How to explain real Christianity, to non-belivers.

Author: YouFound_Lxam

Total: 269
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@RationalMadman
A modern day Jesus would be in an asylum for his schizophrenia.
You might find this amusing.

TL;DR Satan argues to Jesus that He is psychotic.
Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Is the earth over 10,000 years old.?

To me it seems, god has a thing for stars. Does he realy like em?
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Is the earth over 10,000 years old.?
The earth is estimated to be about 13.7 billion years old, give or take a few. 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Stephen
German!?
Considering that your first language is English, what bible do you accept as an accurate and literal account of the life and times of Jesus? 
The bible.........huh?

So it wasn't enough that he ruled over his own perfect and vast heavenly paradise or his hoards of heavenly angels for company?
Again, that is a question I will have to ask God. 

So the love of his heavenly hoards of angels wasn't enough for him?
Same thing. 

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@zedvictor4
Jonah and the Whale, Noah's Ark and the biblical flood are not true accounts per se.
There have been cases today of men being swallowed by large fish, not whales, and surviving. 

Historical evidence leads to the idea, of a destructive worldwide event, that was caused by non-other, than guess what? Water. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
The universe is that old but i get what you mean, you got the earth and universe age mixed up. 
All good,  thanks.  
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
German!?
Considering that your first language is English, what bible do you accept as an accurate and literal account of the life and times of Jesus? 
The bible.........huh?

Will that be the King James Version?

Jonah and the Whale, Noah's Ark and the biblical flood are not true accounts per se.
There have been cases today of men being swallowed by large fish, not whales, and surviving. 
Really?  can you give me an example or two?
And were they inside of one for three days and nights  praying to god?

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Stephen
Will that be the King James Version?
The different versions of the bible, don't mean anything different, they are just spoken with different words that are synonyms. 
You really need to do your research.
And I use New Living Translation.

Really?  can you give me an example or two?

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Christianity has a history of violence that still carries over to today. Your religion is violent whether you like it or not.
People have a history of violence. 
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
It's just so funny to me, when I make any other forum, people seem to have rational conversations about things, yet the minute I bring up Christianity, everyone comes piling in here to argue me.
I am not complaining, but every time that I have argued one of you in this forum, (not all) but most of you have went from rational questions, to beating on Christianity.

To those people, who I know some have views on this, isn't part of being inclusive of peoples feelings, also include Christianity? 
Christianity has never hurt anyone. People have hurt others with a false doctrine, but Christianity hasn't. 

You claim that Christianity is one of the worst things to exist, and it hurts people. How so?
We build churches, don't try to force anyone, believe a non-contradicting doctrine, that has a lot of moral principle. 
We give to the poor, and take care of the struggling. 
We produce music, and motivation for those who are struggling.

And the ONLY thing God asks of us, is to trust him. Nothing more. Nothing less. 
That is what we believe as Christians. 

All those false prophets and teachers, were only in it for the money. Heck there are even false prophets today. The bible even tells us this is the case. 

I can't and probably wont be ever to legitimately prove Gods existence, but isn't that proof within itself. 
If I were able to prove his existence, then no one would need faith. The bible says we can only get to heaven through faith alone. So if proof was provided, then no one would have faith, therefore no one would be able to enter the kingdom of heaven. 

This forum wasn't meant to prove God, yet show others what true Christianity is. 
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
What's the debate part of your post? I mean everybody here knows what the fuck Christianity is. Most of us even know that there's a varieties of denominations and want most of those varieties practice. 

or all of those people out there who think we try to enforce this belief onto others, persecutor, and other things people might say
Christianity single-handedly almost wiped out the pagan religions of eastern and western Europe to the point that when they're practiced today those practices have to be scraped together by archeology and various limited texts. Most of which have been translated by Christians so they're not pure in their animism or polytheism. And Christianity single-handedly almost wiped out various native cultures both North and South in the Americas. And they still continue to go through Africa and try to convert that continent. There is still a struggle in the United States today which is a secular Nation with religious freedom for Christians to try to enact laws that force their morality and beliefs on the others. You are a perfect example of that. 
But I'm still not sure I find what topic you were wishing to debate in your original post.
It's a typical right wing  hypocritical attempt to associate themselves with Christianity, they are trying to change what the flag stands for, change what the word "patriot" stands for, change what the word "American" stands for, and trying to change what the word "Christian" stands for.

Most important to thier agenda, they want to claim the "them" of thier "us/them" thinking are opposed to such words.
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
What if it isn't a fantasy?
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Sidewalker
Nope.

Christian means what I said at the beginning. Not tied to being an American at all. And the same goes for vice versa. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@Public-Choice
Then god is a jackass for not giving everyone fair exposure to the facts.

