What is a female?

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 48
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
I don’t think the left or right has a good answer for this question.

One right wing definition: Someone with female chromosomes.  5 year olds don’t know what chromosomes are.  Come up with a better definition.

Another right wing definition: Someone who can get pregnant.  Some bio females can’t get pregnant.  Come up with a better definition.

One left wing definition: Someone with a female brain.  5 year olds can’t tell a male brain apart from a female brain; they aren’t doctors.  I can’t tell the male and female brain apart, and I’m 20 years old.  Come up with a better definition.

Another left wing definition: Someone who presents as female.  There are young cis males who grow their hair out and are thin.  People think they are girls.  Similarly, some cis girls when they are young wear their hair short and people think they are male.  Come up with a better definition.

RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
I totally understand the confusion. Not gonna defend the cancel culture bullshit happening either.

I have no issue with people crossdressing and being unlike gender norms but when society is dictating that even passports and official IDs need to use the term gender when meaning sex and then conform M or F (not M vs W for adults or B vs G for underage) then we really are in an age of bullshit.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
In my opinion, the better definition is a biological one due to the psychological distinction is much harder to draw the line. Plus, the fact that "you feel like a man" or so with "women" basically come with gender roles or stereotypes or similar things: You feel like what you thinks girls would feel like, so you are trans girl if so. However, since anatomies shape how men and women produce value in society(for example, due to that males generally having more strength, there are more male construction workers, and due to that females are generally more compassionate, there are more female Elementary school teachers), not the other way, although everyone can say what they are with their freedom of expression, There essentially no difference with a trans woman and a femboy biologically unless a surgery is performed and anatomy has been changed.

I think that the motive for the second classification based on psychology, ironically, is based on social discrimination. In fact, I think there is no reason a boy should be mocked by doing a "feminine" thing resulting in him(now her) thinking she would have been a girl all this time. No. Male is not associated with strength nor female with compassion fundamentally, and I think society should be OK for calling a person by their biological definition apart from what they appear as, masculine or feminine. Reporting male on someone that looks, acts, and has hobbies in alignment in what we call "feminine behavior" because there is a penis and 2 balls should not be frowned upon. The male and female classification should be for what set of anatomical organs you have, and not an implication of what roles you serve in society, and you should not be pressured to do anything or not do something because of your gender.

It is crazy, that TERFs only add to this stereotype by not only excluding trans people but actually trying to distinct more from female to male. They are achieving the complete opposite of what they initially intended.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
And obviously males are better at running and women better at acrobatics in terms of Olympics. If there must be a "male" and "female" category, then I suggest cutting a "male" and "female" cardboard outline in which such as that if you have this amount of testosterone you are auto-qualified as a man no matter what organs you have and the inverse for oestrogen, etc. Putting biological females with mutated levels of testosterone comparable to that of a male athlete in a female category is indistinguishable from putting a dude in there, and neither is fair biologically.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
Gender norms are the derivative and the case-specific of the biological distinction, not the opposite. Psychological classifications only reinforces this misunderstanding because before we develop a way for a man to truly have functioning breasts, ovaries and vaginas in replacement to penises and testicles all the "trans" people are really based just on gender norms or "this is how a woman looks and thinks like, I want to be like that!"
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@TheUnderdog
I’m not sure what you mean by your critique of chromosomes. Whether five year olds know what chromosomes are is irrelevant, it is what those chromosomes do. That seems to be the most useful way to determine sex in my opinion- whether or not a Y chromosome is present.

There isn’t one thing that makes someone a woman or not, though.

Women have many unique organs, yet removing them through a hysterectomy doesn’t make them stop being a woman. A guy pumping himself with progesterone doesn’t mean he is a woman.

It is the same as saying someone born with an extra finger or who has Down’s syndrome is still human. Yet, humans have 10 fingers and 46 chromosomes. To some degree, while I detest the term, it is a social construct. However, I want to be clear since that term is misused. There are differences biologically, those differences matter, and they are innate without the ability to artificially alter them, no matter what said person feels about the matter.

Really, in the end, instinct seems to tell us what a woman is ~99% of the time (probably because of its usefulness in mating). The only people that can’t have been actively fighting their instincts because of pressure to conform to an ideology.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TheUnderdog
Egg producer.
Kritikal
Debates: 9
Kritikal
-->
@RationalMadman
when society is dictating that even passports and official IDs need to use the term gender when meaning sex and then conform M or F (not M vs W for adults or B vs G for underage) then we really are in an age of bullshit.
Right on
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
sigh

"Female brain" someone hasn't listened to a word leftists say
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@bmdrocks21
I’m not sure what you mean by your critique of chromosomes. Whether five year olds know what chromosomes are is irrelevant, it is what those chromosomes do. That seems to be the most useful way to determine sex in my opinion- whether or not a Y chromosome is present.
His hot-takes lack any sort of critical thought. It’s actually quite amusing
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@RationalMadman
@Intelligence_06
@Theweakeredge
Here’s a question to any leftist:

How can you prove I’m not lying when I say I’m a woman?
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Quit blaming women because you either can't get laid or can't figure out who you want to sleep with.
Bones
Debates: 31
Bones
-->
@TheUnderdog
If the criterion for whether a definition is sound rests on it's cognitive prehension towards 5 year olds, 95 percent of our sciences will be yielded void.   
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ILikePie5
Comes down entirely to semantics. I am in agreement with you anyway. This is the whole problem with the way the current definitions are. The gender of 'woman' is defined as 'adult human female' and 'female' is solely about sex, not gender, no matter what the fuck the cancel culture says about that.

