How Young Does Someone Have to be to Choose Their Sexuality?

Author: YouFound_Lxam

Total: 103
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Legal definition of theft: Theft is the taking of another person's personal property with the intent of depriving that person of the use of their property. Also referred to as larceny.

Legal definition of property: property. n. anything that is owned by a person or entity. Property is divided into two types: "real property," which is any interest in land, real estate, growing plants or the improvements on it, and "personal property" (sometimes called "personality"), which is everything else.

The child was gifted this item. It was bought and given by the parent. If you really think it is theft to punish your kids by taking away things you gave them, then I suggest you take it up with the law. 

Kids can't and don't legally own anything without legal documentation of the parents saying they do. 
Malarkey. Minors have a legal right to personal possessions, such as that which they acquire through purchase, gift, or trade, so long as those items weren't acquired through contract, which minors can't enter without a parent's cosign. So for example, if a 12 year-old minor is gifted an PS5 by a friend, then legally the parents have no ownership over it; if said 12 year-old uses a five dollar reward after helping a neighbor straighten out his/her garage to purchase sweets, then legally, the parents have no ownership over it. If the parents gift their 12 year-old minor a flat-screen TV, a gift being a legal transfer of property, then the parents no longer have ownership over it. And this is just analyzing it from a legal standpoint.

Laws and regulations don't even let kids have their parents' inheritance until they are 18 years of age.
Three guesses as to where I stand on that?

Yes, the arm does belong to the kid,
Good, we've come to an understanding.

but you don't want to use that argument
I'm already using that argument.

because I could say the same about the kid's life.
You could.

So is it morally right, and does the kid have the right to take his own life.
Yes. Every individual, minor or adult has the right to take his or her own life.

Now I don't know about you, but I wouldn't argue that suicide is morally ok.
I would, but that subject can be discussed more in depth elsewhere.

What flawed reasoning?

Athias Post #66:
And if you're not conceding that the kid's arm belongs to said kid, then you're are tacitly suggesting that the kid's body belongs to his parents or the State. And if that's the case, you are applying the same flawed reasoning as YouFound_Lxam. Because if the parents' or State's interests over an individual's body matter more or take priority, then you have no choice but to accept the logical extension of your premise which would even be maintained under circumstances where the State coerces these children or parents coerce their children into physical transitions.

Yes, this is exactly what parents can do. This is why we need good parents to RAISE good kids.
No disagreement, here.

This is wrong. This exact thinking is why our society is declining. People are thinking too hard into argument about why it's right for a kid to do what they want with their body, BUT ITS NOT. There is a reason that kids aren't allowed to drink, get tattoos, own guns, own property or businesses, or make medically life changing decisions, because if that was all legal, then most of the kids in the world, who have parents that don't care for or love them will not make it.
It's difficult to instruct kids on certain directives if the adults around them don't set a proper example. Personally, I don't think kids should drink, do drugs, or get tattoos. But you know what? I don't think adults should either. (My opinion is not affected by some arbitrary division.) With that said, my interests don't at all qualify or modify their right to behave their bodies as they see fit. Individual autonomy is fundamental to bettering a society. We are either individuals or subjects to the few.

Yes, THAT IS MY EXACT POINT. 
Just to make sure I understand you correctly--your position is that a nine year-old experiencing the same unfortunate circumstances as Aron Ralston would be unjustified in amputating his/her own arm by mere virtue of his/her being nine years-old? What would the nine year-old  be justified in doing under those circumstances?

If parents weren't legally responsible for their children, there would be a lot more child abuse than if they weren't your contradicting yourself. 
Where did I contradict myself? Point out or reference the argument I contradicted.

This is just what happens when one parent is gone from the household. 
I am by no means endorsing that parent's shouldn't assume responsibility for their children. My position is that this responsibility shouldn't be the consequence of coercion. Parents' time, labor, and resources ARE GIFTS, NOT DEBTS.

