Author: badger

Total: 78
Elliott
Debates: 0
Elliott
-->
@3RU7AL
this should be done with all royal assets
Most royal properties are open to the public, including Balmoral Castle where the Queen died. Although they are not totally open to the public if the Monarch is in residence, for privacy and security reasons.

16 days later

coal
Debates: 6
coal
Not my Queen.  

I don't see a Stewart on the throne.  
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
@Elliott
Data storage and transfer is what it is.

What would life be like if we got up every morning and had to rethink everything.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
What would life be like if we got up every morning and had to rethink everything.
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@zedvictor4
Data storage and transfer is what it is.

I wouldn’t want to be born into the British Monarchy. You are permanently under the scrutiny of the media, who will turn on you for what they believe to be the slightest indiscretion. You have little say in how you run your life as you are subject what is known as Royal Protocol. The real power in the palace is held by those Princes Diana called the “men in grey suits,” these are the royal advisers and private secretaries, they are the ones who make the decisions and decide how the Royals must conduct themselves. No thanks.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Elliott
You are permanently under the scrutiny of the media
that's what they want you to think
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@3RU7AL
Can you elucidate on that?
Shila
Shila
-->
@3RU7AL
--> @Shila
They were portrayed as serial killers.
You said it your self, “I said that the language used to attack them was of a kind normally reserved for serial killers.”
does anyone remember the massacres of citizens in india ?
India still joined the Commonwealth.
India gained its independence from Britain without firing a single shot.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Elliott
Can you elucidate on that?
only SOME members of the royal family are required to "show up" for SOME ceremonies

and there is a lot of activity that does NOT get reported in the press
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Shila
not exactly
Shila
Shila
-->
@3RU7AL
-->
@Shila
not exactly

India won its freedom from British colonial rule in 1947, after many decades of struggle. Mohandas Gandhi, known as Mahatma Gandhi, joined the fight in 1914 and led the country to independence, using his method of nonviolent protest known as satyagraha

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Shila
not exactly

Shila
Shila
-->
@3RU7AL
--> @Shila
not exactly

Great movie.
Now you know why the British withdraw from India without firing a shot. They did not want to end up in a Indian bestseller movie.

Elliott
Elliott
-->
@3RU7AL
only SOME members of the royal family are required to "show up" for SOME ceremonies

They do get some moments of privacy and those considered not to be senior royals get more privacy unless they do something considered inappropriate and therefore newsworthy. The royals are also subjected to what are professional gossip mongers, the papers frequently feature articles about the royals and those article’s credibility relies on something like “a royal expert has said” “a palace insider has claimed” “a royal source has alleged,” all basically appeals to some anonymous authority. There are also royal biographers who have never spoken to a member of the royal family but rely on similar gossip. Although the royal family has the legal right to sue for libel, it is unlikely that they would do so because of royal protocol, and the media knows this. Stories about the royals sell papers and the gullible lap up all they read.

Personally, I am neither pro nor anti royal. Although I do find all the pageantry and ritual fascinating in a surreal sort of way.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Elliott
-> @3RU7AL

They do get some moments of privacy and those considered not to be senior royals get more privacy unless they do something considered inappropriate and therefore newsworthy. The royals are also subjected to what are professional gossip mongers, the papers frequently feature articles about the royals and those article’s credibility relies on something like “a royal expert has said” “a palace insider has claimed” “a royal source has alleged,” all basically appeals to some anonymous authority. There are also royal biographers who have never spoken to a member of the royal family but rely on similar gossip. Although the royal family has the legal right to sue for libel, it is unlikely that they would do so because of royal protocol, and the media knows this. Stories about the royals sell papers and the gullible lap up all they read.

Personally, I am neither pro nor anti royal. Although I do find all the pageantry and ritual fascinating in a surreal sort of way.
Both Trump and Americans can learn from the Monarchy how to earn the respect of its subjects.
Trump as a former president was impeached twice.

Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Shila
Both Trump and Americans can learn from the Monarchy how to earn the respect of its subjects.
Trump as a former president was impeached twice.
Here in the UK Trump is mostly seen as a joke; even his name is a joke “trump” means “fart.”
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Elliott
Although I do find all the pageantry and ritual fascinating in a surreal sort of way.
hypnotic even
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Shila
not exactly

i think the brits might have fired a few shots
Shila
Shila
-->
@3RU7AL
--> @Shila
not exactly

i think the brits might have fired a few shots
Like the Americans that withdrew from Vietnam and Afghanistan without firing a shot so did the British leave India without firing a shot.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Shila
Like the Americans that withdrew from Vietnam and Afghanistan without firing a shot so did the British leave India without firing a shot.
shots were fired in all of your examples
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Shila
Alluri Sitarama Raju and Komaram Bheem were real-life Indian freedom fighters, albeit ones who lived decades apart and never actually met. [**]
Shila
Shila
-->
@3RU7AL
->
@Shila
Alluri Sitarama Raju and Komaram Bheem were real-life Indian freedom fighters, albeit ones who lived decades apart and never actually met

Who won independence for India?

Mohandas GANDHI

Years of nonviolent resistance to British rule, led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU, eventually resulted in Indian independence in 1947. Large-scale communal violence took place before and after the subcontinent partition into two separate states - India and Pakistan.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Elliott
I agree.

But one must consider whether the system is beneficial in the long term.

And me being a British minion, thinks that it is.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@RationalMadman
I agree, the concept of a Monarchy makes me throw up in my mouth.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Elliott
Which area of UK does Trump mean fart? That seems extremely local slang...
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Shila
Large-scale communal violence took place before and after the subcontinent partition into two separate states
but somehow, "not a single shot was fired"
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
But one must consider whether the system is beneficial in the long term.

And me being a British minion, thinks that it is.
please be slightly more specific
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@RationalMadman
Which area of UK does Trump mean fart? That seems extremely local slang...
Trump is a common slang term for fart, it originated in the north but is now widely used across England. It refers to the trumpeting sound made when breaking wind. His name caused some amusement long before he became President.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Elliott
Are you a fan of Bush? I prefer my presidents well trimmed.
Elliott
Elliott
Are you a fan of Bush? I prefer my presidents well trimmed.
No, the first one was okay but of no real importance over here, the second one however dragged us into a bloody silly war.

The name Bush doesn’t quite have the same amusement value, as apart from the innuendo it can equally mean a shrub or a fox’s tail. Trump however can only mean a fart or a bragging inadequate.