Author: Public-Choice

Total: 147
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Public-Choice
Such is your valid opinion.

Which like my valid opinion might or might not be correct.

So, is the worship of the Sun a cult or a religion?
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Public-Choice
Quite good really. 

Did you know the latin word cultis is the root word for worship?

I am not sure that I agree that the Catholic Church is a cult.  

I think that Christianity began as a new sect. It began within the framework of Judaism and expanded to the gentiles. 

I also think that modern Judaism began after Christianity within the framework of Judaism but remained nationalist. 

Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, the Coptic Church, Protestantism and recently the Charismatic Churches have become branches of the church. 

Denominationalism is probably more a product of protestantism and Charismatics than the other branches. Although all of the other branches have several distinct churches / denominations within their branch. 

Typically, traditional Christianity has centred around the scriptures, the creeds and to a certain extent tradition.  They have observed Sunday as the Lord's Day of worship. And practiced at least Communion and baptism and a form of church discipline. Within the mainline tradition - an agreement that the Trinity is the Christian God from very early on with the equally important doctrine of Jesus, fully God and fully Man.

Hence, most Christian churches, despite their differences fell within this broad definition.  Others that rejected Jesus' deity or the Trinity, the creeds, sacraments, and the Sunday to worship were considered outside the traditional breath of the church.  JWs, Mormons, SDA, Salvation Army, Unitarians, and others fell outside the traditional walls of Christianity. The others were close enough to Christianity to be considered as such by the world, but for the church, they were and many are still considered cults. Cults meaning - outside the mainstream church. 

Interestingly, many churches within the mainstream church, such as many parts of the Episcopalian, the Uniting Churches in Australia would now not be so narrow on God as Trinity and Jesus being God.   Yet currently their creeds and basis of union maintain that the Trinity is God.  

Others like the SDA and the Salvation Army, the latter not practicing the sacraments and the former worshiping on the Jewish Sabbath were abnormalities. SDA - has in many ways be accepted because they do accept the Trinity and Jesus as God. As do the Salvation Army.  

cult has also taken on another picture in our community - more towards doom day and isolating people from families and giving up wealth. they often have a very charismatic leader - and very strict rules to obey.  

I think the Catholic church - doesn't really fit within that framework.
Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
It appears likeThings called , Fake false religious groups existed before. 
The first real true religious group existed.

Is that fair to assume.?

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Which was that Deb.

I will plump for the Sun.

The most obvious big fella in the sky.

Active during the day and goes to bed in the evening.

Second in command is the Moon, out shone during the day by big daddy but keeps watch in the evening.

Often peeping from behind something.

A curtain perhaps.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@zedvictor4
What about.   Amun -Ra.

Yeah no but. 
In the bible , god references the moon as a " light in the sky " for the dark time. 
Sooooo ,  it appears that God thought the moon actually light up. 
He done gone fort the moon was a light source. 
Sillly god.  

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
@zedvictor4
What about.   Amun -Ra. [?]

Well I believe you hit the post with that there Deb. You may have even scored a outright goal? See what you think.

Amun (also Amon, Ammon, Amen, Amun-Ra) is the ancient Egyptian god of the sun and air.

Interesting isn't it that all four gospels end with the word or name - Amen.
This is not all, Deb.  Pick a bible , any bible, and  you can read that from Revelation we find this:

“And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, ‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God:
“To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Origin of the creation of God, says this:

To take this further, in the gnostic gospels we can read of an incident in which Jesus orders his disciples to:

"answer Amen to Me" and quoting the gnostic gospels  further  “he began to intone a mystical chant", which reads in part;

“To the universe belongs to the dancer.’ – Amen".
"He who does not dance does not know what happens’ – Amen".
"Now you follow my dance’. – Amen"
" For you could by no means have understood what you suffer’. – Amen".

Which reminds us of this biblical verse:  “And the woman shall say, Amen, Amen”. Numbers 5: 22.KJV

Then there are that many Egyptian Pharaohs who names began or ended with Amen

And who can forget Historian Josephus? Not to  upset the devout Christian we hadn't better leave out what he had to say concerning "an Egyptian".

"There was an Egyptian false prophet that did the Jews more mischief than the former; for he was a cheat, and pretended to be a prophet also, and got together thirty thousand men that were deluded by him; these he led round about from the wilderness to the mount which was called the Mount of Olives".[.........]The Egyptian himself escaped out of the fight, but did not appear any more. And again the robbers stirred up the people to make war with the Romans, and said they ought not to obey them at all; and when any persons would not comply with them, they set fire to their villages, and plundered them". Josephus Jewish Wars.

Wasn't Jesus' and the holy family told to flee to Egypt, Deb? Yes here we are>

Matthew 2:13 New International Version

The Escape to Egypt
13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.”

The story of Jesus is about as clear as mud, isn't it, Deb?

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
@Deb-8-a-bull
GOD was perhaps a flat earther.

And it is often proposed that ancient Egyptians were from outer space.

It's the hat thing.

And pictures of ancient Egyptians look nothing like modern day Egyptians.

Though that might be to do with when and who drew the pictures.

Perhaps, therefore, maybe lighter skinned peeps are descended from ancient Egyptian type space-persons.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Never a passage of basic normal stuff happening followed by another passage of like basic easy to explain  normal stuff. 

The few times i have been to church , it blew my mind when all of a sudden,  and what appeared to me to be , " out of the blue " the whole church said Amen .
It then happened again. 

