Total: 275
TWS1405
Debates: 0
TWS1405
-->
@Greyparrot
@IwantRooseveltagain

@IwantRooseveltagain
 it’s the financial status of the people using the drug.
Categorically false. Poor Black immigrants show less crack cocaine usage than poor white Americans. It's not an issue of poverty. It's an issue of culture.
THANK YOU!!!!
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@TWS1405
Crack is an impure form of cocaine that is made into a crystal and is often smoked or cooked down and injected. Crack cocaine is no more dangerous than powdered cocaine; it just presents different dangers because it is smoked or injected. Smoking or injecting cocaine produces a very quick and more intense high because it is quickly absorbed into the blood.

In the mid-1980s, there was an incorrect belief that crack was more dangerous and caused more violent behavior. Studies later found that the difference was more likely due to demographics and co-occurring disorders rather than crack itself.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TWS1405
Even among White Americans, drug addiction is a regional cultural issue, regardless of the level of poverty. Some parts of the country have substantially high rates of meth addiction (midwest), others have high rates of prescription opioids (coastal states), and fentanyl use is clustered as well.

Reducing abuse and addictions of specific drugs like crack cocaine to skin color isn't backed by any serious science. All of those drugs have a heavy regional cultural influence.
TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Greyparrot
NCBI study linked is outdated.

"In fact, crack cocaine is actually more powerful than powder cocaine, causes physical dependence to set in more quickly and is far more dangerous than the powder counterpart." 

It has been firmly established that crack is worse than powder cocaine.

Just like hard liquor is more dangerous than beer. A few shots can get an average person shit faced, while it takes 6 or more beers to reach the same level. It is all about the content of the drug at play. And the fact is, crack in its used form is more dangerous than snorting the powder version. 

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Greyparrot
Poor Black immigrants show less crack cocaine usage than poor white Americans. It's not an issue of poverty. It's an issue of culture.
You are misunderstanding. I’m not saying being poor or black causes people to use crack.

I’m saying a poor person who is addicted will need to steal to support their addiction, while a person of means has money to pay for their addiction so they don’t have to steal.

I hope you are not suggesting that black culture lends itself to drug use more than white culture. Because it’s not about culture or family values or anything other than being poor that causes addicted Americans to steal and commit violence to feed their addiction.

Poor addicted people steal - regardless of skin color.
Rich addicted people don’t steal, at least until the lose their jobs.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TWS1405
Just like hard liquor is more dangerous than beer.
That's not what you proposed though. Hard liquor doesn't make a person more violent than beer.
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Actually it is more like what he said actually is racist against whites in a way and that is because of common knowledge.

Blacks do the crack cocaine stuff at most, sticking to weed generally.

Whites who are poor get into all sorts of shit, and even the middle class will get into acid and we know that meth and heroin are basically an entirely poor white clientele.

This term 'racist' is a buzzword in conversations like this, nothing wrong with analysing differences. It's only wrong is it becomes about some 'true superiority' angle.
TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Greyparrot
Just like hard liquor is more dangerous than beer.
That's not what you proposed though. Hard liquor doesn't make a person more violent than beer.
Yes, but the analogy applies.

Does HARD liquor not get one more drunk/inebriated faster than beer? Potency was the point/issue I was addressing with this example. Potency. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TWS1405
Potency was the point/issue I was addressing with this example. Potency. 

The law wasn't drafted on the basis of "potency" but on junk science linking crack cocaine to violent crime. It would be just as ridiculous to incarcerate two people with the same BAC at different incarceration levels based on what they drank.
TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Greyparrot
Did you not review the links I provided? (obviously NOT!)

It's not bunk.

Crack results in more violence than powder does. 
Vici
Debates: 11
Vici
It's a myth

Vici
Debates: 11
Vici
Name me one law which only applies to a black person
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Vici

This page describes how the recent spending bills will allocate funds based on census data of self-reported race.

