnant woman's to make
This, my friend, is an expression of individualist moral theory.

and that if that woman chooses life than the father is obligated morally- he is not burdened with gestation so his choices ended at inception.
If the mother isn't compelled to act in service to her fetus, why should the father be?

Our freedom to choose is limited by the harm we might inflict on others and the harm an absent father inflicts on a child outweighs any claim to harm that father might claim.
Can't the same be said of abortion?

I'm no student for philosophy but I don't think I buy voluntarism by itself as a morally coherent notion.
Voluntarism by itself is coherent. You've even expressed some of it yourself:

Our freedom to choose is limited by the harm we might inflict on others

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@TheUnderdog
Well part of the problem is that you think you should get the thing for everybody else.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Athias
If the mother isn't compelled to act in service to her fetus, why should the father be?
Morally, a mother is compelled to care for her fetus but legally no state should be given such intimate authority, therefore mothers are free to abort.  Morally, fathers are compelled to care for his partner's fetus but legally no state should have the authority to compel that care.  Once a fetus is born and becomes a US citizen, the authority of the State strengthens considerably by Constitutional demand.  The same moral compulsions apply to father and mother but now legal compulsion to care for that child kick in as well.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@oromagi
Morally, a mother is compelled to care for her fetus but legally no state should be given such intimate authority, therefore mothers are free to abort.  Morally, fathers are compelled to care for his partner's fetus but legally no state should have the authority to compel that care.  Once a fetus is born and becomes a US citizen, the authority of the State strengthens considerably by Constitutional demand.  The same moral compulsions apply to father and mother but now legal compulsion to care for that child kick in as well.
Except, "legally" a mother can dump her baby at the steps of a building without penalty--particularly a firehouse, or church.