The Three Weeks

Author: rosends

Total: 50
rosends
Debates: 0
rosends
The fast of the 17th of Tammuz is observed this year on this coming Sunday (though the date is actually Saturday, we push it off so that we do not fast on the Sabbath).

This begins a 3 weeks period of mourning and introspection culminating in the fast of the 9th of the month of Av (also, pushed to a Sunday).

The first fast is a "dawn til nightfall" fast on which only eating and drinking are forbidden. The 9th of Av is a 25 hour fast which has additional limitations on behavior.

This is a reversal of the month of mourning after the loss of a family member. In that time of personal mourning, our sadness lessens slightly over a month so the restrictions get less and less. In this communal mourning (over the lass of the temples in Jerusalem and a host of other tragedies) the limitations increase.

33 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
The fast of the 17th of Tammuz is observed this year on this coming Sunday (though the date is actually Saturday, we push it off so that we do not fast on the Sabbath).

This begins a 3 weeks period of mourning and introspection culminating in the fast of the 9th of the month of Av (also, pushed to a Sunday).

The first fast is a "dawn til nightfall" fast on which only eating and drinking are forbidden. The 9th of Av is a 25 hour fast which has additional limitations on behavior.

This is a reversal of the month of mourning after the loss of a family member. In that time of personal mourning, our sadness lessens slightly over a month so the restrictions get less and less. In this communal mourning (over the lass of the temples in Jerusalem and a host of other tragedies) the limitations increase.
Is this the period when the Jews are the dirtiest?

Observances:
There are various mourning-related customs and observances that are followed for the entire three-week period (until midday of the 10th of the Hebrew month of Av, or—if that date falls on Friday—the morning of that day). We do not cut our hair, purchase new clothes, or listen to music. No weddings are held.
The 17th of Tammuz
17 Tammuz is a fast day, on which we refrain from eating and drinking from dawn to nightfall. The fast commemorates five tragic events that occurred on this date, including Moses breaking the Tablets and breaching of the walls of Jerusalem.
Learn more about 17 Tammuz 
Those who mourn the destruction of Jerusalem will merit seeing it rebuilt with the coming of MoshiachThe Nine Days
The final Nine Days of the Three Weeks are a time of intensified mourning. Starting on the first of Av, we refrain from eating meat or drinking wine, and from wearing freshly laundered clothes.
Learn more about the Nine Days
The 9th of Av
Nine Av is a more stringent fast than 17 Tammuz. It begins at sunset of the previous evening, when we gather in the synagogue to read the Book of Lamentations. Besides fasting, we abstain from additional pleasures: washing, applying lotions or creams, wearing leather shoes, and marital relations. Until midday, we sit on the floor or on low stools.
Learn more about the 9th of Av
The Inner Message
There is more to the Three Weeks than fasting and lamentation. Our sages tell us that those who mourn the destruction of Jerusalem will merit seeing it rebuilt with the coming of Moshiach. May that day come soon, and then all the mournful dates on the calendar will be transformed into days of tremendous joy and happiness.
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
The dirtiest? No, why?

I feel I was substantially dirtier when I spent the afternoon playing tackle football with friends, right after the rain ended.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
The dirtiest? No, why?

I feel I was substantially dirtier when I spent the afternoon playing tackle football with friends, right after the rain ended.
The Three Weeks observation requires Jews to abstain from washing, bathing, changing clothes etc. etc.

Observances:
There are various mourning-related customs and observances that are followed for the entire three-week period (until midday of the 10th of the Hebrew month of Av, or—if that date falls on Friday—the morning of that day). We do not cut our hair, purchase new clothes, or listen to music. No weddings are held.
The 17th of Tammuz
17 Tammuz is a fast day, on which we refrain from eating and drinking from dawn to nightfall. The fast commemorates five tragic events that occurred on this date, including Moses breaking the Tablets and breaching of the walls of Jerusalem.
Those who mourn the destruction of Jerusalem will merit seeing it rebuilt with the coming of MoshiachThe Nine Days
The final Nine Days of the Three Weeks are a time of intensified mourning. Starting on the first of Av, we refrain from eating meat or drinking wine, and from wearing freshly laundered clothes.
The 9th of Av
Nine Av is a more stringent fast than 17 Tammuz. It begins at sunset of the previous evening, when we gather in the synagogue to read the Book of Lamentations. Besides fasting, we abstain from additional pleasures: washing, applying lotions or creams, wearing leather shoes, and marital relations. Until midday, we sit on the floor or on low stools.
The Inner Message
There is more to the Three Weeks than fasting and lamentation. Our sages tell us that those who mourn the destruction of Jerusalem will merit seeing it rebuilt with the coming of Moshiach. May that day come soon, and then all the mournful dates on the calendar will be transformed into days of tremendous joy and happiness.

