Getting inflation back to target in America might require a recession

Author: Tejretics

Total: 32
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
The Fed not getting inflation back to its 2% target is heavily unideal (especially given that the Fed’s actual target -- based on flexible average inflation targeting -- is below 2%). 

• The Fed’s credibility is really important for long-term economic stability. To prevent a future inflation from spiraling out of control as people and firms make early purchases to avoid the risk of future inflation, you need to believe the Fed will act. 
  • The function of a flexible average inflation target is that, in times of low inflation, you know there’ll be high inflation in the future and hence make a bunch of purchases now. In times of high inflation, you know inflation will go below 2% in the future, so postponing some purchases might make sense if the nominal interest rate exceeds expected future inflation, even if it’s below current inflation. 
Unfortunately, it appears that getting to 2% is going to be really difficult. Jason Furman, former chief economist under the Obama Administration, summarizes empirical research by Larry Ball, Daniel Leigh, and Prachi Mishra, and says:

I assumed that the labor market will cool on its own as job openings fall two-thirds of the way back to what they were before Covid. I also assumed that inflation expectations will fall back toward where they were before Covid and that the recent good news on gasoline and other volatile prices will keep coming for the rest of 2022. Under these assumptions, which are more optimistic than the authors’ midpoint scenario, if the unemployment rate follows the Federal Open Market Committee’s median economic projection from June that the unemployment will rise to only 4.1%, then the inflation rate will still be about 4% at the end of 2025. To get the inflation rate to the Fed’s target of 2% by then would require an average unemployment rate of about 6.5% in 2023 and 2024. 
Larry Summers, former Secretary of the Treasury and NEC Director, agrees. Summers, Olivier Blanchard (former IMF chief economist), and Alex Domash estimate that 5% unemployment is likely necessary to “get the labor market back into balance.” 

Here’s the problem: according to the Sahm Rule, “the three-month moving average of the national unemployment rate (U3) rises by 0.50 percentage points or more relative to its low during the previous 12 months” only at the beginning of a recession. The current unemployment rate is 3.6 percent. That means a monetary policy tight enough to induce that much unemployment -- in itself incredibly, incredibly costly -- would likely induce a recession. 

Paul Krugman is more skeptical, but his transitory inflation stories so far haven’t been great at prediction at all. Summers and Furman’s predictions have been more consistently right. 

That puts the U.S. in an incredibly tough place. It has to choose between meeting the inflation target or avoiding unemployment much higher than it currently is, which would be devastating for the working class. In general, I think unemployment is more harmful than inflation -- but I suspect unemployment is still too low for inflation to be in control. Therefore, I agree with Furman’s conclusion: perhaps, for now, the Fed should aim for around 3 percent inflation. That’s a more realistic target, that maintains the Fed’s credibility somewhat, but also doesn’t induce staggering costs on poor workers. 
Lair77
Debates: 4
Lair77
Definitely.  Paul Volcker, fed chairman in the early 80's, aggressively reduced interest rates.  It caused a sharp recession in 1983, but the economy recovered in 1984.

The question is: Do we do it quickly and have a severe but short recession?  Or do it slowly, and make it take a really long time for the economy to get back to normal?
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@Lair77
Definitely.  Paul Volcker, fed chairman in the early 80's, aggressively reduced interest rates.  It caused a sharp recession in 1983, but the economy recovered in 1984.

The question is: Do we do it quickly and have a severe but short recession?  Or do it slowly, and make it take a really long time for the economy to get back to normal?
I hope the economy doesn’t slip into a recession. The democrats will be blamed for overstimulating the economy with all those handouts.

Lair77
Lair77
-->
@Shila
I hope the economy doesn’t slip into a recession.
It will.  Recessions always happen every decade or so.  It's an inevitability of the business cycle.

I just hope it does quickly.  If the recession can start in 2023 and recover during 2024 that would be perfect for Biden. 
But if the recession starts in 2024 and ends in 2025, we might get President DeSantis.

The democrats will be blamed for overstimulating the economy with all those handouts.
Even though trillions of dollars of covid relief bills were signed during both Trump and Biden's terms.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Lair77
--> @Shila
I hope the economy doesn’t slip into a recession. 
It will.  Recessions always happen every decade or so.  It's an inevitability of the business cycle.

I just hope it does quickly.  If the recession can start in 2023 and recover during 2024 that would be perfect for Biden.  
But if the recession starts in 2024 and ends in 2025, we might get President DeSantis.

