"Gender Affirming Care" is a snare and a delusion

Author: coal

Total: 179
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
-->
@coal
You spent time drafting a long post on a debate site where you know 99% of the people already agree with you. In other words you wrote a meaningless dissertation solely for everyone's approval. Now did you do this because you're an unlikable loser with nothing better to do than pander for 'likes' on an obscure social site frequented  by a dozen college students? Perhaps. But the right answer is usually what's most obvious, and what's obvious is that you're a 30-something year old faggot  whose spent the last 2 decades of your life desperately looking for validation from strangers online. Believe me when I say I've never seen someone thirster and more starved for attention in my entire life. 

Ask yourself why you'd even bother to reply to my post if you lack the capacity or interest to respond like an adult. If you're that desperate for engagement but unable to be respectful, why don't you just go create another AMA where you can pathetically beg people to give a shit about you and try to convince yourself that they really care about what you have to say? I'm sure if you ask enough times someone will oblige you and let you pontificate so you can feel like the omniscient super expert you try so hard to convince everyone you are. I mean it's possible your parents never cared about what you had to say and I'm sorry if that's what you're compensating for as an adult, but please stop trying to antagonize me like a 13 year old girl.  Like enough with the cyberbullying Hannah Montana. Why are you going out of your way telling randos that I'm dumb and not to talk to me? Come on dude that's so embarrassing for you. You're a grown man. Mind ya business. Relax. Go take a popper and asphyxiate yourself. I promise you that nobody thinks you're cool for behaving this way. 

Note all I did was explain where I both agree and disagree with what you said (no snark, no sarcasm, no rudeness) and yet you lashed out at me like I'm the last guy that gave you poop dick. Bruh WHO HURT YOU??!! The OP was dumb as hell but I didn't feel the need to call you names or insult you despite such low hanging fruit.  I sincerely think it's about time you talk with a therapist about why you're so triggered by me. It's wild that I still have so much power over you. I don't even have to acknowledge that you exist - just me having a perfectly nice dialog with other people bothers you to the point you have to chime in and insert yourself in order to feel included and relevant lol. It's sad. We both know I'll hold this power over you forever though and I fucking love that. 

coal
Debates: 6
coal
Only on the internet can someone be an "expert" in postmodernism from a course of study lasting no more than a couple of months, as an undergraduate on an unrelated topic. 

It is beyond obvious that what I said about Foucault went over Dani's head.  She actually wrote another post in reply to me, but maybe deleted it?  I don't know.  I got a notification but then the post was deleted.

Weird.

coal
coal
-->
@Danielle
You spent time drafting a long post on a debate site where you know 99% of the people already agree with you.

Now there's the Dani I've been waiting for!  Armchair psychologizing of course.  What else is there, for the washed up dyke that has all the comedic aptitude of Samantha Bee.  Lesbians seem to fall into two categories: the ones who are fun to drink with, and the ones who should be put on mood stabilizers.  You're not in the first category, at least not anymore. 

If you think a few paragraphs are a dissertation, I guess we've just learned why you failed out of school, dearest ;)  Sorry you couldn't cut it there either.  Just like Foucault was over your head.  Not like it's all that complicated.   If you want me to treat you like an adult, act like it.  Otherwise, I'll treat you like the whiny little bitch you've been conducting yourself as.  

I responded to the hand-full of points you made that weren't totally incoherent.  And you dropped the ball, Dani.  Why is that?  Do you think you you act like a giant cunt you will be perceived as smart?  

Doesn't work that way, darling. 

In other words you wrote a meaningless dissertation solely for everyone's approval. 
For the sake of argument --- which, frankly, I don't care to engage in ---  let's assume you were absolutely correct on all your claims about me.  Even if all of your little mini state of psychosis was taken at face value, there isn't a single word that even addresses the points I've made.  Much less refutes them.  So, fair to say you actually agree with everything I said?  Glad we've sorted that out.  

