What is your debate style?

Author: Sir.Lancelot

Total: 14
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
Everyone has a certain way in which they argue. Like chess, some people play aggressive, while others opt for defense. 

You don’t have to go into explicit detail about what tactics or strategies you use, but in general, how would you describe your debating style? 
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
I do not have one and that is what makes me incredibly good at it.

If you think I am just offense, that is just recently here because I noticed that most voters respect and value rebuttals much more than original contentions.

I can sweettalk most, when it really counts. I have a silvertongue of sorts. I am an incredible negotiator and such... when I want to be.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
My background in live debating definitely informs my style in written debates, though I can't say that the two are identical. There's certainly a parliamentary style to my debating, with the aim usually being to tell a story with my arguments (meaning they rarely function wholly independently of one another) and try to focus on generating substantial impacts. That being said, my arguments are usually the weakest aspects of my debates, and I tend to play more offense than defense, focusing chiefly on rebuttals, either knocking down or turning arguments in my favor. I also tend to emphasize things like the framing of the debate, the burdens involved, and focus on crystallizing the debate at the end, so while I can (and do) often get bogged down in the details, I try to keep an eye on the bigger picture.
Best.Korea
Debates: 270
Best.Korea
I am not sure if what I do counts as debating.

I upset people by posting retarded and weird stuff.

Its fun for me.

I do sometimes put more effort into it.

Sometimes I spend weeks writting the dumbest things I can think of.

I write everything down.

I guess the key is never to give up. Well, I did become lazy lately.

I am like that old man hiding in the bush and throwing poop at people who pass by.

I spent months studying the thoughts of leaders like Mao and Kim Jong Il. They were good at upsetting people, and the method of "learning from the best" usually works.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Best.Korea
I am not sure if what I do counts as debating.

I upset people by posting retarded and weird stuff.

Its fun for me.

I do sometimes put more effort into it.

Sometimes I spend weeks writting the dumbest things I can think of.

I write everything down.

I guess the key is never to give up. Well, I did become lazy lately.

I am like that old man hiding in the bush and throwing poop at people who pass by.

I spent months studying the thoughts of leaders like Mao and Kim Jong Il. They were good at upsetting people, and the method of "learning from the best" usually works.
Did you just confess to trolling?
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@SirAnonymous
They’ve always been pretty open about it.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Relaxed and satirical.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
For written debates, my first goal is to entertain the audience, followed closely by being informative with research.
And yes, I really hate it when an opponent proclaims that I haven't convinced them, therefore I must be wrong. I show the audience why they are wrong, and the smarter of my opponents revise their thinking.

Of course my in person tactics are vastly different.
Novice_II
Debates: 98
Novice_II
I certainly don't waste time doing stupid things like "entertaining the audience," or "telling a story" (using a face interpretation of them respectively as they could just be gibberish upon reflection). Of course, the two respective users that observe these courses of actions both ran away from debating me, so I wonder if that is indicative. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Novice_II
Question was what your style is, not what it isn't. It's like you're trying to seduce a woman (or man) by pointing out some dudes you're not like, constantly, the whole first date.
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
I don’t like beating around the bush or sugarcoating, I’m direct and in your face with verifiable fact based truths. Even the kind that hurt, but it’s still the truth nonetheless. 

I’m also quick to call you out for either being dense on purpose or being incredibly obtuse. I have little to no patience for ignorant people and their dead horse mindset. As such, I’ll only beat the dead horse for so long before walking away and letting it rot. 

That being said, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt that they have the requisite emotional and intellectual intelligence to engage me in a debate/discussion, until they prove me wrong (9 out of 10x they always do), then the above kicks in. 
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
I try to be polite. I've migrated more towards regular argumentative essays lately. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Barney
How big do you think the audience is.

I haven't checked lately, but the average used to be about 2.5.
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@zedvictor4
I assume there are more casual readers than voters. Sadly, some voters are not among the readers.