Yes, they are different, because if you have a kid who wants to chop off their limb when they are a child, then they are too scientifically immature to see the consequences,
How does science qualify one's capacity to bear interest over one's own body? Isn't the science angle just a red herring? After all, we are discussing the abstract, right? You're essentially trying to add credibility to your stance by employing some pseudo-scientific platitude. How many years of experimentation and lab trials did it take for my desires over my body to become legitimate? What about countries and cultures all over the word who have either a lower or higher age of majority than the United States? Did they ignore  "the science"?

By the time that comes around, they will have learned years more experience about the world. If they don't learn, that's on either you the parent, or their ignorance. But there is a huge chance they will just laugh off how stupid they were when they were a child. 
You're projecting.

Of course, your child is allowed to have interests
So long as those interests are under the parents' or State's command, relegating said child as property of the parents and/or State.

but since you as the parent love your child
One can love one's child and respect the fact that one's child's body belongs to the child.

you don't want them to hurt themselves
Then persuade your child against it. Thought experiment: if your child wanted to cut their arm off, what would you do?

Aron Ralston had to cut off his arm, because he would have died if he hadn't.
I'm going to presume that you didn't know who Aron Ralston was when you first responded to my statement.

He didn't just feel like doing that,
Never said that he did.

he had to sacrifice his body part to save something more important, his life.
Which was first and foremost, HIS DECISION. If he decided to stay and die because he couldn't bear the thought of experiencing the pain of amputating his own arm with a dull knife, then that would have been up to him as well. It wouldn't have mattered whether you or I thought it was justified. It only mattered what he thought. It's his body; his choice.

If you're going to use Aron Ralston to argue this, then that's a bad example.
It's actually the perfect example. It demonstrates that your stances are mostly opinionated. They're inconsistent, lack principle, and change with the circumstances.

"During adolescence, brains undergo continued growth, and different sections of the brain develop at different rates. The emotional centers of the brain, towards the middle and back, develop first. Maybe you’ve heard of the amygdala or hippocampus before — these are the areas of the brain that play a big part in how people feel and react. On the other hand, the front part of the brain, the prefrontal cortex, is involved in reasoning and weighing decisions. Adolescents’ emotional centers mature before their decision-making centers. In other words, teen brains are programmed to have strongly developed emotional responses even as the part of the brain that interprets and calms those emotions is still actively developing."
Which among these sources DISQUALIFIES a minor's capacity to not only bear interests over his or her body but also retain priority over how his or her body is behaved?
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Athias
Malarkey. Minors have a legal right to personal possessions, such as that which they acquire through purchase, gift, or trade, so long as those items weren't acquired through contract, which minors can't enter without a parent's cosign. So for example, if a 12 year-old minor is gifted an PS5 by a friend, then legally the parents have no ownership over it; if said 12 year-old uses a five dollar reward after helping a neighbor straighten out his/her garage to purchase sweets, then legally, the parents have no ownership over it. If the parents gift their 12 year-old minor a flat-screen TV, a gift being a legal transfer of property, then the parents no longer have ownership over it. And this is just analyzing it from a legal standpoint.
If a mom takes a child's phone away, even though the child did pay for that phone then yes, the child can make an argument and take it to court.
But what jury is going to take the child's side. 
And even if the child wanted to sue, they would have to have even more money for that.

So theoretically, this is true, but in what case would the child win?

Three guesses as to where I stand on that?
nope.

Yes. Every individual, minor or adult has the right to take his or her own life.
Well, even though someone could take their life and have no consequences (besides the fact that they are dead) it is still illegal, so no they do not have that right.

I would, but that subject can be discussed more in depth elsewhere.
.... yikes. 

It's difficult to instruct kids on certain directives if the adults around them don't set a proper example. Personally, I don't think kids should drink, do drugs, or get tattoos. But you know what? I don't think adults should either. (My opinion is not affected by some arbitrary division.) With that said, my interests don't at all qualify or modify their right to behave their bodies as they see fit. Individual autonomy is fundamental to bettering a society. We are either individuals or subjects to the few.
I agree with you on this 100%.
But, those things exist, and people who make bad desertions also exist. So, what do we do about that?
We make it legal, but only for people who have reached a certain maturity level, and age to make the decision on whether to make that decision or not.