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
You clearly have been misinformed. Only during the nine days do some Jews refrain from showering, bathing and swimming for pleasure. For the sake of cleanliness, bathing is allowed (except on the fast of the ninth of Av, itself, but even then, some washing for cleanliness and ritual purposes is allowed.

Also, the prohibition for clothing has to do with "freshly laundered" clothes. So they get laundered before the 9 days starts and shaken out, laid on the floor briefly or worn quickly and taken off so they aren't "freshly laundered" but are still clean.

You really have a lot to learn. I'm glad I am here to help you!
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
You clearly have been misinformed. Only during the nine days do some Jews refrain from showering, bathing and swimming for pleasure. For the sake of cleanliness, bathing is allowed (except on the fast of the ninth of Av, itself, but even then, some washing for cleanliness and ritual purposes is allowed.

Also, the prohibition for clothing has to do with "freshly laundered" clothes. So they get laundered before the 9 days starts and shaken out, laid on the floor briefly or worn quickly and taken off so they aren't "freshly laundered" but are still clean.

You really have a lot to learn. I'm glad I am here to help you!
So even among Jews they cannot agree on how to stay clean. Some do! Others don’t.
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
So even among Jews they cannot agree on how to stay clean. Some do! Others don’t.
Finally you are starting to say something that approaches a relationship to reality! A breakthrough!

Among Jews there is often disagreement about everything, yes. I'm also glad that you have mastered bolding a section as if your pointing it out is somehow an exposé of some sort.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends

Finally you are starting to say something that approaches a relationship to reality! A breakthrough!

Among Jews there is often disagreement about everything, yes. I'm also glad that you have mastered bolding a section as if your pointing it out is somehow an exposé of some sort.
So now we have to apply the smell test when we are with Jews because Jews even disagree of how to stay clean. 
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
So now we have to apply the smell test when we are with Jews because Jews even disagree of how to stay clean. 
You don't have to take any test you don't want to. Just walk away because complex discussions are well beyond you and that's what we are all about.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends

You don't have to take any test you don't want to. Just walk away because complex discussions are well beyond you and that's what we are all about.
So your definition of complex discussion is a room full of unwashed Jews  disagreeing on how to stay clean where a smell test is optional and redundant. 
So Jews do agree on some things like complex atmospherics in all things Jewish.
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
So your definition of complex discussion is a room full of unwashed Jews  disagreeing on how to stay clean where a smell test is optional and redundant. 
No, that isn't my definition. Your inferential skills are lacking. Is there anything you ARE actually good at?
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
No, that isn't my definition. Your inferential skills are lacking. Is there anything you ARE actually good at?
Dealing with minority groups!!
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@rosends
Ritual is devised and ritual is observed and ritual is transferred.

Though ritual has no greater meaning than the ritual that it has become.

Why would ritualism be the requirement of a pragmatic GOD?
rosends
rosends
-->
@zedvictor4
Sometimes the value of ritual is intrinsic to the ritual and sometimes the value is in the adherence and demonstration of subsuming the self. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
Ritual is devised and ritual is observed and ritual is transferred.

Though ritual has no greater meaning than the ritual that it has become.

The Three Weeks observation requires Jews to abstain from washing, bathing, changing clothes etc. etc.
Jesus and Moses were put through a similar test. i.e  Jews must remain unwashed for a period of time.
Moses stays on Mount Sinai for 40 days and nights (Exodus 24:18). Before his temptation, Jesus fasted "forty days and forty nights" in the Judean desert (Matthew 4:2, Mark 1:13, Luke 4:2).

Observances:
The 17th of Tammuz
The 9th of Av
The Inner Message

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Look at the douche atheist trying to tell the Jewish people exactly what their religious practices are. Funny how somebody complained the religious form was slow and now we have a brand new atheist here stirring shit in every single post made in the last 2 months. But hey theists are the lying dishonest ones. Mods probably know which account it is to and told him it was okay because the religion forum needed stirred up a little bit.
rosends
rosends
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
The sad part is that the quality of trolling is so low. Cut and paste, inaccurately summarize, make basic grammatical and logical mistakes...I guess I expected more from the troll.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
The sad part is that the quality of trolling is so low. Cut and paste, inaccurately summarize, make basic grammatical and logical mistakes...I guess I expected more from the troll.
The Jews set their expectations so high that even Jesus the only begotten son of God could not convince them he was their Messiah.