Anyone with a brain will report as black if they want to see any of that money.
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
This depends on the definition of white privilege. For the purposes of my response, I will be using the following definition from Merriam Websters Dictionary:

"the set of social and economic advantages that white people have by virtue of their race (see RACE entry 1 sense 1a) in a culture characterized by racial inequality." [1]

The crux of this definition relies on privileges being tied SOLELY to a racial advantage. E.G. getting or having special treatment due to skin color. 

The fact of the matter is, such treatment exists. But it is not systemic.

There is a portion of the American population that favors white people over other races. This is just a fact. Does everyone do this? No. Is it in our major institutions? No. But there are still members of the population who afford white people better treatment. I'll explain:

There is minority privilege at college universities

According to the ACT's 2020 college readiness test, just 26% of all students who took the test passed the test. [2]

Of the 26% who passed the test, the ethnicity makeup verus all test takers was, as reported by Just Facts:
  • Asian – 52%
  • White – 33%
  • Hispanic – 14%
  • Pacific Islander – 12%
  • American Indian – 7%
  • Black – 6% [3]
In 2020, these were the admission rates of new high school students at Colleges nationwide, as reported by Just Facts:
  • 90% for Asians.
  • 68% for whites.
  • 63% for Hispanics.
  • 50% for blacks. [4]
So even though just 6% of black people passed the college readiness test, 50% enter college. This is a significantly higher margin than for any other race in the United States. The second greatest margin is for Hispanic students, then for white students. Asian American students have the lowest margin between college unreadiness and college admission in the United States according to the data.

In 2004, all 27,000 of Stanford's onboarded law students were followed from freshman year to their first job after graduating law school. This was the result of the study, as reported by Just Facts:
  • the combined median LSAT [Law School Admissions Test] score and undergraduate GPA for black students was roughly equal to the bottom 6th percentile of white students.
  • 8% of white law students and 19% of black law students did not graduate after five years.
  • among black students who graduated, 43% of them were in the bottom 10% of their class after their third year of law school.
  • 78% of white students and 45% of black students who began law school in 1991 graduated, took the bar exam, and passed on their first attempt.
  • black students were “nearly six times as likely as whites to not pass state bar exams after multiple attempts.”
  • black lawyers earned “6% to 9% more early in their careers” than white lawyers with similar credentials who sought similar jobs. [5]
This Stanford study shows that the college degree system lowers the standard to accept black students. However, it also shows systemic economic racism against white students who passed the bar and went on to get a job.

Does this mean that black people are, by nature, unable to achieve education success? No. Since 45% of the enrolled black students graduated and passed the bar on their first attempt. 

Instead, what the data shows is that colleges bend over backward to accommodate minority students, even if it means accepting people who are not college ready.

There is minority privilege in U.S. Government employment

In 2018, black people comprised of 13% of the general population. However, they comprised of 19% of the Federal workforce and 11% of the senior executive positions. This results in an overrepresentation in government employment. [6]

Hispanic people were underrepresented in the government workforce by 50% versus the total workforce. [7] However, according to a 2006 Government Accountability Office study as to why there is an underrepresentation of hispanic people in the Federal workforce, they concluded that the reason hispanics were underrepresented is because, of all hispanics in the workforce, roughly 33% were not US Citizens, which is a necessary prerequisite for a Federal government position. Additionally, when norming for this fact and others, hispanic citizens were 24% more likely to be employed by the Federal government compared to private companies. [8]

So, this concludes that white people are less likely to receive special treatment by the Federal Government when applying to jobs as opposed to other ethnic groups

Government jobs, on average pay 17% more money than equivalent private sector jobs, according to a 2016 report by the Congressional Budget Office. [9] Which means that minorities have a viable means of achieving significantly more money with fewer barriers to entry than their white counterparts. 

Black people have greater access to social and legal justice than any other race in America

The NAACP was founded to be a black advocacy organization in 1909. Since then, the NAACP has become the largest advocacy organization in the United States. [10] So black people in America have the largest advocacy organization in the country focusing on defending their legal rights.

