This is What Consciousness is:

Author: Reece101

Total: 196
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
Stimuli; an energetic reaction.
Yes, everything is conscious. Just to various extents by what we value as “aware”.
Spread the good word.

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
You open a jizzed soda drink, foam popps out. That is an energetic reaction. Therefore Sprite and Coke are conscious,

But seriously, such interactions are with in our cranium, only with further complexity.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Intelligence_06
You open a jizzed soda drink, foam popps out. That is an energetic reaction. Therefore Sprite and Coke are conscious,
Yes, yes they are.

But seriously, such interactions are with in our cranium, only with further complexity.
And yes it is. I assume you’re just talking about chemistry in general.

When does a system become unconscious in your view? What’s the difference between sleep and death when it comes to consciousness?
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Reece101
I suppose so that the bound is top on the line where biological studies declare a thing organism or “living", as opposed to such as bricks and toilet rolls where () wasn't ever life for any sakes. That is only my contemplation and supposition, in my subjectivity.
Nyxified
Debates: 21
Nyxified
-->
@Reece101
It's time to play: person who isn't a scientist uses the simplest possible explanation so they can claim to have the answer to a question that has been studied for thousands of years in order to win internet points.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Intelligence_06
True.

Consciousness is a simulation of an assumed reality, derived from incoming sensory signalling via an energized organic substrate.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Nyxified
As a person of a regularly mocked and berated gender identity who struggled/struggled with mainstream schooling, I'd have thought that you of all people would understand that berating somebody trying their best at creative thinking is not an okay thing to do and is the entire problem with society.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Intelligence_06
True.

Consciousness is a simulation of an assumed reality, derived from incoming sensory signalling via an energized organic substrate
An assumed reality? how far down the taxonomical tree do you roughly go? 
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@zedvictor4
@Reece101
Yah, what’d that convey?
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Intelligence_06
I suppose so that the bound is top on the line where biological studies declare a thing organism or “living", as opposed to such as bricks and toilet rolls where () wasn't ever life for any sakes. That is only my contemplation and supposition, in my subjectivity.
You partly addressed my first question without acknowledging my second question. I was asking within the confines of what you believe.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Nyxified
It's time to play: person who isn't a scientist uses the simplest possible explanation so they can claim to have the answer to a question that has been studied for thousands of years in order to win internet points.
Consciousness, soul, whatever you want to call science. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Reece101
@Intelligence_06
Consciousness is a physiological state, as I described above.....An energized organic computer.

All brain generated imagery is a conversion of external data such as light and sound, into a mental picture or noise.

Other sensory responses also occur which are assessed and utilised in the same way.

As such we always simulate an external reality, and reasonably  assume that what we simulate is accurate.

For sure, the organic computer is an amazing piece of kit.....When it's switched on.

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Reece101
If one is to put within sleep and cannot ever wake up again after that, that would be classified as "death". a "death" that can be reversed and is not permanent is classified as "sleep" in my own perspective.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Intelligence_06

If one is to put within sleep and cannot ever wake up again after that, that would be classified as "death". a "death" that can be reversed and is not permanent is classified as "sleep" in my own perspective.
I added the caveat of consciousness for this exact reason, yet you ignored it. 

“What’s the difference between sleep and death when it comes to consciousness?”
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
We are made of material, a wheel is made of material, therefore we are wheels, and wheels are people.
The logic doesn't quite work out for me.
. . .
Shot in the dark here, but suppose there was something that didn't use neurons and electricity to work,
It used gears, interlocking shapes, abacus, runs on marbles.

Sure one might say it requires energy to move, but it that all consciousness 'is, is energy?
I don't hold that view myself,
Though I'm not 'particularly happy with consciousness being 'shape either,
But shape makes more sense to me, than consciousness is existence.

And I don't mean awareness of one's existence,
I mean a rock 'exists,
It's 'just a rock of course,
Not 'conscious, not human.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Lemming
The brain may be an even more powerful computer than before thought — microscopic branches of brain cells that were once thought to basically serve as mere wiring may actually behave as minicomputers, researchers say.
The most powerful computer known is the brain. The human brain possesses about 100 billion neurons with roughly 1 quadrillion — 1 million billion — connections known as synapses wiring these cells together.

Neurons each act like a relay station for electrical signals. The heart of each neuron is called the soma — a single thin cablelike fiber known as the axon that sticks out of the soma carries nerve signals away from the neuron, while many shorter branches called dendrites that project from the other end of the soma carry nerve signals to the neuron. [Inside the Brain: A Photo Journey Through Time]
Now scientists find dendrites may be more than passive wiring; in fact, they may actively process information.
"Suddenly, it's as if the processing power of the brain is much greater than we had originally thought," study lead author Spencer Smith, a neuroscientist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, said in a statement.