Unless Jesus picks another country for his expected return. He will suffer the same rejection by the Jews.
rosends
rosends
Sigh
"וְאָמַרְתָּ֖ אֶל־פַּרְעֹ֑ה כֹּ֚ה אָמַ֣ר יְהֹוָ֔ה בְּנִ֥י בְכֹרִ֖י יִשְׂרָאֵֽל׃"

If one understands that then one knows the error in the claim. Seriously poor trolling. Like level 1 stuff. Sad.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
Sigh
"וְאָמַרְתָּ֖ אֶל־פַּרְעֹ֑ה כֹּ֚ה אָמַ֣ר יְהֹוָ֔ה בְּנִ֥י בְכֹרִ֖י יִשְׂרָאֵֽל׃"

If one understands that then one knows the error in the claim. Seriously poor trolling. Like level 1 stuff. Sad.
But is it correct to call Israel a nation of first born males. Are Jews that chauvinistic?
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
Wow...another swing and a miss. Every time I think you have hit intellectual rock bottom, you produce a shovel and start digging.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends

Wow...another swing and a miss. Every time I think you have hit intellectual rock bottom, you produce a shovel and start digging.

Sigh

Calling Israel the first born son implies Israel is a nation of males. Very chauvinistic!!
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@rosends
Yep I understand the human need for ritualism.

Even if it is just the manner in which we clean our teeth.

We are creatures of habit.

But:

This was the key question.....Which you failed to address.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
God lovesssssssssss  when you skip a meal or two for him. 
Take 6 seconds to have that seap in.

And a 4.
And 3
And 2
And a 1. 

Mmm ,  Yeah. 

Picture him looking over us and seeing  a bunch of us not eating for him.   
Picture it. 
 (  rubbing his six nipples saying from side to side real slow like.  ) 
Its.
Well its silly isn't it ?
At the least it is odd.  
Its Odd for a god.
' snickles ' 

I highly doubt a god thing wants from us. 
I can't see it. 
Maybe I'm not that good enough. 
Maybe my belief glands have not fully developed. 
My mom did drop me a few times. 

I am going to skip breakfast today for god.  
Amen. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
When ya die there will be a bloke with a list. 
#462 .     How many fasts did you participate in ? 
Answering this with ( nil ) does not at all help your chances of  living out the rest of your life.   
Thats like your life after your death. 

How many points do you get for fasting? 
Im thinking like ( helping 3 old ladies across a street )  =  (  one skip a meal for god. ) thats approximately. 
Approx. 
?

rosends
rosends
-->
@zedvictor4

God wants to give us opportunities to improve ourselves and to show our understanding of our place in the world. Ritual both in its internal parts and its entirety affords that opportunity. 

I'm not sure,  though,  what you mean by a "pragmatic"  God. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends

God wants to give us opportunities to improve ourselves and to show our understanding of our place in the world. Ritual both in its internal parts and its entirety affords that opportunity. 

I'm not sure,  though,  what you mean by a "pragmatic"  God. 
Ritualism is essential to Jews because they are easier to repeat than sincerity.

The belief that it is necessary for rites or repeated sets of actions to be carried out. Webster Dictionary
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila

pragmatic
 adjective
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

prag·mat·ic | \ prag-ˈma-tik  \
variants: or less commonly pragmatical \ prag-ˈma-ti-kəl  \
Definition of pragmatic

1relating to matters of fact or practical affairs often to the exclusion of intellectual or artistic matters practical as opposed to idealistica pragmatic leadera pragmatic [=practical] approach to health care
2relating to or being in accordance with philosophical pragmatism
3archaic
a(1)BUSY
(2)OFFICIOUS

Maybe someday, you'll be right about something. Maybe.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends

pragmatic
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

prag·mat·ic | \ prag-ˈma-tik  \
variants: or less commonly pragmatical \ prag-ˈma-ti-kəl  \
Definition of pragmatic
1relating to matters of fact or practical affairs often to the exclusion of intellectual or artistic matters practical as opposed to idealistica pragmatic leadera pragmatic [=practical] approach to health care
2relating to or being in accordance with philosophical pragmatism
3archaic
a(1)BUSY
(2)OFFICIOUS

Maybe someday, you'll be right about something. Maybe.
Hard to see God as pragmatic (practical) for picking the Jews as his chosen people. Soon after the Jews agreed to circumcision God’s covenant with the Jews began to fracture. Circumcision appeared to have reduced the sex drives of the Jews resulting in the diminishing Jewish population.

To add insult to injury the Jews even rejected Jesus the only begotten son of God and demanded that Jesus be crucified.

Today circumcised Muslims outnumber circumcised jews. The covenant of circumcision has shifted to the Muslim nations. There  are  1.9 billion muslims to 14 million  Jews. 
Arabs own land 649 times the size of Israel.
Arabs own 2/3 of the world oil reserves.

The greatest achievements of the Israelites was their architecture, monotheistic religion, Ten Commandments, and their military. However, they were not enough to save the civilization. They fell due to the decline in leadership within the civilization, and attacks and conquest from the Assyrians and Babylonians.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@rosends
Pragmatic.

ADJECTIVE:   Dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations.

One would just hope/expect that if there were an actual creator GOD, it would be omni-sensible.

In my opinion ritualism isn't the remotest bit sensible. It's people doing daft stuff for no real reason.

Any GOD watching would be laughing it's socks off.

Perhaps that's it.

Maybe we are just entertainment.