Midterm Thread

Author: SirAnonymous

Total: 210
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
The midterms are today. Go vote, then come here and post all your darkest fears, then watch the results come in, then cry hysterically about America's future. Ready? Here we go!
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@SirAnonymous
Lol. I voted early in my district. I'm just gonna sit back and watch the fireworks.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
My biggest fear is that someone will be elected.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Gonna send Beta O’ Cuck packing today in Texas
thett3
thett3
thett3
thett3
Republicans have flipped Guam’s non voting House of Representatives delegate: https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1590054732953169920?s=21&t=T1tibbg54CCcvSAB-DrnxQ
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@thett3
I forgot they even had delegates. Is that a positive sign for Republicans, or is the culture of the mainland too different for that to be a comparison?
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@ILikePie5
Texas Gubernatorial is probably the most important of the gubernatorials today. Florida is second.
thett3
thett3
-->
@Mharman
I don’t know enough to say but it certainly isn’t a bad sign. Apparently Dems have held this seat since 1990 so I would say it’s a good sign but we shall see very soon
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@thett3
Dems have held this seat since 1990
Just looked up more information. It shows a significant gain for Republicans in Guam.

Consider 2020, when two Demeocrats ran in the general election for Guam's at-large seat (COVID caused the cancelation of the primaries). This is what happened then: 

1. Michael F.Q. San Nicolas (D) ~  47%
2. Robert Underwood (D) ~ 33%
3. William Castro (R) ~ 21%

San Nicholas would go on to beat the other Democrat in a run-off in 2020:

1. Michael F.Q. San Nicolas (D) ~  60%
2. Robert Underwood (D) ~ 40%

Just two years later, we get this:

James Moylan (R) ~ 52%
Judith Won (D) ~ 47%

After looking into the politics of Guam, I don't see a way any of this could indicate anything for the mainland elections, but it is interesting.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
I think someone will be elected
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@thett3
Oh what a brilliant post.. Is this the kind of content you were talking about? You must have worked so hard cutting and pasting that YouTube clip.

What a display of the mastery of political commentary!

You really are a better writer than the Washington Post. Lol.
thett3
thett3
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
I’m sure that thanks to my post at least a few users now know that Republicans flipped Guam’s House of Representatives delegate when they otherwise wouldn’t have known this information. I would consider it a positive contribution to the thread. Can’t say the same about your posts so far unfortunately….
That2User
Debates: 4
That2User
-->
@thett3
Republicans have flipped Guam’s non voting House of Representatives delegate: https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1590054732953169920?s=21&t=T1tibbg54CCcvSAB-DrnxQ
Didn't know Guam had a delegate, the US Territory system is stupid and they should have voting rights, make them states
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Oh what a brilliant post.. Is this the kind of content you were talking about? You must have worked so hard cutting and pasting that YouTube clip.
Not every post needs to be an essay to be intellectually stimulating. I for one, enjoyed looking onto the politics of Guam.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@thett3
I was referring to your YouTube post of the “final countdown” So so brilliant. 

What would this site do without your substantive posts?
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
You don't like that he posted a song? Seriously? It's okay to have fun sometimes.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
I was referring to your YouTube post of the “final countdown” So so brilliant. 
I was under the impression you were referring to both posts, but fair enough. It doesn't take a lot of effort to post a YouTube link.

However, consider the following:
1. It was not inflammatory in any way
2. It was fun
3. It was immediately followed by a post that made a positive contribution
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Not that Thett needs me to defend him, of course. You're just being annoying, that's all. So please say something interesting or leave.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Mharman
It was immediately followed by a post that made a positive contribution 
Yes, it was so important to learn what the non voting Representative from Guam flipped to Republican. That seat is such a bellwether for national politics 

say something interesting or leave.
Is that what is interesting to you, a rock video?

This is why you should forget about college.

Mharman
Mharman
Found this on CNN's live updates

3 Tulsa poll workers could face charges after denying city council ballots to voters, sheriff says
From CNN's Christina Maxouris

At least three poll workers in Tulsa County’s Precinct 77 were relieved of their duties Tuesday after authorities received reports that they were not handing out city council ballots to certain voters, Tulsa County Sheriff Vic Regalado said in a news conference.  

The Oklahoma county sheriff said he received video with allegations that poll workers were not giving the city council ballot to Republican voters on Tuesday morning and that “they were only being given to Democrats, Independents and Libertarians.” 