The democrats will be blamed for overstimulating the economy with all those handouts.
Even though trillions of dollars of covid relief bills were signed during both Trump and Biden's terms.
Trump did not respond well to the Covid pandemic. He was in denial and thought just blaming China for the Covid virus would be adequate. Trump’s slow reaction turned America into the epicentre of Covid.

Lair77
Lair77
Yes, true, but that's changing the topic.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Lair77

Trump did not respond well to the Covid pandemic. He was in denial and thought just blaming China for the Covid virus would be adequate. Trump’s slow reaction turned America into the epicentre of Covid.

Yes, true, but that's changing the topic.
Because Trump did not respond quickly or adequately America became the epicentre of Covid.
This made it necessary for Biden to add billions more to deal with Covid which spread across America.

The people applauded Biden’s success controlling the pandemic.

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Lair77
Okay, I'm anti-Trump and pro-Biden, but this is unfair -- Trump signed those bills when the economy was significantly depressed and inflation was well below 2%, Biden signed that bill against the warnings of some economists (like Summers) and when the economy was clearly in an expansionary period. There was bipartisan support for Trump's bills, but only the Democrats supported Biden's. 

To be clear, I'm not claiming current inflation is primarily due to excessive government spending. But certainly some of 2021’s inflation was.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Tejretics
--> @Lair77
Okay, I'm anti-Trump and pro-Biden, but this is unfair -- Trump signed those bills when the economy was significantly depressed and inflation was well below 2%, Biden signed that bill against the warnings of some economists (like Summers) and when the economy was clearly in an expansionary period. There was bipartisan support for Trump's bills, but only the Democrats supported Biden's. 

To be clear, I'm not claiming current inflation is primarily due to excessive government spending. But certainly some of 2021’s inflation was.
The Republicans also supported Bush W. and Bush W. saw a recession, housing and stock market crash. So republicans know what to do to hurt the democrats.

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Shila
The Republicans also supported Bush W. and Bush W. saw a recession, housing and stock market crash. So republicans know what to do to hurt the democrats.
First, the Republicans were hurt by the recession. In the 2008 election, Democrats won a majority in the House, a supermajority in the Senate, and the presidency. 

Second, despite all his faults, I don’t think you can blame George W. Bush for the recession. The financial crisis was caused by a bunch of housing loans going bad, and that turned into a recession due to a slow Fed response (leaving interest rates, while low, higher than the “natural” rate of interest). 

Again, I feel the need to clarify that I’m a liberal. I would have supported Obama in 2008, and supported Clinton in 2016 and Biden in 2020 (and I’ll support Biden in 2024 as well). I think there’s a bunch of problems with both the Bush and Trump administrations. I just don’t really think you can blame the Great Recession on Bush, nor blame Trump for current inflation. I think the former was no politician’s fault, and the latter was in part the fault of the Biden administration. 
Lair77
Lair77
-->
@Tejretics
I'm not claiming current inflation is primarily due to excessive government spending. But certainly some of 2021’s inflation was.
Reasonable take.  But my question is, what other time period was the United States supposed to pass large pieces of domestic legislation?

In 2010-2016 when Republicans had majorities over Obama and blocked literally everything?
In 2016-2020 when Trump was president?
In 2023-2024 when Democrats likely lose the Senate while Republicans likely lose the house, and basically neither party is able to do anything?

It's unlucky that 2021-2022 is the one period where inflation is occuring, but it's also the only window of time in 10+ years where it's even possible to pass big bills.

cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Tejretics
Good post.

It has to choose between meeting the inflation target or avoiding unemployment much higher than it currently is, which would be devastating for the working class.
I think it would be worse for the middle class. I see “hiring” and “help wanted” signs everywhere, and they are almost all for retail stores and restaurant workers. The unskilled labor market seems tighter than ever. This stands in contrast to prepandemic.

Here’s a look at the most in-demand types of jobs:

With a few exceptions, most vacancies are in lower salary, unskilled fields. I think the issue will be not so much pure unemployment as massive underemployment.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Tejretics

--> @Shila
First, the Republicans were hurt by the recession. In the 2008 election, Democrats won a majority in the House, a supermajority in the Senate, and the presidency. 

Second, despite all his faults, I don’t think you can blame George W. Bush for the recession. The financial crisis was caused by a bunch of housing loans going bad, and that turned into a recession due to a slow Fed response (leaving interest rates, while low, higher than the “natural” rate of interest). 