Now we can move to the much more interesting subject of you, since like all ridiculous white Karen's you have made this thread about yourself:

I sincerely think it's about time you talk with a therapist about why you're so triggered by me. It's wild that I still have so much power over you. . . . We both know I'll hold this power over you forever though and I fucking love that. 
Everything is about you, Dani.  Everything.  The world.  Revolves.  Around.  You.  Just like all neurotic white women.  

There is nothing I could say or do to disabuse you of that notion.   
coal
coal
It is almost as if Dani thinks I wrote this thread for the sole purpose of triggering her, then . . . when she goes all "I demand to speak to the manager!" on me . . . ironically, of course . . . I am somehow to blame?  

Only in the mind of our resident Karen.  

Tangentially, Freud would have a ball with that last post.  All that discussion of "power" that a washed up dyke has over a little old me?  Reads like a poorly written dominatrix fantasy.

Sorry to disappoint, but you really aren't my type.  
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@thett3
There is nothing convoluted or complicated about the concept of sex/gender at all. It's just about the most simple concept there is. 

The biggest source of confusion is semantics. People disagree that sex and gender are the same thing, and even those who believe they're different often use the words interchangeably.

Consider that 1 in 20,000 men have no Y chromosome. About 40% of men also lose Y chromosomes as they age. Does that mean they are no longer men? If not then being a man seems to be predicated on things other than chromones. And people would say maleness even more so than being a man is about way more than chromosomes, because maleness is about gendered stereotypes and gendered constructs in a society (not just having a dick) that dictate how people perceive males or experience males or interact with males. There's more to add here re: post modernism but eh it's a lot. 

Nobody is born into the "wrong" body because for all practical purposes we are our bodies. 
For the most part I agree, but I can't claim to have knowledge about someone else's experience. If someone tells me they feel happy, how can I say they're wrong and they don't really feel happy?  How can I tell a trans woman they don't really feel like a woman? 

So when you say " There should be long, tough conversations with parents, doctors and therapists to ensure a minor (if we're talking about minors only now for some reason) has a good understanding of what they're getting into." that isn't happening! At no point in the process is it suggested that the child's perception of their gender identity is incorrect, or harmful. This stuff is so new that NOBODY, even the doctors, know what these children are getting into! 
With all due respect how do you know this? Do you know anyone that's transitioned? I'm willing to bet that you don't know a single person that's trans and you're cherry picking second-hand stories or minority examples that get amplified online by right-wingers excited  to say "See I told ya they would regret it!" whenever they come across one. I've never met a trans person that did not have long and hard conversations with their family and doctors.  Every single one of them saw a therapist. Even with accepting parents the majority of the world does not approve and trans people have a lot of explaining to do. What is giving you the idea that tough conversations aren't happening with them? Because of celebs posting she/her on twitter? Hollywood isn't real life. 

As a matter of fact, being a member of a "marginalized" group is indeed VERY hip at the moment. 
Explain to me how it's VERY hip to be trans and how people's lives improve overall as the result of claiming to be trans. Are you gonna say that they get a lot of 'likes' on social media as if we're supposed to discount all the vitriol and death threats they get on social media and in real life? Are you gonna say that experiencing kindness and support by some is supposed to override all the hate and shame from others? 90% of people surveyed have said they have no interest in dating a trans person (I'm confident the real number is much higher). I could go on but I don't want to put words in your mouth and make assumptions. So if you don't mind please tell me why it's great to be trans. Explain it to me like I'm 5. 

If trans identification WASN'T often the result of social contagion but an organic result of people being more accepting, we would see more adult people coming out as trans, we wouldn't see it cluster in friend groups nor would the increase be concentrated among teenage girls with other mental health issues, the kind who may have cut themselves in past times. 2% of a sexually dimorphic species aren't born in the "wrong" body. What's happening is pretty obvious
I disagree with the first part. Let me ask you this: who would you assume to be more likely of accepting someone coming out as trans - my friends or Greyparrot's friends? Why? 

I've often joked about how amusing it is that everyone is gay these days. I don't think more people are gay now than in the past per se. I think people are just  more open to admitting it and more open experimenting. It would be nonsensical to think that a heteronormative and religious culture that's condemned homosexuality for centuries has played no role in people's willingness to entertain or acknowledge being gay. Or trans. 

