Something I would support

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 37
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
Currently,  out of the meat that is made by companies, it’s 100% meat.

I would support a federal policy that requires them to go from 100% meat to 99.5% meat, .5% plant based protein.  Every year, the meat concentration goes down .5% until in 200 years, society doesn’t use it anymore.

This I think has the following benefits that would benefit Americans:
1) Eventually no more animals are dying from meat consumption anymore
2) More protein is in the meat that gets consumed, because meat (which is about 25% protein) gets replaced by something that is 100% protein.
3) Health benefits, because less saturated fat.
4) Environmental benefits, because less pollution.
5) Incrreased carrying capacity, because plant based products are more sustainable for the human race.
6) Fairly popular.  I’ve asked 3 people in my personal life what they thought of this, most of whom eat meat.  They all like it.
7) Society gets used to it no problem, because it’s tiny adjustments every year, and society won’t notice the taste difference.

Like if you agree, comment if you don’t.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
I like the idea,
Though I am unsure if meat replacement functionally replaces meat,
Or if infrastructure can support the shift.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
There are already choices for part-meat foods.

The economic market will determine the diets of humans. For instance, fewer people are eating eggs today.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
I think the infrastructure can support the shift. You’re adding in .5 grams of plant protein to your 100 gram burger and increasing the amount by .5 every year.  I think it would be easy to do.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Greyparrot
Most people aren’t going to switch to plant based foods, but everyone I interviewed in person about this said they would be cool with gradually getting there.  It just takes a government order to integrate the meats with plant protein.
Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
I abolished meat in my diet completely. Its kinda easy to do.

Do I miss the taste of meat? Yes.

However, I learned to focus on how strawberries are tasty.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
This is an interesting policy proposal. I'm curious how it would be implemented with certain products though. Ground beef, processed meats like salami or pepperoni, these seems fairly easy to mix in some alternative proteins. But you can't really do this with steak or ribs, which also tend to be more expensive. So the meat industry would have to put more than 0.5% plant protein in processed meats to make up for those that it can't be added to.

An possible alternative would be to place a high tax (10% or more) on all meat products, then cut those taxes on products that implement plant protein in accordance with the annual 0.5% increases. This would naturally make most people gravitate towards the cheaper option, as well as incentivizing restaurants to come up with other menu items to replace steak, ribs, etc. I personally prefer this option because people who really want their meat can do so, but are disincentivized to do so, especially as more and more of the companies that they buy from cave in to financial pressure.

Another benefit of the incremental change that you missed is that a flat ban on the meat industry would leave the ag industry with millions of economically worthless animals, which would likely lead to mass butchering/starvation as the farms no longer have any use for them. EDIT: Credit to RM for this idea, not me.

I do think that cultured meat is ethical, and will still be important for feeding zoo animals and pets that are carnivorous. I would honestly be just as happy with implementing this policy with the option of mixing in cultured meat OR plant protein.
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@TheUnderdog
This is strictly for hamburgers, I guess? Or do you have an idea how to make a chicken into 0.5% plant based?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ludofl3x
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Another benefit of the incremental change that you missed is that a flat ban on the meat industry would leave the ag industry with millions of economically worthless animals, which would likely lead to mass butchering/starvation as the farms no longer have any use for them.
Is a very sad truth. With billions of cows, sheep, chickens, it would be very hard to think of a "nice solution" for them. Releasing them into the wild could cause problems. There may not be enough of food sources they could live on without the help of humans.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@K_Michael
Wow jacking my logic while not accrediting (or was that a coincidence)
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@RationalMadman
Which part? The tax idea is a KM original as far as I know (not that no one else could have also come up with it), the part about millions of animals dying needlessly might have been seen on DART at some point? If you've got a link to you saying something similar I can take a look and see if it's familiar.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@RationalMadman
Wow jacking my logic while not accrediting (or was that a coincidence)
Gangsta.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@K_Michael
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@RationalMadman
Yep, that's probably why mass slaughter was in my head, I skimmed this while it was being debated. Credit to you for priming my brain to regurgitate this specifically.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@K_Michael
Thank you for the credit 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@K_Michael
@Best.Korea
Since the shift away from animal meat would take place over a long period of time,
I'd argue companies would just restock less as time went by,
Rather than a 'sudden disposal of product.
Sidewalker
Sidewalker
-->
@TheUnderdog
Since most of the animals we eat are herbivores, isn't it all plant based meat?

K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Lemming
The mass slaughter scenario was if there was a flat ban on all meat products, similar to the Prohibition on alcohol in the 1920s and '30s.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Sidewalker
plant based protein, not plant based meat. Legumes such as soy are some of the most popular in current meat alternatives.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Best.Korea
There may not be enough of food sources they could live on without the help of humans.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot

I see what you are saying. Chickens are like Republicans. Samantha Bee kicked off a 2021 episode of Full Frontal with “something that makes me smile: Republicans eating each other alive.”.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
Except that I like Chickens. I didn't know you hated chickens tho.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
Also, you watch Samantha Bee? 

This explains alot about you.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot

I know, what is a women doing in late night tv, right?   Women were happier when they were doing what God calls them to do – being barefoot (shoes are probably okay!) and pregnant in the home!
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@FLRW
It isn't the being prenant that made them happy it was that they are slowly being told not to enjoy being feminine and men being told the same for being masculine.

Women have certain hormones and brain structure that leads to them fulfilling certain roles better more often. I do not mean housewife role itself, I refer to niches, ways of acting etc The fact we are cancelled and scared to say that hurts both genders (or I guess all 7 or who knows how many).
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Tommorrow, I will make a plan.

That includes converting existing "meat-producing" animals into "eggs and milk" producing animals.

Hence, it immediatelly saves almost all animals from "the meat industry" by converting "the meat industry" to "eggs and milk" industry.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Women were happier when they were doing what God calls them to do – being barefoot (shoes are probably okay!) and pregnant in the home!
I am sure Samantha Bee would defy the odds and find a way to fuck that up too.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@TheUnderdog
It is not because using meat as opposed to mixing in alternatives is cheaper, right? Right?
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@TheUnderdog
Pointless if it is for ethical reasons. Lab grown meat is becoming more affordable by the year.