Again, I feel the need to clarify that I’m a liberal. I would have supported Obama in 2008, and supported Clinton in 2016 and Biden in 2020 (and I’ll support Biden in 2024 as well). I think there’s a bunch of problems with both the Bush and Trump administrations. I just don’t really think you can blame the Great Recession on Bush, nor blame Trump for current inflation. I think the former was no politician’s fault, and the latter was in part the fault of the Biden administration. 
After the Great Depression most economist felt the government was too slow to respond.

Stimulating the economy is one way to avoid  a recession.

Bush dragged the country into 2 wars that cost over 4 trillion but achieved nothing.
Trump mishandled Covid and that set back the economy by trillions.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Lair77
Reasonable take.  But my question is, what other time period was the United States supposed to pass large pieces of domestic legislation?

In 2010-2016 when Republicans had majorities over Obama and blocked literally everything?
In 2016-2020 when Trump was president?
In 2023-2024 when Democrats likely lose the Senate while Republicans likely lose the house, and basically neither party is able to do anything?

It's unlucky that 2021-2022 is the one period where inflation is occuring, but it's also the only window of time in 10+ years where it's even possible to pass big bills.
I’m somewhat confused. There are two types of spending bills. There’s Democratic bills that would be good to pass at some opportune time (e.g., the infrastructure bill). Those, I fully support. And there’s bills which don’t really make major productive investments, whose main goal is to stimulate the economy. That was the first big spending bill in 2021, and I think $1.9 trillion was way too big. 

Passing a trillion dollar stimulus bill in 2016–2019 would have been stupid, because the economy didn’t need stimulus. In 2020, while Trump was president, they did pass a stimulus bill, and it was great. In 2021, the economy didn’t need a stimulus bill of that size -- they should’ve gone with Summers’s $450 billion recommendation. 

There are some “big bills” that Democrats should find opportune times to pass. This was not one of them -- it wasn’t a bill on the Democratic agenda for a while, it was explicitly aimed at combating the COVID-induced recession. The issue wasn’t the timing of the bill; the issue was the bill itself. When should the government have spent $1.9 trillion on stimulus? I’d say never, because there wasn’t a $1.9 trillion output gap. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@Tejretics
I’m somewhat confused. There are two types of spending bills. There’s Democratic bills that would be good to pass at some opportune time (e.g., the infrastructure bill). Those, I fully support. And there’s bills which don’t really make major productive investments, whose main goal is to stimulate the economy. That was the first big spending bill in 2021, and I think $1.9 trillion was way too big.

Passing a trillion dollar stimulus bill in 2016–2019 would have been stupid, because the economy didn’t need stimulus. In 2020, while Trump was president, they did pass a stimulus bill, and it was great. In 2021, the economy didn’t need a stimulus bill of that size -- they should’ve gone with Summers’s $450 billion recommendation.

There are some “big bills” that Democrats should find opportune times to pass. This was not one of them -- it wasn’t a bill on the Democratic agenda for a while, it was explicitly aimed at combating the COVID-induced recession. The issue wasn’t the timing of the bill; the issue was the bill itself. When should the government have spent $1.9 trillion on stimulus? I’d say never, because there wasn’t a $1.9 trillion output gap.

As President Joe Biden embarks on an ambitious plan to sell his massive coronavirus relief package to the public, conservatives are starting to ask: Did we botch this?

The overwhelming sentiment within the Republican Party is that voters will turn on the $1.9 trillion bill over time. But that wait-and-see approach has baffled some GOP luminaries and Trump World figures who expected Republicans to seize their first opportunity to cast newly-in-charge Democrats as out of control. Instead, they fear the party did little to dent Biden’s major victory — a victory that could embolden the administration in forthcoming legislative fights and even the lead up to the midterm elections.

The lack of response to this bill in an organized messaging and aggressive media push back is shown by the fact that Democrats have now gone from $2 trillion to a $4 trillion infrastructure package. If Covid relief was that easy, why not just run the table?” said former Trump White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.
“It’s a fairly popular bill that polled well because it’s been sold as a Covid relief bill with direct cash payments to Americans — what’s not to like?” he added. “However, that’s not what the bill is. That’s a huge problem because 2022 has already started and you don’t see the fight here.”

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Tejretics
There are some “big bills” that Democrats should find opportune times to pass. This was not one of them -- it wasn’t a bill on the Democratic agenda for a while, it was explicitly aimed at combating the COVID-induced recession. The issue wasn’t the timing of the bill; the issue was the bill itself. When should the government have spent $1.9 trillion on stimulus? I’d say never, because there wasn’t a $1.9 trillion output gap. 
So I’m not broadly disagreeing with the idea that the stimulus package was a bit too big - but only $400bn was direct stimulus checks. Much of the remainder was unemployment, business and local government support.