The Tulsa County Election Board received a report about the incident at roughly 7:45 a.m. local time, contacted poll workers to instruct them they were supposed to give city council ballots along with the state ballots to voters and “they began handing out the city council ballots ... at 8 a.m.,” said Gwen Freeman, the election board secretary. The poll workers were relieved of their duties and new poll workers were assigned, Freeman said. A total of about 30 to 40 people who voted in the morning were impacted, Freeman said.

“We sincerely hope this does not have any significant effect on the outcome of this election,” Freeman said. “But if it’s a number of ballots that could potentially affect the outcome of the election, then the appropriate remedy would be for the affected candidate to file an irregularity by 5 p.m. on Friday.” 

Detectives interviewed the poll workers at the precinct and confirmed the city council ballots were only being handed out to Democrat and Independent voters Tuesday morning, the sheriff said. The voters who were denied a city council ballot include 19 Republicans, seven Democrats, four Independents and one Libertarian, Freeman said. Poll workers cannot determine a voter's party affiliation unless they ask, "which is the irregularity and where the problem exists.

And that is what happened," the sheriff said.

The poll workers relieved of their duties included one Republican and two Democrats, among them the polling judge who was in charge of giving other poll workers instructions, Regalado added. 

One of the poll workers said they were aware of the mistake but said they were following the orders of the polling judge who also confirmed the mistake, the sheriff said. But poll workers all receive training and are required to sign paperwork confirming they understand the rules of the voting process, Regalado said. 

“The information that we have received does indicate that there [were] voter irregularities, we … are in the process of putting together this investigation to hand to the district attorney’s office for consideration of charges,” the sheriff said. Those charges could potentially be impeding the voting process and/or intentionally impeding the voting process by fraudulent measures, he said. “That will be up to the district attorney to decide which charges are going to be filed, if any at all.” 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found a related post on Twitter from a local news station about the issue as well. If you're voting tonight, be sure to report anything suspicious you see any poll workers doing.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@SirAnonymous
You don't like that he posted a song? Seriously? It's okay to have fun sometimes.
Maybe you missed it. Last week this bozo was complaining that my posts weren’t serious and I didn’t put enough effort into them. 

Do you see the irony genius?

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Mharman
be sure to report anything suspicious you see any poll workers doing.
Not suspicious. It was just a mistake. Some Democrats were also denied those same ballots. Don’t be such a conspiracy theory looney 

Freeman stated that among the voters impacted there were:

19 Republicans,
7 Democrats,
4 Independents,
1 Libertarian

SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
He was talking about threads, not individual posts. So no, I don't.
thett3
thett3
Polls closed in Indiana and Kentucky. IT BEGINS!! 
thett3
thett3
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Maybe you missed it. Last week this bozo was complaining that my posts weren’t serious and I didn’t put enough effort into them. 

Do you see the irony genius?
My last post in that thread was conceding that maybe RationalMadman was right and I was being a bit of a drama queen. I do think your threads tend to be vitriolic and low information but if I could take back the thread I made last week I would. There’s no reason to clutter the forum up even more with drama
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@SirAnonymous
He was talking about threads, not individual posts. So no, I don't.
Oh ya that’s a huge distinction.  The thread should be intellectually stimulating but the posts that make up the thread can be simple. That could definitely make sense.

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Yes, it was so important to learn what the non voting Representative from Guam flipped to Republican. That seat is such a bellwether for national politics 
As I said in Post #10,  "After looking into the politics of Guam, I don't see a way any of this could indicate anything for the mainland elections, but it is interesting." It may not affect us, but it affects people living in Guam. Also, its lack of effects on us doesn't automatically make it a boring topic. One more thing: Consider the fact that no votes have been reported yet. Might as well find some semi-relevant stuff to discuss while we're waiting.

Is that what is interesting to you, a rock video?
Music is an interesting subject in its own right. However, you fail to realize I wasn't talking about "The Final Countdown" when I said this. I was talking about politics in Guam.

This is why you should forget about college.
Well a big 'ol "fuck you" to music majors, I guess. Anyway, this is Exhibit B of why no one here respects you.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@thett3
 your threads tend to be vitriolic
That’s like saying the news is vitriolic. Sorry if calling people who lie liars but it is necessary and appropriate.

thett3
thett3
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
The 24 hour news cycle is infamously vitriolic actually, and has done a lot of damage