Additionally, Black Lives Matter, which rose to meteoric fame during the Trump Administration, received hundreds of millions of dollars in funding by all of America's largest corporations to advocate for black supremacism in America. [11]

The Real White Privilege In The United States: Inherited Positions Of Economic Standing From Parents

However, does this mean there are no special privileges to being white? Of course not.

The net worth of white people is higher than all other ethnicities in America. [12] This comes from years of white people in power rigging the system to favor themselves and other whites. However, much of this rigging has been removed thanks to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Constitutional Amendments specifically banning racist laws by U.S. States, and other milestones in American history, in addition to the above current structures in place that benefit minorities above whites. But that doesn't mean White People did not receive any current financial advantages from the previous 150+ years of privilege.

Additionally, in the private sector, white people are overrepresented in employment, suggesting that it may be easier for a white person to get a private sector job, [16] which pays less, compared to a government job, which pays more.

However, another reason white people have a higher net worth is due to significant differences in financial literacy. Though most Americans are financially illiterate, 52.7%, to be specific, [13] black people are more likely to be financially illiterate than white people, [14] and black people are also more likely to spend money on consumer products than white people. [15] So the two biggest prolonged issues affecting black net worth have solutions that can be easily applied with self education on financial literacy and spending less on consumer goods to build net worth.

It is also worth noting that white people are the second highest wage earners besides Asians in almost all income categories except not receiving a high school diploma, where white people make 5-6k more than other ethnic groups. [17]

Sources:
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
Btw, I think that, based in the stats for the public sector and the fact white people make 5-6k more than black people for having no college degree, there could be a case made for racism and white privilege in the PRIVATE sector of employment. But it has not been exhaustively examined, as in, people have not compared hours worked, number of current jobs worked per person, employment loyalty, work habits, length in a company, desire and trying to achieve promotions, or other things. So we cannot just conclude it is racism outright without more data. It could be a host of different things, or it could be racism.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Public-Choice
The only color that matters in the private sector is green.
TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Greyparrot
The only color that matters in the private sector is green.

BINGO!!!!
TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Public-Choice
This depends on the definition of white privilege. For the purposes of my response, I will be using the following definition from Merriam Websters Dictionary:

"the set of social and economic advantages that white people have by virtue of their race (see RACE entry 1 sense 1a) in a culture characterized by racial inequality." [1]

The crux of this definition relies on privileges being tied SOLELY to a racial advantage. E.G. getting or having special treatment due to skin color. 

The fact of the matter is, such treatment exists. But it is not systemic.

First, excellent posting you made here. Much appreciated. I will start with the above...

Everyone, including the definition, refers to advantages without really defining said advantages.

By virtue of skin color, one gets special treatment...what special treatment is there for being white? 

I worked for everything I have. I retired early because I made smart decisions. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING was handed to me through some measure of special "advantages" or "special treatment" because of the color of my skin. 

To be honest, it was a black man who helped my career in the military who saw my potential. While one of his subordinates, another black man, tried to hurt my career because he was racist against whites. 

Another black man I served with on the drug team under C.I.D. came to my office one day and said to me, "What's up my N***r"  It shocked me, and I asked, "What did you call me?" He repeated himself and said we were friends, and it was okay that I referred to him as the same. I told him I would not and explained why. He appreciated it. 

That being said, I saw far more "advantages" and "special treatment" for people of color in the Army than any given towards whites. 

Even in normal society people of color get far more advantages and special treatment than whites, as you duly noted. 
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@TWS1405
That being said, I saw far more "advantages" and "special treatment" for people of color in the Army than any given towards whites. 
Hmmm, what percentage of the officers in the Army were black?

22 days later

TWS1405
TWS1405

@TWS1405
Hmmm, what percentage of the officers in the Army were black?
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China!?!