While I won’t necessarily say all of that ended up being used for support and not stimulus or was all well spent - I think there is definitely a case to be made that the conversation about inflation is being had because the stimulus prevented a wider recession that would be being talked about otherwise.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Ramshutu
While I won’t necessarily say all of that ended up being used for support and not stimulus or was all well spent - I think there is definitely a case to be made that the conversation about inflation is being had because the stimulus prevented a wider recession that would be being talked about otherwise.
This is just a question about what the appropriate size of the stimulus was. 

An appropriately sized stimulus would have both prevented recession and avoided inflation. If a recession followed, it probably undershot (or, more precisely, monetary policy wasn’t expansionary enough, since I think the Fed can mostly offset the effects of fiscal stimulus); if high inflation followed, it probably overshot. 

Estimates of the output gap -- that is, how far the economy was from its productive capacity -- were mostly in the range of $400 to $500 billion. The package was $1.9 trillion, which was an overshoot by most estimates. You suggest that only a fraction was “stimulus checks” -- but spending that has stimulative effects doesn’t have to be checks; when I say “stimulus,” I mean “fiscal stimulus,” not “stimulus checks.” As I wrote about here, I thought most stimulus money would just be used to pay off debt or function as relief, but that’s pretty empirically dubious in retrospect. 
Shila
Shila
Inflation was caused by a shortage in the supply line due to Ukraine war, Covid caused shutdowns both in China and US and demand was growing. The stimulus also made plenty of cash available to consumers that drove the demand and price higher than expected. Hence the inflation.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Shila
Inflation was caused by a shortage in the supply line due to Ukraine war, Covid caused shutdowns both in China and US and demand was growing. The stimulus also made plenty of cash available to consumers that drove the demand and price higher than expected. Hence the inflation.
I agree. I think the demand-side is probably a bit more important, since nominal GDP continues to grow very fast (if it were largely supply-side, real GDP growth would fall, and nominal GDP wouldn’t be growing much faster than trend). 

37 days later

Shila
Shila
--> @Shila
I agree. I think the demand-side is probably a bit more important, since nominal GDP continues to grow very fast (if it were largely supply-side, real GDP growth would fall, and nominal GDP wouldn’t be growing much faster than trend).
Now we might be heading for a recession because of the higher interest rates imposed by the Federal Reserves to combat inflation. We need a new economic theory.

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Shila
Now we might be heading for a recession because of the higher interest rates imposed by the Federal Reserves to combat inflation. We need a new economic theory.
Read the post’s title. Like I said, a small recession might be necessary to avoid a serious inflationary spiral. 

Shila
Shila
-> @Shila
Read the post’s title. Like I said, a small recession might be necessary to avoid a serious inflationary spiral. 
Inflation is self correcting. Once demand drops inflation will drop. But a recession leads to higher unemployment.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tejretics
@Shila
Same old nonsense/system really

Whereby sentient organic blobs exist for a universal nanosecond upon a tiny spec of universal dust.

And within that brief moment they assume that concepts matter.

Which well they might of course, but on the other hand they of course might not.

There again, if we were a collection of altruistically cooperative blobs, we could do away with money altogether.

And do away with the need for concepts such as spiralling inflation.

Though does inflation actually need to spiral, can't it just inflate.

Though at the very very end, I propose that everything will deflate very very quickly.

No downward spiralling necessary.
Shila
Shila
GDP rose to 2.6%. That is after 2 quarters of negative growth. Recession might be avoided.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Tejretics
I have to disagree with your opinion that employment rates are more impactful than inflation rates.

Employment rates are extremely misleading as they do not show the actual value of time/money. I think I read somewhere that many authoritarian centrally planned regimes like the old soviet union boasted very low unemployment, but it meant very little value for the average person.

Inflation on the other hand DOES have a concrete value and it's a measurable value directly impacting every person affected.
Shila
Shila
High employment can absorb inflation better than low employment which leads to a recession.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Shila
As long as the masses are kept at a level relative to affordability, things will be just fine.

People will still waste money on the unnecessary.
Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
--> @Shila
As long as the masses are kept at a level relative to affordability, things will be just fine.

People will still waste money on the unnecessary
You finally came around to agreeing with my conclusion. 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Shila
Well, I wasn't aware that was your conclusion.

But I'm happy that we agree.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
low employment which leads to a recession.

Recessions cause low employment. Recessions happen when Government or other factors reduce productivity.

Inflation happens when government devalues money by spending more on stuff that cannot be paid for with production.
High employment does not mean more production. The Soviet Union boasted full employment with very low productivity.