So, when will you ban corporal punishment against children?

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 96
Best.Korea
Debates: 265
Best.Korea
Well, it seems that all studies speak in a single minded unity:
"Corporal punishment harms children".

Its impossible to estimate to what degree is it harmful.

But whats interesting is that almost no country banned this practice. 

The countries that did ban it failed to implement the ban. The people in there still continue with practice.

This is actually very interesting because in this case people literally ignore science and prefer to continue with the method that only causes harm to others.

Its interesting that people only accept scientific study when it suits their interest.

Since most people are self-centred, this is actually expected.

You see, corporal punishment is effective and doesnt cause problems for the parents.
1) If child is annoying, parents just hit a child. Result: child goes crying in a corner and stops being annoying.
2) If child turns into unstable adult, the parents can just deny that they did anything wrong. Since parenting history is usually not provable, no one can say parents did something wrong.
Result: parents justified their position
3) In those rare cases where parents are proven wrong, parents can simply say that they didnt know and that they worked very hard and that they were under a lot of stress at the time.
Result: parents justified their position

So good news for all parents. There is almost no case where parents are at a loss for hitting their children. As long as they dont hit too much, they can always deny or minimize responsibility.
Even if it does mess up a child, no one will be able to prove it. Even if someone is able to prove it, everyone else will ignore the proof.

Really, its a perfect crime. Its a true legacy given to this society by its psychopatic ancestors.

Of course, there are those rare cases where children strike back and attack their parents.
In these cases, parents are still not at a loss. Now they can pretend they are the victims!
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@Best.Korea

63 countries, mostly in Europe and Latin America, have banned the practice. School corporal punishment, of students by teachers or school administrators, such as caning or paddling, has been banned in many countries, including Canada, Kenya, South Africa, India, New Zealand and all of Europe.

What country has the highest rate of corporal punishment?
The MENA region has some of the highest levels of corporal punishment in the world. Surveys have found that more than 90 percent of children suffer physical punishment at least once a month in countries like Egypt, Morocco, and Tunisia, while the lowest rate – 50 percent – was in Qatar

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Shila
63 out of 190 have banned, yes.

So how much, 30%?
RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
-->
@Best.Korea
What is North Korea's position on corporal punishment? 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Best.Korea
Detainees in North Korea are forced into gruelling manual labour and beaten so severely it may be a form of torture, the UN has said, as it warned that Covid-19 had exacerbated human rights concerns in the notoriously oppressive country.

In a report to be presented at the UN general assembly in September, the UN secretary general, António Guterres, said fresh accounts given to the UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR) had added to “a growing body of information confirming consistent patterns of human rights violations”.

They included a woman who said she was hit so hard with firewood that “the skin on my face tore open, my chin became dislocated and four of my teeth were knocked out”. Another described how she and her fellow inmates were forced into agricultural work: “[I] dragged the cart that cows normally pull,” she told the OHCHR.

In February the UN high commissioner for human rights, Michelle Bachelet, said torture and forced labour were rife in North Korea’s detention centres, and amounted to possible crimes against humanity.

The new report, including accounts from 2010 until 2019, focuses again on the “systematic and widespread” use of beatings and other disproportionately harsh punishments meted out to detainees, as well as forced labour.

One former detainee said she was beaten with a stick, chair and leather belt by officers from the security ministry, adding: “Some detainees were asked to place their heads on the bars [of the cell] and the guards would beat us with a club … we were just like punching bags to them.”

“The severity of beatings described may constitute torture, which is prohibited without exception under international law,” the report noted.

Mistreatment documented “may also constitute torture or other forms of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment”, it added, including severe forms of physical punishment for minor infractions.

One person said that, after a detainee had been found to be snoring at night, all 12 cellmates were ordered to do 1,000 squats. “I was young so it was OK, but those who were older fainted on the spot,” they said.

The use of stress positions was also detailed, with one man saying: “In the fixed position, you had to be on your knees with the rest of your body off the ground, with your hands extended forward; you had to stay like that for hours. If you moved, they made you stick your hands out and hit them with a cane.”
With the pandemic restrictions having cut off the “lifeline” of essential humanitarian supplies, the UN said it also feared the food situation for detainees – and for the population as a whole – had worsened. The country has seen a steep decline in trade with China during the pandemic, which, along with a series of natural disasters and the impact of international sanctions, has triggered an economic crisis.

Accounts given to the OHCHR indicated the food received was inadequate and poor quality. Two escapers separately stated that they had been aware of deaths as a result of malnutrition. “We were fed only corn meal, about 100 grams three times a day,” said one former inmate.

