ChatGPT

Author: badger

Total: 18
badger
Debates: 0
badger
So are any of you using ChatGPT to write your debate rounds yet? I've pasted in a few rounds and asked it to write its own counters and they're seriously impressive. Keeps context too, so further rounds remain impressive/human-like.

Pretty sure you could bot your way high onto the leaderboard with this thing. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 569
RationalMadman
GreyParrotTechnology
Best.Korea
Debates: 276
Best.Korea
I asked AI to write an argument that supports the claim "Corporal punishment of children is not beneficial in most cases".

This is what I managed to get out of it:

"It is widely accepted that corporal punishment of children is not beneficial and can have serious long-term consequences. Studies have shown that physical punishment does not lead to better long-term behavior or improved learning, but instead can lead to increased aggression, depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues. Additionally, physical punishment can lead to a decrease in communication between children and parents, as well as an increased risk of physical and sexual abuse.

To support this argument, here are some links to relevant sources:
• “Corporal Punishment: Research Summary” - https://www.apa.org/pi/families/resources/corporal-punishment
• “The Effects of Corporal Punishment on Children” - https://www.verywellfamily.com/the-effects-of-corporal-punishment-on-children-1095062
• “Corporal Punishment: An Overview” - https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/corporal.pdf

Corporal punishment of children is associated with a number of physical and mental health problems, including aggression, paranoia, depression, and low self-esteem.

Corporal punishment does not teach children the skills they need to be successful, such as self-control, problem-solving, and communication skills.

Studies have shown that the use of physical punishment is associated with increased rates of delinquency, violence, and criminal behavior later in life.

Corporal punishment is associated with a higher risk of abuse, as it can lead to a cycle of violence and can be interpreted by a child as a sign that violence is an acceptable way of dealing with conflict.

Corporal punishment can be a traumatic experience for a child, leading to feelings of humiliation, powerlessness, and a lack of trust in adults.

The use of corporal punishment can lead to a lack of respect for authority and a disregard for the rights of others.

Corporal punishment does not provide children with the opportunity to learn from their mistakes and instead relies on fear and intimidation to control their behavior.

Corporal punishment of children is not beneficial and should not be used as a means of discipline. Studies have found that physical punishment is not only ineffective in changing a child’s behavior in the long term, but can also cause emotional, psychological and physical harm to the child.

Furthermore, physical punishment can lead to an increased risk of physical and sexual abuse and can damage the relationship between parents and children, as the child may become fearful or resentful of their parents.

Moreover, physical punishment can send a message to the child that violence is an acceptable way to resolve conflicts. This can lead to the child taking out their frustrations in an aggressive manner and can increase the likelihood of the child using physical punishment on their own children in the future.
Studies have found that the use of physical punishment is associated with an increased risk of aggression, antisocial behavior, and mental health issues in children. It can also lead to poorer academic performance, lower self-esteem and an increased risk of substance use.

Instead of physical punishment, parents should use positive discipline methods such as setting clear expectations and rules for children, providing consistent consequences for misbehavior, and teaching problem-solving skills.

People who were spanked as children may be supporting spanking because they believe it is an effective way to discipline children. Some people may be supporting spanking simply out of habit, without giving much thought to the potential negative long-term effects

Studies have shown that spanking can have a number of detrimental effects on a child's psychological development, including increased aggression and behavior problems, lower self-esteem, and an increased risk of mental health issues. Additionally, spanking can lead to a decrease in trust between the parent and child and can create a cycle of violence in which spanking becomes an accepted form of discipline. Therefore, the claim that "most children who were spanked grew up fine" is inaccurate and overlooks the potential long-term negative impacts of spanking.

Spanking of children as punishment is not beneficial, as it does not teach children how to constructively deal with their emotions.