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
We are made of material, a wheel is made of material, therefore we are wheels, and wheels are people.
The logic doesn't quite work out for me.
. . .
Shot in the dark here, but suppose there was something that didn't use neurons and electricity to work,
It used gears, interlocking shapes, abacus, runs on marbles.

Sure one might say it requires energy to move, but it that all consciousness 'is, is energy?
I don't hold that view myself,
Though I'm not 'particularly happy with consciousness being 'shape either,
But shape makes more sense to me, than consciousness is existence.

And I don't mean awareness of one's existence,
I mean a rock 'exists,
It's 'just a rock of course,
Not 'conscious, not human.
Would you say someone can be more conscious than someone else? (Think of mental and physiological conditions people can have.) If so, your argument falls apart. 

It should be referred to as just energy. It sounds woo-woo enough. That’s how most people treat it when talking serious about it.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Reece101
Stimuli; an energetic reaction.
Yes, everything is conscious. Just to various extents by what we value as “aware”.
Spread the good word.
you're going to love this,

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@3RU7AL
40 minutes in it started to get interesting. It touches on anti-realism.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
But I still don't see the logic 'working,
And refer you to the wheel and the human, both made of material, energy, yet there is clearly a difference.

Some people  take caffeine, claiming it makes them more aware, more conscious.

Some people don't take their anti-psychotics, claiming they are 'less aware, less conscious, when under the effect of said drugs.

So why should I 'not be more conscious than someone else?

Ah wait, just realized you meant that as an argument 'for your side,

Remove the head, what consciousness remains in the body?
Reflexes, spasms, material,
Not anything 'enough to be called 'consciousness.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@Reece101
There exist degrees of consciousness. The minimal consciousness is twoness ergo othernerss.  If the two have graviational link, then that is the minimal consciousness awareness.  the two are connected via mass-attraction.

The most complex consciousness is woman { X x ]. With man { X y } a close 2nd. 

Humans > cetacceans > primates{?} > birds > pigs > rodents > ergo animals,

fungi > plants > Eukaryotes > Prokryotes ,

molecules > atoms > sub-atomic particles > Graviton-Darkion  { single integrity with 14 nodal events { 0-13 } and 91 lines-or-relationship }.

.....1.............................5p...........7p............................11p.............13p...........G{ outer }....................
-
-
0..............................................6.................................................12..................Observable Time inside

-------Fullers-------abstract great circle--------central spine of the 3D torodial tube-------------------------------

........................3p............................................9.................................................Observable Time inside
-
-
.................2p............4................................8...........10..........................................DE { inner }..............

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
Remove the head, what consciousness remains in the body?
Reflexes, spasms, material,
Not anything 'enough to be called 'consciousness.
Can’t individual pieces of a system be conscious, just to a lower extent? What we’re talking about is the conveying of information. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
They can convey information, but I'm doubtful (Not certain) that they merit the word conscious.

A glass half full contains water,
A glass and three halfs, is overflowing.

Sure a glass 3/4 also has water, but it's the 'state, the 'shape, the 'being that matters,
Maybe, I'm talking over my head here, stabs in not 'quite fully dark room.

Just being energy, or conveying information isn't enough for it to 'be consciousness.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
Just being energy, or conveying information isn't enough for it to 'be consciousness.
You’re talking about the immaterial and the inexpressive. What is it?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
Can you rephrase the question?
I'm unsure what you're asking.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
What is consciousness if it’s immaterial and inexpressive?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Reece101
As a dualist and simulation theorist, I have got an easy answer for you.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@RationalMadman
Alright hit me.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Reece101
Consciousness is in the experience realm, what you are trying to dissect is as indecipherable as Mario trying to crack how he keeps being made to jump.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
A cup of water overflowing is material and expressive,
So is the half cup of water.

But each is different than the other.

A turning clock is different than a human.

I'm not saying consciousness is immaterial or inexpressive, quite, I think,
Though maybe I am a 'bit,

A shape or even a concept, still need 'materialization, to be in working order.

. . .

Not making an argument with below, just thoughts,
My mind goes to Osmosis Jones movie, and book called Andromeda Strain.
In book I think one of scientists early theories was that the strain was intelligent,
Ah, another book, series, My Teacher is an Alien, there was some blanket like intelligent fungus alien,

Descartes arguing animals not having souls or consciousness, was it?
. . .
Hm, rambling my thoughts,

Material requires a certain degree to freeze or melt, to thaw or chill.