The Queen

Author: badger

Total: 78
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Well, governed societies are essential to quality of life for the individual. The other option being anarchic chaos, rather than blissful individualism.

So, governed societies tend to follow one of two paths, participatory democracy or oppressive authoritarianism.

So, Britain following the former, has a typical hierarchical social structure which works well relative to how British society has developed over time.

Due largely to an evolved/continually evolving sense of fairness. 

Nonetheless in any society there is still the need for the individual to take responsibility for their own circumstances. Nanny State can also be oppressive.

In my opinion British society strikes a happy balance between care and individual responsibility relative to the natural hierarchical ability of the individual.

In short, men in grey suits don't bother me at all, because I don't bother men in grey suits. They do their thing and I do mine and we get along fine.

Of course, there is always the whinging minority that are never happy. And that's their problem.

Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@3RU7AL
--> @Shila
Large-scale communal violence took place before and after the subcontinent partition into two separate states
but somehow, "not a single shot was fired"
To avoid bloodshed the leaders agreed on partition. That is how Pakistan became an independent country after separating from India.

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Elliott
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Shila
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
13 minutes 58 seconds too long for me.

I may be happy with the system.

But I tend to ignore the pomp.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
the queen (now king) has significantly more power than i thought

they have to explicitly approve of any law that might affect them

BEFORE it is even presented to parliament

they have the right to depose any prime minister they dislike

they can veto any law

and they have full personal and diplomatic immunity from criminal and civil charges world-wide

and they receive a multi-million dollar "allowance" from the state, in addition to their vast private holdings and investments
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
also, they don't pay any inheritance tax
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@3RU7AL
I tend to be sceptical of any media source but particularly YouTube videos.

The video mentioned that she used her powers to veto various Bills and she did veto those Bills but only on government advice; which is politic speak for “because the government told her to.” One Bill mentioned in the video is the “Military Action Against Iraq Bill” and I thought to look into that one. This article in the Guardian, which is one of the more reasonably honest UK newspapers, covers the incident and although it is Queen’s veto, it is enforced under government instructions.

The video also says that the Monarch is above the law and this is true, but although the Monarch can’t face prosecution, if say he or she went on a killing spree, then they would probably find themselves in a similar predicament to King George III and we would have a Regent on the throne.

I didn’t bother watching it any further.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Elliott
 but only on government advice
how does "the government" pass a bill and then tell the queen to veto it ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Elliott
I didn’t bother watching it any further.
did you catch the part where they passed a law to INCREASE the royal allowance by 10X ?
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@3RU7AL
how does "the government" pass a bill and then tell the queen to veto it ?
The bill hadn’t been passed; the Queen’s veto was used to prevent this. If you read the article you should get an idea of how it works.
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@3RU7AL
did you catch the part where they passed a law to INCREASE the royal allowance by 10X ?
No I didn’t but the video’s title “The Queen doesn’t want you to know this” complete with an emoji limited its credibility for me.

If it is talking about the Sovereign Grant, the amount that is paid is decided upon and authorised by Prime Minister, the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Keeper of the Privy Purse, I don’t think the Monarch has a say in it.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Elliott
-> @3RU7AL
No I didn’t but the video’s title “The Queen doesn’t want you to know this” complete with an emoji limited its credibility for me.

If it is talking about the Sovereign Grant, the amount that is paid is decided upon and authorised by Prime Minister, the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Keeper of the Privy Purse, I don’t think the Monarch has a say in it.
The Queen is dead. Let her Rest In Peace.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Shila
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Shila
Plenty of people are dead who are still subject to discussion.
Shila
Shila
-->
@3RU7AL
-> @Shila
That won’t wake up  the Queen either.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Best not think about it too much.