Many accounts centre on North Korea’s continued reliance on forced labour, including from conscripted soldiers, members of the general population, and children. Detainees described their work to OHCHR, ranging from making artificial eyelashes to hard manual labour such as farming, logging and construction.

A policeman stops a taxi for disinfection near Wonsan. Covid had worsened human rights concerns in North Korea, the UN report says. Photograph: Kim Won Jin/AFP/GettyThose who had escaped said that if they did not meet their quotas they were punished with beatings, cuts to their already meagre food rations, and spells in solitary confinement.
One worker described how “two to three guards watch over you while armed with automatic guns”.

Most of the testimonies come from former detainees of North Korea’s prisons, pre-trial holding centres or labour camps. But the report also says escapers spoke of people they knew who had been sent to political prison camps for “disloyalty”, such as attempting to go to South Korea, religious activity or criticism of the state.

North Korea denies the existence of the camps, but the UN noted: “The threat of being sent to a political prison camp (kwanliso) permeates all aspects of civil and political life.”

The OHCHR said recent accounts indicated that crackdowns had been intensified against anyone found to be involved with foreign media, particularly films, television dramas and music from South Korea.

“Although cellphones are becoming increasingly prevalent, using cellphones to call abroad is also monitored with harsh sentences imposed on those caught, such as imprisonment of up to two years in a kyohwaso [prison],” the report said.

In July, young North Koreans were warned by the official newspaper of the ruling party to adhere to the country’s “superior” standard language – the dialect from around Pyongyang – and follow “traditional lifestyles” as part of efforts by Kim Jong-un’s regime to stamp out cultural influences from South Korea.
The OHCHR said it had invited the North Korean government to contribute to the report but that at the time of writing no response had been received.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
@RAtionalmanmad

I think I need to block you since you blocked me. It seems fair. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@Best.Korea
--> @Shila
63 out of 190 have banned, yes. 

So how much, 30%?
Most of the advanced countries have banned corporal punishment of children. 

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Shila
USA didnt. So thats 330 million people.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I don't really want to hear what a child rapist thinks about corporal punishment of children.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
The formal ban of corporal punishment is usually not enforced in any way. So even those that did ban it didnt ban it.

Also, its literally impossible to enforce. A child subjected to corporal punishment at age 2 is most likely not to even remember. So nobody knows.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Weak. You did not even reply.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@coal
This is your area of specialty 
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@ILikePie5
I might weigh in.  I just like this topic because of how beautifully the so-called "scientific literature" illustrates how sloppy, incompetent and ham-fistedly idiotic most "researchers" are when "investigating" this subject.

The state of the literature is a catastrophe.  Gershoff is a fraud.  She is utterly stupid.  Her methods are inane.  Her results are unreliable. 

And anyone who knows anything about anything could readily ascertain that from a casual review of any of the methods section of any of her fake science bullshit.

coal
coal
-->
@Best.Korea
I assume that, being Korean, your parents whipped or spanked you to the extent you did not bring home A's when you were in school.  Or, if you are in school now, I assume you are still whipped or spanked by your parents whenever you do not bring home A's.

This is because your parents want the best for you.  If your parents did not care, they would let you fail.  By imposing consequences, they affirm the extent to which they want you to succeed.

I have enough Korean friends to know how this goes.  You fail at school, you get spanked.  I know kids for whom that continued well into college.  

Wanna know how they turned out?  

They're engineers, doctors and one is an accountant now. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@coal
Do you think that Best.Korea is Korean?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
There is corporal punishment.

And then there is the enforcement of parental authority.

And then there is deliberate abuse for no good reason.

The anti-smacking lobby adds two and two together and always comes up with five. Which may or may not result in long term benefit to the individual, the family or to the wider society.

Though it is unlikely that a ban would prohibit the actions of those who would deliberately abuse a child for no good reason.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
In this post:

2 users have directly attempted to justify corporal punishment.

2 users hinted their opinions, but didnt say it directly. Not that they needed to.

Notice that I will not be responding to "arguments" that speak in favor of beating children. I will simply use them to show the popular opinion.

This society harms children in many ways. Corporal punishment is actually low harming when compared to harm from cars, meat, religion, circumcision, pollution, junk food...ect. Most people justify these things because they are psychopaths. It doesnt come as a surprise to anyone who studied their psychopatic ancestors. In fact, this result is expected.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Best.Korea

--> @Shila
USA didnt. So thats 330 million people.

