Total: 102
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@n8nrgim
if a person is a hermit or recluse that doesnt participate in society
Non sequitur.

maybe they have a claim to not owing society anything or not wanting to pay taxes.
And just like Double_R, you're glossing over the objection.

anyone who participates in common society owes that government for what it does, in at least some capacity.
Unless delineated or stipulated in a willfully entered contract, then NO.

it's irrational to say otherwise. 
Yes, it's "irrational" to object to one's funds and resources being seized with the threat of deadly force.

the dude arguing against this, is crazy
"Dude" is right here. There's no need to circumvent. You can address me directly.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
there is a hard upper limit to how much comfort and entertainment any particular human can enjoy in one lifetime
Why would there be a limit on that which is not quantifiable?
because dopamine response has a hard upper limit (with diminishing returns)

and because human experience is finite
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
strangely enough,

the people running this shit-show feel like they can live with a "clean-conscience" if the slaves "VOLUNTARILY" participate

this is the key benefit of the current system over say, FLAGRANT TYRANNY
I would personally agree with this. Though if we are to maintain our examples and standards, there is no way for either of us to know how "clean" their consciences feel.
there is a lot of effort made to gain "the consent" and or "assent" of the general population

this is most likely because people who are given "a choice" (even if it is technically a "false choice") are more likely to blame themselves than to blame those who gave them the "false choice" and or "the system itself" and are subsequently going to be easier to control (less chance of La Révolution)

this leads to less overt human suffering and or outright slaughter, which sort of became a "problem" perhaps not for the "commanders" but for the peripheral participants and foot-soldiers in forceful government action (Jallianwala Bagh for example)

and generally speaking, (IFF) someone has a conscience (THEN) reducing overt suffering and or outright slaughter is considered preferable
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
because dopamine response has a hard upper limit (with diminishing returns)

and because human experience is finite
Fair enough.

there is a lot of effort made to gain "the consent" and or "assent" of the general population

this is most likely because people who are given "a choice" (even if it is technically a "false choice") are more likely to blame themselves than to blame those who gave them the "false choice" and or "the system itself" and are subsequently going to be easier to control (less chance of La Révolution)
I 100% agree with this. The two-party system for example is nothing more than a catalyst for Hegelian dialectic reasoning.

this leads to less overt human suffering and or outright slaughter, which sort of became a "problem" perhaps not for the "commanders" but for the peripheral participants and foot-soldiers in forceful government action (Jallianwala Bagh for example)
Good example.

and generally speaking, (IFF) someone has a conscience (THEN) reducing overt suffering and or outright slaughter is considered preferable
And this is the reason I oppose arguments against "laissez-faire." I do believe that people generally have a conscience.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
I do believe that people generally have a conscience.
i'm not as confident

Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
i'm not as confident

I don't believe that snapshots of horrific incidents set the standard for the conscience exhibited by people in general. But admittedly, I can only speak to my own experience. I, like many, have experienced both the good and bad, and yet I still have faith in people--politicians and members of government excluded. What would it state about the attempt to actualize ideals, when the the foundation--people at their best--is dismissed based on platitudes using "human nature"?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
I don't believe that snapshots of horrific incidents set the standard for the conscience exhibited by people in general. But admittedly, I can only speak to my own experience. I, like many, have experienced both the good and bad, and yet I still have faith in people--politicians and members of government excluded. What would it state about the attempt to actualize ideals, when the the foundation--people at their best--is dismissed based on platitudes using "human nature"?
with very few exceptions, power corrupts
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
with very few exceptions, power corrupts
All the more reason to object to government, and decentralize. The only justifiable power is individual power. I'm often dumbfounded but not surprised by the responses to individualist arguments, which at their very worst are proposing that one's time, labor, and resources should be doled out subject to one's own decisions.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
do you have some plan to mitigate the influence of warlords and other cults-of-personality ?
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
do you have some plan to mitigate the influence of warlords and other cults-of-personality ?
Governments mitigate warlords? Name a more influential warlord than government itself?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
The goals which my arguments favor does not particularly include the "mitigation" of warlords and other cults-of-personality.