I agree with you that 2% of people are likely not born in the wrong body. That's why I said we need to stop equating sex and gender so that people stop mutilating themselves solely because they feel more masculine or more feminine than they're supposed to based on their genitals.

But again it's also hard for me to tell someone they're wrong when I have positively no idea what they're experiencing. It would be likes someone telling me that I'm not gay (which I get told all the time because I'm feminine). People think because I wear a dress I couldn't really like like fucking women. I'm like uh... I ASSURE YOU THAT I DO. So the idea of arguing with someone about how they feel seems fruitless to me. I can't take it seriously when someone presumes to know more about what's in my head, heart or loins than I do so it feels hypocritical to do that to others  in turn just because I don't understand them the way others don't understand me. 

I'm absolutely flabbergasted that your response to giving strong hormones and irreversible surgical procedures to minors when by your own admission we have no research on the long term effects is that we should go ahead and do it anyway.
What on earth gives you the impression that I would oppose something just because it's new? By that logic we would have no advancement in medicine, science or culture. Mr. Wright are you really going to defy gravity with that airplane? Ms. Bridges are you really going to be the first black girl in an all white school when we don't know the consequences of integration?  Mr. Jenner do you really think we should inject ourselves with smallpox to get rid of smallpox with this so-called "vaccine?" 

I don't accept that because there is little research on something that it should never be tested or researched going forward. That is the antithesis of what I believe. If someone is desperate enough to volunteer to be a pioneer with a risky surgery they believe could save or significantly improve the quality of their life, that's their prerogative after consulting about potential risks. If they're wrong they will have to live with their decision just like everybody else on this planet that regrets an irreversible decision.  

Most European countries are moving away from "gender affirming" care for minors because the outcomes were not good at all, the depression and anxiety that caused the issues in the first place didn't go away with transition which caused lasting and often unwanted changes
Interesting. I'd like to read about these outcomes - can you share?

Those studies are just surveys asking people, usually soon after they've transitioned, how they feel. It's extremely weak evidence like anything self reported is.

There is at least one survey with 28,000 trans people that checks in with them every few years. The one I'm thinking of has been going on for over a decade though I'm sure there are others. But you're shifting goal posts here in a really obvious way. Self-reported feelings are the ONLY way you can know someone's feelings (maybe until we get further along with brain mapping). Think about how ridiculous what you're saying is: that we can't tell people are really satisfied because we can't trust them, yet apparently we can trust them when they say they're NOT satisfied. That's a little convenient don't you think? 

You know what there aren't studies on? People who desist from identifying as trans. How much you want to bet they're very happy that they didn't get irreversible surgeries or destroy their hormone profile because they had a period of confusion? 
Once again if there are no studies about these people then how are you making objective claims about them? I actually know someone that identified as trans but doesn't anymore. She never expressed interest in transition to me - she was already pretty butch. I have so many questions for her and others for sure. But the fact that she never went through with a transition only bolsters my point that those who do go through with such a life altering process are probably as sure as they can be barring some type of psychological disorder. I acknowledge that a lot of people who claim to be trans are just deeply confused. But those people don't invalidate all the rest. 

Opposing doing this to children is the most open and shut thing I've ever seen
I don't think it's open and shut but I don't see the problem with age restrictions. 

If you don't think a penis should be a "gendered" organ than you should support discouraging people from removing it to try to conform to some imagined and unreachable ideal.
I AGREE! THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING. 

I do recognize the obvious correlations between penises and masculinity. I'm not saying penises shouldn't be gendered or whatever. I'm saying you don't need to have a penis to present yourself as "male" to the world. How do males present to the world as male? Not by exposing their penises to everyone but generally by their name, their physical appearance (short hair, baggier clothes), by dating women, by exhibiting certain traits, etc. If one feels more comfortable doing those things they should do it without feeling the need to  alter their body. I've been saying that over and over. I also don't mind calling them "male" based on them behaving or presenting as society says MALES do. 

