Is this the "Democracy" we saved?

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 62
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot

Mitch McConnel is one of the most despised people in the Senate, yet is set to repeat as Senate leader. 

Why?
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Greyparrot
He may be the most hated person in the Senate, but he is also the smartest. He's been running rings around Schumer and (previously) Reid. He's excellent at obstructing the Democratic agenda, and he was instrumental in implementing the Republican agenda during Trump's term. There are a lot of valid criticisms that can be leveled at him, but ineffective is not one of them. Also, his opponent was Rick Scott, who was in charge of making sure the Republicans took the Senate. We all know how that went.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
That's the first time I've ever seen Greyparrot suggest that Democracy was a value worth saving. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
This version aint worth saving, the one where general elections give the illusion of choice while the real deals are done with ultra rich lobbies and what is essentially a uniparty.

You see where that kind of Democracy landed Ukraine. We will be soon to follow.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@SirAnonymous
He may be the most hated person in the Senate, but he is also the smartest. He's been running rings around Schumer and (previously) Reid. He's excellent at obstructing the Democratic agenda, and he was instrumental in implementing the Republican agenda during Trump's term. There are a lot of valid criticisms that can be leveled at him, but ineffective is not one of them. Also, his opponent was Rick Scott, who was in charge of making sure the Republicans took the Senate. We all know how that went.
Do you hate Mitch McConnell more or Donald Trump? I’m curious 
oromagi
oromagi
This version aint worth saving, the one where general elections give the illusion of choice while the real deals are done with ultra rich lobbies and what is essentially a uniparty.
  • But you're ok with Russian because... there no illusion of choice or uniparty there?  
You see where that kind of Democracy landed Ukraine. We will be soon to follow.
  • Yeah, a 21st century Battle of Marathon- a superpower ten times their size invaded and the people didn't back down, didn't flee, they beat back invaders who had more of everything except democracy.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
  • Yeah, a 21st century Battle of Marathon- a superpower ten times their size invaded and the people didn't back down, didn't flee, they beat back invaders who had more of everything except democracy.
I'm sure the Western Ukrainians are all so happy to freeze to death over the oligarch's conquest of the Donbas. Most of them clearly did not vote for that, to freeze to death this winter over control of the ethnically Russian Donbas.

But Americans, I can believe they would willingly vote for more recession for another nation's conquests. They are that stupid.
Best.Korea
Debates: 280
Best.Korea
-->
@oromagi
"they beat back invaders who had more of everything except democracy."

Yeah, and most advanced US technology supplied to them in over 60 billion dollars worth of weapons and countless information provided.

But USA is running out of ammo. 

There is also a rumor that North Korea sent millions of artillery shells to Russia and they are about to be used. Of course, that could be just US lying again.

Meanwhile, US is unable to send more than 100k shells to Ukraine. 

We will see what happens next.

Although I dont have much hope for Ukrainians. If they win, they get nuked.

They dont have enough brain power to realize that its not in their interest to step on Russian territory.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I'm surprised people are still even voting it doesn't matter who's running it doesn't matter who you vote for some assholes going to get the job. I did not for the first time since I've turned 18 participate in the vote this past week ( or two). Even on the local level we voted a levy down last time and now every person who works in city limits pays a two dollar fee per week. So they get what the want no matter what. Women voting pro- life and fucking over other women, I'm done. 
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@ILikePie5
Do you hate Mitch McConnell more or Donald Trump? I’m curious 
As a Christian, I believe it is my duty to love everyone, although I confess that politicians make that difficult. More to the point, I think Trump is worse than McConnell. I have a lot of disagreements with McConnell, but I agree with him more than I agree with Trump. I also have more respect for McConnell. Not because of his personality (I have no idea what his personality is like), or because of his integrity (I doubt he has any), but because of how good he is at his job. I've read a lot of history about the US government. I think McConnell will be remembered as one of the most effective Congressional leaders.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
but because of how good he is at his job.
I don't care about his job. His job is to stay in power.