Just to make sure I understand you correctly--your position is that a nine year-old experiencing the same unfortunate circumstances as Aron Ralston would be unjustified in amputating his/her own arm by mere virtue of his/her being nine years-old? What would the nine year-old  be justified in doing under those circumstances?
No. This would be a different case. In cases like this it would be acceptable, given it would save the child's life.

Parents' time, labor, and resources ARE GIFTS, NOT DEBTS.
Well, the parent did decide to have the child in the first place, so it seems more than fair for the law to hold them up to those standards.

How does science qualify one's capacity to bear interest over one's own body?
Because science has shown that children are immature, therefore children shouldn't make a life altering decision, given that they don't even understand their own bodies yet.

So long as those interests are under the parents' or State's command, relegating said child as property of the parents and/or State.
Yes, because if the child's interest is something like killing people, then that would be illegal.

One can love one's child and respect the fact that one's child's body belongs to the child.
You bring up a good point, but then there needs to be a line. At what point, does child's decision on her/his own body become morally unacceptable.

if your child wanted to cut their arm off, what would you do?
Again, good point, and to answer this question, I would just tell them all the things they wouldn't be able to do with their arm. But if your child just ignores all of your points, then should the child be able to still make that decision. No because no matter how much a child argues about something, it always comes back down to the parents' choice.

I'm going to presume that you didn't know who Aron Ralston was when you first responded to my statement.
I am very aware of who Aron Ralston is. 

Which was first and foremost, HIS DECISION.
Yes, because he was going to die.

Which among these sources DISQUALIFIES a minor's capacity to not only bear interests over his or her body but also retain priority over how his or her body is behaved?
All of them. You would know if you listened to my argument.

This is not a matter of what we think should happen, it's a matter of what morally right.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Love is a fantasy version of an electro-chemical reaction we apply to a base necessity.
Chernobyl
Debates: 2
Chernobyl
One does not choose his sexuality. He can only explore it throughout the course of his life, and eventually come to a conclusion (which - however - may still change during his life).
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Chernobyl
If people can choose to eat a food they find unpleasant at first,
But come to acquire a taste for liking it,

If people can choose to give in to their anger or calm,
Act one way or another,
Deepening a psychological rut in their mind, that is difficult to remove one's wheel from,

If one can feed sadness with isolation, lack of diet, and much pain,

What can't be chosen?

. . .
Well, some things I suppose,
But difficult to choose 'once addicted to a drug, or in a psychological rut, a tumor in one's brain, or weak will and peer pressured.

But practically speaking, generally speaking,
One's will can go in directions,
Be encouraged from inward, outward, here and there.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
Love is a fantasy version of an electro-chemical reaction we apply to a base necessity.
Yes, as are all human emotions.... your point?

16 days later

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
If a mom takes a child's phone away, even though the child did pay for that phone then yes, the child can make an argument and take it to court.
But what jury is going to take the child's side. 
Unfortunately, it is commonplace for the opinions of a majority to infract upon one's proprietary right.

Well, even though someone could take their life and have no consequences (besides the fact that they are dead) it is still illegal, so no they do not have that right.
LEGAL PRIVILEGE =/= RIGHT.

I agree with you on this 100%.
But, those things exist, and people who make bad desertions also exist. So, what do we do about that?
It isn't up to us to "do anything about it" unless the concerned party REQUESTS our input.

We make it legal, but only for people who have reached a certain maturity level, and age to make the decision on whether to make that decision or not.
How "mature" does one have to be make a decision on behalf of one's own self? Doesn't the fact that this division changes among not just countries but also states reflect how arbitrary these attempts to quantify maturity are? And even in the absurdity that one could quantify maturity, how are qualifications and disqualifications decided? 

No. This would be a different case. In cases like this it would be acceptable, given it would save the child's life.
And what qualifies you to determine that which is acceptable for the child as it concerns that child's own body, and disqualifies the child concerned? Aren't you just making my point that you're prioritizing your own interests over said child's/person's body, making them subjects to your whim?

Well, the parent did decide to have the child in the first place
Which determines what? How does deciding to have a child create a debt to said child? If anything, wouldn't it be the other way around?

so it seems more than fair for the law to hold them up to those standards.
Please elaborate.

