Any Websites Like YouTube But Mainly Educational Content For Adults?

Author: Public-Choice

Total: 14
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
[DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT LOOKING FOR CUSTOMIZING MY YOUTUBE HOMEPAGE. THAT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME FOR SOME REASON. I ALREADY TRIED THIS MULTIPLE TIMES.]

I really love the idea of YouTube, but the content on there is mostly bullshit clickbait lists, pop culture drama, liberal news, and stupid marketing pitches for movies and products.

I was wondering if there was a website that is just like YouTube that only has intellectually enriching content. 

I know about JoVE and Osmosis, which are cool, bur I'm looking for a catch-all. Not just visuals of science experiments on fringe topics or just stuff related to the human body. I am looking for a YouTube that is only educational, informative, and intellectually stimulating content for adults.

I also know there's documentary websites, but I am looking for more than documentaries. I literally am looking for a YouTube for educational and thought-provoking content.

I don't even care if it is just a special feed of YouTube videos or content in general, I just want something where educational, informative, and intellectually stimulating content is recommended for me.

Any ideas? I've scoured the internet and all I could find was stuff for children and preschoolers. So any help would be appreciated 👍.

Thanks in advance!
BearMan
Debates: 16
BearMan
Nebula?

I think it's paid tho
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@Public-Choice
If you want curated content, you essentially have three options.
1. Algorithmically curated, which maximizes for views, not your education. This is why your home page isn't what you want it to be.
2. 3rd party curation. Several platforms exist for educational content that is curated for quality, such as Brilliant, MasterClass, Coursera, Wondrium. Usually these are paid, either per lesson or as a membership, so if price is an object, this won't work either.
3. Manually curating it yourself. There are hundreds of valuable channels on YouTube that do what you want, you just need to find them. Ignore the home page recommendations if you feel they aren't helpful, google lists of similar channels instead.

Some educational channels I listen to are Kurzgesagt, Geographics, VSauce, MinuteEarth, StarTalk, THUNK, and Veritasium. There is also a decent number of PBS channels on various topics.

If you're already at a degree level of knowledge in a specific field, you may have to look for more niche channels, for instance a professional linguist would be interested in EcoLinguist.  Googling "youtube channel for [x field]" will usually produce decent results.

A few other tips to maximize your use of YouTube:

• Check the Channels tab of a channel homepage that you like (example), they will often link associated channels that are either owned by the same people or have collaborated with them in the past.
  • Use an extension like Similar Channels to find overlapping channels.
  • Some channels produce a wide variety of content that might not all be what you're interested in. Usually their homepage will have playlists of different subjects.

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Public-Choice
I really love the idea of YouTube, but the content on there is mostly bullshit clickbait lists, pop culture drama, liberal news, and stupid marketing pitches for movies and products.
Wrong. My YT homepage consists mostly of funny "dank" meme edits, flerfers and gnostic theists being "owned", and game videos, and occasionally people eating stuff or just tortuing themselves for money or content.

If your YT homepage looks like this, it is mostly either if you are never signed in or your taste in videos is way too common.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@Intelligence_06
Well, like I said, when I tried to customize it, I still got basic shit.

I also get comedy stuff too, but, for the most part, my YouTube feed is dumb content, even when I went out of my way to find smart content, it still only showed me stupid content.

The problem is YouTube, not me.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
Khan Academy
Best.Korea
Debates: 251
Best.Korea
I mostly get recommended videos of christians telling me that satan is trying to posses me 😱😱😱😱
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@Best.Korea
Yeah I see those a lot too. 😂
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
They used to be better before they went woke.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@K_Michael
I had thought of the curation route, but channels often change drastically in 3 or 5 years. Too much maintenance work lmao.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@Public-Choice
Lol how is updating your feed every 3-5 years too much work?
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@K_Michael
Because I often find that it isn't like they all change at once. It is normally they all change at different times and then I need to find a new replacement. So, in all actuality, I am updating this thing every couple of months and, plus, when YouTube changes their distribution to something other than RSS that will be a pain in the ass too.

I should mention I curated a couple music playlists for years and that's how I know this stuff happens pretty regularly.

20 days later

IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
You won't find sth like that. YT is a platform with categorised content, so you should be more specific. As in this forum, you have everything organised in topics.

I can suggest you a lot of stimulating channels but they all are in spanish.

61 days later

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Intelligence_06
My YT homepage consists mostly of funny "dank" meme edits, flerfers and gnostic theists being "owned", and game videos, and occasionally people eating stuff or just tortuing themselves for money or content.
Yeah, that sounds like YouTube alright.