Author: rosends

Total: 50
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
Pragmatic.

ADJECTIVE:   Dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations.

One would just hope/expect that if there were an actual creator GOD, it would be omni-sensible.

In my opinion ritualism isn't the remotest bit sensible. It's people doing daft stuff for no real reason.

Any GOD watching would be laughing it's socks off.

Perhaps that's it.

Maybe we are just entertainment.
God created Adam and Eve for his amusement. He watched them running naked in the Garden of Eden.

Genesis 3:9-11
9And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
10And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
11And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat? (KJV).
Here God only got upset when Adam and Eve covered their naked bodies.

But Luke tells us God carried his obsession even further with Mary. He gang raped Mary in a threesome with the Holy Spirit
Luke 1:34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called[b] the Son of God. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Shila
Genesis 9. 10.11.

So who documented this stuff whilst GOODO was amusing itself with Adam and Eves frolicking.

Because GODDO was only any good with a tablet and chisel.

It hadn't yet invented pens or word processing.
Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
Genesis 9. 10.11.

So who documented this stuff whilst GOODO was amusing itself with Adam and Eves frolicking.

Because GODDO was only any good with a tablet and chisel.

It hadn't yet invented pens or word processing.
God tried everything to encourage humans to welcome him into their homes. His voyeurism continued to grow after Adam and Eve left the Garden.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Shila
Why didn't it just knock on the door?

Instead of spying through the windows.

Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
Why didn't it just knock on the door?

Instead of spying through the windows.
The presence of God is very unsettling to humans. 

Genesis 3:9-11
9And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
10And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
11And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat? (KJV).
Here God only got upset when Adam and Eve covered their naked bodies.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Shila
Nighty night,

Sleep tight.

And if a Lord wishes to watch over me tonight,

Then it's more than welcome.
rosends
rosends
-->
@zedvictor4
In my opinion ritualism isn't the remotest bit sensible. It's people doing daft stuff for no real reason.
And in my opinion, ritual is incredibly useful, sensible and practical. I see a different end, so I understand different means. I see clear reasons so I see pragmatism in assigning the method.
Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
Nighty night,

Sleep tight.

And if a Lord wishes to watch over me tonight,

Then it's more than welcome.
The Bible describes what God looks for, mostly virgins.

Luke 1:28 The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”
29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be.30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called[b] the Son of God. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@rosends
There's no difference between ritual and routine other than one is considered more sacred. You just have to use the right words around atheist and then I don't feel like it's religious.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@rosends
For sure.

Group activities can be fun.

And we find comfort in routine.

And safety in the pack.

But whether or not a pragmatic God would finds  rituals dedicated to it necessary, is unlikely.

But of course.

Whether or not there is a GOD, pragmatic or otherwise, is still to be confirmed.

And then which one.

Or which ones Poly.

Go dance naked around the camp fire, and enjoy.

On my sabbath I will be donning my lycra and cycling 50 miles with my pack of MAMIL'S.
Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4

The Bible describes what God looks for, mostly virgins to help him re-establish the Davidic Kingdom. One would expect God to be actively searching for virgins during this type of celebration.

Luke 1:28 The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”
29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be.30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called[b] the Son of God.

But the three weeks  period is when the Jews are the dirtiest?

Observances:
There are various mourning-related customs and observances that are followed for the entire three-week period (until midday of the 10th of the Hebrew month of Av, or—if that date falls on Friday—the morning of that day). We do not cut our hair, purchase new clothes, or listen to music. No weddings are held.
The 17th of Tammuz
17 Tammuz is a fast day, on which we refrain from eating and drinking from dawn to nightfall. The fast commemorates five tragic events that occurred on this date, including Moses breaking the Tablets and breaching of the walls of Jerusalem.
Learn more about 17 Tammuz
Those who mourn the destruction of Jerusalem will merit seeing it rebuilt with the coming of MoshiachThe Nine Days
The final Nine Days of the Three Weeks are a time of intensified mourning. Starting on the first of Av, we refrain from eating meat or drinking wine, and from wearing freshly laundered clothes.
Learn more about the Nine Days
The 9th of Av
Nine Av is a more stringent fast than 17 Tammuz. It begins at sunset of the previous evening, when we gather in the synagogue to read the Book of Lamentations. Besides fasting, we abstain from additional pleasures: washing, applying lotions or creams, wearing leather shoes, and marital relations. Until midday, we sit on the floor or on low stools.
Learn more about the 9th of Av
The Inner Message
There is more to the Three Weeks than fasting and lamentation. Our sages tell us that those who mourn the destruction of Jerusalem will merit seeing it rebuilt with the coming of Moshiach. May that day come soon, and then all the mournful dates on the calendar will be transformed into days of tremendous joy and happiness.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Prag mag god.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
rosends would reply if someone can just turn his computer on for him.  
Why ?  
Ritual.  
Good old sensible and totaly practical ritual does not allow this. 

On the other hand. 
The whole fasting and not using electricity and shit.   
I can only see it doing something good. 
There is NO negative to the very limited fasting
And not being able to use electricity for the very limited time has NO negative.  ( i don't think. )  i haven't put to much thought into the ill effects of not being able to use electronics for a half a day or however long they do it. 

Picture a jewish person  flicking a light switch on when they shouldn't be.
I can picture them using like a towel to flick the switch.  Or a solid rubber  stick. 

I bet there is a lot of " half arsed " ritual doers. 

Oh and bacon. 
The whole not partaking in the eating of the piggies and seafood and all the other non kosher stuff..
I haven't had time to do the studies yet . 
But one can only assume.
 Not eating bacon is extremely harmful  for you and may cause instant death . 