What has he done to help you?
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@oromagi
They also had the entire first world on their side, giving them weapons and money while simultaneously sanctioning the invader. Said sanctioning countries had a combined economy well over ten times Russia’s. Small details glossed over there, but I’m sure Our Democracy™ helped!
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
The CIA funded Azov Nazis faster than they armed the Taliban!
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
The CIA funded Azov Nazis faster than they armed the Taliban!
When does the “American Taliban” get crates of money and weapons? ;(

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@SirAnonymous
As a Christian, I believe it is my duty to love everyone, although I confess that politicians make that difficult. More to the point, I think Trump is worse than McConnell. I have a lot of disagreements with McConnell, but I agree with him more than I agree with Trump. I also have more respect for McConnell. Not because of his personality (I have no idea what his personality is like), or because of his integrity (I doubt he has any), but because of how good he is at his job. I've read a lot of history about the US government. I think McConnell will be remembered as one of the most effective Congressional leaders.
Your opinion. But I think it just reflects what you believe in, and I doubt I could convince you with the contrary
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@bmdrocks21
Yeah, a 21st century Battle of Marathon- a superpower ten times their size invaded and the people didn't back down, didn't flee, they beat back invaders who had more of everything except democracy.

They also had the entire first world on their side, giving them weapons and money while simultaneously sanctioning the invader. Said sanctioning countries had a combined economy well over ten times Russia’s. Small details glossed over there, but I’m sure Our Democracy™ helped!
  • It is not gloss to say that "the Ukrainians didn't back down, didn't flee, they beat back invaders who had more of everything except democracy."  Even as the Russian Army flees back to their borders leaving their unburied comrades behind they still have and always have had more more tanks, missiles, jets, helicopters, training, equipment, food than the army they are running from.  Every strategian and historian expected Kyiv to fall in under a week and the fact that it didn't is due to the fact that an enormous portion of the civilian population just stayed in place, took the wrath and rape of Russia and persisted.   Let's recall that this time last year, most of the first world was telling Biden that Russia was just posturing and would never destablize Europe with a full scale invasion.  When Putin attacked, Ukrainians had very little of the weapons and money you speak of but they battled to a standstill an air force that should have taken control of Ukrainian skies in a matter of hours.  They stopped two mobilized columns moving to surround Kyiv.   They resisted in Mariopoul and Kherson and Kharkiv.  None of those astonishing underdog victories had much to do with Western support and everything to do with the Ukrainian people as defined by the Revolution of Dignity coming together to finally throw off the Russian yoke or die trying.
  • I think it is telling that you don't even consider Russia  a first world country anymore.  Under Putin's dictatorship, Russia has sank from a G8 nation to a G20 to a pariah outlaw state that isn't even considered first world economy anymore.  Where would Russia be today if Putin had been limited to a one or two term president.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
When does the “American Taliban” get crates of money and weapons? ;(
Did you go deep into Federal debt for college? Oh wait....no money for doing that...let me think on this.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@oromagi
"Even as the Russian Army flees back to their borders leaving their unburied comrades behind they still have and always have had more more tanks, missiles, jets, helicopters, training, equipment, food than the army they are running from."

Russia's total yearly budget for conventional military is about 50 billion dollars per year.
In less than a year Ukraine was supplied with 60 billion dollars worth of most advanced artillery, anti tank and anti air weapons by the world.

So, in less than a year Ukraine received budget larger than Russia's military yearly budget by 10 billion.

Which is when Ukraine actually started to "beat back".

Also, lets be real. US weapons are far better than Russia's weapons.

HIMARS guided artillery greatly outmatches Russia's artillery. 

US Javelins can destroy any Russian tank.

And portable AA launchers pretty much obliterated Russia's most advanced helicopters.