So, until a word is invented to refer to the gender role females play, such as lady but perhaps a less posh and classy one as to be a lady you need to be well-spoken, very fashionable and wealthy, we basically have only 'lady', 'madam', 'ma'am' and/or 'miss/ms/mrs' as the words for a woman that are gender based and not sex-based which is not quite how we are using them (as in we use woman the way we should be using 'lady' etc).
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Actually 'whore' and 'slut' are gender roles too but I feel that will be bad to bring up here as they connote insults and demeaning tone when in reality they mean a woman who is very sexually active and passionate and shouldn't be insulting.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@zedvictor4
Fair definition if we are willing to teach 5 year olds about human reproduction so they know who had eggs and who has sperm.  Like if you think we should teach reproduction to 5 year olds.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
And like this comment if you don’t think we should teach reproduction to 5 year olds.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Bones
5 year olds need to know the difference between men and women.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Theweakeredge
Alright, how would you define women?
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@ILikePie5
Your profile says you are male, so this is blatant contradiction.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Intelligence_06
Your profile says you are male, so this is blatant contradiction.
I haven’t officially come out of the closet yet. I’ve kept it to myself and haven’t told anyone.

Try again.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@ILikePie5
You are lying until your claims and your actual evidence aligns. Either you change your gender to female on your account or you take back those words.

The separation of account and user is needed. The account is a projection of the user. Let’s not talk about how a coat of code can be “female”, a male person can also use a “female” account (V-tubers for example). No one can prove that, not even if they dox.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TheUnderdog
Nope.

Understanding evolves.

And also sets a precedent, whereby teach them about reproduction..... And LGBT etc.  misinformation, will be expected in the curriculum as well.

Force feeding young minds with such  misinformation is irresponsible. And undoubtedly leads to developmental problems as kids mature sexually.

Same as force feeding kids religion...... Which undoubtedly leads to social division, and wider social problems in later life.

Unfortunately though, these days there's social media to contend with too.....Which certainly has led to a rise in socio-psychological problems.

Tell kids they're being bullied on line and they will fall for it hook line and sinker, just as effective to tell them to ignore, and laugh at the stupidity of idiots.

But then it certainly appears that some people acquire a morbid pleasure from victimisation.

In my opinion of course.
Bones
Debates: 31
Bones
-->
@TheUnderdog
We shouldn't base the differentiations between male and female on how children differentiations between them. I would wager that some children differentiate between male and female based on hair length etc 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Intelligence_06
You are lying until your claims and your actual evidence aligns. Either you change your gender to female on your account or you take back those words.
So if I change my gender to female I’m a female? And the fact you’re asking for “proof” makes you transphobic

The separation of account and user is needed. The account is a projection of the user. Let’s not talk about how a coat of code can be “female”, a male person can also use a “female” account (V-tubers for example). No one can prove that, not even if they dox.
That’s the point. How do you prove it? There is no way to prove it
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@ILikePie5
So if I change my gender to female I’m a female? And the fact you’re asking for “proof” makes you transphobic
Do I even care what "some" people say are "transphobic"? These days, you get called transphobic even if you just acknowledge that male and female are definitely existent genders. I would argue that if your account shows that you are female, your account is female, that is what it means when you say "You are female". It could also mean that the user behind this projection is female, but that would be doxxing. I am talking to an account projection, not an IRL person controlling some account on some debating website.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@ILikePie5
That’s the point. How do you prove it? There is no way to prove it
I am not skilled enough nor evil enough to track you down through the dark web, but it could be proven. Right now, I only know that I am talking directly to an account and indirectly to a person owning this account, while not knowing who this person is. I don't even need to know. What am I even talking about?

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@ILikePie5
His hot-takes lack any sort of critical thought. It’s actually quite amusing
Still trying to figure out if every post is bait

DebateAllDaTings
DebateAllDaTings
-->
@TheUnderdog
So because a 5 year old can't understand it, it is not a good definition?

That's not a very good argument. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Intelligence_06
I am not skilled enough nor evil enough to track you down through the dark web, but it could be proven. Right now, I only know that I am talking directly to an account and indirectly to a person owning this account, while not knowing who this person is. I don't even need to know. What am I even talking about?
Even if you could, you can’t prove I’m not a female. How would you prove I’m a male and not a female? My history revolves around being a male but I could easily claim that I just acted like that to prevent societal pressures. There’s no standard of proof to prove someone is a male or female when gender and sex are construed as two different items