Because science has shown that children are immature, therefore children shouldn't make a life altering decision, given that they don't even understand their own bodies yet.
Explain how IMMATURITY = DISQUALIFICATION TO BEHAVE MY BODY AS I SEE FIT. Are there no "immature" adults?

Yes, because if the child's interest is something like killing people, then that would be illegal.
Except the focus of our discussion is the child's interest over his/her own body, not whether a child's killing people is legal or illegal. Please stay on topic.

You bring up a good point, but then there needs to be a line. At what point, does child's decision on her/his own body become morally unacceptable.
Never. The child's body belongs to the child.

Again, good point, and to answer this question, I would just tell them all the things they wouldn't be able to do with their arm. But if your child just ignores all of your points, then should the child be able to still make that decision. No because no matter how much a child argues about something, it always comes back down to the parents' choice.
So how would you attempt to prevent your child for cutting his/her arm off in the event he/she ignores your attempt at suasion?

I am very aware of who Aron Ralston is. 
Then explain this:

YouFound_Lxam Post #72:
--> @Athias
Aron Ralston is completely justified in amputating his own arm, but if a nine year-old were facing the same circumstances, it would be against humanity, life, nature, and all moral codes for said nine year-old to cut off his or her own arm?
Yes, THAT IS MY EXACT POINT. 
YouFound_Lxam Post #92:
Why'd you change your position so suddenly?

Yes, because he was going to die.
Does that matter? What if he wasn't going to die?

All of them.
Cite or reference the text within the sources you referenced which explains/justifies the disqualification minors face when making decisions about themselves.

You would know if you listened to my argument.
I can't listen to your argument; I have read it though.

This is not a matter of what we think should happen, it's a matter of what morally right.
What is morally right about prioritizing your interests over the body of someone else?

43 days later

AleutianTexan
Debates: 4
AleutianTexan
-->
@K_Michael
@Intelligence_06
K_Michael,

Hormone blockers have permanent effects? I've always heard they didn't.

Intelligence_06,

and forcing children to be "gay", "straight" or "transgender" wouldn't make sense before that.
Gay and straight are sexualities. Transgender is a gender identity. A trans woman can be straight (sleep with men) or gay (sleep with women), just as a cis woman can be straight or gay.

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
Hormone blockers have permanent effects? I've always heard they didn't.
"There are no known irreversible effects of puberty blockers. If you decide to stop taking them, your body will go through puberty just the way it would have if you had not taken puberty blockers at all."

K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@AleutianTexan
If children with male genitalia begin using GnRH analogues early in puberty, they might not develop enough penile and scrotal skin for certain gender affirming genital surgical procedures, such as penile inversion vaginoplasty. Alternative techniques, however, are available.
In other words, small pp

Possible long-term side effects of puberty blockers
  • Lower bone density. To protect against this, we work to make sure every patient gets enough exercise, calcium and vitamin D, which can help keep bones healthy and strong. We also closely monitor patients’ bone density.
  • Delayed growth plate closure, leading to slightly taller adult height.  
  • Less development of genital tissue, which may limit options for gender affirming surgery (bottom surgery) later in life.
  • Other possible long-term side effects that are not yet known.

I'm not sure about these, and for some it may still be worth. But puberty blockers are relatively new and may have more side effects we don't know about yet.
Hormone replacement before puberty definitely causes permanent changes, such as breast development for those on estrogen.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
If you think you can choose your sexuality then you can go gay any second, right? 
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
If you think you can choose your sexuality then you can go gay any second, right? 
If they had to choose thier sexuality, that means it could have gone either way, I think they are gay and going gay is just a matter of coming out.

YouFoundLxam is a flamboyant drama queen that had to look in a book to decide, he's just one big wig away from RuPaul's Drag Race. 
IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
That is a good question, but the main reason to change sex as early as possible is that people with gender dysphoria don't want to go through the physical changes experienced in puberty and adolescence because that will make them someone that they don't like to be. The problem with that is that we are going to have a few that will regret their decision, so...

It's a serious dilemma to be honest, but I understand that some transwomen would have liked not to have a strong manly voice or wide shoulders. Lol.