Ask me anything!

Author: Tejretics

Total: 85
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Tejretics
What’s your preferred Indian political party?
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@ILikePie5
In the only election I've voted in (i.e., the only major election since I became an adult), I voted for the DMK. I’m broadly to the right of their policy views though (they’re more social democrats, and I’m just a liberal). 

At the national level, it’s hard to say. Probably the Indian National Congress, though I guess a case could be made for the Aam Aadmi Party. 
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
--> @Tejretics
What’s your preferred Indian political party?
Congress.
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
Have you been affected by the caste system by Indian immigrants in positions of power here in America?

And (sorry for two questions here) what is your opinion of the caste system and oppression of people according to their genetic background that is in India and is now in Silicon Valley?

I also have a similar one about if you have experiences of structural or systemic racism here in the the U.S. if you'll permit me to ask 3 questions lol.

Not being an asshat here. I just don't know that much about the caste system and its effects here in the U.S. other than from heavily biased propaganda articles from both sides. And you can't learn much of note from propaganda lol.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Public-Choice
Have you been affected by the caste system by Indian immigrants in positions of power here in America?
My family isn't from a disadvantaged caste background, so I haven’t personally been affected (I’ve probably benefited, without me realizing it). However, casteism is absolutely prevalent among Indian immigrants in the US, and I know people who’ve been affected by it. 

And (sorry for two questions here) what is your opinion of the caste system and oppression of people according to their genetic background that is in India and is now in Silicon Valley?
Casteism, especially against Dalits, is a serious problem. It reduces intergenerational economic mobility and causes even some labor market discrimination. It’s very bad, and “upper-caste” Indians pretend like it isn’t a problem. 

It’s getting better year on year in India -- economic mobility among Dalits and OBCs is increasing over time -- but there’s still a lot of work to be done. 

I also have a similar one about if you have experiences of structural or systemic racism here in the the U.S. if you'll permit me to ask 3 questions lol.
This is an AMA! You don’t have to worry about asking me many questions. 

I don’t have experiences of systemic/structural racism in the US. I’ve had the occasional person say something like “Go back to your country!” on the street (which I guess is not really racism as much as xenophobia?), but as far as I can tell, no real racism either. I feel like South Asians are relatively well-off in the US, and don’t face the degree of racism that people from other racial backgrounds have to go through. 
Shila
Shila
Tejretics: I don’t have experiences of systemic/structural racism in the US. I’ve had the occasional person say something like “Go back to your country!” on the street (which I guess is not really racism as much as xenophobia?), but as far as I can tell, no real racism either. I feel like South Asians are relatively well-off in the US, and don’t face the degree of racism that people from other racial backgrounds have to go through. 

Asians have long been touted as unusually successful. Compared to white people, we earn more money, we commit less white-collar and violent crime, we score better on tests, and we are overrepresented at elite universities. We are hardworking, have strong family financial support and we seem pretty ambitious.
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@Tejretics
Interesting stuff. Thanks for answering my questions!

If you're up to it, would you want to pm back and forth about what it is like in India? I'd love to learn about your home country and culture and such. I know that you don't speak for all Indians, obviously, but it would be cool to learn about India and how it compares to the United States.

I have been reading in this forum post and it just created more questions haha.

I am sorry you experienced people yelling at you to go back to India. 

I'm sure you've learned in college that America is NOT about that at all and some people just need to catch up to the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

One thing that saddens me about America is how so few people these days even know why we became a country and what the Declaration of Independence says about human rights. How our founding document says all people are created equal.

Yes, this country has not lived up to that for most of its existence, but I really wish we did. Because that was our ideals when we founded this country in 1776.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Public-Choice
--> @Tejretics
Interesting stuff. Thanks for answering my questions!

If you're up to it, would you want to pm back and forth about what it is like in India? I'd love to learn about your home country and culture and such. I know that you don't speak for all Indians, obviously, but it would be cool to learn about India and how it compares to the United States.

I have been reading in this forum post and it just created more questions haha.

I am sorry you experienced people yelling at you to go back to India. 

I'm sure you've learned in college that America is NOT about that at all and some people just need to catch up to the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

One thing that saddens me about America is how so few people these days even know why we became a country and what the Declaration of Independence says about human rights. How our founding document says all people are created equal.

Yes, this country has not lived up to that for most of its existence, but I really wish we did. Because that was our ideals when we founded this country in 1776.
Asians have revived the American dream.

Asians have long been touted as unusually successful. Compared to white people, we earn more money, we commit less white-collar and violent crime, we score better on tests, and we are overrepresented at elite universities. We are hardworking, have strong family financial support and we seem pretty ambitious.