Avery
Avery
-->
@Intelligence_06
Well... Rosa Parks was dismissed for standing for herself by sitting down a front seat meant for White people, so obviously it did exist.
Segregation was designed to keep Blacks and Whites from invading each other's spaces. Park's behavior was pushy and domineering, in that she implicitly demanded that she be let into White spaces.

You can't walk into Mecca as a non-Muslim. You can't walk onto the Temple on the Mount as a non-believer. You can't walk into a different group's space and expect them to bend the knee.

People have racial/group spaces all throughout the world, but Progressives seem to only have a problem with it when it's Whites wanting their own spaces.

After passing the "separate but equal" act in the 19th century, the water fountain drank by Black people were in stripped condition compared to the ones drank by White people.
Do you have a source for this?

Even if it's true, maybe it's a result of Blacks failing to maintain their space.

Minorities were not allowed to run in some occupations back then, or are probably strongly voted against. White privilege is not a myth. It is a part of American history at least.
Imagine walking into China, Saudi Arabia, Israel etc. and just demanding that your kind of people get the exact same rights and spaces as the natives. 

Chinese privilege? Muslim privilege? Jewish privilege? Never heard of them.

It's only wrong when White people do it, apparently.
Avery
Avery
-->
@Barney
As a white person, many crimes I may commit will net much lower prison sentences than if I were black.
Did your study control for relevant variables such as: how the defendant presents him/herself in the courtroom, the likelihood that he/she will reoffend, verbal IQ and self-reported crime history? 

When these relevant factors are controlled for, nationwide analysis shows that there is no racial bias in criminal justice sentencing No evidence of racial discrimination in criminal justice processing: Results from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health - ScienceDirect 
bronskibeat
Debates: 3
bronskibeat
-->
@TWS1405
I mean, whether or not you believe in "white privilege" is going to be contingent upon whether or not you believe that black people face systemic racism in society. It's apparent you don't. But it does appear that many of your sources misunderstand the concept of "white privilege." 

There is a rational way to approach this: The first thing to remember is that there are different kinds of privilege that exists within society. A poor white person growing up in a trailer park will have white privilege because race does not play a role in the obstacles they face (like it would for a poor black person). Alternatively, a black person can grow up wealthy and get a great education, they will still encounter racism so they will not have "black privilege," but they will have economic/class privilege (something that poor white person doesn't have). It's nuanced. 

Here is some data and studies for you to read over (i'm just going to copy it from an old debate):

Education:

Employment:

• Black employment in the testing sector is suppressed in the absence of testing, a finding which is consistent with ex ante discrimination on the basis of drug use perceptions. https://www.nber.org/papers/w20095#fromrss

Housing:

• Black home buyers are 105 and 78 percent more likely to have high cost mortgages for home purchases even after controlling for credit score and other key risk factors: https://ww.nber.org/papers/w22004

Heathcare:

• A substantial number of white laypeople and medical students and residents hold false beliefs about biological differences between blacks and whites and demonstrates that these beliefs predict racial bias in pain perception and treatment recommendation accuracy: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4843483/

Legal System/Law Enforcement:

• White defendants are twenty-five percent more likely than black defendants to have their principal initial charge dropped or reduced to a lesser crime. White defendants with no prior convictions receive charge reductions more often than black defendants with no prior convictions: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3036726

Here's an interesting one: Using a police training video game, the effect of ethnicity on shoot/don't shoot decisions was examined. African American or White targets, holding guns or other objects, appeared in complex backgrounds. Participants were told to "shoot" armed targets and to "not shoot" unarmed targets. In Study 1, White participants made the correct decision to shoot an armed target more quickly if the target was African American than if he was White, but decided to "not shoot" an unarmed target more quickly if he was White. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12500813/
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@TWS1405
There is a substantial list of disparities between whites and blacks. Educational attainment, unemployment, health, poverty, you name it - the list is as long as my arm.

There are two explanations for these disparities:

1.) Whites and Blacks are subject to different social conditions and constraints that lead to one being advantages over the other.