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@RationalMadman
No, he teaches faith in the Bible. Having faith in him is truly loving him. Without faith in him, it is impossible to love him truly. 
rosends
rosends
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
The different versions of the bible, don't mean anything different, they are just spoken with different words that are synonyms. 
This is not true -- the various translations are driven, often, by agendas, mixing interpretation into the word choice. Look at the various translations of Is 7:14 here https://biblehub.com/parallel/isaiah/7-14.htm . You will see that the older translations that all stem from the same source have similar wording, but there are significant differences in the right column (literal) and the last 4 of the left column (contemporary).
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@rosends
Just because something sounds different, doesn't mean its different.
Taking one of the older translations:
"Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: behold, the young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."

And then one of the new ones:
"Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel."

It means the same thing. 
The lord will give you a sign, a woman will conceive and give birth to a boy, and his name will be Immanuel. 
rosends
rosends
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
No, it doesn't -- take one of the old ones:

kjv
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

and take one of the new ones:

gnt
Well then, the Lord himself will give you a sign: a young woman who is pregnant will have a son and will name him 'Immanuel.'

Are you telling me you don't see a difference?
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
Are you unable to access a Bible? Are you unable to see creation? Have you not heard the gospel?
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@rosends
Are you telling me you don't see a difference?
.....no, its just worded differently.

A woman is going to have a son named Immanuel and it is significant. That's what I take away from both. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
One of the women is a virgin, the other is a young woman. A young woman giving birth is in no way news, it's been going on a while. A virgin giving birth without having sex is quite another matter. How can you not see the difference? It seems intellectually dishonest of you to pretend they're the same thing. 
rosends
rosends
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
So you don't see any difference between a "virgin" and a "young woman" or between "shall conceive" and "is pregnant"?
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@rosends
So you don't see any difference between a "virgin" and a "young woman" or between "shall conceive" and "is pregnant"?
virgin is woman who hasn't had sex. Many young woman could be virgins. 
Also, conception is the start of pregnancy, the same thing. 

You are arguing these scriptures are inheritably different, by taking the words and picking at them. The words mean the same, and the message of the scripture is the same as well. 
rosends
rosends
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
virgin is woman who hasn't had sex. Many young woman could be virgins. 
Also, conception is the start of pregnancy, the same thing. 
Many young women are NOT virgins. Since to many, an essential element of Christianity hinges on a virgin's being pregnant, a translation which does not say that the prophecy is about a virgin would be significant.

As to the second point, the difference is in the tense of the verb (is v.s shall). 

You are arguing these scriptures are inheritably different, by taking the words and picking at them. The words mean the same, and the message of the scripture is the same as well. 

the words therefore do not mean the same thing, and the agendas of the various translations come through.

In Gen 1:21's various translations, do you see a difference between "sea-creatures", "sea-monsters", "great whales" and "great dragons"?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Ok, so which version of the bible is the right version to use? How does one decide?

Was Jesus's mom a virgin until Jesus (who is Immanuel?) was born?
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@Public-Choice
I have access to the Bible sure, not everyone does, especially in Islamic nations. They only are allowed to read it as children by acknowledging it is a semi fictional prequel and only Jesus and Mary are the real characters.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@RationalMadman
I would say Jesus was more like a budist, because some theories point out that his teachings are quite similar to older asian beliefs.

At any case, his followers were ignorant human beings who distorted his teachings according to their own beliefs (jewish), so at the end they deified poor Jesus at the point many people currently think he's the almighty God, which is not far from truth but not well explained.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@rosends
Many young women are NOT virgins. Since to many, an essential element of Christianity hinges on a virgin's being pregnant, a translation which does not say that the prophecy is about a virgin would be significant.
How do you know what the Bible meant. I think if they were trying to be vague about it, they would just say woman, and not young woman. You are calling out words that "could mean something else" if you look at it through a microscope. Do you really think that's what they meant when the wrote this?

the words therefore do not mean the same thing, and the agendas of the various translations come through.

In Gen 1:21's various translations, do you see a difference between "sea-creatures", "sea-monsters", "great whales" and "great dragons"?
Again, doesn't have to specify what creature. The bible is talking about great creatures of the sea. Doesn't have to be specified. 

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@ludofl3x
Ok, so which version of the bible is the right version to use? How does one decide?

Was Jesus's mom a virgin until Jesus (who is Immanuel?) was born?
I prefer some translations over others, but they all mean the same thing. 

In every version of the Bible, the mention of Mary being a virgin is in it. It might not be on the exact same scripture, but they do say it. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
How do you know what the Bible meant.
What's your answer to this question that would be substantively different than his answer?

In every version of the Bible, the mention of Mary being a virgin is in it. It might not be on the exact same scripture, but they do say it.
Well, not in the original Hebrew text one. Rosends points it out above.