Questions for debaters/voters

Author: Castin

Total: 36
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Castin
No it wouldn't, don't compare me to him thanks.

I was banned for reasons that are unforgivable considering the context in which I did them, Wylted's ban should have been a permaban. I already know the difference between the situations from that alone. He was treated extremely mercifully by you both publicly and privately.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@Castin
I don't think poorly of you. I don't blame you for being in a spot you aren't capable of performing well in. I blame bsh1.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
There is a difference between being a slave to the community and being respectful of the wishes of the community. You can do the latter and still be capable of making unpopular decisions that are correct. You need to get out of your head RM. You literally spin these fantasies where there are evil people and you are some sort of super hero
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@RationalMadman
All right, man. I was just saying I know bans can embitter a person.

This isn't the first time someone has said I was being too lenient, and I expect it won't be the last. But I don't think Wyl did anything that deserved a permaban.

Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@Castin
Can I ask why you disagree with the CoC's definition of an FF? You've got me curious. 
As per the CoC, if a side forfeits all rounds but actually makes a case in the first round, that's still a full forfeit. 

That was taken from DDO rules, because on DDO, the “first round” rarely has any content, it’s just for acceptance. However, I think it’s possible—at least in theory—for a debater to win a debate even if they forfeit all rounds but the first. For example, in a two-round debate, forfeiting one round, by this definition, would be a full forfeit. That seems unreasonable to me.

Note: This has no bearing on how I carry out vote moderation. This is my personal opinion, not the opinion of moderation. 

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Wylted
No you are still trying to use your own judgement in analyzing debates instead of coming in like a new born alien. It's clear even from your last statement where you try to determine the "strength" of arguments.

I come in like a newborn alien, that’s literally what I do. The person, the premise, the facts and the arguments are treated on their own on their own merit, and compared. I don’t treat anything refuted or not refuted unless it’s described.

What you’re confused (or most likely simpl butthurt) about, I suspect, is that you’re confusing the way judgement has to be used:

To decide whether Argument A refutes Argument B, a voter has to use their judgement. To decide whether pro made better arguments than Con, when there are multiple arguments, a voter has to use their judgement.

It is literally impossible to not use your judgement.

You just have to use your judgement based on what the individuals in the debate say and not make arguments for people, and what they say only. That’s no different from how any other person votes. My main difference is that I try and be transparent I’m explaing the details of why I selected A as refuting B.

Thats so people can object to any specific reasons I’ve given: or as what normally happens, which is being told that my twenty page long core is terrible with absolutely no specific examples or explanations of why.