I trust people and value their freedom more than you do. We already know that you're fine with and would even prefer a society + government that overrides people's desires for the greater good (or the greater good according to your values) but I don't. 

I recognize your concerns about irreparable changes, especially with kids, but I think we can mitigate that to some degree. At the end of the day I think it is disgusting and self-righteous to get on a moral high horse about something you admit we know very little about and talk about how awful it is. Just as society realized we were dead wrong about things in the past including homosexuality and many others, it's possible and even probable this will be just  another thing on the long list of things we have become more aware of and comfortable with over time.  At the end of the day it really doesn't affect your life in any way  how other people identify or change their bodies, and from the bottom of my heart I don't believe for one second that most conservatives "really care" about trans people. You don't really care about them. You feel sorry for them. There's a difference. There's no need to mask your disapproval or rejection of them as some kind of moral virtue of concern.  

The big differences are that high heels and makeup are completely reversible and aren't objectively harmful like cutting a permanent wound into your body is 
And again I would say if that "wound" makes someone not want to kill themselves or live a life of despair, with the potential to make a huge positive difference in their life as the overwhelming majority of transitioned people claim it does - then I'll have to support it based on everything I know so far. If there is credible evidence that it does more harm than good then my position would shift accordingly. In that case I would probably take a similar position as I have with  heroin: I recognize it's harmful and would strongly advise against using it, but I still think it should be legal. Prolly not for kids.

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@coal
It is almost as if Dani thinks I wrote this thread for the sole purpose of triggering her

No you illiterate twat you made this thread to pander to people that already agree with you for the sole purpose of 'likes' online like a desperate tween. 

When I disagreed, you predictably lashed out at me like a wounded animal. Lord knows you're not  attracted to me but I still have you wrapped around my finger  and I always will. The second I give you attention you'll pounce. Believe me. 
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@coal
Now there's the Dani I've been waiting for! 
OH I KNOW YOU HAVE 

Bones
Debates: 30
Bones
-->
@Danielle
Don’t wish to butt in but I’ll make some comments.

Consider that 1 in 20,000 men have no Y chromosome. About 40% of men also lose Y chromosomes as they age. Does that mean they are no longer men?
I think you’re getting into a slippery slope here - the fact that some male features disintegrates over time does not imply that biological features as a whole cannot determine one’s sex/gender, and it certainly does not support the “self ID” jargon. Being male is predicated upon biological factors which cannot be changed - it is why we can identify the sex of historical figures with ease (notice here how the bodies of Egyptians pharaohs were identified as either male or female despite them being half a millennia old) yet we will never know how they self identified. 

How can I tell a trans woman they don't really feel like a woman?
You could draw out the fact that 

1. Feeling doesn’t necessarily coincide with reality 
  2. To feel like a woman when you have never been a woman is a vacuous claim, akin if I were to assert that I feel like a log.
I've never met a trans person that did not have long and hard conversations with their family and doctors.  Every single one of them saw a therapist
They are called “gender affirming therapists” literally go in with the predisposed intention of affirming whatever the patient says. Imagine if they treated depression with "affirmation" - it’s an absurd practice which stands up to zero scrutiny. The so-called “long and hard conversation” is merely the participation in an echo chamber. 

Explain to me how it's VERY hip to be trans and how people's lives improve overall as the result of claiming to be trans.
It's very clear that transgenderism is extraordinarily hip and wins you virtue signalling points. The fact that teen girls (the group you would most expect to be effected by the hit culture) are 4415% more likely to transition than any other population signifies an extraordinarily powerful cultural influence.

There is at least one survey with 28,000 trans people that checks in with them every few years. The one I'm thinking of has been going on for over a decade though I'm sure there are others.
I have one which has been going on for three decades which holds 

whilst concluding that

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
@coal

Maybe read the suicide notes?

I'm sorry what was your point with posting that note again? 

That's a great idea. Let's read it together: “I felt that I could no longer live my life as a lie,....

That's the point.

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
Why make that comment when you know I'm just going to complete the sentence? 