Odd that Americans would yell at Asians to go back home after seeing them live out the American Dream and yet  accept Blacks who are demanding reparation for the time they spent here.

Guess we need more Americans who come from India.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Tejretics
In the only election I've voted in (i.e., the only major election since I became an adult), I voted for the DMK. I’m broadly to the right of their policy views though (they’re more social democrats, and I’m just a liberal). 
Very cool. I love Indian politics myself. It would be impossible for a guy named Stalin to win in the United States. It just fascinates me.

At the national level, it’s hard to say. Probably the Indian National Congress, though I guess a case could be made for the Aam Aadmi Party. 
That’s what I’d expect honestly if you’re from the South. They’re not really fond of Modi and BJP. AAP and INC should combine imo if they want to have a chance of defeating Modi and the BJP.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Shila
Congress
Makes sense. What part of India are you from?
thett3
thett3
-->
@ILikePie5

Very cool. I love Indian politics myself. It would be impossible for a guy named Stalin to win in the United States. It just fascinates me.

not India but imagine this guy lol 

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Public-Choice
Sure!
badger
badger
I've always kinda thought of effective altruism as euthaniastic sort of thinking. It strips the soul and humanity right out of doing good. So give to some efficient charity rather the beggar on the street. What's the point in that? The end of pain and life and humanity. I give to the beggar on the street and I share humanity with him. 

I mean, not to discourage you, but I'm curious your thinking on it. Peter Singer has always felt some sort of mad scientist to me instead of a moral philosopher or example. 
badger
badger
Have you seen Nolan's The Dark Knight? Surely, right? I think it's a powerful critique of utilitarianism and illustration of the idea I'm trying to get at. So Joker is sort of a victim of trolley problem/utilitarian thinking. All his games are around that. The two boats for example, one filled with civilians, the other criminals. In the end, he turns the good lawyer, Harvey Dent, to his madness. 

I know that's a movie, but. Effective altruism feels like eugenics' cousin. 
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@badger
I've always kinda thought of effective altruism as euthaniastic sort of thinking. It strips the soul and humanity right out of doing good. So give to some efficient charity rather the beggar on the street. What's the point in that? The end of pain and life and humanity. I give to the beggar on the street and I share humanity with him. 
I’ll admit I’m quite confused by this.

I think giving money to beggars on the street is often admirable. I also think giving cash to low-income families in Uganda, ensuring kids don’t die of malaria because they have access to mosquito nets, and giving people vitamin A supplements to prevent blindness and death are admirable.

I feel like you’re obscuring the deep, personal, emotional nature of “giving to an effective charity.” You can find meaning and share humanity with people regardless of the country that they live in, if you can make a genuine impact on their life. Here’s stories of people who received unconditional cash transfers from GiveDirectly. Just because I don’t necessarily meet them in person every day doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate their dreams, their aspirations,  their rich and meaningful lives, and the fact that they are entitled to justice. 
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@badger
Have you seen Nolan's The Dark Knight? Surely, right? I think it's a powerful critique of utilitarianism and illustration of the idea I'm trying to get at. So Joker is sort of a victim of trolley problem/utilitarian thinking. All his games are around that. The two boats for example, one filled with civilians, the other criminals. In the end, he turns the good lawyer, Harvey Dent, to his madness. 
I have. It’s quite clear the Joker caused immense amounts of suffering. No utilitarian believes real people should be subject to thought experiments -- that’s insane. 

If anything, the choice by the people in those two boats proves that people care deeply about the ethics of consequences. With neither boat pressing the button, they both made the utilitarian choice (you would reasonably expect the other boat to press the button, so you shouldn’t press it as well as that’d cause both boats to explode), and bought time for the Joker’s actions to not cause immense amounts of suffering. 

But I’ll also say that effective altruism does not have to be utilitarian. Effective altruism just believes in impartiality -- the idea that (1) we should strive to do good and (2) do good in a manner that is impartial between people, regardless of what specific problem afflicts them or where in the world they live. This leads to a philosophy of doing as much good as possible, given we have limited resources. Sure, it’s somewhat scientific -- but it is also absolutely deeply empathetic. Compassion is at the core of effective altruism -- it’s all about expanding your moral circle, beyond just the beggar you can see (who also 100% merits our compassion), but also to the millions of people in poverty around the world, billions of animals in factory farms, and the entire future of humanity. 
badger
badger
Don't get me wrong, you sound like a very good dude. It's just Singer never sat right with me, especially his ideas about infanticide and regarding people with disabilities. His motivations feel inhuman.

