There needs to be an app for mobile users

Author: Public-Choice

Total: 14
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
As the title says.

First off, this website is the true successor to Debate(.)Org. I don't know how many of you remember that fantastic website, but it was a debator's paradise. It recently closed down due to reasons I don't know. But the website devolved into internet trollery around 2016 or so after many years of hosting rational debate. So when I found this website I was glad someone picked up the proverbial torch.

That being said. . .

The website is really buggy on mobile phones and lacking some features available to desktop users. Also, depending on the browser, you can be halfway through posting an argument, open a new tab to obtain your source, and come back and the page reloads, forcing you to start over. I write my arguments in the text box to prevent formatting issues that some run into when copy-pasting from word processors.

It is also frustrating to log in on a mobile device and have to press the menu button because the homepage is the landing page for enticing the general public to join. And a portion of the links from the menu button are not optimized for mobile.

These usability issues would be solved with a standalone app.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
Or you could use a computer.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@K_Michael
My mobile phone is a computer.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Public-Choice
Try a desktop.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@Intelligence_06
I spend most of my life away from my desktop.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
Half of phone apps are just specialized website viewers, I would say it would thus be simpler to just get the site mobile responsive but having done that a few time I know that the CSS and HTML needs to be designed with that in mind from the start.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Right.

Hence the idea for a standalone app instead of a website viewer.

Maybe if they tried to fundraise for it we would all donate a little bit.
Ehyeh
Debates: 31
Ehyeh
-->
@K_Michael
@Intelligence_06
There is no excuse for why the website should be buggy on phone. Telling people to just "use a computer" is not a good  business model. People should be able to use their phones effectively on this site like you can on most others.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I do all my posting for this site on my phone and I don't have a single problem with it I'm not downloading an app. 
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@Public-Choice
I typically use a phone and don't have those issues. I use an android through Chrome. Maybe it is an iPhone or browser issue?
Best.Korea
Debates: 265
Best.Korea
I use a 180$ phone that I bought 3 years ago. I dont have any problems. So if I dont have problems with my old cheapest in class phone, I am confused that a more expensive phone would have problems.
I copy my opponents argument into notes, after which I write a response in notes, then copy that response to Debate art. That way seems to work the best.
About login...I dont have any problems. I login with my google account. Its literally just 2 clicks. 1) menu button 2) click on "log in with google". Done. And most of the times I dont even log out, so I dont even need to log in.

13 days later

Lair77
Debates: 4
Lair77
This would be freelo.  New mobile users would create debate challenges, but then do it low-effort and write short arguments with poor grammar/formatting.
RationalMadman
Debates: 563
RationalMadman
-->
@Lair77
They already can, I have actually submitted some (minority) of my Rounds from Phone, it's much harder with sourcing as when you tab back in, like public-choice describes, it's really badly coded and often refreshes your argument tab blank.
RationalMadman
Debates: 563
RationalMadman
-->
@Public-Choice
Upvoted as upon further thought, I do agree with this.