“I felt that I could no longer live my life as a lie, living as a boy instead of the girl I knew I could become. I was losing hope in the world and could not see my way out of the wrong body so I decided it was time for my life to end as a whole. I would like to be remembered as a transgender pansexual teenage girl named Hope."

Sounds like transitioning didn't help them but it didn't hurt them (weird that she wanted to come out as trans only after moving to SOUTH CAROLINA of all places). They never expressed regret in transitioning and "living the lie" was continuing to present as male. Don't be daft. 

Also note that in another post you said government shouldn't be making these decisions - parents should. Well this person's parents supported them transitioning and I guess you have a problem with that too. So maybe just say that you don't think someone's wishes should be carried out rather than suggesting you only oppose government  approving them.

I don't know why people are trying to pretend that their vitriol or rejection of trans people is out of care and concern for their well being. It's really not. If it were then I would assume there was some attempt at understanding on their part. Some kind of open minded dialog or deep dive for information you're unfamiliar with (dare I say disagree with) that doesn't involve calling them mentally ill and reiterating how different and dysfunctional they are right off the bat.  Call me crazy. 

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Bones
Not ignoring you but I g2g! I feel like this is the third time I left you hanging but I only come on here sporadically. I'll be on later unless I get distracted :) 
Bones
Debates: 30
Bones
-->
@Danielle
hahahaha no worries - we all have our own things to get on with. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
@thett3
@coal
Fortunately 98% of people have no interest in reversing their surgery.

And the 2% that do will have to live with their decisions just like everybody else who regrets an irreversible decision in life.

I can't tell you just how dangerous it is to society to believe this.
It's an undisputed fact that over 40% of trans people will attempt suicide. To suggest that that number is only 2% but not really 2% because weirdly, they just "live with the regret" is basically turning your back on the thousands of dead trans kids.

Trans people are undeniably split into two groups, ones that can live with the lie that they can live their life in "the right body", who cheerfully comply with whatever survey is needed to continue the machine, and those like your suicide note friend that "cannot accept the lie" regardless of how many surgeries or interventions performed, and can only express that feeling through suicide notes.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Before the recent craze in teens killing themselves over identity issues, the standard practice for society was to make sure teens understood that they are a unique person with flaws and talents, and that being comfortable about that uniqueness means accepting that uniqueness.

Why we as a society have chosen to accept a fantasy postmodern world where that logic no longer applies is far beyond my comprehension.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
More directly, why society believes modern medicine can design "the right body" for teens struggling to accept an identity that makes sense is beyond barbaric in my eyes. It is the most apathetic act of neglect I can imagine...
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
I don't know if you remember the old Robocop movies that spoofed modern society, but the scene where a brain is experimentally placed onto a robotic frame with disastrous consequences hits too close to reality for me to see it as "satire"
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Danielle
Consider that 1 in 20,000 men have no Y chromosome. About 40% of men also lose Y chromosomes as they age. Does that mean they are no longer men? If not then being a man seems to be predicated on things other than chromones. And people would say maleness even more so than being a man is about way more than chromosomes, because maleness is about gendered stereotypes and gendered constructs in a society (not just having a dick) that dictate how people perceive males or experience males or interact with males. There's more to add here re: post modernism but eh it's a lot. 
Men and women as groups have different distributions on hundreds of thousands of traits, there is not just one thing that makes you a man or a woman. I've had this argument with people before but it basically means you can't define anything at all. Basically no humans are anatomically perfect. An example I gave is that I am missing a joint on my pinky toe that most other humans would have, it cant flex upward. If we were drawing an anatomically perfect human the joint would be there. It would obviously be absurd to say I'm not a human because I'm missing one part of the human body. Similarly, a women who is XXY or a man who loses his penis doesn't change their sex, they just vary from the distribution in a more obvious way because on these traits its less of a distribution and more of a binary. It's one of the most simple concepts in the world, even animals understand sex and gender. We've just outsmarted ourselves