So its not Ukraine thats beating Russia. Its the US thats really winning there.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Best.Korea
You talk about "winning", but Russia has said from the start they only wanted the Donbas. Not the strawman Kiev.

Who controls the Donbas right now? help me out here.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Greyparrot
Russia is in control of Donbas.

So why did I say that US is currently winning?

The US inflicts casualties to Russia without using its own troops.

US gets to test its weapons against Russia's military without being at war with Russia.

Russia has to defend its position against most advanced conventional weapons handed to Ukraine.

This puts Russia in bad spot. War will last until Russia or Ukraine give up on their goals. And Russia cant give up on its goals.

So Ukraine has to give up or face a very long war.

The only winner here is US. The longer the war lasts, more of Russia's equipment will be destroyed.

Further, the US is not losing money, but more like investing it.
If US can show how its weapons are good and better than Russia's, US will be able to sell more of them around the world.

US achieved many of its goals in Ukraine. Of course, the Ukraine pays the price. While Ukraine is getting advanced weapons, they are also challenging Russia to use more destructive force against them.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
What do you think about Ted Cruz's opinion of McConnel?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
What do you think about Ted Cruz's opinion of McConnel?
I fully support him. McConnell’s decision to spend in Alaska over Arizona is inexcusable, and it shows poor judgement.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
McConnell Definitely is the favorite choice of the lobbyist class. 

This is the Democracy we saved.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@oromagi
We have been supplying military and economic aid to Ukraine for many years now. The US alone gave ~$2billion from 2014-2018. And while Russia may have more tanks and planes, that doesn’t mean a whole lot by itself.

That thinking is reminiscent of Romney’s debate point that we have less boats in our Navy than we did in 1917. I, for one, think our 2022 Navy would beat our 1917 Navy in a battle. While it is hard to gauge the overall quality of Russian equipment, there have been reports of early Cold War tanks being used (T-62s were introduced in 1961). So even if Ukraine has less, that by no means indicates that they are at a disadvantage.

Additionally, there are big considerations of home field advantage at play- they know their own terrain and infrastructure better than the Russians do.

And I do think Ukraine undoubtedly has their heart in the fight moreso than the Russians, which can’t be underestimated. Although, my contention is your claim that this is solely due to “democracy”. I think that having your kinfolk killed by an aggressor is a far stronger motivator than some abstract democratic ideal.

I think it is telling that you don't even consider Russia  a first world country anymore.  Under Putin's dictatorship, Russia has sank from a G8 nation to a G20 to a pariah outlaw state that isn't even considered first world economy anymore.  Where would Russia be today if Putin had been limited to a one or two term president
While I’ve never defended his economic policies (Russian economics is a little too niche for even me), Russia’s GDP per capita did rise from $1,772 in 2000 to $11,536 in 2019 (pre-COVID). The overall GDP grew from $259.7B to $1,693B https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/RUS/russia/gdp-gross-domestic-product pulling data from World Bank

That and considering Russia is one of the major emerging “BRIC” economies, I don’t think he’s done poorly based on the numbers

Now, that’ll quite likely no longer be the case due to mass sanctioning, but the numbers speak for themselves
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
I saw this on Twitter and it sums it up perfectly:

McCarthy
McConnell
McDaniels

McFailure
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ILikePie5
McCarthy
McConnell
McDaniels

McFailure

Why do you hate Irish people?
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
The Trump administration, including Jared Kushner, Mr. Trump’s son-in-law, had close ties with Saudi Arabia during Mr. Trump’s tenure in the White House. Mr. Kushner has also received financial support from the Saudi government, a $2 billion investment in his newly formed private equity firm, Affinity Partners.

But Hunter Biden!

House Oversight Committee Republicans also released a 32-page interim staff report on their Biden family investigation on Thursday. The final pages of the report say that the investigations into Biden family businesses will continue in order to inform legislation “regarding government employees’ family members’ ability to lobby or engage government officials for financial gain.”