Studies have also shown that physical punishment is ineffective in promoting long-term behavior change in children and can lead to children becoming more resistant to discipline. Furthermore, spanking can lead to physical and emotional trauma in children, which can have long-term negative effects on their mental and physical health. Instead of spanking, parents should use positive reinforcement and other forms of discipline, such as reward systems and time-outs, to teach children how to manage their emotions and behave appropriately."

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@badger
I can assure the AI will nitpick topics less effectively than me because the aim on AI linguistics was almost always based on pragmatics as opposed to semantics.
badger
badger
-->
@Intelligence_06
I pasted in Novice's first round in Novice and oro's debate and it made the exact same definitional argument oro and everyone else saw re: slavery is defined as humans owning humans, therefore animals cannot be slaves.

You should try it out, it's pretty nitpicky. 
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@badger
Because at such topics, this level of nitpicking is enough.

Some of my topics have semantical approaches that require thousands of characters of buildup for it to work. I highly doubt AI has such patience.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@badger
I wonder if you could get it to determine who it think won debate.   GPT said it could given the criteria for winning.

badger
badger
-->
@oromagi
I actually tried to do that but I copied and pasted the thing in full which was too much for it. But as I said, it remembers context. Maybe you could try pasting round by round and getting miniature evaluations in between. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@badger

So I fed it all the arguments from this debate and it did an incredible job of sorting out the main points and rebuttals and describing.  It identified both arguments as well reasoned and well supported but flat out refused to express a preference for one relative to the other in terms of quality of reasoning, quality of sources.  GPT thought that grammar was an inappropriate measure of quality argument.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@badger
The slippery slope of AI dependency.

Though I assume that's the way things are meant to evolve.

People will soon need an app to wipe their arses.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@zedvictor4
The scenario from Terminator is becoming a reality.
Barney
Debates: 51
Barney
-->
@badger
Thanks for sharing that.

I would hate for debaters to just use this, but certainly it's a good idea feed any resolution into it to get an opinion.

I kind of wish it could just be told to argue any side to something.

Another thing to note is that its knowledgebase is limited and ripe with inaccuracies. 

Why do marines eat crayons?

There is no evidence to suggest that marines, or members of any other military branch, eat crayons. This is likely an urban myth or a baseless rumor that has been circulated without any factual basis.
It is important to remember that it is never a good idea to spread misinformation or false rumors, as it can cause confusion and harm. It is always best to verify information before sharing it, to ensure that it is accurate and reliable.
I've known plenty of marines, and the only one who denied eating crayons is a schizophrenic.
badger
badger
-->
@Barney
I kind of wish it could just be told to argue any side to something.

It seems a lot more careful these days. I had a lot more fun with it the few days after it was released. Could make it write anything at all.

The real power of it is actually as a developer's tool. This thing can code like nothing else. 
Barney
Barney
-->
@badger
You can tell it to code?!
badger
badger
-->
@Barney
I use it pretty much everyday to help me code, it's becoming a real crutch already tbh. Stackoverflow recently banned answers by ChatGPT (actually what made me post it here, thinking you guys could ban it) for a supposed high rate of incorrectness, but that's just posturing. ChatGPT will be its usurper. The remembering context thing just makes it that you can drilldown to what you need so easily, it's like having your own dedicated Stackoverflow, ChatGPT with nothing better to be doing than answering your questions and writing your code.

But yes, it is fucking impressive. I've seen people convert whole websites to different languages with it. I've seen people build websites from scratch with it. It's doing half my job for me already tbh. At least, it figures out all the niggly bits. It is a seriously impressive tool. 
Barney
Barney
-->
@badger
Just tried it out on some of my Python class assignments, and damn! 

Not that it could have done everything for me, but it would have avoided all the false starts which took so damned much of my time!
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
They need to make AI that can troll people. That would be fun and would contribute to global warning.
badger
badger
-->
@Barney
Curious what you were trying to get it to solve. I'm pretty sure I could direct this thing to write me pretty much anything. Just, ya know, easier to code it yourself sometimes.