With all due respect how do you know this? Do you know anyone that's transitioned? I'm willing to bet that you don't know a single person that's trans and you're cherry picking second-hand stories or minority examples that get amplified online by right-wingers excited  to say "See I told ya they would regret it!" whenever they come across one. I've never met a trans person that did not have long and hard conversations with their family and doctors.  Every single one of them saw a therapist. Even with accepting parents the majority of the world does not approve and trans people have a lot of explaining to do. What is giving you the idea that tough conversations aren't happening with them? Because of celebs posting she/her on twitter? Hollywood isn't real life. 
Anecdotes are worthless but I do know two people from high school who now identify as trans. In both cases they struggled with anxiety and depression before deciding to transition and in neither case is the transition particularly convincing. It's pretty obvious that it hasn't solved their underlying mental health issues and just makes people sad but they're afraid that doing anything but enthusiastically affirming their ideas about gender would hurt them further. Which I understand because I would do the same thing.

This really isn't that complicated at all so I don't feel like I need to do some kind of personal odyssey into the trans community to figure out what's going on. Facts: 

-This has exploded in popularity recently and there has never been a hint in human culture or science previously that 2% of the population needs to change their bodies drastically

-The overwhelming majority (often 100%) of youths visiting "gender clinics" have multiple mental health comorbities clouding their judgement 

-There is a large warm and accepting community that these often very anxious/awkward/isolated youths can join, both in real life and online

-This trend has an unfortunate ideological angle to it. Nobody in a position of authority wants to repeat the mistakes of the past, so they overcorrect and aren't critical enough

-Transition is difficult and rarely as successful as advocates make it out to be (the children are not informed of this)

-The treatments are not reversible, patients will be left with deeper/higher voices the rest of their lives, excess/lack of body hair, poorly developed genitals, poor bone density, patients are not informed of the irreversible nature of the treatments. I know this because trans advocates in favor of this argues that it is in fact reversible! You can just get fake tits if you lose yours after all

-Transition has not been documented to solve the mental health problems ailing these youth

-Peer countries are universally moving against "gender affirming care" with a rapidity almost unheard of in medicine 

Conclusion: The trans identification is not the root of the problem. Giving these kids hormone treatment or surgeries is barbaric 

Explain to me how it's VERY hip to be trans and how people's lives improve overall as the result of claiming to be trans. Are you gonna say that they get a lot of 'likes' on social media as if we're supposed to discount all the vitriol and death threats they get on social media and in real life? Are you gonna say that experiencing kindness and support by some is supposed to override all the hate and shame from others? 90% of people surveyed have said they have no interest in dating a trans person (I'm confident the real number is much higher). I could go on but I don't want to put words in your mouth and make assumptions. So if you don't mind please tell me why it's great to be trans. Explain it to me like I'm 5. 
I think your opinion is influenced by what you may have experienced as a youth. But the world has changed drastically. I can't think of anything LESS cool now than being homophobic. There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that for the overwhelming majority the amount of love and support they receive for "coming out" far outweighs any hate they may get from people they probably didn't like before and now have the power to punish. For many who are awkward, don't fit in, have mental health issues, it's the first time in an extremely long time they've gotten positive attention and the first time they've ever had a close clique of friends. For others, the phenomenon of kids identifying as trans or nonbinary clusters in friend groups, this is very well documented. It's absolutely a social contagion--you even admit in this argument that it's incredibly unlikely that 2% of people are born into the wrong body, but this is the current % of youth who identify as trans is. If they aren't actually in the "wrong" body doing things to that body that can't be undone is a serious issue, especially at a young age before they can give consent to things like sex or drugs.

There is at least one survey with 28,000 trans people that checks in with them every few years. The one I'm thinking of has been going on for over a decade though I'm sure there are others. But you're shifting goal posts here in a really obvious way. Self-reported feelings are the ONLY way you can know someone's feelings (maybe until we get further along with brain mapping). Think about how ridiculous what you're saying is: that we can't tell people are really satisfied because we can't trust them, yet apparently we can trust them when they say they're NOT satisfied. That's a little convenient don't you think? 
In addition to the studies Bone's posted, and the fact that this is not about *children* (the majority of whom desist and must be very thankful they didn't transition) this misses the point. You should expect little different from asking someone "Hey, do you regret that irreversible thing you did as a result of your obsessive fixation?" Not only is it difficult for anyone to admit a mistake was made, if the fixation still exists and importantly if the ideology is wrong and their opinions on what they needed was always just as wrong as the people who want their legs cut off, asking them how they felt about it misses the point entirely.