I didn't bother finding out when to say ( Amen ) in the required spots. 
I was thinking after you finish a prayer you say , ( Amen ) 
Sooooooo
The second time at church i tried so hard to see if i could somehow say Amen at the time everyone says Amen. 
But i failed.  
The whole church together said amen and i fucking missed it  again. 
Again it blew my mind. 
But I just couldn't  crack it. 
I had to settle for . When I hear ( amen ) i say it a split second after everyone. 

Whilst Everyone is translating scriptures and other skull buggery   ,  I'm trying my hardest to know when a collective,  AMEN is about to occur.   

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
All this will be great insight for when the knew batch of gods start arriving. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
A true god would have a few Pop-up book pages. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
All this will be great insight for when the knew batch of gods start arriving. 

What is the - great insight, Deb?

I'm trying my hardest to know when a collective,  AMEN is about to occur.   

How about never saying it at all, Deb.
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@Athias
In Romans 14:5 it says we are to he fully convinced in our own minds which day we worship on. Paul then continues by saying whatever day we choose to make holy for God, that day is fine.

The translation you chose KJV makes it even clearer for Colossians:
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days
So we have complete freedom fo choose if we want to celebrate holidays or sabbath days. 

K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
The word for Peter and for rock in the original Aramaic is one and the same
Interestingly the name Pierre in French is the same. I assume it came over from the Greek "petra."
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
The Sabbath this and the Sabbath 
And 
Palm Sunday. 

Not Palm sabbath 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@K_Michael
I assume it came over from the Greek "petra."

Indeed, as when one is said to be petrified, frozen in their track's statue like, turned to stone.
Interesting that the ancients referred to almost anything that came from the ground as stone .  Think on that for a while,K_Michael.

petrified
/ˈpɛtrɪfʌɪd/
adjective
  • 1.so frightened that one is unable to move; terrified: 

sadolite
sadolite
Political parties and ideologies are cults to by definition.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Stephen
Interesting that the ancients referred to almost anything that came from the ground as stone .  Think on that for a while,K_Michael.
Petroleum, saltpeter, a rock-hard Peter

checks out to me.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@K_Michael

Indeed, as when one is said to be petrified, frozen in their track's statue like, turned to stone.
petrified
/ˈpɛtrɪfʌɪd/adjective
  • 1.so frightened that one is unable to move; terrified: 
Does a "Pillar of Salt", ring any bells?"

K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Stephen
Ah, yes! One of the oddest divine murders of the Old Testament. What's your point, that Lot's wife "came from the ground"?
Salt comes from the ocean as well, if I recall.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Just had a look.

And for sure, cult is widely defined.

So, anything can be cultish.

Overuse of a mirror renders one a self-cult.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@Public-Choice
From the Catholic perspective, the rest of Christianity could be a cult for rejecting the oldest form of it... Of course, from the Jewish perspective, every other form of Abrahamic faith could be viewed as a cult...

Granted, Scientology probably proclaims everyone who doesn't worships aliens to be cult members.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
For some reason i feel the catholics are the first. 
The OG Christians if you will.

Instead of thinking of these groups as cults. 
I like to think of a nice piece of 4×4 
Then over time , splinters appearing.  
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Oh crap , i said ( SPLINTER )  out load. 
My bad. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
When you think about ya average cult leader / the pope doesn't fit the bill. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Popes appear to be good " normal " like people. 

Actually..
I'm going to let that simmer before coming to a conclusion on that. 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
For sure.

My advice to Roman Catholics is:

Fashioning sex toys out of soft wood is fraught with dangers.

You will need to choose a close-grained hardwood and apply plenty of wax.

Synthetic models are available but don't have the same eco-credentials as wood and beeswax.

This is based upon the assumption, that since the outlawing of altar boy's there will be a greater demand for personal stimulation.

A nice length of 4 x 4 is perfect for fencing and some construction applications.

Or did you mean a Mitsubishi.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@K_Michael

petrified
/ˈpɛtrɪfʌɪd/adjective
  • 1.so frightened that one is unable to move; terrified: 

Petroleum, saltpeter, a rock-hard Peter checks out to me.

Does a "Pillar of Salt", ring any bells?"
Ah, yes! One of the oddest divine murders of the Old Testament. What's your point, that Lot's wife "came from the ground"?

Be for me to be accused of leading anyone "astray" but it is not so odd when we consider what Jesus is alleged to have said: here>  Matthew 5:13.
 So here then we see that Jesus likens his disciples to something that is held as valued and precious or in high esteem.  And keep in mind lots "wife" is never named in Old Testament scripture. 

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Barney
From the Catholic perspective, the rest of Christianity could be a cult for rejecting the oldest form of it...

I'm sure the Eastern Orthodox would disagree. After all, the church started in Jerusalem, and then Antioch, before it ever got to Rome.

But I suppose they also take the view that there is no salvation outside of the church - with their own church being the only true church. 

Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@Barney
From the Catholic perspective, the rest of Christianity could be a cult for rejecting the oldest form of it
Well if that were the case, then the oldest written theological statements wouldn't be disagreeing with them.

But yet we have the oldest theological statements disagreeing with some of their foundational beliefs. So clearly they aren't orthodox, regardless of their perspective.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
For some reason i feel the catholics are the first. 
The OG Christians if you will.
Well, the problem lies in the fact that the Antioch Church, Coptic Orthodox church, and Orthodox denomination in general was also started by the Apostles.

So the catholics claiming they are the "one true church" because of apostolic succession is really spurious since a couple other churches were also started by the Apostles and they disagree on some foundational doctrines.

This is why it is important, as Irenaeus writes, that we consult the Scriptures and writings of the Apostles themselves. Because they founded the churches, and therefore they hold the true tradition.