There’s No Objective Evidence the Federal “Assault Weapons” Ban Saved Lives - Just Facts Daily

Author: Public-Choice

Total: 85
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Public-Choice
He assumes that "a job" means that work is bad, which is stupid. Humans are literally built for work. We do work all the time. We just don't necessarily do work that gives us money all the time.
that quote is from noam chomsky (famous anarchist)

and it's clearly referring to "having a job" as in, "working for someone else" in contrast to "working for yourself", you know, like when most people were farmers
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Public-Choice
He also argues that the far-left and far-right are not brainwashed.
i don't think that's exactly the case

it seems more like "the far-left" and "the-far-right" are not brainwashed by the hybrid-corporate-government-mobsters

the main point seems to be that everyone is a member of a cult(ure) whether they realize it or not
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@3RU7AL
Idk if I agree. Just because someone believes something, that does not mean they are part of a cult. But I WOULD argue that most people are probably a member of a cult.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Public-Choice
Idk if I agree. Just because someone believes something, that does not mean they are part of a cult. But I WOULD argue that most people are probably a member of a cult.
exactly
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@Public-Choice
My first question would be, why does owning a gun inherently mean a person will use it improperly?

Youve immediately gone off track.  I never said anything about a owning a gun makes people use it improperly.

I said it makes it easier to kill more people at and ever faster rates of killing as technology and weapons power is increased.

Also I   never state anything about taking away all guns from people.  So again your making leaps to stuff stated nor implied.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Public-Choice
People cluster.

It's a survival strategy.

Ideology provides an excuse to cluster.

Cult, tribe, crowd, gang, group, club, fellowship, brotherhood, sisterhood, non-binaryhood etc etc etc.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@3RU7AL
I guess so, if that's what you believe.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ebuc
Have you heard of ninjas?

They used to kill hundreds in a single night using a sword and homemade bombs.

The amount of chemicals sitting in a cabinet can be combined to make worse weapons than a gun could ever be. 

And knife massacres are a real thing in the U.K. 

The average mass shooting, according to the CRS study linked above, kills 4 people. There are many knife massacres that have killed more people than that. Wikipedia lists 2 of them, some of the worst in history, on their article on mass stabbings, [1] 

I wanted to find a comprehensive list, but nobody actually has a comprehensive list of knife stabbings even though they happen very frequently, but there are many that were more than 4 deaths, the average for a mass shooting.

In fact, in the last few weeks alone in the U.S. there have been 5 or 6 mass stabbings. [2]

Furthermore, in many countries where guns wre banned, knives become a weapon of choice for homicides. [3]

So should knives me banned too because they make it "easy to kill people"? Or maybe the absence of people arming themselves might have something to do with it. 

SOURCES:
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Public-Choice
So should knives me banned too because they make it "easy to kill people"?

Get real dude and try to have a little intellectual integrity.

Comparing a knife to any type of gun is kind of silliness on your part at best, at worst it is your ego in fear of an ego death, even when our ego's cannot die.

They {ego} can only be placed to the side to let in truth.

The only way the ego ever truly dies is if the brain dies.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ebuc
Knives are just as dangerous as guns. That is my point. 
FLRW
FLRW

Does anyone know if you can buy any of the  84 Missing Russian Nuke Suitcase Bombs on the Dark Web?
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@FLRW
No idea. And I don't want to find out lol
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Public-Choice
Knives are just as dangerous as guns. That is my point.

Your living in imaginary child's fantasy land. It is like the old Indinana movie and countless other with similar non-sense.

So Indiana fights off two three bad guys with his whip and this next person pull his big ole knife/sword and charges at Indiana, but by this time Indiana is tired of the same ole BS, so he pulls out pistol and shoots the dude.

Why is when even the in these movies of modern day event,  nobody owns a gun and it is always the the one man { with no gun } going through 30 other men { with no guns }?  I know it is for the action entertainments, especially in the Asian action films.

PLease share when you want to think like a  mature adult and leave you child-like fantasies behind you. Please use some logical common sense and do us all a favor.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ebuc
Your living in imaginary child's fantasy land.
I'll overlook your childish grammar mistake and simply reply with:

There are those who can discuss facts and data and analyze things with their brains, and others who are too childish to think without schoolyard insults.

I've chosen to be an adult. What will you choose?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Public-Choice
What will you choose?
Whats in my posts.  You still dont get it. Your ego blocks your access to truth.

Your chilish fantasties that knives are more dangerous than guns is evidence of lack of  intellectual integrity and other. :--(

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Public-Choice
do you consider yourself "uncultured" ?
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ebuc
I said they are "just as dangerous" not more dangerous. 

And it is not a childish fantasy. It is fact. 
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@3RU7AL
Not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Public-Choice
I said they are "just as dangerous" not more dangerous.

You still playing mental masturbation with your self on this fantasy of knifes being as dangerous as guns.