Regulation of corporal punishment in public and private schools is done at the state level. There is no federal policy regarding corporal punishment in schools.[35] In 1977, the Supreme Court of the United States found that the Eighth Amendment clause prohibiting "cruel and unusual punishments" did not apply to school students, and that teachers could punish children without parental permission.[34]
The ban of corporal punishment use even at schools has still yet to be achieved in the USA. In 2022 not all 50 states made the practice unlawful. Since the 1970s, 31 states and the District of Columbia have banned corporal punishment in public schools, though in some of these there is no explicit prohibition. Corporal punishment is also unlawful in private schools in Iowa and New Jersey. In the remaining 19 U.S. states there was not any ban, and corporal punishment is lawful in both public and private schools.

Can a parent go to jail for hitting a child?
Repeatedly using force against you or another child for discipline or correction could amount to domestic violence. If the police charge them, they may be convicted of the crime if they are found guilty.

Uragirimono
Debates: 1
Uragirimono
-->
@Best.Korea
I think children are the most universally oppressed people on the planet. 
The pro-corporeal replies here have practically proven that convenience/comfort over adults is always valued over what actually helps a child grow into a healthy, functioning adult. 

I also think there's a bit of Stockholm Syndrome going on with most adults, because if we honestly admitted how much terrible stuff we do to kids, we'd have to admit how much terrible stuff was done to us and address the scars that were left. Most adults have no desire to do that. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@Uragirimono
--> @Best.Korea
I think children are the most universally oppressed people on the planet. 
The pro-corporeal replies here have practically proven that convenience/comfort over adults is always valued over what actually helps a child grow into a healthy, functioning adult. 

I also think there's a bit of Stockholm Syndrome going on with most adults, because if we honestly admitted how much terrible stuff we do to kids, we'd have to admit how much terrible stuff was done to us and address the scars that were left. Most adults have no desire to do that. 
You got it so right.

coal
coal
-->
@Best.Korea
so anyone who disagrees with you is a psychopath? 
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@Best.Korea
Corporal punishment has one immediate and long-term goal: behavioral control.

A child who misbehaves and is allowed to misbehave with impunity is not only a problem today but will probably escalate to further kinds of misbehavior in the future.
I'm sure there are a few magically gifted parents who can effectively discipline very young children without resorting to corporal punishment, but they are not the average parent. There's no point looking to what a minority of parents are capable of as something that all parents should (try and subsequently fail to) do while depriving them of options within their grasp.

Suppose that anyone who was disciplined retains some amount of trauma from the experience as an adult. Even if this is true, it can be a lesser evil if it prevented them from going down a path of lawlessness that will screw up their adult lives even worse. For most people said trauma is subtle and not noticeable most of the time, whereas, say, the trauma of going to prison and then struggling to find work with a criminal record while simultaneously being stigmatized by all of society is anything but subtle.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@coal
"so anyone who disagrees with you is a psychopath"

When someone is hitting children or justifying it, yes.
coal
coal
-->
@Best.Korea
I'm guessing your parents still spank/whip/discipline you?
Shila
Shila
-->
@Best.Korea
Now you look closer to a psychopath with your new picture.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Shila
Thank you.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@coal
I assume that, being Korean, your parents whipped or spanked you to the extent you did not bring home A's when you were in school.  Or, if you are in school now, I assume you are still whipped or spanked by your parents whenever you do not bring home A's.

This is because your parents want the best for you.
Or they're extending a tradition of operant conditioning to which they themselves were subjected.

If your parents did not care, they would let you fail. 
They don't have to beat a child to show that they care.

By imposing consequences, they affirm the extent to which they want you to succeed.
If they want to affirm the extent to which they want you to succeed, they can take a more active role in your education. And it's "belt-free."

Wanna know how they turned out?  

They're engineers, doctors and one is an accountant now. 
My older siblings and I were spanked; my younger siblings were spared the rod (thanks to my, for those of you who remember, Spartacus -like rebellion.) We ALL do pretty well for ourselves. So, what's your point?

I would presume that one who would equate getting beaten as a child to having prospects of becoming an engineer, doctor or accountant as having a few marbles loose, yes.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@coal
"I'm guessing your parents still spank/whip/discipline you?"

I dont see how that helps your case, but then again I am not a psychopath and I dont understand psychopaths like you.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Best.Korea
--> @coal
"I'm guessing your parents still spank/whip/discipline you?"

I dont see how that helps your case, but then again I am not a psychopath and I dont understand psychopaths like you.
So why did you pick a picture of a psychopath to replace your Korean image?

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Shila
First I had picture of Kim Jong Il.

Then Kim Jong Un.

Then Kim Yo Jong. Do people even know who she is?

Now its Putin time.

To say it simply, I use whatever photo I like and I think that Putin looks good in this photo.

It may upset some people, but thats the sacrifice I am willing to make.