If I had to develop a study it would focus on overall wellbeing. Does the patient have a broader circle of close friends post transition? Have their other mental health issues improved (if they are there at all big red flag)? How is their physical health, has the transition improved that (spoiler: never) Did the transition/surgery make their day to day life drastically more difficult, for example how painful and difficult is it having to keep a wound open constantly or dealing with migraines from exogenous hormones? For people whose families accept them, has their relationship improved at all post transition? Are they doing better professionally, do they report higher work satisfaction, etc. How are they spending their spare time, are they engaged in fulfilling hobbies now that they can finally live their life the way they want, or are they spending even more time posting online about being trans. Are they actually "satisfied" or is it a case like I made in my initial post where the person is so fixated on being a transsexual that it consumes their entire identity.  

Once again if there are no studies about these people then how are you making objective claims about them? I actually know someone that identified as trans but doesn't anymore. She never expressed interest in transition to me - she was already pretty butch. I have so many questions for her and others for sure. But the fact that she never went through with a transition only bolsters my point that those who do go through with such a life altering process are probably as sure as they can be barring some type of psychological disorder. I acknowledge that a lot of people who claim to be trans are just deeply confused. But those people don't invalidate all the rest. 
How sure were you of ANYTHING when you were 13??? My God. We aren't talking about mature adults here

If a 14 year old consents to sex with a 45 year old teacher, are you good with that? Just expressing their sexuality, right? Teenagers, especially young ones, are famously difficult to manipulate and well informed

What on earth gives you the impression that I would oppose something just because it's new? By that logic we would have no advancement in medicine, science or culture. Mr. Wright are you really going to defy gravity with that airplane? Ms. Bridges are you really going to be the first black girl in an all white school when we don't know the consequences of integration?  Mr. Jenner do you really think we should inject ourselves with smallpox to get rid of smallpox with this so-called "vaccine?" 

I don't accept that because there is little research on something that it should never be tested or researched going forward. That is the antithesis of what I believe. If someone is desperate enough to volunteer to be a pioneer with a risky surgery they believe could save or significantly improve the quality of their life, that's their prerogative after consulting about potential risks. If they're wrong they will have to live with their decision just like everybody else on this planet that regrets an irreversible decision.  

You are comparing man conquering the skies to medical experimentation on mentally ill children. You should reassess this take

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
The standard for gender is either you have the capacity to produce fertilized offspring, or the capacity to fertilize offspring. Aberrations from this such as xxy chromosomes or a disappearing y chromosome are just that. Aberrations. We recognize those people as having most of the characteristics of male or female but don't quite have the full capacity.

By this reality, every person that undergoes "gender surgery" is automatically an aberration, that is to say, the doctors and therapists have CREATED aberrant bodies that can neither bear children nor fertilize.

We still classify postmenopausal people as women, but every person struggles to some degree with menopause because it is an identity change or an aberration from what is expected as a "perfect" female. The definition of female does not change despite the aberrations. Do we need "gender affirming care" for post menopausal women by surgically implanting eggs into her body? I hope this is not the road society is headed toward.
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
--> @Shila
Coal: I underestimated you above.  Your understanding of Foucault, at least, exceeds my expectations. 