There are no knives in either of these educationa videos

This first vid is mild compared to the 2nd vid

The 2nd vid is M.A.D/NUTS

Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ebuc
Look it appears there is more to this topic for you than mere public policy and what is best for citizens. 

I am willing to hear your experiences with guns if you'd like to talk about them. No trolling. No kritik bullshit. I'll just discuss and stuff. 

But bringing up two YouTube videos as evidence that all guns are more dangerous than all knives and having a gun is inherently more dangerous than having a knife is a grave misstep in logic.

The whole/parts fallacy, circular reasoning, and ad hominem are what I am seeing here. 

A sniper rifle, for instance, could be a very deadly weapon that can be used to kill many, but, to properly use one, a person would have to go through years of training and practice.

A knife is silent, easy to use, and very effective for mass murders because people won't know what happened until at least 3 or 4 people are stabbed. With very little practice, a stabber can kill 5 or 10 people with a single knife before anyone notices, unlike with guns.

And this is just for a concealed pocket knife. Imagine if someone had one of those ninjutsu swords. . .
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Public-Choice
I am willing to hear your experiences with guns if you'd like to talk about them

IVe owned one gun. Single shot .22 home made stock{ with crack in it }, with springfield IL stamp on barrel. I was a good shot. My brother passed it on to me. Shot a bird with it once, and felt bad that I did  that, afterwords.

Killed a frog with it and agin felt bad, so at this time, 1970 or so, I took gun and threw it out in the far in of hog pen. Many years later my friends told me that found the barrel. So I shot shotguns with other friends as teenager, and shot 457 mag. with some other friends. One of those finally stuck his pistol in his mouth and shot himself some years after I have left town.

Las time a shot couple of guns was some 40 years later I was at a Turkey shoot, where I borrowed guns from others, and I got first prise in shootoff with couple of others.  The sheriff had the exact 22 rifle I had as the rifle my brother gave me..

So ive owned several knifes and once skinned a cow and pegged out the skin to try and make leather.  Didnt work out for me. I had much better luck with carving art pieces out of wood poplar and cedar.

Never killed any animals with a knife. I remmber my mother, killing chickens in backyard by wringing/breaking their necks, and then chicken would run around yard in circle before collasping. Have killed couple of rats by stomping on them with shoe/boot.  Killed mice with traps. I did see a muskrat once, lumbering along side of paved road not too far from the rive. Never ever saw another one, and dont care if I ever do. The are like a huge hariy rat from out of sci-fi movie. Haha

Another best friend from childhood was killed by his wife with a gun. I dont know circusmtances, as he wand I had split ways some years.  Last time I saw him he was still single man and dressed in his high collar white and all sparkly Elvis costume.  When we first met in 7th grade, he used always say I looked like Elvis. So I heard from his younger brother, about the incident, but never got any details of the circumstances. Only wife shot him dead.

He was devout Christian type like his parents were. 

Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ebuc
I'm sorry to hear about your family member and your friend's wife.

Suicide is no joke. Neither is shooting someone you're married to.

Do you think these experiences have shaped your gun beliefs?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Public-Choice
All of experiences shape our lives to some degree.  I have a few people in ive known who committed suicide.  Only the one from Junior high and early 20's used his 457 magnum.

Another, like I say, was his wife who used gun.  Were had differrent lives by the time that happen, so not close.

Another close friend from childhood till 24 had both his hands smashed in press at factory he worked in. His wife came home one night found him dead on floor. I think he overdosed.  His older brother and also chilhood till 24 has not been heard from by is oldest sister. She spoke to my sister last year and said she thinks he is dead, cause been so long since see has contact with him.

Another friend that I was mostly work buddy with and we kinda of friends --I was in my 30's--  hung himself in a tree.

Another I new  I new as child --I was 24-- killed herself some 30 years later and I never got the details of how she killed herself.

Two or three others, but they were all more removed from me and just working buddies for short periods of time, and dong know any details.

Ive heard countless stories of accidental shootings on tv and just stories over the years.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Public-Choice
Not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?
are you a member of a culture ?
Shila
Shila
-->
@ebuc
--> @Public-Choice
I am willing to hear your experiences with guns if you'd like to talk about them

IVe owned one gun. Single shot .22 home made stock{ with crack in it }, with springfield IL stamp on barrel. I was a good shot. My brother passed it on to me. Shot a bird with it once, and felt bad that I did  that, afterwords.

Killed a frog with it and agin felt bad, so at this time, 1970 or so, I took gun and threw it out in the far in of hog pen. Many years later my friends told me that found the barrel. So I shot shotguns with other friends as teenager, and shot 457 mag. with some other friends. One of those finally stuck his pistol in his mouth and shot himself some years after I have left town.

Las time a shot couple of guns was some 40 years later I was at a Turkey shoot, where I borrowed guns from others, and I got first prise in shootoff with couple of others.  The sheriff had the exact 22 rifle I had as the rifle my brother gave me..