Shila
Shila
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Prag mag god.
Now you know why God brought along the Holy Spirit to help him with the threesome or Trinity. God needed a sperm donor. 
We are told the Holy Spirit came on Mary and God overpowered Mary by holding her down.

Luke 1:34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
I highly doubt it would be a " sign of respect " participating in this, The three week spectacular  if you've  a foreskin. 

There are many many ways one can pay homage to  god.   But allllllllll of this comes to nil , if as above. ( You've a foreskin )  
So ummm yeah.  ' kicks dirt ' 
BE AWARE OF THIS FACT before you put yourself out in any way shape or form for god. 
Foreskin    =    NO heaven. 

I mean.   
You don't go to heaven  if you have a foreskin. 
How can you enter heaven if ya dont 
 '  cue drums ' 

Stand still laddy! 

Shila
Shila
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
I highly doubt it would be a " sign of respect " participating in this, The three week spectacular  if you've  a foreskin.

There are many many ways one can pay homage to  god.   But allllllllll of this comes to nil , if as above. ( You've a foreskin ) 
So ummm yeah.  ' kicks dirt ' 
BE AWARE OF THIS FACT before you put yourself out in any way shape or form for god.
Foreskin    =    NO heaven.

I mean.   
You don't go to heaven  if you have a foreskin.
How can you enter heaven if ya dont
'  cue drums '

Stand still laddy!

The three-week period in summer that begins with the fast of the 17th of Tammuz and climaxes with Tisha B’Av is known simply as “The Three Weeks.” It is a time of grieving for the destruction of both the First and Second Temples in Jerusalem. This mourning period was first mentioned in the biblical Book of Zechariah in the Prophets — and, since then, it has been observed as a period of sadness.

Now if you are a Jews foreskin. You would have have good reasons to be celebrating. Being separated from any Jews penis after circumcision you are no longer dragged into all those unholy places Jews like to stick their penis and not washing after. Which was the original reason circumcision was demanded of temple worshippers to keep the stench out then demanded of the rest of the Jewish population after Abraham turned the need into a covenant.
rosends
rosends
-->
@zedvictor4
For sure.

And safety in the pack.

But whether or not a pragmatic God would finds  rituals dedicated to it necessary, is unlikely.

You decide what is unlikely, and decide differently from what I decide. Ritual is more than just routine and group-identity. It is connection (in fact, if it becomes routine, that's a bad thing).

On my sabbath I will be donning my lycra and cycling 50 miles with my pack of MAMIL'S.
Be safe with that and I hope you find safety with your pack.
Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
For sure.

And safety in the pack.

But of course.

Whether or not there is a GOD, pragmatic or otherwise, is still to be confirmed.

And then which one.

Or which ones Poly.

Question: What are the guidelines regarding bathing and showering on Shabbos? It is also forbidden to wash, even a small part of the body such as one's hands or face, with hot32 water that was heated up on Shabbos in violation of bishul33.

Most Jewish ritual are designed to keep Jews unwashed.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@rosends
(In fact, if it becomes routine, that's a bad thing).
So why not give the three weeks a miss this year for a refreshing change.....Might turn out to be a good thing.

Though upon reflection, I would suggest that a routine lifestyle is perfectly normal, whereas habitual behaviour without consideration for consequences could obviously have a negative impact in the long term.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion and you stay safe too.
Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
So why not give the three weeks a miss this year for a refreshing change.....Might turn out to be a good thing.

Though upon reflection, I would suggest that a routine lifestyle is perfectly normal, whereas habitual behaviour without consideration for consequences could obviously have a negative impact in the long term.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion and you stay safe too.

Ritualism is the common practice of going through the motions of daily life even though one does not accept the goals or values that align with those practices.

Jesus is a perfect example of a Jew that embraced Judaism and all its symbolic rituals like circumcision and Sabbath yet criticized the Jews as prophet killers.

Jesus frequently visited the Synagogue (Mark 3; Luke 13) so He obviously kept the Sabbath and He also attended the Jewish festivals or high days including the Passover (John 2:13, 6:4, 11:55) even from His youth (Luke 2:41-43). Jesus not only regularly attended Synagogue on the Sabbath but He taught there too as Matthew writes “when he entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came up to him as he was teaching” (Matt 21:23. )

Jesus followed the law and so did His parents for after His birth it was “at the end of eight days, when he was circumcised” (Luke 2:21a) and being the first born He was consecrated “And when the time came for their purification according to the Law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord  (as it is written in the Law of the Lord, “Every male who first opens the womb shall be called holy to the Lord”) and to offer a sacrifice according to what is said in the Law of the Lord, “a pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons” (Luke 2:22-24).  Not only this but Jesus kept the Holy Days, as we have already read as He kept the Passover but also the Feast of Tabernacles or Feast of Booths (John 7:2) and “About the middle of the feast Jesus went up into the temple and began teaching” (John 7:14). He had been observing the Holy Days since He was a child, regularly attending with His parents (Luke 2:41-42) and observed all the Law of Moses.

Jesus even expanded on the laws.

Contrary to what most might think Jesus said “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven” (Matt 5:17-19). 

But what didJesus call the Jews despite follow Jewish rituals?
Matt 23:31 and Luke 11:47 Jesus accuses his Jewish opponents of killing prophets. The gospel texts provide no basis for this charge, other than the conflict that Jesus seems to be facing at the moment. Even the one prophetic figure whose death has affected Jesus, John the Baptist, was not killed in Jerusalem, but was executed, according to the gospel accounts, by Herod Antipas who ruled Galilee and Perea. On the contrary, the accusation of killing prophets and the success of the Israelite prophetic materials in getting proclaimed, recorded, transmitted, and canonized stand in tension with each other. Where does this idea come from and what makes it a viable assumption in the kinds of accusations made by Jesus in these texts?