2.) Whites and blacks are subject to identical social conditions and constraints - but black people do worse because they’re not as good as whites.

(1) is white privilege. (2) is white supremacy.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Avery
Chinese privilege? Muslim privilege? Jewish privilege? Never heard of them.
strangely, people from north africa and the middle-east are categorized as "white-non-hispanic" by the united states census (this includes israelis)
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Ramshutu
There is a substantial list of disparities between whites and blacks. Educational attainment, unemployment, health, poverty, you name it - the list is as long as my arm.

1.) Whites and Blacks are subject to different social conditions and constraints that lead to one being advantages over the other.

2.) Whites and blacks are subject to identical social conditions and constraints - but black people do worse because they’re not as good as whites.

what are your proposed solutions ?
TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@bronskibeat
I'm going to address this one first and foremost because your citation is outdated:

Here's an interesting one: Using a police training video game, the effect of ethnicity on shoot/don't shoot decisions was examined. African American or White targets, holding guns or other objects, appeared in complex backgrounds. Participants were told to "shoot" armed targets and to "not shoot" unarmed targets. In Study 1, White participants made the correct decision to shoot an armed target more quickly if the target was African American than if he was White, but decided to "not shoot" an unarmed target more quickly if he was White. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12500813/
"It’s the third time two WSU researchers in criminal justice and criminology, Bryan Vila, professor, and Lois James, research assistant professor, and their colleague Stephen M. James have set up simulations to monitor the differing reactions of police when confronted by white or black suspects. And all three times, they found that officers took significantly more time to fire their weapons if the subject was black, according to their latest report, “The Reverse Racism Effect,” to be published in the journal Criminology & Public Policy." ~ This study found race matters in police shootings, but the results may surprise you | CAS in the Media | Washington State University (wsu.edu)

"New Washington State University study: Even tired cops are more hesitant to shoot black suspects
A new study concludes that officers tend not to be biased against black suspects in resorting to deadly force, even when fatigued and thus potentially more vulnerable to making angry, irrational, and impulsive decisions." ~ 

"...David Johnson, a postdoctoral researcher in the Lab for Applied Social Science Research at the University of Maryland, along with colleagues at Michigan State University - spent over 1,500 hours creating the first comprehensive national database of fatal officer-involved shootings (FOIS) in the US in 2015. It includes 917 fatal shootings by on-duty police officers in 2015 from over 650 different police departments. The analysis, which is based on this database, shows that white police officers are not more likely to shoot minorities citizens than non-white officers. The researchers state that their findings show no support for the idea that white officers are biased in shooting black citizens." ~ White police officers are not more likely to shoot minority citizens, says new study debunking popular view | MEAWW

TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Ramshutu
->@TWS1405

Everyone from Booker T. Washington, Frederick Douglas and Madam C.J. Walker to Ben Carson, Colin Powell and Morgan Freeman disproves (1).

Everyone born in America has equal rights, equal access to anything and everything they want to achieve. There is no right or guarantee to equal outcomes. One only gets out of life what they put into it. Just because you are not as good as another =/= supremacy of any kind. 
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@TWS1405
Everyone born in America has equal rights, equal access to anything and everything they want to achieve. There is no right or guarantee to equal outcomes. One only gets out of life what they put into it. Just because you are not as good as another =/= supremacy of any kind. 
So what you’re saying is (2) that the difference in outcomes between whites and blacks is because blacks “are not as good as” whites.

Racist: a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that one's own racial group is superior or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.
If your belief is true - you meet the dictionary definition of a racist.

White Supremacy: the belief, theory, or doctrine that white people are inherently superior to people from all other racial and ethnic groups, especially Black people, and are therefore rightfully the dominant group in any society
… and pretty much the dictionary definition of a white supremacy.

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@3RU7AL
what are your proposed solutions ?
Dunno - agreeing that there is a problem is a good first step; and perhaps not make the problem worse.