Hmm, gee isn’t that what the Trump family is doing?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
This isn't a TDS thread Jarhead.

If you wanna talk about the OP feel free.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@bmdrocks21

We have been supplying military and economic aid to Ukraine for many years now. The US alone gave ~$2billion from 2014-2018.

And while Russia may have more tanks and planes, that doesn’t mean a whole lot by itself.
  • Tell that to Georgia
While it is hard to gauge the overall quality of Russian equipment, there have been reports of early Cold War tanks being used (T-62s were introduced in 1961). So even if Ukraine has less, that by no means indicates that they are at a disadvantage.
  • Global Firepower has consistently ranked Russian miltary power as the second most powerful military in the world (with the US far in advance) every years since it began ranking in 2006 (excepting 2010) in spite of being consistently outspent by China, India, etc.  Ukraine was nowhere close until the Russian invasion began in 2014 and only ranked 22nd in 2021.
    • Expect those rankings to change dramatically this year
Additionally, there are big considerations of home field advantage at play- they know their own terrain and infrastructure better than the Russians do.
  • You are trying to disprove Ukraine a Greek vs. Persia, David vs. Goliath type underdog here.  The Greeks also had home field advantage.
my contention is your claim that this is solely due to “democracy”.
  • False. 
    • GP claimed that "American style" Democracy hurt Ukraine: "You see where that kind of Democracy landed Ukraine."
    • I said "Russians had more of everything except Democracy. "
      • "solely due to "democracy" is  entirely your invention and not a statement I would defend.
      • The advantages of Democracy are manifest and many fold but the statement was as much to explain Putin's failures in intelligence, moral, competance as Ukrainian cohesion.
        •  The reason Putin is losing so many generals in combat is because a lack of democracy- you can't give have a lot firepower too remote from the chain of command in a dictatorship, so generals have  to control power from forward positions.
        • Troops in the field are afraid to honestly report shortages and defeats because bad news is punished in Putin's Russia.
        • The reason Putin doesn't know that the Russian people don't consider Ukraine an enemy is because he is insulated from any criticism by his people
        • Since 2018, commands are subordinated to poltical directors, as it was in the old Soviet armies- loyalty to Putin is prioritized above miltary competance or strategic ability.
  Where would Russia be today if Putin had been limited to a one or two term president
Russia’s GDP per capita did rise from $1,772 in 2000 to $11,536 in 2019 (pre-COVID).
That and considering Russia is one of the major emerging “BRIC” economies, I don’t think he’s done poorly based on the numbers
  • I asked where would Russia be today if Putin had been limited to one or two terms (2004 or 2008).
    • from $1,772 in 2000 to $4,102 in 2004
    • from $1,772 in 2000 to $11,635 in 2008
    • $11,635 in 2008 to $11,536 in 2019 means GDP per cap has flattened out since Putin became dictator in 2008
      • Per capita is  also a bit deceptive since Russian pop has declined since 2000.
    • Calling Russia "developing" or "emerging" is definitely as step down from its 20th century "First World" desgination
      • Investopedia:  "After the 2008-2009 financial crisis the economic and political fortunes of the Big Four began to diverge, and only India and China now appear to have met expectations."
        • That is, Russia stopped being a BRIC economy right about the time Putin moved from elected leader to dictator for life.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
  • That includes Trump's blackmail $400 million
400 million for peace or 60 billion for death....

What a dilemma here.

• I said "Russians had more of everything except Democracy. "
You clearly don't have clue one about Ukraine. Eastern Ukrainians in the Donbas have had zero opportunities for Democracy because of Zelensky's Euromaidan revolution. Putin had nothing to do with that, but America sure did with the financial support to "pro American Democracy"

Americans have a similar crony Democracy because all policies go through the lobby oligarchy headed by then Pelosi and McConnell who have support near single digits among the American voters.

We don't need that kind of Democracy, neither do the Ukrainians in the Donbas.