I also wonder if you as an Indian are not perhaps more susceptible to utilitarian ideas being from such a massive country and of such pronounced poverty. 

I don't know. I think there's a lot to be careful of in utilitarian thinking. Or a lot missing. 
badger
badger
Do you pull the lever? Trolley problem. 
badger
badger
One person who strongly believes in the above principle is Peter Singer, an Australian philosopher who now teaches at Princeton. Singer believes our intuitions are what lead us astray in “The Footbridge Case” not our principles and we should ignore our intuitions or change them.

Singer believes we should always act so as to bring about the best consequences overall and so we should get over our reluctance to push the fairly large person and do the right thing: save the five workmen further down the tracks by sacrificing the one.

Singer’s explanation why we are misled and hesitate to do the right thing in “The Footbridge Case” is due to fact that we’re asked to put our bare hands on another human being and shove that person to his death. We should always, Singer believes, “save five by sacrificing one” but because we are asked to do something that produces an intense emotional response, that very intense emotional response gets in the way of our capacity to think clearly and rationally about the problem.

Singer acknowledges that there are differences in the two cases. He agrees that our immediate intuitive responses upon hearing each case, the original Trolley case and the Footbridge case, point in different directions. In the first case we’re ready to sacrifice one to save five, in the Footbridge case, we are not. But Singer believes the examples simply reveal that we should revise or bracket our intuitions and act rationally.
Shila
Shila
-->
@badger
Don't get me wrong, you sound like a very good dude. It's just Singer never sat right with me, especially his ideas about infanticide and regarding people with disabilities. His motivations feel inhuman.

I also wonder if you as an Indian are not perhaps more susceptible to utilitarian ideas being from such a massive country and of such pronounced poverty. 

I don't know. I think there's a lot to be careful of in utilitarian thinking. Or a lot missing. 
Indians call it practical thinking. Go where your Karma will serve you well.

12 days later

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@badger
Do you pull the lever? Trolley problem. 
I do, but I can also see the argument against pulling the lever. 

I’d say the question of whether to pull the lever is more about the distinction between omission and commission, though -- whether taking a life is worse than letting someone die (which, to be fair, I think it is, but I just don’t think it’s 2x worse, or 5x worse, depending on your presentation of the trolley problem). You could refuse to pull the lever, and still think helping people in need in a manner that’s as effective as possible is really good. 

15 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@badger
One person who strongly believes in the above principle is Peter Singer, an Australian philosopher who now teaches at Princeton. Singer believes our intuitions are what lead us astray in “The Footbridge Case” not our principles and we should ignore our intuitions or change them. 

Singer believes we should always act so as to bring about the best consequences overall and so we should get over our reluctance to push the fairly large person and do the right thing: save the five workmen further down the tracks by sacrificing the one. 

Singer’s explanation why we are misled and hesitate to do the right thing in “The Footbridge Case” is due to fact that we’re asked to put our bare hands on another human being and shove that person to his death. We should always, Singer believes, “save five by sacrificing one” but because we are asked to do something that produces an intense emotional response, that very intense emotional response gets in the way of our capacity to think clearly and rationally about the problem.

Singer acknowledges that there are differences in the two cases. He agrees that our immediate intuitive responses upon hearing each case, the original Trolley case and the Footbridge case, point in different directions. In the first case we’re ready to sacrifice one to save five, in the Footbridge case, we are not. But Singer believes the examples simply reveal that we should revise or bracket our intuitions and act rationally.
Choosing between hypotheticals are easier than real life decisions.

422 days later

petalsimran
petalsimran
From engagements, anniversary, weddings &birthdays to bachelor/bachelorettes, communions, and christenings – we havemade to order & custom cakes that will add to the celebrations! We payspecial attention to every little detail and create one-of-a-kind cakes thatlook amazing and taste just as good! We also do wedding cards, in—room giftsfor weddings, give-away hampers, corporate gifting for Diwali, Eid, Christmas,etc.

sadolite
sadolite
How many trillions in national debt can the US federal govt accumulate before the US dollar and the economy collapses? There has to be a number, otherwise money just grows on trees and we pay taxes for no apparent reason.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@sadolite
I don't know,
I imagine there's 'some formula.

If more people use it, the dollar might stretch more, a bit.

"As a candidate, Milei pledged to purge the political establishment of corruption, eliminate the Central Bank he has accused of printing money and fueling inflation, and replace the rapidly depreciating peso with the U.S. dollar."

Or contract if people use it less,