So ive owned several knifes and once skinned a cow and pegged out the skin to try and make leather.  Didnt work out for me. I had much better luck with carving art pieces out of wood poplar and cedar.

Never killed any animals with a knife. I remmber my mother, killing chickens in backyard by wringing/breaking their necks, and then chicken would run around yard in circle before collasping. Have killed couple of rats by stomping on them with shoe/boot.  Killed mice with traps. I did see a muskrat once, lumbering along side of paved road not too far from the rive. Never ever saw another one, and dont care if I ever do. The are like a huge hariy rat from out of sci-fi movie. Haha

Another best friend from childhood was killed by his wife with a gun. I dont know circusmtances, as he wand I had split ways some years.  Last time I saw him he was still single man and dressed in his high collar white and all sparkly Elvis costume.  When we first met in 7th grade, he used always say I looked like Elvis. So I heard from his younger brother, about the incident, but never got any details of the circumstances. Only wife shot him dead.

He was devout Christian type like his parents were.  
For every bad experience with guns there are a hundred good experiences. Suicides and domestic killing are easier to carry out with guns. Pain killers are  addictive and only hurt the person taking it.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@3RU7AL
are you a member of a culture ?
Going back to our previous conversation about this. I don't think I am an active "member" of any cult(ure).

It is impossible for humans to be infallible. So I think everyone believes things that a patently false. Does that make one a member of a "cult(ure)?"

I don't think so. At least not an active member in any way.

But I'm also going off these definitions:

Member: one of the individuals composing a group [1]

Cult: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious (see SPURIOUS sense 2) [2]

Religion: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith [3]

Active: engaged in full-time service especially in the armed forces [4]

So, I would say that I am not an active member of a "cult(ure)."

But, this also means evolution, scientism, environmentalism, republicanism, democratism, etc. are all cults.

One could argue Voluntaryism is a cult. I would respond that, ultimately, I accept the teachings of the Bible above voluntaryism and that voluntaryist thought is largely undefined. It is centered around just one idea: voluntary participation in anything and zero coercion in society.

If agreeing with that puts me in a cult, then, once again, I argue I agree with it until it disagrees with the Bible.

SOURCES:
Shila
Shila
-->
@Public-Choice
Going back to our previous conversation about this. I don't think I am an active "member" of any cult(ure). 

It is impossible for humans to be infallible. So I think everyone believes things that a patently false. Does that make one a member of a "cult(ure)?"

I don't think so. At least not an active member in any way.

But I'm also going off these definitions:

Member: one of the individuals composing a group [1]

Cult: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious (see SPURIOUS sense 2) [2]

Religion: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith [3]

Active: engaged in full-time service especially in the armed forces [4]

So, I would say that I am not an active member of a "cult(ure)."

But, this also means evolution, scientism, environmentalism, republicanism, democratism, etc. are all cults.

One could argue Voluntaryism is a cult. I would respond that, ultimately, I accept the teachings of the Bible above voluntaryism and that voluntaryist thought is largely undefined. It is centered around just one idea: voluntary participation in anything and zero coercion in society.

If agreeing with that puts me in a cult, then, once again, I argue I agree with it until it disagrees with the Bible.

SOURCES:
Your religious beliefs borders around a cult.
You also quite willingly identify with other cults. Eg. But, this also means evolution, scientism, environmentalism, republicanism, democratism, etc. are all cults.

Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@Shila
Nah fam. Look at my definitions again...

Cult is "a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious."

Christianity is a religion. Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are cults, because they are unorthodox and spurious forms of a religion.

They have firmly held beliefs that are unorthodox and spurious.

I, personally, believe the known universe points directly to God. The realms of philosophy, empiricism, rationalism, epistemic logic, all end up at God, because He created the universe.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ebuc
Ok. I can see where you are coming from. And I am sorry you knew people who killed themselves.

I can say I knew people who defended themselves successfully with weapons.

I know someone who successfully fought off attackers and saved his coworkers' lives because he brought a gun with him while they were relaxing after working all day. He fended off multiple attackers because he was armed.

There was also the viral video of the Army Vet who pulled out his gun and averted a mass shooting by firing at the attacker before the attacker could get out a single shot.

The point I'm making is that guns are used all the time for defensive purposes and save many lives. According to a survey published in 2000 in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology, people use guns to defend themselves and others 989,883 times a year. [1]

This number was roughly held up by another 1993 survey that found that people use guns for self protection of themselves and others 1,029,615 times a year. [1]

Furthermore, in 2013, the CDC determined that, in most surveys, civilians use guns to protect themselves as much as criminals use guns. [1]

So, the problem with the news is they never report on these situations or the important data like what I listed above showing that people commonly use guns for protection. [2]

SOURCES:
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Public-Choice
So, the problem with the news is they never report on these situations or the important data like what I listed above showing that people commonly use guns for protection.

Some how you seem to think I'm arguing to remove pistols and small arms from all citizens. Your mistaken. You need to find the person whom you believe your talking too, cause it aint me. Sorry.