Coal: But you are wrong on the policy of so-called "gender affirming care," for reasons I have already said. 
Here is what you said about gender affirming care. Post#6

“Some historical perspective. . . . . . The actual practice of so-called "gender affirming care" is indistinguishable from the war crimes for which we hung Nazis at the end of World War II, after convicting them for crimes against humanity at Nuremberg.   The only thing that is different is the story people tell themselves or hear from fields of so-called "experts" within the so-called field of "psychiatry."  It's worth keeping in mind that Nazis forcibly castrated Jews, first.  That was something they tried before the gas chambers.  “

Here is what the WHO said about gender affirming care. Post#7

What is gender-affirming care?
Gender-affirming care, as defined by the World Health Organization, encompasses a range of social, psychological, behavioral, and medical interventions “designed to support and affirm an individual’s gender identity” when it conflicts with the gender they were assigned at birth. The interventions help transgender people align various aspects of their lives — emotional, interpersonal, and biological — with their gender identity. As noted by the American Psychiatric Association (APA), that identity can run anywhere along a continuum that includes man, woman, a combination of those, neither of those, and fluid.The interventions fall along a continuum as well, from counseling to changes in social expression to medications (such as hormone therapy). For children in particular, the timing of the interventions is based on several factors, including cognitive and physical development as well as parental consent. Surgery, including to reduce a person’s Adam’s Apple, or to align their chest or genitalia with their gender identity,is rarely provided to people under 18.
“The goal is not treatment, but to listen to the child and build understanding — to create an environment of safety in which emotions, questions, and concerns can be explored,” says Rafferty, lead author of a policy statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) on gender-affirming care.

thett3
thett3
-->
@Danielle
Interesting. I'd like to read about these outcomes - can you share?
I missed this. In the UK, the NHS shut down its main “gender clinic” because it found insufficient medical evidence supporting the idea that the puberty blockers and other drugs pushed into the youth were beneficial, and because the focus on gender overshadowed and failed to address other preexisting mental health issues. This came after the clinic, the sole “gender clinic” in the UK received around 5,000 referrals in 2020 after a decade of only a few hundred a year: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11057813/Controversial-Tavistock-gender-clinic-children-shut-damning-report.html

Of the 9,000 children who were “treated” here over 1,000 families are already joining a lawsuit: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tavistock-gender-clinic-to-be-sued-by-1-000-families-lbsw6k8zd

Citing insufficient evidence of any benefit combined with the permanent and potentially dangerous side effects associated with puberty blockers/opposite sex hormones, AND a concern in the sudden rapid rise in “trans” youth Sweden drastically cut back who was allowed to access these, al but banning them: https://segm.org/segm-summary-sweden-prioritizes-therapy-curbs-hormones-for-gender-dysphoric-youth

Finland is still allowing hormone treatment in extreme cases but has curtailed it for the vast majority along with a blanket ban on surgeries: https://genderreport.ca/finland-strict-guidelines-for-treating-gender-dysphoria/

Need I go on?

Basically the medical leadership in these countries saw the exact same red flags that I see and acted on them. If only our own government were so wise 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
government were so wise 

Or less corrupt. Good luck suing the medical industry in America that pays billions of dollars to political lobbyists. The retributions for even thinking about doing that could be dire.
thett3
thett3
-->
@Greyparrot
They’re quite open about what a cash cow it is! The entire thing is so disgusting and shameful 

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@thett3
That's only because the US is so anti-public-healthcare so I don't really get that attack from the right wing.
coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
Good luck suing the medical industry in America that pays billions of dollars to political lobbyists. 

This point is correct, and it's why Douglas Murray's argument that eventually this harm will be addressed in court is mistaken.
coal
coal
-->
@Danielle
I am going to remind you that you have failed to respond to this:

And frankly, your initial "response" to my OP didn't really negate the points either.

If you can keep yourself on topic, we can discuss these issues.  But otherwise, I am generally indifferent to your vitriol and acrimony.  

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
thett3
thett3
So great that this is happening in our country! Conservatives sure are evil for opposing it

cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@thett3
It has been cited as evidence of bigotry against transgenders that “90% of people surveyed would not want to date or marry a transgender person.” Bigotry? No, that’s just the very nature of sexual attraction and preference. Am I “bigoted” against men for not having wanted to date or marry a man? No. It’s just an absurd claim…

33 days later

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
Episodes like this make me feel like the Overton window is coming back to a saner place.